PDA

View Full Version : Aka: Critics bleat, but turnaround in form isn't far away

LostDoggy
13-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Critics bleat, but turnaround in form isn't far away

Jason Akermanis | August 13, 2008 12:00am

ALL OF a sudden, the vultures are circling and the wolves are at the door.

Even an old teammate Luke Darcy has joined in.

It's what happens when a player who has been around as long as I have has a slow month.

A month ago, it was all fantastic. Now it seems everyone's wanting to get into us.

In All-Australian contention one month, almost being given the boot the next.

On Sunday against North Melbourne, the plan was to give me a reasonably light game.

After a quiet first half, I was sent back to play in defence on Brent Harvey.

I immediately thought: "If he towels me up, I'm in a lot of strife."

It wasn't that hard to focus. I had to do a job to help the side.

Harvey had helped himself to 18 touches by halftime and looked dangerous.
Related Links

As the coach Rodney Eade revealed afterwards, I had one foot back in the VFL with Williamstown.

It was a courageous move from the coaching staff and I believe I made a solid contribution after the long break as we, as a team, also improved.

I wasn't surprised Rodney mentioned how close I was to being dropped.

He'd mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. That's what happens.

You also have to accept the media are going to criticise you.

I picked up the Herald Sun on Monday morning to discover "Darce" had told SEN listeners I needed a spell.

"You can't carry someone whose body language is the way it is today," he said.

"His second efforts are non-existent. When you turn up and show you don't want to be out there, you have a spell."

Darce gets paid to do it and I'll probably be the same when I finish up. At times I'll have to give it to former teammates.

But it can look easy from the stands and Darce, as much as anyone, knows how tough it can be.

He was probably lucky to have a spot at times last year, coming back from knee reconstructions.

You take it on board, but I can't agree on the body language.

It is always the same. I am always careful to keep that as consistent as possible.

It is very easy to say, "He's useless", without adding what the player can do to turn it around.

The knockers started after the Geelong loss a few weeks ago, when another old teammate Michael Voss had a crack.

Vossy wrote that I never played well against the Cats. He doesn't have a great memory.

The most recent outings haven't been special, but I have played some really good games against Geelong over the years.

You just have to get on with it and not worry too much about what people are saying.

What has gone wrong, you might ask?

That's not an easy one to answer. It's not something simple like an injury. You can't say it's mental either.

The neurons and the muscles in the body are the same. I've got some little niggles, like anyone, but that's no excuse.

A couple of weeks back, I probably started working too hard midweek to get myself out of a hole. That's fixed now.

It still hurts, which means I still have the passion to play. If it didn't, I would call it a day.

I just need to hang in there, as does the club.

As a club, we've done so well, but the past two weeks our starts have been very poor.

We haven't been as strong around the centre. The ball isn't coming into the forward line like it usually does, either.

We head to my old stomping ground of Brisbane on Saturday night.

What better place to get back on the horse, and keep at it, than at the Gabba?

Comments about Darce and Voss wern't to flash, but its a decent article

Dancin' Douggy
13-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Well Acker....... You WERE bad in the first half.
Things were happening around you and you were looking the other way!
You were caught out time and time again. Yes I think you've had a great year and Yes I think you've brought alot to the team, but you are not above criticism!
This article is just weird. You admit you need to turn things around but you don't think anyone else is allowed to say it? Come on Acker grow up! How's this for a quote from yourself in this article?

" You just have to get on with it and not worry too much about what people are saying".

But your whole article is about worrying ABOUT what people are saying.

When you were one out against Harvey you proved what a great player you are but he still lost you on several telling occasions and you have to admit you didn't play a great game.
No one is trying to crucify you but an honest assessment of your last few weeks says you need to regain form. JUST COP IT!

Dancin' Douggy
13-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Sorry, wasn't quite finished.
OR YOU'LL GET A REPUTATION AS A SOOK!!!

hujsh
13-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I took it as a view on how quickly the vultures circle in AFL.

Dancin' Douggy
13-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I took it as someone calling rational critics "circling vultures".

Topdog
13-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I think you are overly sensitive DD. He acknowledges that he played poorly and needs to get better but was just surprised at how quickly things can turn bad on you.

Bulldog Revolution
13-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I liked the article and thought it showed a fair degree of maturity

If guys take pot shots at him he is allowed to fire a few back, but he needs to keep his focus on playinng footy - I think thats what he's done

1eyedog
13-08-2008, 10:28 PM
I liked it too, he seemed to search himself out through the article a interesting insight into the inner mechanics of a unique individual. If Darce can lay it out Darce can cop it, Darce probably didn't deserve a spot at times last year as he was playing on reputation. Aker was just being straight out. Hope his form turns around for him soon, no comment on any injuries, but if you are going to keep playing you usually keep those things close to your chest.

Dancin' Douggy
13-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Did Aker Play Well In The First Half Against The Roos?

westdog54
14-08-2008, 02:22 AM

Do you get the point of the article?

Did you miss the part where he admits he had "A quiet first half"?

Do you enjoy ranting and raving?

Topdog
14-08-2008, 08:04 AM

Did Aker say that he played well in the first half?

Dancin' Douggy
14-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Did Aker say that he played well in the first half?

No he didn't and neither did Luke Darcy.
So why is Aker upset at being criticised by Darce?
When he admits himself he had a poor first half.
That's my whole point.
And PLEASE, I'm hardly ranting and raving.
I just thing Aker should cop criticism when it's warranted like every other player in the league. No big deal.

ledge
14-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Where does Aker say he is upset with Darcy?
All he is saying is Darcy knows the situation because he has been in it and as a reporter he has reported something as he sees it.
Aker even said if he was in Darcys position he would probably do the same thing.
I dont see where he is upset with him in the article at all.
All he pointed out was how quick things can turn around, even admits to a slow month.
And Aker did say everyone wants to get intoUS, not just him, the whole team.

Dancin' Douggy
14-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Maybe I'm reading between the lines

1eyedog
14-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Maybe I'm reading between the lines

You just have to understand Aker, he has a crack at anyone who makes a comment on the way he is going. It could of been Darce could of been anyone. Aker is a proud and sometime over-zealous person who doesn't overly appreciate being judged, so he just gives it back it's in his nature no malice intended I'm sure, just like the punch someone out scenario. I think some people are looking in to this way too much.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2008, 01:50 PM
You just have to understand Aker, he has a crack at anyone who makes a comment on the way he is going. It could of been Darce could of been anyone. Aker is a proud and sometime over-zealous person who doesn't overly appreciate being judged, so he just gives it back it's in his nature no malice intended I'm sure, just like the punch someone out scenario. I think some people are looking in to this way too much.

Agreed. I don't think anyone is really taking it that personally or seriously. Write off Akermanis at your peril....hopefully other teams do come finals.

bornadog
14-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Agreed. I don't think anyone is really taking it that personally or seriously. Write off Akermanis at your peril....hopefully other teams do come finals.

Still believe his finals experience will be invaulable come finals time..... The X factor;)

LostDoggy
14-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Just me or was that the worst written article by Aker. Reads like he wrote it in the car on the way to drop it in.

1eyedog
14-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Just me or was that the worst written article by Aker. Reads like he wrote it in the car on the way to drop it in.

It's an awkward self-evaluation that clearly doesn't come that easy to him.