PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Trip

aker39
18-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Had a great 10 days on the Gold Coast (apart from 1 night of course).

Stayed at the Chevron Renaissance - http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhotels/fichehotel/gb/mer/6545/fiche_hotel.shtml

The weather was fantastic, hardly a cloud in the sky on any of the days. It was about 20 degrees each day. The locals were saying how cold it was, but compared to the crap weather we've been getting in Melbourne, it was bliss.

Went to watch the NRL game between Gold Coast Titians and Newcastle Knights at Skilled Park at Robina. It was a cold Monday night and they got 17,000 people to their 27,000 seat stadium. Not bad considering the crowds they get at most NRL games. I actually think the AFL may have missed the boat on the Gold Coast. There were a lot of young families at the game, the new A-League team comes in next year (will play at this stadium) and I can't see the Qld government funding a new ground, when they have just built this new stadium. And it was a pretty impressive stadium, very close to the action. It will be perefect for the A-League (can't wait for the new Melbourne stadium to open)

The drive to Brisbane from the Gold Coast was very easy. Took just under the hour, and thanks to a poster on the Brisbane board on BF, I was given very good directions for where to park. It also made getting back to the Gold Coast very easy.

Had a drink at the Chalk hotel before the game, with all of the staff wearing Brisbane shirts. I thought they're really getting behind the team. Then when I got to the ground, I saw a sign saying go to the Chalk Hotel after the game, the official Lions social club. No wonder they were all wearing Brisbane gear.

The GABBA is a good ground, with modern facilities, but my big criticism is the seating. There is no elevation. I struggled to see over the people in front of me, let alone my 6 year old son, who had to keep standing up to see. We were seated with a big bunch of Bulldog supporters, on the 50m line, but had 1 very big mouthed (and drunk) Lions supporter in amongst us. He was lucky not to get hit, as there was some very pissed off bulldog supporters. Bornadog was sitting a bit closer to him, but he restrained himself.

I think the dogs actually blew it in the 1st quarter, where we had so many chances coming inside 50, where we had players loose, and we missed targets, or missed easy shots. The players seem to be confused as to when they should do the team thing, or when they should back themselves and go for goal. Geelong seem to have this perfected (like most things they are doing)

I'm not going to single out players, but the one player that seemed to cop most criticism from supporters on the night, was Farren Ray. His decision making left a lot to be desired was the general theme.

I would recommend anyone considering going to the Gold Coast and then attending a game at the GABBA. Only thing is, don't have an early morning flight the next day, as we did.

And finally, I know Tiger cop a bit a flak, but we could not fault them on either of our flights. There was a number of people turning up late, or with excess luggage, complaining. It's pretty simple, if you want cheap fares, stick to their rules.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Good stuff Aker,

I didnt get up there this year but looking forward to Adelaide next week!

Templeton31
18-08-2008, 04:02 PM
nice report Aker and nice trip!

aker39
19-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Good stuff Aker,

I didnt get up there this year but looking forward to Adelaide next week!

I'll see you in Adelaide

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Cool..I think I have an early saturday night flight.. Coming back sun late arvo with jetstar..$120 return for both me and my old man

Have u got tix yet? I'm getting them tomorrow off the adel bass to ticketing site

aker39
19-08-2008, 10:17 AM
I hope you don't have an early Saturday night flight, as the game starts at 3.40pm.

We have a 10.00am flight Saturday morning, and am coming back Sunday on a 3.30pm flight, both with Tiger.

I booked my tickets through the Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 10:22 AM
haha yer I meant sat morn flight via Avalon (which is y they were cheap as)

I was gunna go thru the doggies but my dad is a typical feral adel supporter so I didn't wanna embarass dog fans

bornadog
19-08-2008, 11:56 AM
. We were seated with a big bunch of Bulldog supporters, on the 50m line, but had 1 very big mouthed (and drunk) Lions supporter in amongst us. He was lucky not to get hit, as there was some very pissed off bulldog supporters. Bornadog was sitting a bit closer to him, but he restrained himself.

I went up for the weekend with my wife , leaving Saturday morning and returning Monday afternoon. I had a great weekend except for the result and dragged my wife along to the game. Caught up with Aker39 at half time, which was great to catch up in a different state. The loud mouth that Aker39 refers to was a real idiot and kept getting worse as the night went on. I was sitting next to one of the most passionate female supporters ever, and I had a headache after the match. She yelled and screamed the whole time we were at the ground, including half time. At half time, she kept yelling come on dogs, come on dogs, you can do it dogs, keep it up dogs, so you can imagine her during the game!!!. There was also a bunch of women behind me screaming their heads off and they were rough as rough. The loud mouth Lions supporter was getting on everyones nervous and he kept standing up and we couldn't see around him. The women all turned on him and kept telling him to sit down, but he just turned around and told them where to go. In the third quarter, it just got to much and to my surprise, the husband of the woman next to me, a very gentle quiet guy, totally lost it. He stood up and was a very big man, and really got stuck it to this loud mouth and told him to stay seated or he would make him sit permanatly, and he meant it. So much so that I thought it was going to be on. By this time my wife had enough and went and told security. They said they would keep an eye on him. In the last quarter, security got sick of him and called the cops who came around and told him off and he basically did.

As Aker39 mentioned, the seats at ground level were not that good as we couldn't see across the ground very well. The crowd booed Aker every time he went near the ball, but generally the crowd was pretty friendly. The venue was easy to get to from the city, plenty of buses, and free if you show your game ticket. Food was your standard greasy, chips, etc, although, at the coffee trolley, my wife came across sushi, gourmet pies and sandwiches, after we had eaten a fourntwenty.

All in all great to go interstate and make a weekend of it...... as long as you win:(

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 12:53 PM
This loud mouth you are talking about, was he bald and have a beared? If so i was sitting near him. He was bearable i thought, better than a Tiger game when theres about 20 people like him.

I went up with my mum from the Sunshine Coast. Left at about 4 and got there at about 6.30. Mum didnt realise it was over the other side of town, if she had have known we wouldnt have gone. But it was fairly easy to find. We missed the Ann ST turnoff just before the bridge and mum was having a nervous breakdown. Anyway we finally got there, parked in the church car park, $10!! Bargin compared to the dome.

We got our seats just behind the cheer squad which was good. But the cheer squad dont do much cheering. There was about 3 people cheering.

And just over from us there was Aker. Not THE Aker, but another Aker, dressed like Aker. It was a sight to see, absolutly hilarious... untill him and his mates got kicked out by some sun effected old prick.

It was a good night apart from the result, but doesnt compare with the Melbourne stadiums.

aker39
19-08-2008, 01:07 PM
This loud mouth you are talking about, was he bald and have a beared? If so i was sitting near him. He was bearable i thought, better than a Tiger game when theres about 20 people like him.

If you were sitting where the cheer squad was, than it's not the same bloke. We were on the 50m line at the other end of the ground.

LostDoggy
20-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Booked my Adelaide tickets..

Ticket ADELAIDE vs WESTERN BULLDOGS - Sat, 30 Aug 2008 03:40 PM, AAMI STADIUM Open Terrace Bay 123 Row:G Seat(s):42-43

gohardorgohome
20-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Booked my Adelaide tickets..

Ticket ADELAIDE vs WESTERN BULLDOGS - Sat, 30 Aug 2008 03:40 PM, AAMI STADIUM Open Terrace Bay 123 Row:G Seat(s):42-43

Make sure you remember to stick a prothsetic head on your shoulder, and wear a mullett wig so you can look more like a twin headed local.....:D

BulldogBelle
21-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I went up for the weekend with my wife , leaving Saturday morning and returning Monday afternoon. I had a great weekend except for the result and dragged my wife along to the game. Caught up with Aker39 at half time, which was great to catch up in a different state. The loud mouth that Aker39 refers to was a real idiot and kept getting worse as the night went on. I was sitting next to one of the most passionate female supporters ever, and I had a headache after the match. She yelled and screamed the whole time we were at the ground, including half time. At half time, she kept yelling come on dogs, come on dogs, you can do it dogs, keep it up dogs, so you can imagine her during the game!!!. There was also a bunch of women behind me screaming their heads off and they were rough as rough. The loud mouth Lions supporter was getting on everyones nervous and he kept standing up and we couldn't see around him. The women all turned on him and kept telling him to sit down, but he just turned around and told them where to go. In the third quarter, it just got to much and to my surprise, the husband of the woman next to me, a very gentle quiet guy, totally lost it. He stood up and was a very big man, and really got stuck it to this loud mouth and told him to stay seated or he would make him sit permanatly, and he meant it. So much so that I thought it was going to be on. By this time my wife had enough and went and told security. They said they would keep an eye on him. In the last quarter, security got sick of him and called the cops who came around and told him off and he basically did.

As Aker39 mentioned, the seats at ground level were not that good as we couldn't see across the ground very well. The crowd booed Aker every time he went near the ball, but generally the crowd was pretty friendly. The venue was easy to get to from the city, plenty of buses, and free if you show your game ticket. Food was your standard greasy, chips, etc, although, at the coffee trolley, my wife came across sushi, gourmet pies and sandwiches, after we had eaten a fourntwenty.

All in all great to go interstate and make a weekend of it...... as long as you win:(

The loudmouth Lions supporter with his guensey over a white shirt... total wanker...could see and hear him 5 rows back