PDA

View Full Version : Possible delistings/retirements ?

Dogs 24/7
03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Who are the most likely players to be delisted at the end of the season?

We know that McDougall is gone and there would have to be doubts on Skipper, Street (traded?), Wight and Lynch.
We couldn't afford to lose all that tall timber but quite possibly we could lose two out of Skipper, Wight and Street.

Could it also be that Scott West and even Nathan Eagleton would retire at the end of the season?

What current players will most likely not be in the red, white and blue next season?

bornadog
03-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I think its a tough question this year and don't really want to make a prediction till the end of the year.

We have some young players that have not been able to break into the team due to 13 wins from 17. Some of these guys have been showing promising form at Willy and surely will get another go next year. I think the only two that may be looked at are O'Shea and Lynch. O'Shea hasn't really adapted to AFL (Queensland boy), but may still be given a go considering his size. Lynch has been a concern due to his attitude, but that can also be turned around. Not every one adapts to coming to Melbourne, especially from the NT. Hopefuly he has settled in and may have a better 2009.

Not sure about the rookie players and how they have performed this year. I think a few have been injured.

Of the established players, West will discuss his future at the end of the year, but we must remember, he will be 35 next year.

Sockeye Salmon
03-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I think its a tough question this year and don't really want to make a prediction till the end of the year.

We have some young players that have not been able to break into the team due to 13 wins from 17. Some of these guys have been showing promising form at Willy and surely will get another go next year. I think the only two that may be looked at are O'Shea and Lynch. O'Shea hasn't really adapted to AFL (Queensland boy), but may still be given a go considering his size. Lynch has been a concern due to his attitude, but that can also be turned around. Not every one adapts to coming to Melbourne, especially from the NT. Hopefuly he has settled in and may have a better 2009.

Not sure about the rookie players and how they have performed this year. I think a few have been injured.

Of the established players, West will discuss his future at the end of the year, but we must remember, he will be 35 next year.

It's all in how you write it.

West should go on next year, he'll still be only 33 at the end of the season.

LostDoggy
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
We would lose a lot of height if Wight and Skipper were let go and Street if traded. Cordy wont be even a backup ruckman for a few years so we couldn't afford to old have two recognised rucks. I'm not sure why but I would hold onto Skipper for another season.
If we recruited or traded for an up and coming or support ruckman we might clear the decks of the three talls.

The Coon Dog
03-08-2008, 10:49 PM
It's all in how you write it.

West should go on next year, he'll still be only 33 at the end of the season.

If he retired we couldn't replace him either as we have no one to put on the veterans list.

mjp
03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
If he retired we couldn't replace him either as we have no one to put on the veterans list.

Well, he would be replaced with a rookie. I hope West doesn't retire though.

With McDougall already retired, I am kind of expecting Wight and Skipper to be delisted. They have both been on the list a number of years, and I am not convinced either have really shown the capability to be long term AFL players - they are the sort of guys you will always be trying to replace.

Street would (I think) be pretty safe...he is only an injury away from playing every week.

GVGjr
03-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Well, he would be replaced with a rookie. I hope West doesn't retire though.

With McDougall already retired, I am kind of expecting Wight and Skipper to be delisted. They have both been on the list a number of years, and I am not convinced either have really shown the capability to be long term AFL players - they are the sort of guys you will always be trying to replace.

Street would (I think) be pretty safe...he is only an injury away from playing every week.

If he is coming out of contract his form might attract some other interested clubs. If we lost him and Skipper the ruck stocks would be very thin.

Eadey Rider
03-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Given that wight has been our first go-to replacement tall this year i would be surprised if he got delisted. i reckon they'll give him one more year, and probably delist him if Cordy stands up.

Lynch i would think would be a likely delisting, given that small forwards is not a real problem area for us.

I would have thought either Street or Skipper would go, although i'm not sure which one because i haven't been able to watch Willy games. I agree it might be a stretch to get rid of both.

O'Shea is the the one i'm most worried about. I keep hearing all about his courage, but if he can't crack it into Willy seniors in his second year that ain't a great sign. I really hope he comes good. Suicidal backmen are my favourite kinds of players.

Throughandthrough
04-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Gavin Hughes will obviously be swiped off the Rookie list.

Hasn't even played a game for Norwood this year.

oh, and Cam Failkner has gone walk a bout from Central Districts, is apparently working with his Dad in Moomba. CD aren't sure when/if he'll be back.

1eyedog
04-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Wight should def be retained, huge talents like Franklin aside wasn't it Sam Newman who said in terms of player development that you should add an extra year on for every inch over 6 foot. Not that I've ever listened to Newman that closely of course.

LostDoggy
04-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Wight should def be retained, huge talents like Franklin aside wasn't it Sam Newman who said in terms of player development that you should add an extra year on for every inch over 6 foot. Not that I've ever listened to Newman that closely of course.
That extra year for Wight was this year. He was lucky to survive the last.
Not saying get rid of him but I won't be surprised if he goes.

LostDoggy
04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
If he is coming out of contract his form might attract some other interested clubs. If we lost him and Skipper the ruck stocks would be very thin.

I wouldn't put Skipper in the ruck stocks anyway. Just because you're tall doesn't mean you can play that position. Always looks lost when put in the ruck. I always thought he would be a CHF.

Sockeye Salmon
04-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't put Skipper in the ruck stocks anyway. Just because you're tall doesn't mean you can play that position. Always looks lost when put in the ruck. I always thought he would be a CHF.

I think exactly the opposite.

Skipper is a ruckman, just a very short one.

He has little idea about playing forward, but then very few ruckmen do become successful forwards other than for the odd cameo.

LostDoggy
04-08-2008, 02:04 PM

As a ruck he is 10X better than Wight.

G-Mo77
04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
I think exactly the opposite.

Skipper is a ruckman, just a very short one.

He has little idea about playing forward, but then very few ruckmen do become successful forwards other than for the odd cameo.

I thought his cameo up forward towards the end of last year was a very good one. It was a shame he was injured in the pre-season, well all season really. I think he has a bit to offer this side if healthy and may even break into this side before the end of season.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Wight and Skip are taking up space. They will not amount to long term players with any level of presence or impact. Time to cut the cord with Doogs which gives us 3 spots as i think Eagle and West should not retire.

LostDoggy
04-08-2008, 10:16 PM
As a ruck he is 10X better than Wight.

Agreed but I'm probably a better ruckman than Wight and I'm something like 5'10. Neither would hold a rucks spot in the VFL so why would you even consider them in the same position in the AFL.

Cooneys probably our next best after Huddo, Minson and Street... ;)

LostDoggy
04-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Agreed but I'm probably a better ruckman than Wight and I'm something like 5'10. Neither would hold a rucks spot in the VFL so why would you even consider them in the same position in the AFL.

Cooneys probably our next best after Huddo, Minson and Street... ;)

Skipper is an good VFL ruck. With Street there and injured every other week, he hardly gets a chance.