PDA

View Full Version : Next week - any changes?

LostDoggy
24-02-2007, 10:25 PM
I think we have a number of players available for next week. If so how many changes would they make?

BulldogBelle
24-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I think we have a number of players available for next week. If so how many changes would they make?

According to one of the online papers there will be 4 more players available that were not present today -

"Eade expected to have Ryan Hargrave, Nathan Eagleton, Dale Morris and Peter Street back in his lineup for next weekend."

Here is the article

Dogs dine out in Canberra on Swans (http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=359031)

I would think a few changes would be made just to give everyone a go.

bulldogtragic
24-02-2007, 11:39 PM
According to one of the online papers there will be 4 more players available that were not present today -

"Eade expected to have Ryan Hargrave, Nathan Eagleton, Dale Morris and Peter Street back in his lineup for next weekend."

Here is the article

Dogs dine out in Canberra on Swans (http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=359031)

I would think a few changes would be made just to give everyone a go.
I’d also like to see Hill & Andrejs.

Harbrow & Lynch for those boys.

Probably 3 of those playing above – For Skipper, Dmac perhaps Wight if injured?

alwaysadog
25-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Eagle, Morris and Street maybe, but has Shaggie done any real track work yet that would suggest he is ready for the contest?

GVGjr
25-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Eagle, Morris and Street maybe, but has Shaggie done any real track work yet that would suggest he is ready for the contest?

I know what you are saying about Shaggy but Robbins hadn't really done anything either and performed in typically Robbins fashion.
My guess it will be Morris and Eagleton back into the team.

GVGjr
25-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I’d also like to see Hill & Andrejs.

Harbrow & Lynch for those boys.

Probably 3 of those playing above – For Skipper, Dmac perhaps Wight if injured?

If Hughes is available I'd like to see him get a game as well. He's looked good a few times in the intra club games and it could be a great chance to see how he performs in what should be a big game for us.

Go_Dogs
25-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Aker against the Lions.

alwaysadog
25-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I know what you are saying about Shaggy but Robbins hadn't really done anything either and performed in typically Robbins fashion.
My guess it will be Morris and Eagleton back into the team.

I agree Morris and Eagle (maybe Street) but on the other point, Robbins wasn't coming back from a major ankle op.

The Coon Dog
25-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Given that the extreme heat policy was invoked for the Swans match, there were 8 players on the bench. This will be reduced to 6 for the Lions match (unless it's very hot again), so 2 players will drop out automatically. If Morris, Street & Eagleton come in, then which 5 will drop out?

Street - Skipper
Morris - McCormack
Eagleton - Baird
Tough decision, maybe Pask & Montgomery.

I wouldn't like to be the one to make the final cut. Good position to be in tho.

alwaysadog
25-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Given that the extreme heat policy was invoked for the Swans match, there were 8 players on the bench. This will be reduced to 6 for the Lions match (unless it's very hot again), so 2 players will drop out automatically. If Morris, Street & Eagleton come in, then which 5 will drop out?

Street - Skipper
Morris - McCormack
Eagleton - Baird
Tough decision, maybe Pask & Montgomery.

I wouldn't like to be the one to make the final cut. Good position to be in tho.

What you have suggested looks pretty good to me. My only reservation will be if any of the young recruiuts come up a bit sore and its decided to not risk injury. As you say a healthy possie to be in, and plenty more to come back, so even more hard decisions to follow.

bornadog
25-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I think we need to keep developing Baird, I would like to see him have some game time. I would prefer to drop Pask as he is a rookie any way.

bulldogtragic
25-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I think we need to keep developing Baird, I would like to see him have some game time. I would prefer to drop Pask as he is a rookie any way.
I agree re: Baird. I paid a lot of attention to his games late last year and think he has enough potential and enough weapons to be a handy player. His marking hands are as good as anyone's at the club, he is unbelievable. He can't play defence that became evident, but he needs to top level game time to see just what we have.

GVGjr
25-02-2007, 03:29 PM
I agree re: Baird. I paid a lot of attention to his games late last year and think he has enough potential and enough weapons to be a handy player. His marking hands are as good as anyone's at the club, he is unbelievable. He can't play defence that became evident, but he needs to top level game time to see just what we have.

Is he a player without a true position though? To me he is a classic tallish type who can't play a KP and isn't skilled enough or have enough pace to play a season on a flank or in a pocket.

southerncross
25-02-2007, 04:12 PM

Its a very important game for the club so I would look at replacing the rookies with as many senior players that are available but I just wouldn't take any undue risks with any of the senior guys. If they are not right lets stick with the youngsters.
Morris is an absolute must if he is available though. We need to assemble a backline while Harris is not available.

bulldogtragic
25-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Is he a player without a true position though? To me he is a classic tallish type who can't play a KP and isn't skilled enough or have enough pace to play a season on a flank or in a pocket.
Are you suggesting Baird is the new K-Mac?

Dry Rot
25-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Hopefully some tall bloke who can lead out of the square.

I'm sick to death seeing Robbins at times at FF.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-02-2007, 06:13 PM
If at all possible, I would like to see us work on our structure.

Thus, not playing Robbins/Johnson at FF but instead Darcy (If available), McDougall or Pask.

Again I'd assign McDougall or Pask at CHF.

Wight CHB, Harris FB with hopefully Morris to come back into the line-up.

Skipper is another guy who should be tried at CHF, CHB.

We know our smalls can play. Thus, we need to develop our Plan B and it's the perfect time to do this with Doogs, Pask, Wight, Skipper & perhaps Darcy at our disposal.

For mine;

IN:
Morris
Eagleton
(Hargrave or Darcy?)

OUT:
McCormack
Monty
(Skipper? Wight - if inj.?)

Dry Rot
25-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Pask did look slow off the mark to me, and some Lions fans reckon he's not a defender.

Positives are that he provides a marking contest and whn he takles you, you don't get up real fast.

I'd like to see him play out of the goal square.

Liked what I saw of McDougall - IIRC he won every marking contest he had? Let him have a crack at CHF.

GVGjr
25-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Are you suggesting Baird is the new K-Mac?

K-Mac did have goal kicking abilities and if used off a HBF he could do OK. I have not seen enough of Baird to suggest that he could be used as a tallish defender or as a 3rd option marking forward. Other than that his skills are OK and he tackles hard but just seem to be missing that one signature skill or strength.
Maybe his injury interruption to the season has slowed him down a bit and he might just need a couple of more runs.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2007, 09:13 AM
I could see Baird playing that Hansen, O'Loughlin type of role, leading up the field, similar to what Murph was doing too I guess. Baird is about 193cm tall, so he isn't that short, and I think someone with his speed and nous with the hands will become a very good player for us. I don't think he'll ever be a KP in the true sense of the word, but as a leading target up the ground, he will probably be quite serviceable.

I too was a fan of his work last season before he got injured, and he's also still only really young.

GVGjr
26-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I could see Baird playing that Hansen, O'Loughlin type of role, leading up the field, similar to what Murph was doing too I guess. Baird is about 193cm tall, so he isn't that short, and I think someone with his speed and nous with the hands will become a very good player for us. I don't think he'll ever be a KP in the true sense of the word, but as a leading target up the ground, he will probably be quite serviceable.

I too was a fan of his work last season before he got injured, and he's also still only really young.

Baird does not strike as being 193cm tall. I know it's in the record books but he seems to be more about the same height as Morris at 190cm. That being said he also doesn't play tall either. You might be right that he does offer something as a leading forward.

bornadog
26-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Baird does not strike as being 193cm tall. I know it's in the record books but he seems to be more about the same height as Morris at 190cm. That being said he also doesn't play tall either. You might be right that he does offer something as a leading forward.

He is 193cm according to his profile, but in any case I really believe he should play up forward. I thought he impressed in a few games last year playing on the forward line and nearly took the mark of the year a few times, so a great leap as well.

alwaysadog
27-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Because Baird came to us from another club's rookie list we seem to expect him to be more advanced than someone who has spent a year in the system.

On the other hand he could be regarded as someone we wanted to bring to the club in the first place but were thwarted by the draft and have managed to get him courtesy of the internal politics operating at the Lions.

IMHO he is still at least a year short of growing into his body and being able to deliver on his talent. Is it too much of a leap to suggest that we are cherry picking on available Lion talent?

We know we had been tracking Baird for at least a couple of years. Pask seems more like opportunism.

I won't be expecting too much too soon from either but I hope we give both the opportunity to develop; they are still very young.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Exactly. Both have the potential to be decent players. Hopefully they impress at the right times, and I'm sure that Baird at least will see some senior action at some stage due to injuries etc. If we do have a tall go down with a long term injury it would be interesting to see what Pask could do too.

With the new rookies format, does it mean that we have to draft 4 rookies each year, or merely have 4 on our rookie list at the end of the draft period?

bulldogtragic
01-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Exactly. Both have the potential to be decent players. Hopefully they impress at the right times, and I'm sure that Baird at least will see some senior action at some stage due to injuries etc. If we do have a tall go down with a long term injury it would be interesting to see what Pask could do too.

With the new rookies format, does it mean that we have to draft 4 rookies each year, or merely have 4 on our rookie list at the end of the draft period?
My understanding is funding for the club has built into it cash/salary for 4 rookies, not the drafting of 4 each year.