PDA

View Full Version : The trading of McMahon and Power

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 08:31 PM
I know these two guys couldnt really cement a spot in our side although McMahon gave it a damn good shake but as we near the end of the season and both of them seem to have kicked on at their new clubs do you still think we did the right thing trading them ?
I think we got pick 48 for Power and we know that we got 19 for McMahon and used it on Ward.
At the end of the trade and draft period we got the hard at it Tim Callan who isnt vastly experienced and Ward for the experienced pair of McMahon and Power. I know in another trade we landed Hudson but with the cupboard looking bare at the moment I wonder if we are missing these two players?
A number of North supporters think Power has been a great addition to them.

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I know these two guys couldnt really cement a spot in our side although McMahon gave it a damn good shake but as we near the end of the season and both of them seem to have kicked on at their new clubs do you still think we did the right thing trading them ?
I think we got pick 48 for Power and we know that we got 19 for McMahon and used it on Ward.
At the end of the trade and draft period we got the hard at it Tim Callan who isnt vastly experienced and Ward for the experienced pair of McMahon and Power. I know in another trade we landed Hudson but with the cupboard looking bare at the moment I wonder if we are missing these two players?
A number of North supporters think Power has been a great addition to them.

I'm not the slight bit concerned that they have gone. Both players look great when the team is up and running but when you need someone to be hard at it and show some defensive skills they are both found wanting. There's no way that Power or McMahon would be the difference for us at this present point in time.

This post represents the authors opinion only and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2008, 09:28 PM
It was the right decision, we certainly wouldn't be having any regrets, both were given plenty of opportunity but couldn't fully grab them for whatever reasons. McMahon hasn't had a good season IMO, played a couple of OK games but aside from that, I think most Richmond supporters would agree we have got the better deal from that one. As for Power, he's actually done pretty well for himself, he's had quite a good season at NM and it's a credit to him, but moving him on was always in the best interests for our club.

1eyedog
17-08-2008, 09:30 PM
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hujsh
17-08-2008, 10:36 PM
The McMahon deal was better for us. Power one wasn't so great but as said he needed to move on.

Though watching McMahon kick a goal on 50 today made me miss him a bit. Made me remember the good times...(cue music and begin montage)

strebla
18-08-2008, 12:53 AM
i thought than jordy went at the right time and power one year too late
I am glad however that he has found his spot and wish sam well (will not say what i think of jordy at the moment )

bulldogtragic
18-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Happy with the Jordy trade. Very.

As President of the Sam Power fan club, i was disappointed. But it was best for him to move on.

Dancin' Douggy
18-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Power would not have got a game for us this year. Griffen, Gilbee, Hargreave and Everitt (long term) are all better options for us as running defenders than Jordy.
They have both filled holes for their new clubs.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Power would not have got a game for us this year.
:rolleyes:
Yes we are playing so well right now that an experienced hbfer would not be in the side.

It was right move by Power and the club did the right thing by him.

Mantis
18-08-2008, 09:28 AM
:rolleyes:
Yes we are playing so well right now that an experienced hbfer would not be in the side.

It was right move by Power and the club did the right thing by him.

He would be playing ahead of Hargrave or Gilbee?

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 09:31 AM
He would be playing ahead of Hargrave or Gilbee?

No need to be in front of them, and he didn't necessarily play as a HBF either.
People are looking at Stack, Ried and O'Keefe to get promoted when they aren't ready.
Addison,Williams, Wight and Callan injuries meant he would have easily got a chance.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Addison,Williams, Wight and Callan injuries meant he would have easily got a chance.

Neither Wight nor Callan (in particular) are up to AFL standard. Power would have been well before them.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Neither Wight nor Callan (in particular) are up to AFL standard. Power would have been well before them.

Well Eade begs to differ on Callan at the very least.

His man Hooper got about 5 kicks, unfortunately 3 were goals. Given the ease some of the Brisbane midfield were deleivering it, he was far from the worst.

Mantis
18-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Well Eade begs to differ on Callan at the very least.

His man Hooper got about 5 kicks, unfortunately 3 were goals. Given the easy some of the Brisbane midfield were deleivering it, he was far from the worst.

He got 4.

Callan did and does his job.

The problem's don't lie with him, but as always we tend to target the easy option.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 10:46 AM
He got 4.

The problem's don't lie with him, but as always we tend to target the easy option.

Thanks

bulldogtragic
18-08-2008, 11:06 AM
When was the last time we didn't have a scapegoat??

Before Callan/Eagle, it was Power. Before him K-Mac. Before him Harrison. Who was before Harro?

And so on and so on.

Seriously, Callan's man got four kicks and Eagle had 17 decent touches in the first half and kicked a great long goal. Listen to some bulldogs people and we would have won if not for these players.

Mantis
18-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Like Eagleton & Gia! :D (Sorry Mantis, couldn't help myself there).

I don't think they are easy target's they just lend themselves to being picked on.

Eagleton showed on Saturday night just why he is such a maligned player. He actually played ok, he dogged it a few times in the first qtr ( liked the text mesasage :D), but after that he was ok. His consistency is the problem, always has been. He has been ordinary for a month, but has probably saved his bacon once again with a useful performance, but in my opinion he will let us down when we need him the most.

Sedat
18-08-2008, 12:15 PM
McMahon and Power were stagnating at our club and both still had some level currency in the market. In McMahon's case, he also put the club over a barrell, with Richmond having first pick in the PSD. It was prudent list management to move them on and replace them with Hudson and Callan on our list (whilst at the same time actually moving up the draft order in each round). We had neither a quality ruckman nor a close-checking courageous small defender on our list, so our list has a much more even spread of attributes. No surprise that our contested ball winning ability in 2008 has been light years ahead of last year with the introduction of Hudson and (to a lesser extent) Callan.

The loss of McMahon and Power has also meant Addison has been given the opportunity to make enormous progress this season, Josh Hill also. These guys would have remained behind the pecking order had we not bitten the bullet with McMahon and Power. The impact of getting 15-20 significant AFL games into Addison and Hill can only benefit the club in the long-term. Factor in the issue of McMahon and Power more than likely being on good level mid-range salaries, we have managed to achieve salary cap relief as a result.

Oh, and we were bottom 4 last year with McMahon and Power on the list, and we are now top 4. Both Richmond and North have achieved some short-term benefits from adding mature AFL players to their list: they would not, and should not, have expected anything less. We picked up Ward with the McMahon trade and Boumann with the Power trade. Ward has 7 years on McMahon to make an impact and has already made an impact despite being just about the youngest player in the entire AFL. Boumann is a speculative pick, but has the physical attributes to make a real go of it as a KPP, something we are in far more desperate need of than another tidy back-flanker.

You have to give something to get something.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2008, 12:27 PM
^^^^ Sedat for PM. Brilliant post.

Sedat
18-08-2008, 01:01 PM
^^^^ Sedat for PM. Brilliant post.
I will preface what I said previously by raising a concern that we have undoubtedly lost more running power than we had originally anticipated as a result of trading these two. I am hoping that the likes of Hill, Stack and other quick runners currently on our list can raise their games to a reach a consistent AFL standard, as we will need to add some more genuine pace to the lines at some point in the near future. I don't think we are a slow team by any stretch, but we definitely aren't as quick across the ground as the media make us out to be.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 02:27 PM
He got 4.

You can't be serious. Has been clearly beaten in every game back. He is like a rabbit in front of headlights when the ball is in the air and loses his footing far too often.

Clearly not up to the standard. Its good being hard at it but you need a few more boxes ticked than that - like playing close, keeping your feet, disposing of the ball to a team-mate, not being third man up when your his size while your opponent stays down for the crumbs etc etc.

I said nothing towards blaming him for the loss - he had a few mates. I just want him to beat his man one day. Playing him in front of Everitt is ridiculous.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 02:53 PM
When Callan Ward puts his body on the line, (which usually happens in most games he plays) I always compare his attack on the ball to McMahons.

Trade was a no-brainer imo. Eade said at the time of the draft that it would be before the end of the 08 season that we would see the benefits of the trade. I think most of us are satisfied with what we've seen from him.

Ward has a huge upside and after a couple of preseasons in the gym building his strength & improving his engine, he will be an intergral part of our midfield.

Mantis
18-08-2008, 03:08 PM
You can't be serious. Has been clearly beaten in every game back. He is like a rabbit in front of headlights when the ball is in the air and loses his footing far too often.

Clearly not up to the standard. Its good being hard at it but you need a few more boxes ticked than that - like playing close, keeping your feet, disposing of the ball to a team-mate, not being third man up when your his size while your opponent stays down for the crumbs etc etc.

I said nothing towards blaming him for the loss - he had a few mates. I just want him to beat his man one day. Playing him in front of Everitt is ridiculous.

He got outmarked in one contest on Saturday, hardly rabbit in the headlights stuff.

It is obvious to all that Callan is a bit underdone, but had to be rushed back after a long lay off due to the untimely injury to Addison. I thought that his effort's on Saturday night were much better than against North and would look for him to grow in confidence in the lead up to the finals.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 03:25 PM
He got outmarked in one contest on Saturday, hardly rabbit in the headlights stuff.
It is obvious to all that Callan is a bit underdone, but had to be rushed back after a long lay off due to the untimely injury to Addison. I thought that his effort's on Saturday night were much better than against North and would look for him to grow in confidence in the lead up to the finals.

That was Saturday night. Watch a replay of earlier games for more instances.

There is no need for him to be there at all if they return Everitt in his place.

westdog54
18-08-2008, 03:28 PM
With the exception of EJ, my thoughts have pretty much been summed up already.

We did brilliantly out of the McMahon trade and he looks comfortable at Richmond.

Power has found a role and Boumann is showing some promise in his early development.

Win-Win-Win-Win.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2008, 04:27 PM
That was Saturday night. Watch a replay of earlier games for more instances.

There is no need for him to be there at all if they return Everitt in his place.

I think you're being a little harsh on Callan. He generally plays close to his opponent and often is the third man up, helping his other defenders out. This is exactly what we need more of - why do you think Geelong's defense is so tight? They always create 2-on-1's or 3-on-2's. Sometimes it doesn't work, but for the most part, it does - regardless of how tall they are. Callan does this pretty well. He's hard at it which helps and he's only going tog et better over the next two weeks leading into finals.

The only criticism I have of Callan is that he doesn't keep his feet - he does go to ground too often/easily, but aside from that, he's OK down there.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I think you're being a little harsh on Callan. He generally plays close to his opponent and often is the third man up, helping his other defenders out. This is exactly what we need more of - why do you think Geelong's defense is so tight? They always create 2-on-1's or 3-on-2's. Sometimes it doesn't work, but for the most part, it does - regardless of how tall they are. Callan does this pretty well. He's hard at it which helps and he's only going tog et better over the next two weeks leading into finals.

The only criticism I have of Callan is that he doesn't keep his feet - he does go to ground too often/easily, but aside from that, he's OK down there.

And what do you think his opponent is doing while he is going up with the big blokes?"

Waiting down for the crumbs and kicking goals as a result. Take a look at a replay of the North game

Just to set the record straight - I have no problem with getting rid of Mc Mahon and Power. Who we used the pick on is another matter entirely.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 06:40 PM
And what do you think his opponent is doing while he is going up with the big blokes?"

Waiting down for the crumbs and kicking goals as a result. Take a look at a replay of the North game
You need to read this thread or watch the Brisbane game a bit better. His direct opponent got 4 kicks. At least 1 or 2 of the 3 goals Hooper kicked were from turnovers up field. What was Callan suppose to do?

1eyedog
18-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Just to set the record straight - I have no problem with getting rid of Mc Mahon and Power. Who we used the pick on is another matter entirely.

Callan appears to fly when he is able and his direct opponent is out of position. He is usually pretty good with his decision making in this regard. I agree he is a valuable asset as the 3rd man up and he does it to some effect., My problem with Callan is when he lands he loses his feet too often and his opponent then has an opportunity to make position and hurt him going forward.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Callan took the first couple of games this year to get used to the speed and standard of Seniors and then IMO he really warmed to his role. Obviously he was then injured but I'm confident he'll regain his confidence and touch. He's not in the team to use silky skills, he's there to create a hard contest for his opponent. I think he did a great job on Hooper despite the goals that he kicked.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 12:12 AM
When was the last time we didn't have a scapegoat??

Before Callan/Eagle, it was Power. Before him K-Mac. Before him Harrison. Who was before Harro?

And so on and so on.

Farren Ray is favourite too.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 09:46 AM
You need to read this thread or watch the Brisbane game a bit better. His direct opponent got 4 kicks. At least 1 or 2 of the 3 goals Hooper kicked were from turnovers up field. What was Callan suppose to do?

I did indeed watch the game and noted Callan being led to the ball for each of the 3 goals.

How the ball got to be in their forward line is entirely irrelevant - Callan, as usual was beaten to the ball just as he was against North.

When 90% of Brisbane attacks are directed through Brown or Bradshaw, other forwards are not going to score big numbers of disposals.

Taking joy out of restricting Hooper to 4 kicks is crap especially when they result in 3 goals and as Matthews commented after the game was probably the difference.

Mantis
19-08-2008, 09:53 AM
I did indeed watch the game and noted Callan being led to the ball for each of the 3 goals.

How the ball got to be in their forward line is entirely irrelevant - Callan, as usual was beaten to the ball just as he was against North.

When 90% of Brisbane attacks are directed through Brown or Bradshaw, other forwards are not going to score big numbers of disposals.

Taking joy out of restricting Hooper to 4 kicks is crap especially when they result in 3 goals and as Matthews commented after the game was probably the difference.

I think your being extremely harsh on Callan.

Brian Lake has made a career out of being led to the ball playing at FB, but it seem's that it's just part of his make-up so it's allowed.

aker39
19-08-2008, 10:14 AM
If I remember correctly, people were calling for Callans head after the 1st couple of rounds, but he then improved and became one of our best backmen, only to get an injury and miss quite a few weeks of football.

Now after a couple of games back, he again is being targetted. Give the bloke a chance and a few weeks to work his way back in to form.

G-Mo77
19-08-2008, 11:31 AM
I've got nothing but praise for Tim Callan this year. I love the way he goes about it out on the field. When he an Addison were in the side together early on in the season we were a lot better. It's just sad that some people just have a certain player in their sites and pay out on them every chance they get. If we focussed on every player during a game I'm sure we could find heaps of errors but because Callan isn't as "sexy" he's an easy target.

Back to the topic. The trades have worked out great for all parties involved. Power and McMahon have found roles in their team and have prospered from that and good luck to them. In return we got a tall prospect who is coming along OK towards the end of the year by all reports and Ward who I think will be a much, much better player than McMahon will ever be. Keeping both of these players another year or 2 would have devalued them and also held back other players coming through the ranks. I really hope there is no one out there seriosuly doubting these trades.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Yes, well argued, indeed, Sedat. I must admit I was more interested in Power's comment after the game at the weekend that he felt more comfortable at North, that everyone was equal, and that the coach had faith in him to do the job (which he seemed to be implying was not the case at the Dogs). And when I see Aker have a shot for goal, and Johnno waving his arms at him because he did not pass to him in a better position, I begin to wonder if a heirachy still exists at our club. Are we really working as hard for each other as a team, like North and Geelong, or instinctively are we playing more as individuals?

Mofra
19-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Are we really working as hard for each other as a team, like North and Geelong, or instinctively are we playing more as individuals?
Fair point, because the answer would depend on which end of the 2008 season you are talking about. We've stopped doing the little sacrificial acts that got us to 13/1/1.