PDA

View Full Version : I Am Getting Very Nervous

LostDoggy
05-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I don't know about other posters but I'm getting very nervous about our chances in September.

Since the Brisbane effort, we have played poorly in my view and that includes the games where we came out on top.

The loss of Williams has thrown our backline structure out all together. We are experiencing little run off half back and that is slowing down our entry into the forward 50. We continue to give the central corridor over to the opposition and we are getting cut up through that channel on a regular basis.

Gun players including Aka, Murphy and Lake are well down on form and appear in need of a rest. Perhaps, now that a 2/3 finish is guaranteed, the time has come to give them a day off.

The things we were good at earlier like contested ball, tackling and fitness to run out games appears to be on the wane.

My view is that unless there is a major uplift in our current form we will be dead in the water come September.

I don't want to be seen as a negative supporter but facts are facts and as a team the Dogs need to face up to them.

What do others think of our chances?

Topdog
05-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Even the coach and the players have said the same.

We are experiencing a lull at the moment but we can get out of it.

1eyedog
05-08-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't know about other posters but I'm getting very nervous about our chances in September.

Since the Brisbane effort, we have played poorly in my view and that includes the games where we came out on top.

The loss of Williams has thrown our backline structure out all together. We are experiencing little run off half back and that is slowing down our entry into the forward 50. We continue to give the central corridor over to the opposition and we are getting cut up through that channel on a regular basis.

Gun players including Aka, Murphy and Lake are well down on form and appear in need of a rest. Perhaps, now that a 2/3 finish is guaranteed, the time has come to give them a day off.

The things we were good at earlier like contested ball, tackling and fitness to run out games appears to be on the wane.

My view is that unless there is a major uplift in our current form we will be dead in the water come September.

I don't want to be seen as a negative supporter but facts are facts and as a team the Dogs need to face up to them.

What do others think of our chances?

We haven't had Williams for most of the year, certainly not for the first 10 odd wins, think the problem is elsewhere. Our mids are very attacking but lack defensive efforts in my opinion.

ledge
05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Best time to get a lull if we are going to get one, also the chance to fix any problems we do have.
If we dont do well, we cant complain we obviously tried our best and had our opportunities to get it right.
Maybe if we dont get there (dare i say it) we were not good enough yet.
But to me all this year is a bonus, none of us expected this and the furthest we go the more experience we have for probably what Rocket expected in the first place, which was next year and the year after.

whythelongface
05-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Prior to last week's game I honestly thought that we were also lame ducks and basically unless we were able to win against the Swans we had no chance. But after Sunday I have some confidence that come Finals we will go pretty well.

Why my sudden change of thought? The main concern going into Sunday was the way we finished off the games against Geelong and Carlton - people have attributed this to an intensive training phase. I wasn't convinced. I was more of the belief that it was a pyschological factor which stemmed from last year. The guys proved on Sunday that they have moved on from that and showed glimpses of what they are capable of in the 2nd qtr. One or two decent games under our belt then come September we will have a good chance of making the GF.

It will be interesting leading upto the Finals the approach the coaching staff take. I am a believer that you need momentum, however it has been pointed out by another poster that teams don't always go into Finals series with good form, yet are have won premierships. The main thing is that we have secured 2nd or 3rd posi which has given us the opportunity (and a bloody good one at that) to make the GF.

LostDoggy
05-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Must win game for us.

Roos have made us their bitches and we need to break the hoodoo.

I reckon we won't let this one slip.

LostDoggy
05-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Hudson needs a rest badly. He hasn't been the same since he hurt his ankle and it will give Streety a well deserved chance. Also, think that Higgins, Tim Callan and a couple of others will get some match fitness into them - so that we have some choices come selecting our best 22 make the boys jostle for selection.

Will Tommy Williams play again or is he out for the rest of the year? Let us not forget that his first game back was average, but his next game was on Franklin.

Finally, we have made last year's goal a reality this year - and will keep on refining our finals chance until we take out the big one. Whether that is this year, next year or the year after - our future looks bright.

mjp
06-08-2008, 12:14 AM
This time last year I barely cared what happened when we played...feeling nervous about finals chances in August? By comparison, this is great.

Mantis
06-08-2008, 08:41 AM
As with mjp the last part of the season of 07 was a nightmare, the season could not end quickly enough. After we couldn't make the finals I hardly watched any footy, didn't give a toss who won or lost.

Fast forward 12 months and I am starting to get excited. It's been 10 years since we looked like a reasonable chance to firstly make a GF and possibly win one. I am also taking more interest in the teams we may face in the finals, looking for chinks in there armour that we might be able to expose (having a hard time finding one in Geelong, but I will).

Nervous....not really, not much I can do about the results, but I am starting to get excited at what might happen in September.

LostDoggy
06-08-2008, 11:25 AM
This time last year I barely cared what happened when we played...feeling nervous about finals chances in August? By comparison, this is great.

As with mjp the last part of the season of 07 was a nightmare, the season could not end quickly enough. After we couldn't make the finals I hardly watched any footy, didn't give a toss who won or lost.

Fast forward 12 months and I am starting to get excited. It's been 10 years since we looked like a reasonable chance to firstly make a GF and possibly win one. I am also taking more interest in the teams we may face in the finals, looking for chinks in there armour that we might be able to expose (having a hard time finding one in Geelong, but I will).

Nervous....not really, not much I can do about the results, but I am starting to get excited at what might happen in September.

So the fact that this is a better performance than last year leaves you both pleased and satisfied?

Looking over the last three years, I saw 2006 as a year of promise for the future, 2007 as a complete disaster and I am now concerned that what began as a promising year may be heading into another disaster based on current form.

Unless there is major turn around in form we are heading for going out in straight sets which would be humiliating given our start to the season. After supporting the Dogs for well over 50 years, my nervousness is growing from our current form and a long history of finals failure.

I take no satisfaction in the fact that compared to last year we are miles ahead. There is little to get excited about in reaching the finals and getting bounced straight out.

The purpose of my thread was to raise some concerns about current form. There appears to be a reluctance by everyone associated with the Dogs to accept this fact.

Mantis
06-08-2008, 11:38 AM
The purpose of my thread was to raise some concerns about current form. There appears to be a reluctance by everyone associated with the Dogs to accept this fact.

I still think we can turn it around, but agree that if we carry on in similiar fashion we might crash out in the finals, which would be a disaster.

I would be looking for our form to continue to improve over the next few weeks. I thought there were some good signs in the Sydney game to suggest that our intensity had improved and will improve further.

Twodogs
06-08-2008, 01:01 PM
I've been getting more and more nervous all year-that's a good thing. ATM I'm downright scared that we cant do it without Williams. Winning games earlier in the year without him is fine but we wont win games without him at the end of the year.

But nervous is good, it means there's something to lose.

LostDoggy
06-08-2008, 01:49 PM
But nervous is good, it means there's something to lose.

Well, like you I hope the last thing Johnno says to the team before he leads them out on to the MCG in the GF is, "You're dead. Your baggage, your possessions mean nothing. All that matters now is your personal honour. All that matters now is your fame and glory. Follow me. I will lead you and we will win the day."

Go_Dogs
06-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm starting to get nervous, not because I'm scared we'll choke, but because this team could be so good, and they need to realise that any opportunity is the perfect one...if they don't they won't achieve anywhere near what they should be able to.

I'm sick of the aura surrounding Geelong. We are better than them. We can be. We must be. We will be.

1eyedog
06-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm not really nervous, whatever will be will be. I've had 36 years of let downs I just hope we perform well and give it a shake, be unbelievable to win it but can't look that far ahead. The Bulldogs are like the girls I fancied as a kid, I didn't want to have too great a expectations just in case I got dropped again.

Twodogs
06-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, like you I hope the last thing Johnno says to the team before he leads them out on to the MCG in the GF is, "You're dead. Your baggage, your possessions mean nothing. All that matters now is your personal honour. All that matters now is your fame and glory. Follow me. I will lead you and we will win the day."

Great quote, isnt it? The Duke of Bedford(Henry V's brother-what a family of fighters!) said that to his men after the other side's mercernaries had smashed through their lines and were busy plundering. He regrouped his men and led them to victory.

I'm betting he had a few nerves...

ledge
06-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Do we tee up a game of bowls for Johnno, Sir Francis Drake style?

LostDoggy
06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I still think we can turn it around, but agree that if we carry on in similiar fashion we might crash out in the finals, which would be a disaster.

I would be looking for our form to continue to improve over the next few weeks. I thought there were some good signs in the Sydney game to suggest that our intensity had improved and will improve further.

We limped into the finalsin 2006, with everyone writing us off and then look what happened. Still we did go out without a wimper the following week, but that was to the eventual premiers.

Topdog
06-08-2008, 10:00 PM

Who has actually denied it?

Before I Die
07-08-2008, 01:17 AM
I am not getting nervous at all. Port Adelaide beat Geelong then copped a shelacking in the GF. A wake up call from the cats was fine by me. The Carlton loss was disappointing, but no more than Geelong's loss to Collingwood. As for our recent form, how far back do you want to go? W, or LW, or LLW, or WLLW, or WWLLW, or WWWLLW, or WWWWLLW?

At the worst, we are third favourite for the flag, not a bad place to be.

Re The Messiah. With Williams in our form has been 6 wins, no losses, without him, 8 wins, 3 losses and a draw. Not too bad either way. I am not suggesting Wight is as good as Williams, but our results with him in the team have been, 9 wins, one loss and one draw, that's not too shabby either.

Are we certainties? No. Are we favourites? No. Are we safe in the four? Yes. Are we a chance? Bloody oath! Are we excited? Hell yeh!!

SEIZE THE DAY!!

Believe in the boys and get excited. The lid is off, no more negative Nancys. I am going to enjoy every minute from now until it is over and then am going to drink heavily, hopefully in celebration.

Topdog
07-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Good stuff Before I Die

The Underdog
07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
EJ, I agree with you on our current form. I walked out of the Brisbane game totally convinced we could go all the way. I haven't seen a really good performance since then. The margin in the Port game was flattering. Collingwood and Melbourne we did enough. Geelong and Carlton have had enough attention and we've seen the negatives from those. I wouldn't undervalue the Sydney win too much. Sure they were down on personnel but they are a super disciplined side who've cause us major problems in the past and played on a ground they essentially had home ground advantage on. We weren't overly impressive but we got the points.

On the upside, form is temporary, good form can disappear in a week as can bad. I'd be much happier if we had a fit Tom Williams not having missed a game all season not to mention a fit Scott West, but not many teams get to September with their best 22 available. Geelong won the premiership last year without their All Australian CHB for the finals. If you want a precedent for sides that have not looked like winning it then surprised in September look at the Crows of 97-98 (as if we need reminding), the Swans of 05 who in the preliminary final, beat a St.Kilda side with a supposedly lethal forward line of talented tall targets including the unstoppable league glamour boy and no real tall backmen to speak of (sound familiar), then beat a more talented team in the GF on guts and determination. Or Brisbane of 01 when they played an Essendon side who were supposed to be a dynasty. Sure Geelong and Hawthorn are probably justifiably ahead of us in favouritism but essentially that doesn't mean jack shit. We'll be there in September with a double chance and the chance to write our own history.

LostDoggy
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
I agree with everything you have said. We are there and therefore we are a chance.

If we were heading into the finals on the back of the form against Brisbane and earlier I, like you, would be feeling very confident

My concern is that our form is a lot different to that displayed against Brisbane. I thought our tackling that day ws breath-taking as was our use of the ball through the centre corridor and hence the options going into the forward 50.

We are simply not playing with that flourish now and individual players are well down on form compared to then.

I am not disputing we have the talent, just saying we need to get back to the levels displayed then, to be a real candidate come September.

Also, I am not overwhelmed by Geelong who I see as a very good side but eminently beatable. Their overuse of the ball is reminiscent of Essendon 2001.

The Underdog
07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I agree with everything you have said. We are there and therefore we are a chance.

If we were heading into the finals on the back of the form against Brisbane and earlier I, like you, would be feeling very confident

My concern is that our form is a lot different to that displayed against Brisbane. I thought our tackling that day ws breath-taking as was our use of the ball through the centre corridor and hence the options going into the forward 50.

We are simply not playing with that flourish now and individual players are well down on form compared to then.

I am not disputing we have the talent, just saying we need to get back to the levels displayed then, to be a real candidate come September.

Also, I am not overwhelmed by Geelong who I see as a very good side but eminently beatable. Their overuse of the ball is reminiscent of Essendon 2001.

Again I agree with you. We aren't playing our best football at the moment, but I guess the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't necessarily mean that we can't get it back. Most of the problems you've mentioned (aside from a suitable matchup for Franklin/ reliable CHB), are problems of attitude, fitness and desire. If our fitness staff have got it right in the last few weeks then I believe we can run with any team. We've showed the persistence and desire in games like Adelaide, Hawthorn, Sydney (first time) and Brisbane. There seems to have been a drop off in the attitudes of certain players but hopefully the run into a finals series and the realisation that we can win this thing bring things back into focus.

Topdog
07-08-2008, 08:37 PM

Do you not think that intensity might have dropped off as importance of games has become almost non existent?

BTW not sure why League doesn't get much of a mention but the following article may be of interest to you.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24139689-14823,00.html

LostDoggy
08-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Do you not think that intensity might have dropped off as importance of games has become almost non existent?

BTW not sure why League doesn't get much of a mention but the following article may be of interest to you.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24139689-14823,00.html

The theory of the Crows loading up in 97/98 continues to be bandied about but no mention is made of the complete failure of Crows teams in finals series since when they have gone in as one of the clear-cut favourites, undergone the same routine and been bundled out without giving a yelp.

We have been ordinary since Brisbane and have not been building up since then.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong about this. I've been waiting longer than most on this forum for Bulldog success but right now, I think we're struggling......and have been for sometime.

Mantis
08-08-2008, 12:24 PM

I sincerely hope I'm wrong about this. I've been waiting longer than most on this forum for Bulldog success but right now, I think we're struggling......and have been for sometime.

I thought we turned the corner a bit last week. We were 4 goals down within 5 minutes against a pretty good team, ok they had a few missing, but in the space of 45 minutes we were 4 or 5 goals up and had played some pretty good footy to do so.

I would hope that we could use last weeks game as a bit of a platform such that we can ramp up our performance over the remaining 4 weeks. Sunday is a big test and I am hoping that we come to play.

LostDoggy
08-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I thought we turned the corner a bit last week. We were 4 goals down within 5 minutes against a pretty good team, ok they had a few missing, but in the space of 45 minutes we were 4 or 5 goals up and had played some pretty good footy to do so.

I would hope that we could use last weeks game as a bit of a platform such that we can ramp up our performance over the remaining 4 weeks. Sunday is a big test and I am hoping that we come to play.

I agree we were marginally better last week but it was against a side which has lost 5 of its last 6 and without Goodes and O'Laughlin.

This week is definitely a sterner test. I would be happy to see us get through the game without the unforced errors which have crept into our game.

Pembleton
08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm nervous/excited about the finals, but that is the natural state for a supporter of a team in second with 4 weeks to go to the finals.

We're in a very rare position of knowing for a long time in advance who we will be playing in the first week of the finals, and it is a match that is likely to decide Geelong's opponent in the GF.

Our recent form does not bother me in the slightest, but the continued absence of Tom Williams does. With him fit and ready for that qualifying final, i'd be very confident of beating the Hawks. Without him, I fear that their forward line might be too much for us.

I doubt that we can beat Geelong, but i'd sure like to be the club that gets to have a crack at them in the big one.

Topdog
08-08-2008, 05:47 PM
The theory of the Crows loading up in 97/98 continues to be bandied about but no mention is made of the complete failure of Crows teams in finals series since when they have gone in as one of the clear-cut favourites, undergone the same routine and been bundled out without giving a yelp.

This one is on the storm aswell.

The Crows going down when they were favourites had more to do with injuries than anything else I thought.

Pembleton
08-08-2008, 06:38 PM

Hmm, here is my attempt to put your mind a bit more at ease mate...

In 97/98 it was revolutionary, since then it has become common practice, so obviously it doesn't have the same relative benefits. That's how most innovations go. Not unlike our own innovations from around the same time, of on ground warm ups, early pre season start, and ball skills work from the start of pre season. Everyone else does that stuff now, which means the benefits don't stand out much.

Given that, just because the Crows started it, doesn't make them forever the definitive example of whether it works or not. Anyway, labelling their finals runs since then as a 'complete failure' is a major overstatement, they twice narrowly lost in prelim finals to a pretty special Eagles team.

The physical side of it is just one aspect though. We've also known for a while now that we won't move out of the top three, and since the geelong game have known that we will be playing the Hawks in week one of the finals for the right to host a prelim. I think it is pretty hard for players to have the same intencity in games when they know the consequences of a win or loss are very small.

So, don't worry too much about our form being a bit down over the last 4-6 weeks. We'll come good when it matters. :D I think the problem is that our 'good' is probably not good enough anyway, given the guys we will probably have missing. :(

hujsh
08-08-2008, 07:06 PM
It feels like pre-season again the way some people are talking about the team.

mjp
08-08-2008, 10:02 PM
So the fact that this is a better performance than last year leaves you both pleased and satisfied?

Looking over the last three years, I saw 2006 as a year of promise for the future, 2007 as a complete disaster and I am now concerned that what began as a promising year may be heading into another disaster based on current form.

Unless there is major turn around in form we are heading for going out in straight sets which would be humiliating given our start to the season. After supporting the Dogs for well over 50 years, my nervousness is growing from our current form and a long history of finals failure.

I take no satisfaction in the fact that compared to last year we are miles ahead. There is little to get excited about in reaching the finals and getting bounced straight out.

Perhaps it is because I am prepared to accept mediocrity? I refuse to rest until I read this on a thread somewhere.

We have lost 2 1/2 games all year and are going through a bit of a flat spot. Cooney and Hudson need rests. Akermanis badly needs a rest...and despite all of this, we comfortably accounted for the 4th placed team last weekend playing well in basically 1 quarter and just 'hanging in there' the rest of the way.

I take ENORMOUS satisfaction from our improvement from last year to now...I take ENORMOUS satisfaction in the committed gamestyle we have played all year...we are a good, hard running side that is capable of winning the whole thing - as is Geelong, as is Hawthorn.

It is going to depend on which team is in form in a months time - not who is playing well now. Nervous? Nope - just looking forward to watching us play every weekend.

LostDoggy
09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Perhaps it is because I am prepared to accept mediocrity? I refuse to rest until I read this on a thread somewhere.

We have lost 2 1/2 games all year and are going through a bit of a flat spot. Cooney and Hudson need rests. Akermanis badly needs a rest...and despite all of this, we comfortably accounted for the 4th placed team last weekend playing well in basically 1 quarter and just 'hanging in there' the rest of the way.
I take ENORMOUS satisfaction from our improvement from last year to now...I take ENORMOUS satisfaction in the committed gamestyle we have played all year...we are a good, hard running side that is capable of winning the whole thing - as is Geelong, as is Hawthorn.

It is going to depend on which team is in form in a months time - not who is playing well now. Nervous? Nope - just looking forward to watching us play every weekend.

I might also point out the same team that beat CArlton by two points the week before who accounted for us with a fifty something turnaround.

Dry Rot
10-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Looks like the OP has got it right... :(

hujsh
10-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Looks like the OP has got it right... :(

Nothing is right untill the finals.

Scraggers
10-08-2008, 07:30 PM
You're nervous ... ?

So am I !!

Your form is only as good as your last game, and although there were good signs in the second half against North, right now, we are struggling ...

I don't want to head to the finals with form like this !!

We need to turn it around and quick. West, Williams et al. will be great inclusions, but they are not the cattle that got us where we are now ... the current players need to extract the digit and quick

This makes Brisbane the perfect test for us ... shut down their midfield, cut off supply to the twin towers

If we dominate against Brisbane we can get back the winning way

The Underdog
10-08-2008, 07:46 PM

If you're prepared to accept it they're offering it up in spades at the moment. The first half wouldn't have even scared mediocrity.

mjp
10-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Go on, say it...say it is because I am prepared to accept mediocrity. :-)

Sure the first half was frustrating, but to me today was about two important things:

1/.Johnno back in form.
2/.Murphy back in form.

Johnno has been average all season, and Murphy not much better for the past 6 weeks...today was a positive turn-around for both players who will be keys for us going forward.

Mantis
10-08-2008, 08:06 PM
^^^^

And the midfield??

Scraggers
10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

And the back line ?

mjp
10-08-2008, 08:26 PM
The midfield is struggling at the moment Mantis...but when Cooney started to get his hands on it after half time, we looked much, much, much better. If only Griffen would do SOMETHING things would be better still.

Have a look at the inside 50m stats in the first half before you slaughter the defenders. I think North had 13 or 14 goal-kickers, so it wasn't as if the defenders were smashed individually...just outnumbered and overwhelmed at times by weight of possession.

What would winning today have actually achieved? I would have rather lost and had Murphy and Johnno (and Cooney in the 2nd half) start to get some form back than won with them continuing to be non-contributors...we need our best players up and going - they are our best players.

Scraggers
10-08-2008, 08:39 PM
The midfield is struggling at the moment Mantis...but when Cooney started to get his hands on it after half time, we looked much, much, much better. If only Griffen would do SOMETHING things would be better still.

Have a look at the inside 50m stats in the first half before you slaughter the defenders. I think North had 13 or 14 goal-kickers, so it wasn't as if the defenders were smashed individually...just outnumbered and overwhelmed at times by weight of possession.

What would winning today have actually achieved? I would have rather lost and had Murphy and Johnno (and Cooney in the 2nd half) start to get some form back than won with them continuing to be non-contributors...we need our best players up and going - they are our best players.

How about making our final three spot a certainty

How about instilling confidence in our players / coaching staff / supporters

How about ensuring we don't have to stress one more week about poor form

I take your point about Johnson, Murphy, Cooney et al., but we need a whole team performance if we are going to make a dent during the finals

mjp
10-08-2008, 09:48 PM
How about making our final three spot a certainty

How about instilling confidence in our players / coaching staff / supporters

How about ensuring we don't have to stress one more week about poor form

I take your point about Johnson, Murphy, Cooney et al., but we need a whole team performance if we are going to make a dent during the finals

Honestly, who cares if supporters are stressed...the coaches will be focussing on coaching which generally does not involve 'stressing' about form. Confidence for players? Well that comes and goes from one-moment to the next. They finished the game off well and will take confidence from that - how many times does a slow finish (think vs Sydney) get followed by a slow start the next week (today)...confidence is moment to moment. To me Gia had a shocker, but I bet he left the ground thinking that he was starting to turn it around in the last quarter and is looking forward to next week.

Of course we need a whole team performance to be successful in finals...back to your confidence point, if our best players are playing well, then the rest of the team will gain in confidence from that...and it will all start to roll...

Dont get me wrong, I wish we won...but I was wrapped at Johnno's efforts and (to me) his turnaround at half-time when we were getting smashed. If he is kicking goals and playing well, we going to be a chance...

Mantis
10-08-2008, 10:35 PM

Awesome....Or midfield totally relies on the efforts of a couple of 22 yo's.

And what of the rest?

The thing that I noticed today and have noticed a bit over the past few week's is that we look bloody slow. We have gone from having a super quick team 18 to 24 months ago to being a team of plodders. Our ball movement isn't as sharp which doesn't help, but we seriously lack foot speed all over the ground.

Sedat
10-08-2008, 10:56 PM
The thing that I noticed today and have noticed a bit over the past few week's is that we look bloody slow. We have gone from having a super quick team 18 to 24 months ago to being a team of plodders. Our ball movement isn't as sharp which doesn't help, but we seriously lack foot speed all over the ground.
And yet there are some people suggesting Ray should be traded. Go figure. One of the few players on our list who actually runs and carries and dares to take the opposition on.

Bulldog Revolution
10-08-2008, 10:59 PM

And what of the rest?

I didn't think we looked slow so much, but I really thought we just didn't make enough of the play in the midfield, particularly in the centre square and that we just didn't have enough desperados prepared to generate play. We were always reacting and that tends to make any team look slow.

Mantis
10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
And yet there are some people suggesting Ray should be traded. Go figure. One of the few players on our list who actually runs and carries and dares to take the opposition on.

And then either get's caught in the process or turns it over.

mjp
10-08-2008, 11:05 PM

Hawthorn's forward line relies on Franklin and Roughead - I think you will find they are about the same vintage.

In terms of what of the rest, I guess that is the perennial question. You know what you are going to get from Cross and Boyd, Eagle is Eagle and we can debate that one forever (in fact, I dont think you and I would debate that one) but he is in the best 22 atm, Gia remains frustratingly inconsistent when in there and seems to be better forward, Harbrow is needed forward, Ray seems to be designated run-with and was serviceable I guess, Ward was in there and is a kid...who else are you looking for.

Griffen and Cooney are it - they are the class, the cream, the high draft picks...they are it, they are us. We need them playing well...if they do, we will be very, very hard to stop. If they dont? Well, did you happen to check out the first half of todays game???

Mantis
10-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Hawthorn's forward line relies on Franklin and Roughead - I think you will find they are about the same vintage.

In terms of what of the rest, I guess that is the perennial question. You know what you are going to get from Cross and Boyd, Eagle is Eagle and we can debate that one forever (in fact, I dont think you and I would debate that one) but he is in the best 22 atm, Gia remains frustratingly inconsistent when in there and seems to be better forward, Harbrow is needed forward, Ray seems to be designated run-with and was serviceable I guess, Ward was in there and is a kid...who else are you looking for.

Griffen and Cooney are it - they are the class, the cream, the high draft picks...they are it, they are us. We need them playing well...if they do, we will be very, very hard to stop. If they dont? Well, did you happen to check out the first half of todays game???

Can't disagree with much of that.... To tell you the truth I can't really disagree with any of it.

In reference to your first point I just find it hard to think that the engine room of a team can rely on just 2 relatively inexperienced midfielders. This is Griffens's first year in the midfield, Cooney's body hasn't allowed him to spend extended periods in there either.

On Gia I don't know how to rate him. He had no pre-season so I suppose he has done well to play as many games as he has, but for what he should or could be and what actually is is poles apart.

And yep I saw the first half, not much fun even from my viewing area.

hujsh
10-08-2008, 11:29 PM
In reference to your first point I just find it hard to think that the engine room of a team can rely on just 2 relatively inexperienced midfielders. This is Griffens's first year in the midfield, Cooney's body hasn't allowed him to spend extended periods in there either.

Probably not a coincidence that this is the first time we've been top 4 in ages as well then.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 11:52 PM
I am sitting on the fence a little.

One moment I can feel a little like annoyed similar to mantis, but then can try to put perspective on it and tell myself that it doesnt matter so much as we will be in the top 4 come the end of the season.

I cant help but look at Geelong and wonder why they havent dropped intensity. They could have cruised after 1/2 time, but didnt, they have got top spot sewn up but are still playing like they are on a mission.

I like the notion that we are building a fitness base for the finals, but I cant help but think that if we continue to play poorly that the confidence will drop and the finals may turn out to be a missed opportunity.

I seriously hope im wrong, but I am nervous also.

mjp
11-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Geelong have set standards for attack on the ball within the group that we are 12-18months away from reaching...that is why they don't drop off. What they are trying to do as a group - be recognised as the greatest team of the modern era I imagine - vs what we are trying to do - which I guess would be about respect of the competition etc...are poles apart.

The core of their midfield/standard setters in their group are 3-4 years older/more experienced than our guys and have a far better perspective on what it takes...think of the fondness all of us had for the Romero/Libber/Dimma squad of the late 1990's...guys like Corey, Bartell (subject of trade rumours 18 months ago), Johnson, Kelly, Harley etc are at the same point, and consistent week-to-week performance has become a non-negotiable.

Few sides ever get to the point Geelong are at now...we are 'lucky' to be living in an era where Essendon (though they only got one flag), Brisbane and now Geelong have been able to do it - string 2/3/4/5 seasons of high-level, week-in, week out performances together...we basically went through the entire 1990's with no-single team string it together for back to back seasons...I guess North went closest, but really they got dead-lucky in '99 and might also have ended up with 'just' one flag to show for the Carey era. Eagles fans can argue this all they like (I guess 91/92 they went close), but I dont like them so I refuse to include them.

Scraggers
11-08-2008, 04:01 AM
Geelong have set standards for attack on the ball within the group that we are 12-18months away from reaching...that is why they don't drop off. What they are trying to do as a group - be recognised as the greatest team of the modern era I imagine - vs what we are trying to do - which I guess would be about respect of the competition etc...are poles apart.

The core of their midfield/standard setters in their group are 3-4 years older/more experienced than our guys and have a far better perspective on what it takes...think of the fondness all of us had for the Romero/Libber/Dimma squad of the late 1990's...guys like Corey, Bartell (subject of trade rumours 18 months ago), Johnson, Kelly, Harley etc are at the same point, and consistent week-to-week performance has become a non-negotiable.

Few sides ever get to the point Geelong are at now...we are 'lucky' to be living in an era where Essendon (though they only got one flag), Brisbane and now Geelong have been able to do it - string 2/3/4/5 seasons of high-level, week-in, week out performances together...we basically went through the entire 1990's with no-single team string it together for back to back seasons...I guess North went closest, but really they got dead-lucky in '99 and might also have ended up with 'just' one flag to show for the Carey era. Eagles fans can argue this all they like (I guess 91/92 they went close), but I dont like them so I refuse to include them.

We agree on something ... can't stand the hoighty toighty / Chardonnay sippin' / peeling a carrot when i walk / West Coast Weaslel Supporters

Scraggers
11-08-2008, 04:15 AM
Confidence for players? Well that comes and goes from one-moment to the next. They finished the game off well and will take confidence from that

At this level 95% of the game is played above the shoulders ... this is not a fleeting thing

how many times does a slow finish (think vs Sydney) get followed by a slow start the next week (today)...confidence is moment to moment.

I can't remember our last quick start ... it was well before Darwin ... even against Melbourne we started slowly

To me Gia had a shocker, but I bet he left the ground thinking that he was starting to turn it around in the last quarter and is looking forward to next week.

if our best players are playing well, then the rest of the team will gain in confidence from that...and it will all start to roll...

I agree with both these points ...

Dont get me wrong, I wish we won...but I was wrapped at Johnno's efforts and (to me) his turnaround at half-time when we were getting smashed. If he is kicking goals and playing well, we going to be a chance...

In 2006 we soley relied on Johnno ... and it got us to the finals ... he was dead set brilliant; the best season he has had in the tri-colours ... but we will get smashed in this finals series if we only look to him for inspiration

Honestly, who cares if supporters are stressed...

Me ... I'm quickly running out of Grecian 2000

LostDoggy
11-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Honestly, who cares if supporters are stressed...the coaches will be focussing on coaching which generally does not involve 'stressing' about form. Confidence for players? Well that comes and goes from one-moment to the next. They finished the game off well and will take confidence from that - how many times does a slow finish (think vs Sydney) get followed by a slow start the next week (today)...confidence is moment to moment. To me Gia had a shocker, but I bet he left the ground thinking that he was starting to turn it around in the last quarter and is looking forward to next week.
Of course we need a whole team performance to be successful in finals...back to your confidence point, if our best players are playing well, then the rest of the team will gain in confidence from that...and it will all start to roll...

If Gia had a shocker (after 22 disposals, 3 goals and on the ground for only 75% of the time) how would you describe the performances of Street, Tiller, Callan, Hahn and Aker (we didn't draft him to sit in the back pocket).

You may take comfort in the second half, meanwhile I remain concerned by the fact that we have only played one half in each of the last four games and were ordinary in the three games before that.

Put any type of spin on it you like, the fact remains we are not playing anywhere near like a side about to contest a final's series.

The Pie Man
11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
And then either get's caught in the process or turns it over.

I don't mind Farren Ray, but the above is fact - he's slow. Compared with Cooney or Griffen who rarely get caught anyway. Cross is another who is slow, but rarely takes more than a 5 metre run with the pill.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't mind Farren Ray, but the above is fact - he's slow. Compared with Cooney or Griffen who rarely get caught anyway. Cross is another who is slow, but rarely takes more than a 5 metre run with the pill.

I didn't mind Ray's take down yesterday too much, because for once he was steadying to take his running shot on goal, unluckily for him there was no talk, and he lacked a bit of awareness. He's been a pretty good contributor since coming back from injury.

The Underdog
11-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I didn't mind Ray's take down yesterday too much, because for once he was steadying to take his running shot on goal, unluckily for him there was no talk, and he lacked a bit of awareness. He's been a pretty good contributor since coming back from injury.

What you couldn't see on TV Griff was Murphy one out leading back towards the goal. If Ray had of kicked it earlier to the "fat" side chances are Murph would have had his man on toast with a a heap of space. I agree someone should have told Ray what was coming but his lack of awareness and poor decisionmaking/disposal is starting to get a little annoying. And by that I mean I smashed my radio and walked out to get a beer when that play happened.

Cyberdoggie
11-08-2008, 06:06 PM
If Gia had a shocker (after 22 disposals, 3 goals and on the ground for only 75% of the time) how would you describe the performances of Street, Tiller, Callan, Hahn and Aker (we didn't draft him to sit in the back pocket).

You may take comfort in the second half, meanwhile I remain concerned by the fact that we have only played one half in each of the last four games and were ordinary in the three games before that.

Put any type of spin on it you like, the fact remains we are not playing anywhere near like a side about to contest a final's series.

gia had a shocker in the first half i believe was the statement.

take a look at the stats (not that i put that much faith in them), look at the players that underperformed in the first half compared to the second and then look at the players that were consistent.

answer: gia, murphy, eagleton, aker.

they all did nothing the first half and were murphy and gia were much better in the second half. (i won't admit to eagleton being better but his stats showed he had more of the ball at least). Aker was much better in defence on harvey, actually provided a contest.

I have come to believe that gia is our barometer, if he is playing well, the team seems to be on target.

also as a side note if eade puts eagleton in defence once more i think i will have a fit.

i agree though, it is a worry that it often takes a spray from rocket to get us to play football.

LostDoggy
13-08-2008, 09:57 AM
gia had a shocker in the first half i believe was the statement.

take a look at the stats (not that i put that much faith in them), look at the players that underperformed in the first half compared to the second and then look at the players that were consistent.

answer: gia, murphy, eagleton, aker.

they all did nothing the first half and were murphy and gia were much better in the second half. (i won't admit to eagleton being better but his stats showed he had more of the ball at least). Aker was much better in defence on harvey, actually provided a contest.

I have come to believe that gia is our barometer, if he is playing well, the team seems to be on target.

also as a side note if eade puts eagleton in defence once more i think i will have a fit.

i agree though, it is a worry that it often takes a spray from rocket to get us to play football.

There was no mention of first half in the quote.

Now, how about editing the rest of your post so that the rest of us have a chance of understanding what you are on about

mjp
14-08-2008, 12:41 AM

All were poor...but wasn't my point that Gia had a good last quarter and would therefore be looking forward with confidence to next week? I have not mentioned any of the others in this thread - though my thoughts on Tiller, Callan, Street and Hahn - are well documented on the site and I dont see the need to continuously replay them. Some of those guys are yet to make it, others are never going too...Aker is just struggling.

If you want me to go through the whole team from the North game with individual assessments, then I guess I can...but I refuse to accept that Gia played well because he gave us NOTHING when the game was up for grabs early. Possessions late are well and good - but he is a leader of the club and we need him to be a 4q contributor.

Confidence comes from moment to moment...anyone who disagrees with this needs to think of any team sport where momentum regularly shifts from one side to the other for no reason whatsoever...and everyone knows of the famous come from behind victory/loss - those results are fuelled by the transitory nature of confidence.

To be perfectly honest, I really dont disagree with you when you are saying that things are not going all that well right now, and certainly agree that the weekends output was poor. I guess where I differ is that I dont think it is time to panic, that there are positives to be taken from even the darkest day (and negatives from every 100-point victory) and to me, Johnno and Murphy were big WINS vs North. I expect to beat Brisbane this week, belt Essendon next and then lose to Adelaide in round 22...and whilst we aren't in the best form to beat Hawthorn in finals week one right at this moment, we have time and compared to the dark days at the end of last year, I am pretty darn happy!

mjp
14-08-2008, 12:45 AM
At this level 95% of the game is played above the shoulders ... this is not a fleeting thing
Disagree...confidence and doubt come and go with the wind.

I can't remember our last quick start ... it was well before Darwin ... even against Melbourne we started slowly
I expect us to have a 6 or 7 goal first quarter this week...we will start the way we finished against North - full of run.

In 2006 we soley relied on Johnno ... and it got us to the finals ... he was dead set brilliant; the best season he has had in the tri-colours ... but we will get smashed in this finals series if we only look to him for inspiration

Agree - but if he plays well it will sure help...and he has not exactly had a good season this year. The group is more mature now, and Cooney, Murphy, Griffen, Cross, Hargrave etc...they can generate inspiration on their own these days, but they need the skipper to join in.

Me ... I'm quickly running out of Grecian 2000

I dont really know what that is but it sounds nasty.

bornadog
14-08-2008, 12:40 PM

Mike, it hides grey hair:p

bornadog
14-08-2008, 12:41 PM
All were poor...but wasn't my point that Gia had a good last quarter and would therefore be looking forward with confidence to next week? I have not mentioned any of the others in this thread - though my thoughts on Tiller, Callan, Street and Hahn - are well documented on the site and I dont see the need to continuously replay them. Some of those guys are yet to make it, others are never going too...Aker is just struggling.

If you want me to go through the whole team from the North game with individual assessments, then I guess I can...but I refuse to accept that Gia played well because he gave us NOTHING when the game was up for grabs early. Possessions late are well and good - but he is a leader of the club and we need him to be a 4q contributor.

Confidence comes from moment to moment...anyone who disagrees with this needs to think of any team sport where momentum regularly shifts from one side to the other for no reason whatsoever...and everyone knows of the famous come from behind victory/loss - those results are fuelled by the transitory nature of confidence.

To be perfectly honest, I really dont disagree with you when you are saying that things are not going all that well right now, and certainly agree that the weekends output was poor. I guess where I differ is that I dont think it is time to panic, that there are positives to be taken from even the darkest day (and negatives from every 100-point victory) and to me, Johnno and Murphy were big WINS vs North. I expect to beat Brisbane this week, belt Essendon next and then lose to Adelaide in round 22...and whilst we aren't in the best form to beat Hawthorn in finals week one right at this moment, we have time and compared to the dark days at the end of last year, I am pretty darn happy!

Love reading your assessments of the dogs and the players, gives us a different view. Most of us have never coached at the elite level and our comments are based on emotion.

I guess as supporters of the Bulldogs, we have been starved of success and that is why a lot of fans are getting nervous, that we will go into the finals, with poor form and go out in straight sets after such a promising start.

Thank you for giving us a different prospective, as I for one feel a lot more confident now.

The Coon Dog
14-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Love reading your assessments of the dogs and the players, gives us a different view. Most of us have never coached at the elite level and our comments are based on emotion.

I guess as supporters of the Bulldogs, we have been starved of success and that is why a lot of fans are getting nervous, that we will go into the finals, with poor form and go out in straight sets after such a promising start.

Thank you for giving us a different prospective, as I for one feel a lot more confident now.

Ditto, like bornadog I too enjoy reading your perspective on things Mike, very enlightening.

1eyedog
14-08-2008, 02:13 PM

I'm a big fan of Farren Ray, he's not the quickest player in the squad but he's one of the best to find space and carry the ball sorely lacking since Griffen has copped more attention over the past 6 weeks.

LostDoggy
14-08-2008, 09:50 PM
It's perfectly natural to be nervous about finals when you follow a team with limited finals experience and success. Add to it the fact that we appear to be out of form and it's a recipe for fear and doubt. I was actually thinking about things more earlier in the season than I am now.

I look at it this way.

The team has been training harder to build a strong fitness base to take into the finals.
Players don't forget how to play the game in the space of 4 weeks.
We need to leave some tricks up our sleeve for September.
Most teams have a down period at some stage in the season.
We have a raft of players who can improve dramatically on their current form.
If anything is going to make the players find the required hardness and hunger for a contest, it's the finals stage in front of a big crowd.

All we can do is sit back, barrack and take it as it comes. I'm confident that if we lose in September it won't be through lack of trying.

Go Dogs!!

LostDoggy
14-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Our skills were deplorable. No doubt a result of reactive footy, which would seem to derive from playing without intensity in the head.

We can therefore expect a much better showing WHEN we have a reason to be more intense.

Nevertheless, come the big day(s), turnovers like last weekend will crucify us and lead to an early exit.

GVGjr
14-08-2008, 10:51 PM
This weekends game is critical for us to get back into some good form. We can dress up the losses and the brand of footy we have been playing in the last month under a few disguises but we need to get back into running the football and keeping the scoreboard ticking over. More importantly we need to find some spark in the man on man contests. Once we regain that, then the confidence will return for the supporters and the playing group.

1eyedog
15-08-2008, 11:19 AM
If we finish third do we play Hawthorn at the MCG? I like our chances at the G against the Hawks more than the Dome, given our form at the Dome this year (yeah sure we beat some teams there early this year one of which was West Coast but I think we play ordinary football there generally). Our form away on the larger grounds has been good (Subi, Manuka, Tassie and the MCG). Does anyone have any thoughts as to why our form is not as good at the Dome?

LostDoggy
15-08-2008, 12:24 PM

Have to agree bornadog, my original post was responded too by MJP and put another perpective on it......i didnt feel so bad afterwards.....which is a good thing :)

The Pie Man
15-08-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm a big fan of Farren Ray, he's not the quickest player in the squad but he's one of the best to find space and carry the ball sorely lacking since Griffen has copped more attention over the past 6 weeks.

And he's terrific overhead for his size.

Just gets run down a bit - sometimes holds onto it too long. I'm a fan as well though - but his leg speed isn't there. Still contributes - find it strange the 3rd pick in any draft isn't quick (unless KP)

Go_Dogs
15-08-2008, 03:17 PM
And he's terrific overhead for his size.

Just gets run down a bit - sometimes holds onto it too long. I'm a fan as well though - but his leg speed isn't there. Still contributes - find it strange the 3rd pick in any draft isn't quick (unless KP)

4th pick. His speed might not be elite (I don't think he's that slow though), but his endurance is fantastic.

Does anyone feel that perhaps Ray gets confused by coaching instruction?

It seems as though he is certainly the designated spare man/ball carrier at the moment, and he just likes to run and take as much space as he can. This is all good in theory, but he needs to be more aware that when a good option presents, take it. Carrying the ball by foot is fine, but if you can move it quickly through good ball use and taking the right option, he'll look a lot better.

Scraggers
16-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Disagree...confidence and doubt come and go with the wind.

THe wind is pretty bloody strong right now then ... lost 4 of our last 5, and right now we don't look like winning another

I expect us to have a 6 or 7 goal first quarter this week...we will start the way we finished against North - full of run.

History proved you wrong ... its amazing what you can see with 20/20 hindsight ... i.e. I am posting this after our loss to Brisbane so its easy for me to say this won't happen

Agree - but if he plays well it will sure help...and he has not exactly had a good season this year. The group is more mature now, and Cooney, Murphy, Griffen, Cross, Hargrave etc...they can generate inspiration on their own these days, but they need the skipper to join in.

They are certainly capable of showing maturity and inspiration ... not happening right now though ... this all comes back to my original comment that 95% of the game is played above the shoulders, and right now our heads are not screwed on straight

It gets rid of grey hair ... but now my grey hairs are turning white !!!

mjp
17-08-2008, 02:05 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, all of that is fair enough I guess (apart from the Grecian 2000 which STILL sounds nasty!)

I wasn't too unhappy early and thought we were by far the better side for large parts of the game. Brisbane came in with a plan though and executed beautifully - and we seemed to be unable to react.

I guess the clincher for me was half way through the 3rd q we had 8 inside 50's to Brisbane's 1 - yet they had one goal and we had not even scored! My other points about Murphy and Johnno finding form? Well, it didn't look like it to me, and Murphy seemed to spend as much time behind the ball as in front of it...

Is anyone prepared to suggest that Brisbane were more prepared and better coached last night (well, it is obviously a weeks worth of game planning) than we were?

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Is anyone prepared to suggest that Brisbane were more prepared and better coached last night (well, it is obviously a weeks worth of game planning) than we were?

Someone mentioned last week that Eade hadn't had a great month in the coaches box and I agree that we are just not catching other teams on the hop like they are with us. It's not just the players and the coaches need to lift their game as well.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 09:25 AM
My concern is we do not seem to be able to deal with teams getting numbers behind the ball. We lack patience in working the ball forward and bomb indisciminately into the forward area where our forwards are outnumbered.

Hence the large number of forward entries without result. The number of forward entries is a meaningless statistic when the ball enters the zone without purpose.

Much of the problem is caused by not moving the ball quickly enough when coming out of the backline nor being prepared to take the opposition on.

Another issue is the number of clangers, particularly in delivery. If I hear another commentator talk about how good our delivery is I will throw up. Fact is we make too many errors in delivering the ball and on all occasions these are unforced errors.

I thought we would be rid of that with the move of Mc Mahon but others have taken over his mantle.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 08:25 PM
It's not just the players and the coaches need to lift their game as well.

A bit of heat in that area at moment they are well aware and know what is at stake. Eade if he had his chance again would not have uttered the NAB cup similarities.

FrediKanoute
18-08-2008, 08:41 PM
I reckon we are in a lot of trouble. I know there has been talk in the press about the doggies resting payers and loading up on fitness, but to me (and bear in mind I see games delayed and only on TV) we look flat and tired. I can't help but think that we have peaked a lite too early this year and that the long pre-season is taking its toll.

We have dropped 4 of our last 5 games and in all of them we have surrendered leads in the 2nd half. That is fatigue!