PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast lands Dogs' recruiter

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Mark Stevens | August 18, 2008 02:50pm

Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are sayingEmail article Share Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Post to NewsVine Post to Facebook What are these? Printer friendly Text size+- THE AFL's new Gold Coast team is poised to announced it has signed Scott Clayton as its head of recruiting Clayton, the man who build the Western Bulldogs' current list and played a key role in the Brisbane Lions' three premierships earlier this decade, will head north after this year's national draft.

After missing out on Michael Voss as coach and Brian Cook as CEO, this is seen as a major coup for the as-yet-unnamed Gold Coast franchise.

Currently the recruiting manager at the Western Bulldogs, Clayton is believed to have been lured with a long-term deal.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 04:05 PM
here is the link: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24199638-19742,00.html

strebla
18-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Mark Stevens | August 18, 2008 02:50pm

Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are sayingEmail article Share Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Post to NewsVine Post to Facebook What are these? Printer friendly Text size+- THE AFL's new Gold Coast team is poised to announced it has signed Scott Clayton as its head of recruiting Clayton, the man who build the Western Bulldogs' current list and played a key role in the Brisbane Lions' three premierships earlier this decade, will head north after this year's national draft.

After missing out on Michael Voss as coach and Brian Cook as CEO, this is seen as a major coup for the as-yet-unnamed Gold Coast franchise.

Currently the recruiting manager at the Western Bulldogs, Clayton is believed to have been lured with a long-term deal.

This is really bad news for the bulldogs is there any recuiter even close to clayton for list devopment

strebla
18-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Steven Wells at Geelong.

Sorry cd let me clarify any available recruiters

The Coon Dog
18-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Sorry cd let me clarify any available recruiters

It will be interesting to see if we elect to replace Scott Clayton from outside, or just expand the role of James Fantasia. If memory serves me correctly, didn't he at one stage head up recruiting at Adelaide?

Chris Pelchin at Hawthorn is supposed to have met with or is in the midst of meeting with Richmond about taking over the Tiger's recruiting.

strebla
18-08-2008, 04:26 PM
It will be interesting to see if we elect to replace Scott Clayton from outside, or just expand the role of James Fantasia. If memory serves me correctly, didn't he at one stage head up recruiting at Adelaide?

Chris Pelchin at Hawthorn is supposed to have met with or is in the midst of meeting with Richmond about taking over the Tiger's recruiting.

If we do expand Fantasias role would that be negating the reason we got him to the club in the first place .

hujsh
18-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Maybe someone with any eye for tall timber

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm not overly disappointed with the news - he's done pretty well for us, but I think a new direction wouldn't be so bad for the club either. Clayton has struggled with talls (Minus Lake, probably Williams) so it'll be interesting to see if our next recruiter can improve on this area. Clayton's done a very good job for us over the years though, it must be said.

Hopefully we're able to find a good replacement because our drafting in the next two years is critical - we need to strengthen all areas of the field. Defense - possibly another CHB/third tall option? If not, certainly a few smaller types. Aside from Gilbee we have no attacking options with good foot skills, and outside of Addison/Callan no small defensive types. Through the midfield we need an injection of pace. Ward, Higgins & Hill will be good players but none of them are quick by foot. A couple of speedy ball carriers would be very handy. Up forward it'd be nice to see a few younger types coming up too.

Even though Clayton has done well to date, there's obviously still a lot of crucial work to do so it's important we find a quality replacement.

G-Mo77
18-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Change needs to happen and while it is a blow should he leave it may just turn out OK for us down the track. Hopefully a very suitable replacement can be made and we don't miss a beat over this.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 04:44 PM

I will be very angry if they expand the role of Fantasia. His job and the recruiting role are big jobs in there own right and the last thing we need is to penny-pinch in this area.

That would be absolutely suicidal.

Cyberdoggie
18-08-2008, 04:54 PM
while clayton is responsible at the end of the day,
there is a network of recruiters that would report to him.

Also as i like to say there is always plenty more fish in the sea,

clayton has served us well, time for a new approach

bulldogtragic
18-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Who will Clayton sign his young Fijians too????

The Underdog
18-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I think it's probably not a bad time for either Clayton or the club to sever ties. He's been there a long time and probably needs a fresh challenge and I'm sure the AF...oh sorry GC 17 will give him endless resources that we cannot. As for us, I think his history has been an overall positive but as long as they choose wisely then I don't think it's the worst thing to happen to us.

strebla
18-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Who will Clayton sign his young Fijians too????

Interesting point but as we sent him over there i would hope we at least get first look at them. He is still staying untill this years national draft so we will certainly get first crack

bulldogtragic
18-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Interesting point but as we sent him over there i would hope we at least get first look at them. He is still staying untill this years national draft so we will certainly get first crack
I would hope so HOWEVER,

Some maybe 15 or 16. We can't draft them due to age restrictions that the Gold Coast DO NOT HAVE.

I would love some clarification on this on whether we can pick up kids from Overseas like Interstate (i.e. NSW). If not, we may have paid Clayton to build the Gold Coast list as they get first crack at them...

strebla
18-08-2008, 05:29 PM
I would hope so HOWEVER,

Some maybe 15 or 16. We can't draft them due to age restrictions that the Gold Coast DO NOT HAVE.

I would love some clarification on this on whether we can pick up kids from Overseas like Interstate (i.e. NSW). If not, we may have paid Clayton to build the Gold Coast list as they get first crack at them...

Good point that never occured to me that does throw the cat among the pigeons

GVGjr
18-08-2008, 05:31 PM
This from the club

Western Bulldogs acknowledge services of Scott Clayton

The Western Bulldogs confirms that Recruiting Manager, Scott Clayton has accepted the role of Recruiting Manager for the franchise GC17.

The Club would like to acknowledge the service Scott has given the Bulldogs over the past nine years.

In the first draft Scott Clayton attended as the Bulldogs recruiting manager in 1999, he acquired several players who now make up the core of the Bulldogs team – Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa, Mitch Hahn, Ryan Hargrave and Lindsay Gilbee.

Western Bulldogs General Manager of Football, James Fantasia said while it was disappointing to lose Clayton, the opportunity for him was too good to pass up.

“Scott has been a valuable staff member at the Bulldogs and we would like to thank him for his dedication and passion for the Club over the past nine years. He will continue to see out the year with us overseeing our 2008 Draft selections, starting with GC17 in 2009,” he said.

“We will now use Scott’s departure to evolve our recruiting process and structure. This will see the commencement of a new chapter in our recruiting strategy for the Club, said Fantasia.

Scott Clayton said the decision to move on to GC17 was not taken lightly.

“A role like this is extremely rare in football so it will be exciting for me. I have been extremely fortunate to work at the Western Bulldogs for a long period of time where I have seen the club go from strength to strength with an exciting and innovative brand of football and a real team environment,” he said.

“I know that the team we have set up will have a very successful five year period and no one wants to see them succeed more than me. I would like to personally thank Cam (Rose), David (Smorgon), Rodney (Eade) and his coaching team for their support over the past few years.”

“This Club has evolved phenomenally in the past five years due to the strength of leadership, competency and management and I would like to believe that I’ve contributed something to that, particularly in the recent off and on-field success our Club has been experiencing,” said Clayton.

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose said the Club wished Scott well in his future appointment.

GVGjr
18-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Clayton has done a terrific job for us but I'm not unhappy that he is moving on. This is a tremendous opportunity for the club to revamp their recruiting department and I think, providing we can find a good replacement, this will end up being a positive move for the club.

Very few recruiting managers should stay in the job at one club for a long stint.

strebla
18-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Clayton has done a terrific job for us but I'm not unhappy that he is moving on. This is a tremendous opportunity for the club to revamp their recruiting department and I think, providing we can find a good replacement, this will end up being a positive move for the club.

Very few recruiting managers should stay in the job at one club for a long stint.

I have often said the same about assistant coaches but only for the betterment of the club and Clayton is a class act

Go_Dogs
18-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Probably not a bad time for Clayton to move on, and it's a terrific opportunity for him to really build and help develop a list from start to finish. Pretty enviable job for most recruiters I'd say.

Going to be interesting to see where a replacement is found, and as others have mentioned, what happens with the Fiji thing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-08-2008, 05:56 PM

This is the crucial element. I really hope we are able to land someone of equal ability to Clayton. Especially given we are about to enter a difficult phase of drafting, with the new clubs to carve alot of obvious talent from the pool.
It is crucial we are able to do well in this new environment, to ensure we continue building quality depth at the club.

GVGjr
18-08-2008, 06:34 PM
The greedy so and so is going to love all those early picks ;)

The Coon Dog
18-08-2008, 06:56 PM
What recruiter wouldn't? Be like a kid in a candy shop.

DOG GOD
18-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Will be very interesting how he uses them....does he go for best available or does he BUILD a team?

hujsh
18-08-2008, 07:56 PM
I half hope he does well for his sake but half hope he fails because i don't want the Gold Coast to compete or at least i don't want them to win a premiership.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Me no likey this situation

Good for him though i guess...

Just imagine what he'll do with the GC team if he can recruit players like Lindsay Gilbee (Best if not Top 3 best kicks in AFL) and Robert Murphy (best "tall small forward")

Dang, gunna miss him.

hujsh
18-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Me no likey this situation

Good for him though i guess...

Just imagine what he'll do with the GC team if he can recruit players like Lindsay Gilbee (Best if not Top 3 best kicks in AFL) and Robert Murphy (best "tall small forward")

Dang, gunna miss him.

We can hope his tall forward strike rate is similar to his one with us.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2008, 08:36 PM
We can hope his tall forward strike rate is similar to his one with us.
Not all his fault.

He (and the dogs) did commit to Jarrod Brennan, except Brisbane picked him up one spot before us. Then Walsh was the next best.... Damn.

hujsh
18-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Not all his fault.

He (and the dogs) did commit to Jarrod Brennan, except Brisbane picked him up one spot before us. Then Walsh was the next best.... Damn.

I know. Doesn't give us a key forward though.

Did we really want Brennan as a key forward? I doubt he could play that role

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Will be very interesting how he uses them....does he go for best available or does he BUILD a team?

That's quite a good question and something he and GC17 will have to sit down and sort out. It'll be interesting from our point of view to take note of his strategy though.

At the Bulldogs, he had a good strike rate at identifying talented players - he's proven this over the nine years. However, I'm not quite sure he's as good at 'building' a team. Geelong & especially Hawthorn have done this very, very well. I wouldn't mind going after one of their recruiters.

Nevertheless, Clayton's still a good pick-up for GC17 and I'm sure he'll do well.

BulldogBelle
18-08-2008, 09:37 PM

He definitely will - good luck to Clayton with GC17.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Not all his fault.

Yeah wouldnt call Brennan a "Tall Forward" though..and not a kp forward.

In a way im happy i can say 'at least my team doesnt have 1 or 2 goal kickers' (much like Hawthorn, Carlton, Brisbane, Sydney, Essendon and so on..)

Of course it would be ideal for him to get us a monster full forward, but why be predictable..

Throughandthrough
18-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Presumably Fantasia will have a very big say in appointing the next recruiting manager. He would have more contacts then a book to school sale at a Newsagents, and would understand what is required from the role from top to bottom. Just hope he is given a big enough budget from the board to get the best person for the job.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 10:46 PM

You sly devil GVGjr you did warm me two weeks ago that Clayton was on the move and we would lose him & I was skeptical about it. Good call.

ledge
19-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Lets put this in perspective here, the next recruiting manger is in for a real hard job, he isnt going to get top ten picks i would imagine and talls arent dime a dozen.
Great to come into a club as a recruiting manager and your on the bottom , but i would think we would end up top 8 next year too.
Would you want the job as recruiting manager at Geelong your practically on a hiding to nothing with the new teams coming in.
Clayton has used his brains here, he knows he will get the pick of the crop, would be stupid not to go.
Must say something though on a previous post about Cook staying at Geelong and Demetriou denied poaching?
Is Campbell Rose on the agenda or Fantasia?? Not like we can compete with the AFL coffers or there slyness