PDA

View Full Version : Experience profile of the team?

Dry Rot
24-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Saw this in today's article about Guido:

"Coming into his seventh season with 103 games to his name and turning 25 next month"

Made me wonder about the experience profile of the team, ie who has played 0-50 games, 50 -100, 100- 150 and 150 - 200 games?

Is 100 games the magic number to be considered an "experienced" AFL player?

We must have a few now like Hargrave, McMahon, Guido, Harris etc who have played > 100 games.

GVGjr
24-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Saw this in today's article about Guido:

"Coming into his seventh season with 103 games to his name and turning 25 next month"

Made me wonder about the experience profile of the team, ie who has played 0-50 games, 50 -100, 100- 150 and 150 - 200 games?

Is 100 games the magic number to be considered an "experienced" AFL player?

We must have a few now like Hargrave, McMahon, Guido, Harris etc who have played > 100 games.

In years gone by a 100 games was nothing to special but now it is quite an achievement. I regard players that have reached 80 games as significantly experienced and probably guys in the 120 to 180 as hitting their prime. Guido turns 25 next month and must start to play the type of consistent football that the article is all about.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2007, 02:57 PM
He's an experienced player now, as is Murphy, Hargrave, Gilbee, Harris etc.

Once you reach that 100 game mark or there abouts, you step up to the next "level". You divert from being a youngster trying to improve, to a player trying to establish consistency. Of course that's not the case all the time, and there's always room for improvement in other areas aside from consistency, but ultimately that's what's expected of you once you reach 100+ games.

This year is a very important year for the Club and particuarly players like Giansiracusa who have been at the Club for a while now and shown he's a very capable footballer. Unnfortunately, he's yet to completely stamp his authority on the competition due to injuries the last couple of years, but I'm a firm believer that if Gia is able to stay on the park, he'll have a huge impact and will finish in the Top 4 for our Best & Fairest.

He's got all the tools to be a very, very dangerous player and one of our best. This could be the year - and he'll certainly be hoping so - that he's able to play 22 games + Finals because up until he's suffered these injuries, he has been on fire.

I'm looking forward to him, I rate him as high as anyone.

southerncross
24-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I agree with the Bulldogs Bite. Looking at our list we have a number of the guys from the 99 draft that have played a heap of footy and are experienced types. Add McMahon, Harris, Cross, Power plus Cooney, Ray and Griffen and the young prime movers on the list have played a fair bit of football.

I think Eade would consider this list more than ready to make another move forward.

alwaysadog
25-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Thought this table might be useful. I've left off anyone with less than 20 games

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/alwaysadog/07Gamesplayed.jpg

Interesting the gap below 65 games, and that 20 players have more than 60 games.

Now we have a group of 7 at 190+, 7 from 90-150, 6 from 60- 80 and 6 from 35 -50. There's a nice balance to it and sufficient experience to support younger players as they come into the side. This is probably one reason why we were able to keep going last year when injuries struck.

bornadog
25-02-2007, 12:16 PM
You can see from the table why we struggled a few years ago as there is a huge deficiency of players from around 130 to 200. The Wallet years where he didn't recruit from around 1996 to 1999 left us with a team in the early 2000 with a gap between the the top players and the new recruits of 1999. Although not many people rate Rhode as a coach after Wallet left, he didn't really have much to play with as the 1999 recruits still hadn't played 50 games, there wasn't much around between 50 to 150 and then we had the 150 plus players. Now I believe we have a very good balanced team and feel that once West, Johnno. Grant, Darcy retire we have a good batch to take over as well as another two batches coming up from the past couple of drafts.

Great table Alwaysadog

Palace03
25-02-2007, 12:47 PM
The team now has a very good spread of experience. With Rocket's trading and Claytons recruiting we have a great chance of sustained success. There is alot of talent at the bottom of the list and not even on the list yet, meaning there are adequate replacements, for when the guys up the top finish up.

firstdogonthemoon
25-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Lovely table. I love a good stat.

Ryan Griffen only 41 games? Goodness it seems like more than that. He is going to be a monster. Mr Morris too.

GVGjr
25-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Lovely table. I love a good stat.

Ryan Griffen only 41 games? Goodness it seems like more than that. He is going to be a monster. Mr Morris too.

When you consider that we have Ray, Morris and Griffen all on about 40 games by the end of the season we will have a very good experienced group all coming through at the same time.
Whilst we are going to lost some of the best players we have ever seen in the red,white and blue in the coming years there is some excellent prospects to take over from them.

alwaysadog
25-02-2007, 04:21 PM
When you consider that we have Ray, Morris and Griffen all on about 40 games by the end of the season we will have a very good experienced group all coming through at the same time.
Whilst we are going to lost some of the best players we have ever seen in the red,white and blue in the coming years there is some excellent prospects to take over from them.

The signs are that the next generation of top players are beginning to emerge and to play with a consistency that should mean we lose little when the big 4 retire. For those who like a good table. The age spread is quite good but the gap previously talked about that Rohde faced is evident in the 26-29 group.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/alwaysadog/07Ages.jpg

Dry Rot
25-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Thought this table might be useful. I've left off anyone with less than 20 games

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/alwaysadog/07Gamesplayed.jpg

Interesting the gap below 65 games, and that 20 players have more than 60 games.

Now we have a group of 7 at 190+, 7 from 90-150, 6 from 60- 80 and 6 from 35 -50. There's a nice balance to it and sufficient experience to support younger players as they come into the side. This is probably one reason why we were able to keep going last year when injuries struck.

In the 50 - 100 games players we only have two talls in Street and Harris.

Not good.

And only really Everitt and possibly The Man Who Never Was* waiting in the wings. Still not convinced with Wight, Tiller an unknown, Walsh and Skipper are probably duds.

* Tom Williams

Go_Dogs
26-02-2007, 09:05 AM
How much more has Wight got to do to impress you DR? Surely he has done enough for most of our supporters to suggest that he will, at least, be able to play a reasonable role in our backline?

Dry Rot
26-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Reasonable role? Yes. CHB? Dunno.

southerncross
26-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Reasonable role? Yes. CHB? Dunno.

He's come a long way in a short period of time. The question mark is on if he can hold CHB and while I don;t think he is quite ready for it he could be by the seasons end.
With Hargrave and Grant along with Harris, Morris and Wight I think we have enough key defensive options. I think McDougall will also spend some time there as well.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Add Everitt and Williams to that list also by seasons end I should think.

alwaysadog
26-02-2007, 11:19 PM
In the 50 - 100 games players we only have two talls in Street and Harris.

Not good.

And only really Everitt and possibly The Man Who Never Was* waiting in the wings. Still not convinced with Wight, Tiller an unknown, Walsh and Skipper are probably duds.
* Tom Williams

Surely this is no surprise. We have talked endlessly over the last few years about the need for talls. Fortunately we don't need a lot, but we do need to find a couple more soon.

Let's hope some of the following are OK.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/alwaysadog/Talls07.jpg

Go_Dogs
27-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Minson will be a player, no doubt about it. So much experience at such a young age already, which is outstanding for a ruckmen. Over the next few years I'm sure he'll add some more strings to his bow and become a very important player for us (not that he isn't already).

Wight looks about right to take the step, McDougall has been promising thus far, Williams will surely come good at some stage, Walsh hmmm, Baird seems to be coming along ok - at least he can get out onto the park, Everitt looks promising, and O'Shea will be an interesting one to watch too. A late pick that will hopefully wind up being a big winner like Harris.

Overall I think we are looking ok. Getting McDougall over was a good move, as it adds another slightly older taller player onto the list, whose body is ready for the rigors of AFL.

Twodogs
27-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Still not convinced with Wight, Tiller an unknown, Walsh and Skipper are probably duds.

Wight has done everything to indicate he will be a player-I wouldnt have him down as an unknown. Tall, athletic and fast he is starting to believe he belongs in the AFL.

I dont believe that Walsh is a dud at all and still think that he will be a valuable player for us. One day he'll get his body right and play good footy.

After saturday my confidence in Skipper ever making it has diminished. we were awful whenever he went into the ruck.

Also dont write off Power's ability to hold down a key position.

Go_Dogs
27-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I think the only reason we will persist with Skipper is that he can ruck if needed. Unless Wight can play a role ion the ruck, or McDougall, Skipper will be around for another year or two I think.

Dry Rot
27-02-2007, 10:48 AM
How long has Skipper been in the system?

If we are say in the top 3 for young midfielders, how would rate us for young talls?

My best guess would be bottom 8 and possibly bottom 4.

Sockeye Salmon
27-02-2007, 11:24 AM
How long has Skipper been in the system?

If we are say in the top 3 for young midfielders, how would rate us for young talls?

My best guess would be bottom 8 and possibly bottom 4.

Taken with our pick after Crossy in 2000!

This year is his 7th on our list. IMO, it's probably going to be his last, as well.

bornadog
27-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Surely this is no surprise. We have talked endlessly over the last few years about the need for talls. Fortunately we don't need a lot, but we do need to find a couple more soon.

Let's hope some of the following are OK.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/alwaysadog/Talls07.jpg

I really don't count any one below about 193 as a tall in this day and age, so that cuts out at least 6 on your list. Also I am pretty sure Sam power is below 190 but Baird is now listed at 193. This leaves us with only 4 talls with more than 50 games experience and two of those are ageing. Surely this goes back to poor recruiting, again as mentioned previuosly in the Wallet years.

Go_Dogs
27-02-2007, 05:03 PM
So you wouldn't classify the mighty Pav as a tall player?

Geez, I'd sure love him at CHF.

Dry Rot
27-02-2007, 06:10 PM
I really don't count any one below about 193 as a tall in this day and age, so that cuts out at least 6 on your list. Also I am pretty sure Sam power is below 190 but Baird is now listed at 193. This leaves us with only 4 talls with more than 50 games experience and two of those are ageing. Surely this goes back to poor recruiting, again as mentioned previuosly in the Wallet years.

Dunno that Clayton has got us some guns in Wells, Walsh etc

If Williams AND Everitt don't both come off, we could be in trouble in the future.

Ditto lack of good young ruckmen coming through (Minson aside).

GVGjr
27-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Dunno that Clayton has got us some guns in Wells, Walsh etc

If Williams AND Everitt don't both come off, we could be in trouble in the future.

Ditto lack of good young ruckmen coming through (Minson aside).

I don't think we should be be writing them off at all. It takes time to develop talls and just because a couple of them haven't measured up yet it doesn't mean that the others wont.

I don't think we will be in trouble given we still have plenty of options.

alwaysadog
27-02-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't think we should be be writing them off at all. It takes time to develop talls and just because a couple of them haven't measured up yet it doesn't mean that the others wont.

I don't think we will be in trouble given we still have plenty of options.

My thoughts exactly. We gave some of our smalls 4 or5 years to get the body and the game to be competitive. If it takes longer and all the informed advice says that it does then we are just on the cusp of some success with our talls and have a ready supply to follow.

bornadog
27-02-2007, 11:09 PM
My thoughts exactly. We gave some of our smalls 4 or5 years to get the body and the game to be competitive. If it takes longer and all the informed advice says that it does then we are just on the cusp of some success with our talls and have a ready supply to follow.

For the next few years we are going to have to rely on Minson, Street, Harris and McDougall and maybe even Skipper as they are the next experienced lot. Grant will be gone by the end of year and Darcy will be pushing 33 next year.

alwaysadog
01-03-2007, 07:23 PM
For the next few years we are going to have to rely on Minson, Street, Harris and McDougall and maybe even Skipper as they are the next experienced lot. Grant will be gone by the end of year and Darcy will be pushing 33 next year.

Quite right we are not going to be able to fix the problem immediately. The attempt to do that occurred in the Rohde year. We don't just have the ones we rely on, what we want is some increasing support from others. That is my hope for latre this year.

bornadog
01-03-2007, 11:32 PM
So you wouldn't classify the mighty Pav as a tall player?

Geez, I'd sure love him at CHF.

I would love him at CHF as well, but he is not what I call a tall @ 191.

Too often in the past we have tried to make talls out of Croft, Ellis, Hargrave, Morris, Kretuik, but when these guys are pitted against Richo, Rocka, Hall, G Train, they are pip squeks and don't have a chance. Other than Harris, we haven't developed anyone with size in the backline. We now have plans to do so with Wight, Walsh and maybe McDougall. In Fact can you remember from the past 20 years who we have had with any decent size in the backline? Other than Harris and Chris Grant part time, we have to go way back to when we had Rick Kennedy and Foster in the 80's and actually they weren't that big either ( but for the times I would class them as talls as the players were alot shorter then).

Dry Rot
02-03-2007, 12:00 AM
And aside from Grant, how many tall forwards have we had in the last 15 years?

Everitt appears to have ben recruited for CHB, and Eade has often said that Williams was drafted as a power forward.

If these two come off and maybe McDougall we will be OK in four years time, but we could be in trouble for a couple of years when Grant retires.

bulldogtragic
02-03-2007, 12:46 AM
And aside from Grant, how many tall forwards have we had in the last 15 years?

Everitt appears to have ben recruited for CHB, and Eade has often said that Williams was drafted as a power forward.

If these two come off and maybe McDougall we will be OK in four years time, but we could be in trouble for a couple of years when Grant retires.
Del-re, Bandy, Ballantyne, Cook, Charles & Grgic could play forward, Minton-Connell (probably not tall enough), Jackovich, James, Wiggins, Bartlett, Wells, Skipper, Rawlings, Dooley more of a ruck, Round & Saunders, Campbell?, Standfield, Was the Tin-Man tall enough?

Hope i didn't miss anyone.

Good small forwards though in Hudson, Garlic, Osborne etc.

Dry Rot
02-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Del-re, Bandy, Ballantyne, Cook, Charles & Grgic could play forward, Minton-Connell (probably not tall enough), Jackovich, James, Wiggins, Bartlett, Wells, Skipper, Rawlings, Dooley more of a ruck, Round & Saunders, Campbell?, Standfield, Was the Tin-Man tall enough?

Aside from Bartlett and the great James Cook, no real stars there over a number of seasons.

Isn't it a bit odd over several different coaches, recruiters etc that for lamost 20 years we've had no A grade talls aside from Grant? No disrespect to Croft, Kretuik etc

bulldogtragic
02-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Aside from Bartlett and the great James Cook, no real stars there over a number of seasons.

Isn't it a bit odd over several different coaches, recruiters etc that for lamost 20 years we've had no A grade talls aside from Grant? No disrespect to Croft, Kretuik etc
Odd or a black mark on them all?

I think (hope) things are changing. We have potentially good talls but are under developed in Tiller and Walsh even Doogs, said Eade. We have Williams who is the new Great White Hope and emerging players like Wight and Harris.

Go_Dogs
02-03-2007, 11:32 AM
I was more of the understanding that Williams would play a key defensive post - at least early in his career. However, with the coming on of Wight, perhaps a position in the forward line will be Williams best spot.

alwaysadog
02-03-2007, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=Dry Rot;2290]How long has Skipper been in the system?

Skipper was our last pick in his year and bottom age. If you recall DR, it was the year we went media mad and let the TV people broadcast conversations at our table. There was a phoney discussion for the microphone about meeting our need to take a tall later in the draft and it turned out to be Skip, with the last pick.

Sockeye Salmon
05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=Dry Rot;2290]How long has Skipper been in the system?

Skipper was our last pick in his year and bottom age. If you recall DR, it was the year we went media mad and let the TV people broadcast conversations at our table. There was a phoney discussion for the microphone about meeting our need to take a tall later in the draft and it turned out to be Skip, with the last pick.

That conversation was a choice between Shane Birss or Guy Richards.

southerncross
05-03-2007, 05:42 PM
[quote=alwaysadog;2445]

That conversation was a choice between Shane Birss or Guy Richards.

Who do you think would have been the better selection? Birss certainly settled in quicker but Richards still looks like he could be an effective ruckman if he can stay fit.

alwaysadog
05-03-2007, 06:22 PM
[quote=Sockeye Salmon;2572]

Who do you think would have been the better selection? Birss certainly settled in quicker but Richards still looks like he could be an effective ruckman if he can stay fit.

Correct and in opting for Birss, Clayton said he could meet our need for a tall later in the draft and the later tall was Skip.

Sockeye Salmon
06-03-2007, 09:24 AM
I was very vocal on the old Bulldogs forum at the time in saying we should have taken the big guy. Like now, it was clear back then we were going to run into trouble with ruckmen.

Wallace said in a post-draft interview that he thought our ruck division was very good. At the time it consisted of Scott Wynd (on his last legs [or should that be leg?]), Luke Darcy and Paul Dooley. Not too many of us thought Paul Dooley would be able to cover for Darce getting hurt.

Had we drafted Richards instead of Birss we may not have needed to waste a top 20 draft pick on Street.

alwaysadog
06-03-2007, 01:13 PM
I was very vocal on the old Bulldogs forum at the time in saying we should have taken the big guy. Like now, it was clear back then we were going to run into trouble with ruckmen.

Wallace said in a post-draft interview that he thought our ruck division was very good. At the time it consisted of Scott Wynd (on his last legs [or should that be leg?]), Luke Darcy and Paul Dooley. Not too many of us thought Paul Dooley would be able to cover for Darce getting hurt.

Had we drafted Richards instead of Birss we may not have needed to waste a top 20 draft pick on Street.

While I have a lot of time for Clayton this pick has always puzzled me. Clearly there was a lot to like about Birss characterwise and in the way he went about his footy but we needed another tall. Richards may have been the answer but so far he has not shown enough to suggest so, certainly he has looked promising at times but over the last few years he was no more able to string together a succession of games than Birss did. These are of course famous last words that will be brought back to haunt me whenever he plays a good game against us.

bornadog
11-03-2007, 03:59 PM

I had a look again at the height of the team and the new revamped website now has Baird listed as 192cm and Power is still 189cm........... for those of you interested

alwaysadog
11-03-2007, 07:48 PM
I had a look again at the height of the team and the new revamped website now has Baird listed as 192cm and Power is still 189cm........... for those of you interested

I blame all the weights they are doing. It's obvious that all that heavy weight lifting is shrinking them.

southerncross
11-03-2007, 08:04 PM

Baird was originally listed at 193cm but I think he is just 190cm. I saw him standing near Skipper a month ago and Skip is supposed to be 193cm as well and yet he was a fair bit taller.