PDA

View Full Version : Ins and Outs for the Bombers

GVGjr
17-08-2008, 01:57 AM
I really don't know the answer here but does anyone want to have a guess at some changes?

Rocket Science
17-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Cue more of the same pointless tinkering amongst the fringe players!

Admittedly, injuries and poor form give us limited options...but I'm getting desperate enough to tap Skipper on the shoulder.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2008, 02:15 AM
In: Higgins
Out: Hill

G-Mo77
17-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Any chance of Skipper being included this week?

craigsahibee
17-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Eagleton has to go. That moron Dwayne Russell was pumping him up last night but other than that long goal from 50 on his left what else did he give us. For someone with the reputation of a beautiful left foot kick, too many times he gives us helicopters that don't hit the target. One costly one last night was to Murph on the wing in the last quarter, which bounced 5 metres in front of Murph forcing him to stop and lose all momentum causing a ball up.

Higgins for Eagleton.

GVGjr
17-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Any chance of Skipper being included this week?

I suppose but who would he replace?

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Eagleton wont go..he was in our best and even on the fkn Footy Show they said he was 3rd best in the game..

I think Higgins will be back..not sure who would go out though..Eagleton had a better game than he has played in the last month so he wont be dropped

Theres a bonus playing Essendon aswell, Hille has a hand injury and will miss..all australian contention this year, so thats a bit of luck on our side..forcing Laycock to ruck most the game

bulldog
17-08-2008, 01:45 PM
in;HIGGINS SKIPPER
OUT:HILL WARD

mjp
17-08-2008, 01:59 PM
I think Higgins will replace Ward.

I dont think replacing Hill with Skipper is a good idea - we are struggling enough through the mid-field positions as it is...

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I think Higgins will replace Ward.

I dont think replacing Hill with Skipper is a good idea - we are struggling enough through the mid-field positions as it is...

I would prefer not to drop Ward at this stage but this is probably the change that could be made.
From all accounts Everitt returned to form yesterday and muust be a chance.

The Pie Man
17-08-2008, 04:42 PM
I would like..

In : Everitt, Skipper
Out: Callan, Ward

I think it will be

In: Everitt
Out: Callan

I think it's time to try Murphy back to find more of the pill and provide some run. Tim Callan only had the one game back at Willy before his promotion and looks like he needs more touch. I don't think they'll promote Higgins yet, though as mentioned, it only took one game for Callan so maybe.

I think Skipper might be worth a punt. Playing the 3 bigs probably won't happen (and despite a better than expected comeback from injury, he's likely on the way out) but seeing Skip a bit bigger physically and knowing he can take contested grabs and kick a goal makes me wonder if he's worth another try.

Williams seems a longshot to play September football, and we need Everitt in the side.

Eagleton's an interesting one - was named in our best, and he did have an ok game. Still think the pressure is on him with Higgins/West looking to come back in. The little I saw of West on tv he was noticeably hobbling - is it worth playing someone in that condition? Finals & Bendigo are two very different things (bit of Bill Lawry stating the obvious for you there)

Scraggers
17-08-2008, 07:30 PM
In: Higgins and West
Out: Eagleton and Hill

If West needs to find form and fitness, let it be in the senior squad instead of the magoos

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 07:55 PM
In: Higgins and West
Out: Eagleton and Hill

If West needs to find form and fitness, let it be in the senior squad instead of the magoos

You cant bring in two underdone players for the same game. Even West acknowledged that.
I think it will be In Higgo out Ward

1eyedog
17-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Higgins and Everitt in

Hill and Ward out

hujsh
17-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Out: Ward Hill Callan

In: Everitt Higgins Skipper

Ward isn't quite there yet. Every game he playes is a bonus to his footy education ATM. Higgins could come in for him.

Likely Lucas will be back and often one of Hille or Laycock is forward so Everitt will be needed.

If we're going to bomb it to the square might as well have Skipper there for most of the game to contest with Minno there as well. (wouldn't hurt to have Ryder in the square away from Murph either)

Mantis
17-08-2008, 10:45 PM
So with quite a few of you giving Tim Callan the arse who plays as a small defender?

BulldogBelle
17-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Likely Lucas will be back and often one of Hille or Laycock is forward so Everitt will be needed.

Lucas, Hille and Fletcher & possibly Slattery apparently will all not be playing this week because of injury. Although, they are expecting McVeigh to make his return to the side.

Happy Days
17-08-2008, 11:07 PM
In: Higgins, Everitt

Out: Ward, Hill

Surely Timmy Callan outperformed these two on Sat. night.

hujsh
17-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Lucas, Hille and Fletcher & possibly Slattery apparently will all not be playing this week because of injury. Although, they are expecting McVeigh to make his return to the side.

I thought Lucas was set to come back.

Never mind then. Leave Callan.

Rocket Science
18-08-2008, 01:57 AM
This from the Age:

"Jason Johnson will also play in the last two matches, but Scott Lucas is to be rested for the rest of the season."

That's one less headache I suppose.

The Pie Man
18-08-2008, 09:11 AM
So with quite a few of you giving Tim Callan the arse who plays as a small defender?

Morris or Gilbee - Josh Hill had 20 touches, I wouldn't drop him

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Josh Hill had 20 touches, I wouldn't drop him

Mainly in junk time in the last. Look for his missed tackles and failure to chase throughout the game.

Not sure who was on Dalziel? but who ever it was needs to be questioned.

Without Williams, Morris is most likely to play on a tall. One small defender in Gilbee isn't enough.

Bulldog4life
18-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Mainly in junk time in the last. Look for his missed tackles and failure to chase throughout the game.

Without Williams, Morris is most likely to play on a tall. One small defender in Gilbee isn't enough.

I read in the newspaper that it was Griffin. Not sure if that is correct though as I didn't see the game.

BulldogBelle
18-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Could Higgins play back? Did he play back for Williamstown?

hujsh
18-08-2008, 04:38 PM

Hargrave is also there.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Mainly in junk time in the last. Look for his missed tackles and failure to chase throughout the game. Not sure who was on Dalziel? but who ever it was needs to be questioned.

One missed tackle was a disgraceful effort. Simply put out his arm an allowed the Brisbane bloke to brush it aside.

On the plus side he can take a catch overhead - not many others can.

The Pie Man
18-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Hargrave is also there.

And I hope Everitt gets promoted - Morris can then play small (or at least type)

I've got a feeling Higgins will be injected into this Friday night's action.

Mantis
18-08-2008, 05:48 PM

He certainly isn't alone in this category.

Our forwards besides Harbrow don't chase or tackle on a consistent basis.

Our midfielder's are probably worse.

I suppose Hill is just following the example set by the experienced player's.

The Underdog
18-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think Griff's form is just appalling at the moment? He's still getting touches but his disposal isn't hurting the opposition and he doesn't get the clearances he was getting earlier in the year. I don't know whether his family situation is affecting him but he hasn't added much to the team recently. He has all the ability in the world but his confidence seems to be right down. He's an important member of our team so I don't think he'll get dropped but on form I wouldn't think he'd be far off it.

GVGjr
18-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Could Higgins play back? Did he play back for Williamstown?

Right at this moment I can't see him playing as a defender. He has played as a forward and in the midfield for Williamstown.

aker39
18-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Re Griffin ^^^^^

He needs to stop taking on players at every opportunity. The opposition are aware that he does it and are ready and waiting for him to do it.

I actually think it is poor coaching that he hasn't been told to take this out of his game, and make it more the element of surprise. If the coaches have instructed him to do this, than he is clearly not listening.

GVGjr
18-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Re Griffin ^^^^^

He needs to stop taking on players at every opportunity. The opposition are aware that he does it and are ready and waiting for him to do it.

I actually think it is poor coaching that he hasn't been told to take this out of his game, and make it more the element of surprise. If the coaches have instructed him to do this, than he is clearly not listening.

Griffen disposal isn't as good as last year either. As a half back flanker where he had more time he was far more effective and damaging than he has been in the midfield. He will be a terrific midfielder for us soon but he isn't quite there yet.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 06:54 PM
In regard to Hill its not just missed tackles, its standing next to a bloke and the second later that player is away with the ball.

GVGjr
18-08-2008, 07:01 PM
In regard to Hill its not just missed tackles, its standing next to a bloke and the second later that player is away with the ball.
I think they need to keep him in the side. He has been in and out of the side over the last month and they need to give him a chance.

Sedat
18-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I didn't like the panicky handball over his head to no-one in particular as he was about to get tackled either. I'm not expecting him to become Glenn Archer but he needs to handle the expectation of physical contact much better if he is to grow and develop as an AFL quality footballer. There's a time for flash and there's a time to put your body on the line for the team. That's Hill's next challenge.

strebla
18-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I think they need to keep him in the side. He has been in and out of the side over the last month and they need to give him a chance.

Agree 100 per cent as i have said in another thread we need to say this is your job go we believe you can do it do you?
I really believe if he is challenged he will fire looking forward to seeing him in September

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I didn't like the panicky handball over his head to no-one in particular as he was about to get tackled either. I'm not expecting him to become Glenn Archer but he needs to handle the expectation of physical contact much better if he is to grow and develop as an AFL quality footballer. There's a time for flash and there's a time to put your body on the line for the team. That's Hill's next challenge.

Agreed, very well summed up.

He doesn't have to be completely fearless in an Archer type mould as you mentioned, but he DOES need to balance out his game by sticking his head over the football and taking the physical contact when it's coming. At the moment, he avoids contact at all costs ala that handball over his head. If he can improve on this side of his game & his defensive play, then the sky's the limit for Hill. If however he's happy to plod along and gun only for the easy/uncontested ball, he's not going to be much.

With the rate of improvement in two years though, I'm sure Hill will continue on his way.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Just watching On The Couch...

Gerrard Healy (him or Walls) mentioned Higgins and West both will play for Williamstown this week..

I know Scotty came out n said he needs another week down there

But Higgins? guess he'll come back for Adelaide then..

GVGjr
18-08-2008, 10:34 PM

Gerrard Healy (him or Walls) mentioned Higgins and West both will play for Williamstown this week..

I think they have to roll the dice with Higgins so it won't be a surprise to me if he is selected.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 12:16 AM
And I hope Everitt gets promoted - Morris can then play small (or at least type).

Everitt didnt do anything in his first game back at Willi a couple of weeks ago and I didnt hear anything great last week .... although they didn't have any opposition as Bendigo only scored 1 goal for the game.

Players need to be knocking the door down in the seceonds and unfortunately no-one is at the moment.

Mantis
19-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Everitt didnt do anything in his first game back at Willi a couple of weeks ago and I didnt hear anything great last week .... although they didn't have any opposition as Bendigo only scored 1 goal for the game.

Players need to be knocking the door down in the seceonds and unfortunately no-one is at the moment.

Why? It's not like the senior team is flying at the moment.

Scraggers
19-08-2008, 10:37 AM
You cant bring in two underdone players for the same game. Even West acknowledged that.
I think it will be In Higgo out Ward

Why not?

Our current plan of slowly bringing back players isn't working ... it will be inspiring to see West out on the field playing for the Dogs this week; may even be the kick in the pants we need ...

As for Higgins, he has been ready for weeks, but we have persisted with out of form players ... time for change

The Coon Dog
19-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Our current plan of slowly bringing back players isn't working ... it will be inspiring to see West out on the field playing for the Dogs this week; may even be the kick in the pants we need ...

Scraggers, not sure if you caught any of the highlights on 'On The Couch' last night. It showed footage of Westy in action. He hobbled at best. The last thing he needs is to play this week on a hard surface like Telstra Dome where every step he takes will reverberate & in all likliehood set him back.

ledge
19-08-2008, 11:10 AM
West i dont think will play again this year, its all a front, couldnt possibly take him seriously as playing.
He looked like an old man with that hobble, couldnt possibly play, his opponent would take every opportunity to knock his knee and would run rings around him.
Like to see Higgins back, hopefully he doesnt know where that hole is that all our other forwards hide in.

soupman
19-08-2008, 11:15 AM
IN: Skipper
Out: Ward

I would also consider resting Hahn, as he has been a bit out of sorts lately, and if we did this I would look at briging Higgins in.

I feel Skipper deserves a chance, and could really add something to the side. As shown late last year he can take a contested mark, he can hold his own in the ruck, he can cover the ground alright, he can kick an imporant goal and he gives us a target up forward, allowing Minson to play in the ruck more. This also means that Essendon will hve to find another match up for him, and may just emphasise the imapct of Fletchers injury.

G-Mo77
19-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Or not at all? Am I the only one who would find it hard to get him into this side?

Mantis
19-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Or not at all? Am I the only one who would find it hard to get him into this side?

No your not. We already have quite a few 'like' player's in the team so I can't see him playing unless he replaces one of them.

aker39
19-08-2008, 11:53 AM

I also agree with you

bornadog
19-08-2008, 12:17 PM
In: Higgins, Skipper

Out: Ward - 6 disposals on Saturday
Murphy - Give him a rest and freshen him up.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 12:25 PM
I think if they give him a run in the side he I'll stay in there..unless of course he is looking very unfit

ledge
19-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I think if they give him a run in the side he I'll stay in there..unless of course he is looking very unfit

Who?
Higgins? West? Skipper?

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Sorry forgot to quote post haha

Im talking Shauny Higgins..

Bringing him back when hes unfit would be a bad idea but i watched him on the weekend and he moved very freely..kicked a couple of nice goals 2

May aswell give him a run this year, hes in the best 22 for sure. (Even best 10 according to Darcy)

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 02:32 PM
In: Higgins
Out: Ray

Master Ray gets an A for Effort, but right now he is out of his depth in the senior midfield. He even looks sluggish at times. Give me someone of more modest talents, but who goes in with purpose and makes the right decisions first time. If his role is to be an outside receiver, well, we already have an Eagleton, who does that job adequately and can kick goals.

Higgins will one day be a great for us (a new Choco? I wish) once he stops breaking arms etc. Bring him in as soon as possible before the finals.

Leave Hill in and tell him to keep going for the intercepts and the marks, just lay a few more tackles. Leave Aye Aye Skipper out for another week to see if he truly wants it.

The Coon Dog
19-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Out: Ray

If his role is to be an outside receiver, well, we already have an Eagleton, who does that job adequately and can kick goals.

Did you watch the game Saturday night?

His role was to negate the influence on Travis Johnstone, which he did effectively, so much so that a nember of posters on here gave him votes!

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Sorry - are alternative opinions anathema to the great one? I watched the game, and on Saturday evening.

Ray was run down a few times while he dithered, his handballs to players running past rarely seemed to hit the target, and his kicking is never creative -- sideway, backwards most of the time, always slowing the play up.

I don't think negating Travis Johnstone will go down as any tagger's finest achievement, but we can disagree about that.

bornadog
19-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Leave Hill in and tell him to keep going for the intercepts and the marks, just lay a few more tackles. Leave Aye Aye Skipper out for another week to see if he truly wants it.

This week against Essendon, who are currently undermanned, is a good time to test a few blokes like Skipper. Against Adelaide, we have to start thinking about the best 22 that will take us through the finals.

If Williams is ready, I would bring him straight in. Funny thing is, if he played in the Sydney game, he may not have done is thigh, who knows?

Sockeye Salmon
19-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Sorry - are alternative opinions anathema to the great one? I watched the game, and on Saturday evening.

Ray was run down a few times while he dithered, his handballs to players running past rarely seemed to hit the target, and his kicking is never creative -- sideway, backwards most of the time, always slowing the play up.

I don't think negating Travis Johnstone will go down as any tagger's finest achievement, but we can disagree about that.

You're allowed opinions, certainly, but when they're stupid you have to expect to get some grief.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Was that really called for?

No it was deliberately provocative, as per your imperious implication that I was commenting from ignorance.

I watched the game (from the other side of the world, but ... irrelevant), gave my opinion in a fairly considered way, and received your haughty rejoinder. Anyway, enough on this.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 03:30 PM
You're allowed opinions, certainly, but when they're stupid you have to expect to get some grief.

Oh dear. I submit. I now accept the party line on the question of Farren Ray's performance on Saturday night. He was good. I will check the votes before commenting again. ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2008, 03:52 PM

His actual opinion on Ray was basically spot on. Ray turned the ball over constantly, got caught, went backwards & slowed the play up. He might have restricted Johnstone, but he did nothing else.

Mantis
19-08-2008, 03:57 PM

He has a few mates in the midfield who do this week in/ week out and their place in the side never get's questioned + their negating roles are typically ineffective.

hujsh
19-08-2008, 04:57 PM

While Johnstone is not hard to tag if he's not tagged he can slice you up.

Ray performed the needed job and I'm sure the coaching staff would recognize that.

Sockeye Salmon
19-08-2008, 10:06 PM
His actual opinion on Ray was basically spot on. Ray turned the ball over constantly, got caught, went backwards & slowed the play up. He might have restricted Johnstone, but he did nothing else.

According to the Herald Sun stats, Ray had one clanger. Considering frees against are counted as clangers, when he played on right at the end and got caught was actually the only clanger he made for the match - and he made it trying to move the ball on when we were behind with minutes to play.

I'm dealing in reality, not biased perceptions.

Ray now = Gia earlier this year, slagged off regardless of what he does on the ground.

bornadog
20-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Ray now = Gia earlier this year, slagged off regardless of what he does on the ground.

Supporters love to have a bunny to blame for all defeats and they seem to pick on that one person all the time.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2008, 01:13 AM
According to the Herald Sun stats, Ray had one clanger. Considering frees against are counted as clangers, when he played on right at the end and got caught was actually the only clanger he made for the match - and he made it trying to move the ball on when we were behind with minutes to play.

I'm dealing in reality, not biased perceptions.

Gia's had a pretty good year IMO - he plays the odd bad one, but for the most part he's a consistent contributor. I thought he had an ordinary year in '07, but his '05, '06 & '08 seasons have been very good.

If that's the case then they don't count missed targets because Ray often misses them by 15m. Either too short, too wide or too long. His kicks regularly create contests when they shouldn't have to.

Supporters love to have a bunny to blame for all defeats and they seem to pick on that one person all the time.

I'm not blaming him for defeat; there's plenty of others too, but I'm fed up of sticking behind Ray protesting how he's a quality player. The reality is, Ray hasn't done enough to date. His improvement has been pretty slow - he still lacks awareness, holds onto the ball too long and hasn't improved his skills.

He's not the worst player on our list by far, and he's still in our 22, but he's a frustrating player. I can't understand how a few on here are so very defensive and in some cases oblivious to some of his flaws.

The Pie Man
20-08-2008, 06:47 AM

Guilty as charged! Didn't think Ray was too bad on Saturday though - I thought Hill was ok too (which I think will be met with a chorus of disagreement)

My bunny earlier this year was Cam Wight, though his last game against Melbourne wasn't bad either, and with Williams/Everitt either injured/out of form it's been a shame not to see him (hope the jaw improves quick)

If I was to look for a new Kingsley Hunter/Trent Bartlett/Sam Power type, I'd probably pick on Benji (Nathan Eagleton) who also funnily enough returned to some form against Brisbane.

This really should be an easy win regardless of any changes. Good week to have a Friday game, the wait for a win won't be long

What did everyone think of Tim Callan's game? Saw him beaten in the contest a few times that made me think he might be a candidate for Willy

1eyedog
20-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Guilty as charged! Didn't think Ray was too bad on Saturday though - I thought Hill was ok too (which I think will be met with a chorus of disagreement)

My bunny earlier this year was Cam Wight, though his last game against Melbourne wasn't bad either, and with Williams/Everitt either injured/out of form it's been a shame not to see him (hope the jaw improves quick)

If I was to look for a new Kingsley Hunter/Trent Bartlett/Sam Power type, I'd probably pick on Benji (Nathan Eagleton) who also funnily enough returned to some form against Brisbane.

This really should be an easy win regardless of any changes. Good week to have a Friday game, the wait for a win won't be long

What did everyone think of Tim Callan's game? Saw him beaten in the contest a few times that made me think he might be a candidate for Willy

The guy has just come back from a torn hamstring, over two months out of the game how are we ever going to get match fitness and confidence back into a bloke who most of us consider to be included in our current 22 for his hardness when we keep sending them back and forth to Willy? I'm tired of it.

The Pie Man
20-08-2008, 09:55 AM
The guy has just come back from a torn hamstring, over two months out of the game how are we ever going to get match fitness and confidence back into a bloke who most of us consider to be included in our current 22 for his hardness when we keep sending them back and forth to Willy? I'm tired of it.

Depending on circumstances, the VFL can be just the place to generate said confidence, though not sure it worked for Everitt vs Port Melbourne. Just throwing it out there, I think he and Cal Ward are vulnerable this week.

LostDoggy
20-08-2008, 11:11 AM
No way Callan will be dropped. He was better than a lot of others.
Others beaten at the contest as well not questioned.

Mantis
20-08-2008, 11:31 AM
No way Callan will be dropped. He was better than a lot of others.
Others beaten at the contest as well not questioned.

Agree that Tim Callan must play.

But there have been some strange decisions made by the the selection committee over the past few week's so who knows.

bornadog
20-08-2008, 01:57 PM
there have been some strange decisions made by the the selection committee over the past few week's so who knows.

all part of the master plan for the finals:D

LostDoggy
20-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Callan was rushed back clearly unfit..

He will get his groove back soon enough, finals time.....