PDA

View Full Version : VFL Williamstown vs Port Melbourne Live On ABC

LostDoggy
09-08-2008, 02:40 PM
3QT
Williamstown 3.4.22 6.8.11.12.78
Port Melbourne 2.7.19 7.10 13.14.92

-Peter Street, Tim Callan, Callan Ward, Shaun Higgins all not playing.
-9 Bulldogs listed players: Josh Hill, Cam Wight, Jarrod Boumman, Wayde Skipper, Guy O'Keefe, Andrejs Everitt, Easton Wood, Brennan Stack, Sam Reid

-Late 2nd term Cameron Wight copped a bump while spoiling a mark, he went down the race and came back out..spitting out plenty of blood - Has gone to hospital with a suspected broken jaw..

-Everitt playing very ordinary, Hill playing pretty well..took a great grab in the 2nd and kicked a goal

Topdog
09-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Good end to the 2nd quarter with us kicking 3 of the last 4 so far. Been outplayed for most of the day.

Happy Days
09-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Shiggins wasn't named in the teams on Friday, but it seems to look as if Cal and Streeta are playing in the ones tomorrow for Hill and (presumably) Hudson respectivley.

Rocket Science
09-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Don't mind what I've seen from Wood in the first half...hasn't been terribly active but moves well and thinks his way through situations.

Wight, Hill and Everitt were guilty of some atrocious turnovers in the first half through a combination of poor decision making and/or poor skills, particularly by foot...that said, Wighty's endeavour's been solid both with and without the pill, Hill's been handy but needs to curb the unrealistic marking attempts, and Everitt's slowly worked his way into the game.

Skipper's not faring too well versus the bigger Fanning in the ruck, but beginning to have more of an impact around the ground. Suspect he's played his last game in red, white and blue.

Stack's done a couple of nice things in traffic, but has largely run around like a headless chook otherwise.

Bouwmann struggling to get involved so far...just his 2nd senior game though.

Sockeye Salmon
09-08-2008, 03:42 PM
O'Keefe has been OK. Wood encouraging.

Wight dreadful, Everitt reasonable except for one howler that cost a goal.

Brilliant kick by Reid set up a goal to Cloke.

Not a lot for Dogs supporters to cheer about to be honest.

LostDoggy
09-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Is it just me or is Everitt looking completely uninterested..

The Pie Man
09-08-2008, 04:54 PM

Looks to have zero confidence - was cursing himself for not having clean hands in the last quarter while a tackle was still being laid on the Port player nearby.

Reid kicked a nice goal in the 3rd.

Was hoping Boumann would do more, though he had a bit of it in the 4th.

You mentioned Skip's papers have been stamped Rocket Science, Cam Wight will be spewing he's (maybe) broken his jaw today, not great timing. Guys, do you know if he's contracted next year?

Rocket Science
09-08-2008, 05:11 PM

Agreed...Everitt looks all over the shop. Talk about sophomore slumps...Becoming a concern he hasn't been able to shake the staggers this year. How often has it been remarked he looks a completely different player to the one who was able to step into the senior side and contribute almost immediately last season? Often getting by on his physical gifts alone at the moment but not sure where his head is at. Looking forward to a much more settled year three from Andrejs.

As for Wighty...yep, apparently rushed to hospital at half time with a suspected fractured jaw after a pretty strong aerial spoil on a Borough opponent. Hard to see exactly what happened but commentators opined he copped a boot to the face upon landing. Was spitting quite a bit of claret on the sidelines.

Skip's looking a lot bigger in the upper body this year and as usual took some solid overhead grabs as the game progressed but doesn't do anything consistently or well enough to make a play for a spot in the Dogs side. One wonders why he hasn't been trialled at least in the Minson/FF role, perhaps his lack of ruck prowess prohibits, but whatever the reason he's probably plodded along on the list long enough without making any serious noise and must be a prime candidate for the chop come seasons end, and that's in spite of a lack of pressure from younger candidates for his role to boot.

GVGjr
09-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I went along and had a look and there wasn't a lot of positives from a Doggies perspective other than the continual improvement of Easton Wood. Port were very good at picking off the lateral switches and making the Seagulls pay for it.
Given it was on the tele I won't bother with a report. The reserves had a solid win but there was only Mulligan, White and O'Shea playing from the Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
09-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Wighty also got kicked as he was lying on the ground by #4 for Port, umpire saw it, ran over and reported him for it. Cam got up so fast, ran over to that #4 and had a bit of a push and shove then ran off the ground.

The Pie Man
10-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Skip's looking a lot bigger in the upper body this year and as usual took some solid overhead grabs as the game progressed but doesn't do anything consistently or well enough to make a play for a spot in the Dogs side. One wonders why he hasn't been trialled at least in the Minson/FF role, perhaps his lack of ruck prowess prohibits, but whatever the reason he's probably plodded along on the list long enough without making any serious noise and must be a prime candidate for the chop come seasons end, and that's in spite of a lack of pressure from younger candidates for his role to boot.

Herald Sun report on the game had Skipper in Willy's best - can't blame him for being absolutely buggered come the 4th quarter in only his second game back, but a couple of his kicks in the last quarter were hideous, and I didn't think he was in their best.

I'd love to see him play out of the goal square, and he does look physically bigger. I agree, will likely be delisted, but part of me thinks he's worth one more game at FF for the Dogs for a punt.

Bulldog Revolution
10-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Given that Willy have had a great season but have had a number of get out of jail wins I actually think yesterdays result was probably a good thing for them. I think they needed a wake up call and have one too many games when they haven't played that well.

I only saw half the third quarter and the last but I felt Skipper got his hand to the ball far more than his opponent. Wood looked promising as did OKeefe.

Seemed to me that Willy lacked drive from the centre square.

GVGjr
10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Given that Willy have had a great season but have had a number of get out of jail wins I actually think yesterdays result was probably a good thing for them. I think they needed a wake up call and have one too many games when they haven't played that well.

I only saw half the third quarter and the last but I felt Skipper got his hand to the ball far more than his opponent. Wood looked promising as did OKeefe.

Williamstown position on the ladder is somewhat inflated by a number of close wins.

Regarding yesterday, yes they lacked drive out of the centre and a few of the prime movers were well down.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 07:10 PM

If a team is going to beat Port Melb then they have to win the ball out of the centre, ive watched Port 2 weeks in a row now and both weaks they have beat the opposition in the middle of the ground.

Its a worrying sign at how well Port have played at TEAC oval, considering the finals are played there.

Beat Port in the middle of the ground and you will pretty much win the game imo.

Bulldog Revolution
10-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Williamstown position on the ladder is somewhat inflated by a number of close wins.

Regarding yesterday, yes they lacked drive out of the centre and a few of the prime movers were well down.

I agree regarding the ladder position. They have not been a mile ahead of pretty much everyone like Geelong in the AFL. That said Gotch has obviously done a fine job with the group.

Relatively speaking it is a fairly raw collection of first and second year bulldogs (Wood, Boumann, Everitt, Reid, OKeefe, Stack, Hill, Everitt) plus a few others Street and Skipper that have featured in the VFL side plus Tiller, Ward, OShea, White etc

Lets hope West will give their engine room a jolt next week

Cyberdoggie
11-08-2008, 05:23 PM
If a team is going to beat Port Melb then they have to win the ball out of the centre, ive watched Port 2 weeks in a row now and both weaks they have beat the opposition in the middle of the ground.

Its a worrying sign at how well Port have played at TEAC oval, considering the finals are played there.

Beat Port in the middle of the ground and you will pretty much win the game imo.

it's worrying if you don't support port melbourne yes.

But for me it's rather enjoyable.

I must admit i had a real conflict of interest in this game.
I used to barrack for willy ages ago, but when the dogs dumped them and they soled their soul to the pies i switched to port because of friends and they were stand alone.

So when port play willy (2 heated rivals of old) it's quite difficult for me.

Great to see a non alligned club doing well though. I enjoy watching a side that has players that are interested in playing for their club.

Also it has really changed my opinion of gary ayres as a coach.
Before he was at port i thought he was a dud, a miser and someone who had a very high opinion of himself.
I couldn't be more wrong. This game was the only time i have seen him even raise his voice, and it wasn't in anger. He still comes across as a very modern coach, let's the players make most of the decisions on matchups and rewards players efforts consistently. You only need to see the improvement in so many players this season to see the effect he has had as a coach. It wouldn't surprise me to see many of them drafted by afl clubs come end of the year. Tell me you wouldn't want a robin nahas in your forward line?

Cyberdoggie
11-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I went along and had a look and there wasn't a lot of positives from a Doggies perspective other than the continual improvement of Easton Wood. Port were very good at picking off the lateral switches and making the Seagulls pay for it.
Given it was on the tele I won't bother with a report. The reserves had a solid win but there was only Mulligan, White and O'Shea playing from the Bulldogs.

i agree totally, i'm really liking the way wood is coming along. He's got simon black written all over him. He's been a steady improver and is looking more confident every time i see him. Pity i can't say the same about some of our other players.

I'm happy with o'keefe for now, i still think he needs more defensive effort. His season has tailored off a bit, started with a real bang, so will be looking forward to seeing him next year.

skipper - gone, (too slow, not tall enough, not strong enough and can't take an overhead grab every since puncturing his lung in sydney)

hill still doesn't want to put his body on the line. i really hope he can improve in this area and learn to get more of the pill

i overheard the willy forwards coach giving jarrad bouman some advice, he mentioned that he needed to get more physical and not get knocked out of the contest. He's a big boy and needs to throw his wait around. Not sure if the advice worked, looked a bit lost up forward. Made one nice pass though, so does have some skill with the ball.

Everitt was abysmal. he was slow, lazy and his disposal was a disgrace. Made at least 2 critical blunders by foot with no pressure that lead to goal scoring opportunities to port.
Been really dissapointing this year i have to say.

I saw wighty going up the race near me, was spitting out plenty of blood, i thought it might have also been teeth. I think he got a head clash from the port player who was backing into the contest.

my area of concern is that we have a real lack of experienced or physically mature bodies to fill any positions in the dogs lineup at the moment. Let's hope, higgins, west and williams can fill that void soon.

hujsh
11-08-2008, 05:50 PM
my area of concern is that we have a real lack of experienced or physically mature bodies to fill any positions in the dogs lineup at the moment. Let's hope, higgins, west and williams can fill that void soon.

I'd rather have that group than the Faulkner Birss Rawlings group of 05

Cyberdoggie
11-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I'd rather have that group than the Faulkner Birss Rawlings group of 05

absolutely, don't worry i think there is plenty of talent in our young players, i'm really looking forward to the day they are at their peak. Just speaking in a now sense i think they aren't ready yet and in our current state with injuries at the dogs, we are on the verge of getting tested for depth.

Sockeye Salmon
11-08-2008, 06:59 PM
I saw wighty going up the race near me, was spitting out plenty of blood, i thought it might have also been teeth. I think he got a head clash from the port player who was backing into the contest.

Er, no.

He got kicked in the mouth while they were both on the ground and the Port player was reported for it. It looks like neither of them will play finals.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Er, no.

He got kicked in the mouth while they were both on the ground and the Port player was reported for it. It looks like neither of them will play finals.
Kick with serious head/facial injuries must equal 10+ weeks.

I would love anyone that hears the result to post it here. That's a blatant pricks act.

GVGjr
11-08-2008, 07:49 PM
i agree totally, i'm really liking the way wood is coming along. He's got simon black written all over him. He's been a steady improver and is looking more confident every time i see him. Pity i can't say the same about some of our other players.

I know you have made the comparison between Wood and Black a few times but I just don't see it. Wood is a power athlete who will take a big mark and play in bursts whereas Black is more of a smooth mover and classic midfielder type.

At least we can agree on the fact that the progress he has made in the last 2 months has been very promising and he would have to be well ahead of the clubs expectations of him.

GVGjr
11-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Er, no.

It was a nasty incident and very low act. The fact that a number of Port fans actually cheered it on really caused some friction between the supporters.
Overall the Port fans are clearly the worst I have encountered over the last two years of going to the majority of Werribee and now Williamstown games. They cheer every mistake the opposition makes, challenge every decision that goes against them by the umpires and even cheer the injuries to opposition players. There was a time where polite applause or acknowledgment would occur when any player is seriously injured however, I think the Port supporters never quite grasped that. Easton Wood was cannoned into whilst he was on the ground and really had the stuffing knocked out of him and yet the supporters acted like he actually deserved it.

By the way this is what the club sent the media about the injuries. Does anyone else think 1 to 2 weeks is somewhat optimistic if Wight actually has a broken jaw?

Dylan Addison Media Ligament 6 weeks
Scott West Knee - bone stress Expected to play this week for Williamstown
Ben Hudson Back To be assessed
Tom Williams Shoulder To be assessed
Cameron Wight Broken jaw 1- 2 weeks
Shaun Higgins Ankle Expected to play this week for Williamstown
Jarrad Grant Early signs of osteitis pubis Out for remainder of 2008 Season

bulldogtragic
11-08-2008, 08:15 PM
How many games did Cameron Ling miss with a broken jaw?
I thought Ling's was a checkbone Baz?

GVGjr
11-08-2008, 08:44 PM

That was my understanding

The Coon Dog
11-08-2008, 09:31 PM
It was a cheekbone jaw face thingy injury! :o

Sockeye Salmon
11-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Easton Wood was cannoned into whilst he was on the ground and really had the stuffing knocked out of him and yet the supporters acted like he actually deserved it.

That was another bad one. The Port player Bonna..whatever, the FF, got reported for that one as well.

GVGjr
11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
That was another bad one. The Port player Bonna..whatever, the FF, got reported for that one as well.

Wood is a tough kid though and more than answered the challenge.

Back to the game, Williamstown are a very small side and losing Wight (along with McDougall) will be very hard for them to cover. O'Shea wasn't great in the reserves either but he might get the call up.

Templeton31
12-08-2008, 10:58 AM
it seems frustratingly typical of McDougalls time at the Dogs that there might be an opportunity opening up for him both at Willi and Dogs level now but instead its not there b/c he pulled the pin a month ago.

Cyberdoggie
12-08-2008, 12:18 PM
It was a nasty incident and very low act. The fact that a number of Port fans actually cheered it on really caused some friction between the supporters.
Overall the Port fans are clearly the worst I have encountered over the last two years of going to the majority of Werribee and now Williamstown games. They cheer every mistake the opposition makes, challenge every decision that goes against them by the umpires and even cheer the injuries to opposition players. There was a time where polite applause or acknowledgment would occur when any player is seriously injured however, I think the Port supporters never quite grasped that. Easton Wood was cannoned into whilst he was on the ground and really had the stuffing knocked out of him and yet the supporters acted like he actually deserved it.

I agree there are some ferels at port melbourne, many of them make me cringe but they are vocal and support the club. I think they are the last remnants of the traditional vfl competition, and they are making a bit of a resurgence this year. I have also supported willy and tried to take an interest in werribee and they both have their share of feral supporters. The Frankstonites were pretty bad in past as well. You may say the port fans are the worst but they are also the most social. I don't think any other club is as accomodating to the opposition teams after the game.

Having said that booing injured players etc isn't acceptable obviously.

The easton wood incident where bonnadio got reported was a bit dubious.
it was right in front of me and there is no way bonners deliberately tried to clean him up.
Wood was being tackled by another player so he tried to break that tackle and back out while ducking his head. Meanwhile bonners came running in from the other direction and as wood backed out he cannoned into him. Sure it was clumsy and he made high contact but it wasn't deliberate.

re wood on black, i still think he looks, runs and plays a bit like simon black. You are right they are different style players but i don't think they are too far apart. I'm getting my hands on the tv recording of the game so i'll have another close look. I've only ever seen him from the ground so i'll take another look.

bornadog
12-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I agree there are some ferels at port melbourne, many of them make me cringe but they are vocal and support the club. I think they are the last remnants of the traditional vfl competition, and they are making a bit of a resurgence this year. I have also supported willy and tried to take an interest in werribee and they both have their share of feral supporters. The Frankstonites were pretty bad in past as well. You may say the port fans are the worst but they are also the most social. I don't think any other club is as accomodating to the opposition teams after the game.

I went down to Port last year to watch Chris Grant play for Werribee and I was discussed with what the Port Supporters were saying to him behind the goals. There is sledging and there is sledging. They showed no respect and what they were saying, any where else they would have been jailed.

Sedat
12-08-2008, 03:22 PM
it seems frustratingly typical of McDougalls time at the Dogs that there might be an opportunity opening up for him both at Willi and Dogs level now but instead its not there b/c he pulled the pin a month ago.
No doubt he would have been in line for a call-up this week if his form continued to remain steady playing down back for Williamstown. Still, his retirement mid season suggests he is not 100% commited to the cause, or his body is failing him, or both.

bornadog
12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I was away for the week end in Mallacoota and didn't see or hear any footy during the day (thank god).

How did Stack play for Willy?

Sockeye Salmon
12-08-2008, 04:04 PM
The easton wood incident where bonnadio got reported was a bit dubious.
it was right in front of me and there is no way bonners deliberately tried to clean him up.
Wood was being tackled by another player so he tried to break that tackle and back out while ducking his head. Meanwhile bonners came running in from the other direction and as wood backed out he cannoned into him. Sure it was clumsy and he made high contact but it wasn't deliberate.

Alex,

I appreciate that you will always support your team, we all do, but Bonnadio hit Wood with his knees a good second after Wood had already got the free kick.

If I was on the MRP I would have classified it as intentional, the best he could hope for would be reckless.

LostDoggy
12-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I think the Port Supporters have mellowed over the years. How bad were they before?

GVGjr
12-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I was away for the week end in Mallacoota and didn't see or hear any footy during the day (thank god).

How did Stack play for Willy?

Hardly got a touch.

Cyberdoggie
13-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Alex,

I appreciate that you will always support your team, we all do, but Bonnadio hit Wood with his knees a good second after Wood had already got the free kick.

If I was on the MRP I would have classified it as intentional, the best he could hope for would be reckless.

to be honest when port is playing willy i'm probably 60-40 in favour of port. It's a very difficult situation, which is probably why you see me on the broadcast looking less excited than the others near me.

it was clumsy sure but i thought it wasn't intential. I was very close to the incident
however i will get a copy of the tape tonight and see what story the camera tells.

Cyberdoggie
13-08-2008, 05:22 PM
just in some late breaking news,

the bonnadio case got thrown out.

mcglynn got 2 weeks

d robbins got 2 weeks.

Sockeye Salmon
14-08-2008, 11:48 PM
mcglynn got 2 weeks

d robbins got 2 weeks.

Which one was the guy reported for kicking?

How do you get 2 weeks for kicking?

You either did it and deserve 6 or didn't do it and deserve none?

Bulldog Revolution
15-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Which one was the guy reported for kicking?

How do you get 2 weeks for kicking?

You either did it and deserve 6 or didn't do it and deserve none?

Agreed - it's incredible if one of them has been done for kicking and only got two weeks

What could be the logic of it: you kicked him, but you didn't kick him hard enough

Sockeye Salmon
15-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Agreed - it's incredible if one of them has been done for kicking and only got two weeks

What could be the logic of it: you kicked him, but you didn't kick him hard enough

Kicked him hard enough to break his jaw

Cyberdoggie
16-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Kicked him hard enough to break his jaw

they made head contact with each other that's where he broke his jaw,

the umpire reported robbins because after he got up he gave wight a kick allegedly,
which he as since got off.

Sockeye Salmon
16-08-2008, 05:56 PM
they made head contact with each other that's where he broke his jaw,

the umpire reported robbins because after he got up he gave wight a kick allegedly,
which he as since got off.

He kicked him while they were both lying on the ground. I can't possibly see how he could have got off.

What did he get the two weeks for?