05-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Daniel Wells

Number: 8
180cm, 78 kg.
2008 - 16 games, 5 goals
Career - 118 games, 65 goals.
DOB: 03-02-85

http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/Wells_Player-Profile_Medium.jpg

Potentially the Kangaroos' most damaging midfielder, Wells is a team-orientated player, who has been urged by his coach to be more selfish and use his pace to take on the opposition. Had a good 2007 - with his game in the finals win against Hawthorn the highlight. In 2008, Wells has taken his game to another level, easily having his most consistent season.

Since returning from injury in Round 12 (an injury he received in the Rnd 9 game against us), Wells has arguable been North Melbournes best player averaging 26 possessions, an increase from the average of 17 possessions over the 1st 9 rounds.

With plenty of tough inside players, Wells is the link player that gives North Melbourne run, and his delivery is improving and as such we will need make sure that we can close him down.

I'll pull one out of left field and if there is no other match up for Shaggy, we do a bit of experimenting and put him on Wells.

The Coon Dog
05-08-2008, 05:58 PM
After the past two weeks I'm fed up with mids from the opposition running amok unmolested. It's time someone sacrificed their game ala Steven Baker/Brady Rawlings & ensure they keep their designated opponent to a handful of possessions.

Good choice A39 (tho I thought you would have gone with Brent Harvey) as Wells certainly can be damaging. Man him up & give him no room. If he plays this week I'd give the job to Aker.

bornadog
05-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Good choice A39 (tho I thought you would have gone with Brent Harvey) as Wells certainly can be damaging. Man him up & give him no room. If he plays this week I'd give the job to Aker.

TCD, we did Brent Harvey last time we played them.

Aker30, good choice as, Wells is one of those players that can really cut you up, if you give him a chance

The Coon Dog
05-08-2008, 07:17 PM
TCD, we did Brent Harvey last time we played them.

Aker30, good choice as, Wells is one of those players that can really cut you up, if you give him a chance

I would have done him again! ;)

bornadog
05-08-2008, 11:25 PM
I would have done him again! ;)

Copy and Paste:D

Twodogs
06-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I'd really like to come away from a game not having noticed an opposition small rip us to shreds.

Mofra
06-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Ray could also get the chance. I don't think Boyd will get the role as Boyd is very good in close & Wells (as rightly pointed out) is prefered as a link player; he really can break a game open if given more than a centimetre of space.

knowitall
07-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Ray could also get the chance. I don't think Boyd will get the role as Boyd is very good in close & Wells (as rightly pointed out) is prefered as a link player; he really can break a game open if given more than a centimetre of space.

Ward is a big chance to line up on Wells

GVGjr
07-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Ward is a big chance to line up on Wells

That would be a terrific match-up in my opinion.

Go_Dogs
08-08-2008, 02:22 PM

I wouldn't be as confident as that, Wells has had a pretty good year, but it would be a great learning opportunity for Cal.

bornadog
08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't be as confident as that, Wells has had a pretty good year, but it would be a great learning opportunity for Cal.

If Ward plays, then who is out this week?

Go_Dogs
08-08-2008, 03:06 PM
If Ward plays, then who is out this week?

One of Hill or Harbrow I'd guess, as Callan for Tiller appears the logical swap down back.

The Coon Dog
08-08-2008, 03:06 PM
One of Hill or Harbrow I'd guess, as Callan for Tiller appears the logical swap down back.

After his game last week you would have to think Harbrow is safe.

Go_Dogs
08-08-2008, 03:08 PM
After his game last week you would have to think Harbrow is safe.

Wouldn't disagree but stranger things have happened, especially this year. I guess it depends what Rocket thinks we're going to need more. Extra legs, or more forward 50 pressure (simplistic, but you know what I mean!).

Mantis
08-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't disagree but stranger things have happened, especially this year. I guess it depends what Rocket thinks we're going to need more. Extra legs, or more forward 50 pressure (simplistic, but you know what I mean!).

Extra legs for what?

Sedat
08-08-2008, 04:55 PM
That would work in Harbrow's favour

Go_Dogs
08-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Extra legs for what?

Umm...running?

Mantis
08-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Umm...running?

Doesn't Harbrow offer us a bit of pace and offensive pressure?

Our 2 'flattest' players over the past few weeks have been Aker and Gia, we should be looking at freshening those 2 up not resting Harbrow.

Stevo
09-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Wells has never quite reached his potential and it must be frustrating for the North supporters to keep on waiting to deliver on his ability. I agree with Griffen#16 that he has had a solid season by his standards but I hope Rocket does roll the dice and try one of the younger group on him. It would be a huge learning curve for someone like Ward or Harbrow to be given the day trying to keep Wells under control.

Bulldog Revolution
09-08-2008, 10:56 AM

Its a bold call, particularly given the way Wells sliced us up in Round 22 last year at the TD, but I dont think it's a terrible matchup.

Could Ward really run with him?

Would Boyd be considered?