PDA

View Full Version : Jeff White

ledge
20-08-2008, 10:37 AM
I just read an article on Jeff White leaving Melbourne.
All our talk of needing more talls thought i would throw his name up and wondered if we would look at him.
Positives: Experience, can take a good grab in the forward line, tall, maybe a good player to take Ayce under his wing and teach him.
Only 2 years left, probably get him for practically nothing and would be perfect as he retires Ayce takes over.
Negatives: Is he still good enough? does his age worry us? is he injury prone?

The Coon Dog
20-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Not interested, past it, injury prone & he's a cheat!

The Pie Man
20-08-2008, 10:56 AM

Don't reckon Wayde Skipper would let him in the door after round 21, 05

The Underdog
20-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't reckon Wayde Skipper would let him in the door after round 21, 05

Is Skipper being employed as a doorman at the club next year?

As for White, um no, pretty much for the reasons TCD expressed. I doubt there'll be too many teams interested. He's an undersized ruckman who has lost the leap that helped him do his job.

Mantis
20-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Why do you say that?.... Skipper incident.

Hate to hear what opposition supporter's say about our captain if this is the case.

The Underdog
20-08-2008, 11:37 AM

Hate to hear what opposition supporter's say about our captain if this is the case.

There's more divers in football these days than at the Olympics. White was a pioneer.

The Coon Dog
20-08-2008, 11:42 AM

More the implications of his dive, it had enormous consequences.

The Pie Man
20-08-2008, 12:25 PM
More the implications of his dive, it had enormous consequences.

I try not to think of what could've happened should we have squeezed into the 8 back then (even if Essendon had done the business the following week) We were flying...unlike now. Noone wanted to play us in the finals in 05....*&%^% White

ledge
20-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Must say we are one eyed arent we, if he was in our colours and did it would he be a cheat or hero??
Well this is all from personal views but do you think the club would look at him?

Talls are rare and with our finishing position this year i dont think we will have many options in a draft.
If we are looking for a tall i imagine it would only be for about 2 years while our others come through.

On that point is ladder position in draft taken before finals or after?
Could be a question you put to Eade in next convo Baz on what kind of players he will be looking at in next draft.
Anyway was food for thought, maybe bang him at FF at least a marking target.
Question is will Skipper be at Bulldogs next year anyway?

Im laughing here as to if Eade did grab him how many of you blokes would be applauding him if he took marks and kicked a few goals.

LostDoggy
20-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I have no memory of a skipper/white incident

So i wouldnt mind seeing a ruckman of his calibre at our club :)

bornadog
20-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Past his best, don't need another ageing 30 plus footballer joining us.

westdog54
20-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Past his best, don't need another ageing 30 plus footballer joining us.

Agreed. What role would he play? He's past it as a ruckman, which was his position, and I couldn't see him providing a viable option at either end.

Mantis
20-08-2008, 02:23 PM
I have no memory of a skipper/white incident

So i wouldnt mind seeing a ruckman of his calibre at our club :)

Of what sort of calibre is he now? White has spent much of the season in the VFL behind Jamar and Johnson who wouldn't be in the best 15 ruckman in the AFL.

G-Mo77
20-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Maybe if this was 2007 I would have some interest. Hudson filled the needs of the previous year nicely I don't think White would help at all. All he would do would take a valuable spot on the roster. I'm not saying he is finished in the AFL, he'll find a home but it won't be at with the Western Bulldogs.

ledge
20-08-2008, 02:44 PM
If we were to take him, which 90% say we wont, i would imagine he would just sit at full forward and only ruck in the forward line.

As pointed out by Mantis if he is that far down in the pecking order, is it because Melbourne are going young as White stated?

Would just like to add we arent looking at a ruckman, we are going ok with what we have, its more looking at him as a tall forward with body experience.

My thoughts on Minson are if White was in the postions Minson had got in i think White would have marked at least 50% more than him.
Did you catch the one Minson dropped last week, was a gimme, did all the body work and fumbled when it was there to be taken.
Minson gets there uses his body well but fumbles quite a bit,, White is better with hands.

Also as a 30 plus player his experience is a plus and as i stated 2 years could be just right for Ayce to come in.

LostDoggy
20-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Just read the article in the paper about White

Changed my tune muchly.

It would be like picking up another Hudson, but older and with no "great" ball use around the ground

strebla
20-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Not for me ledge i see where you are going but thinking ahead 2 years with 2 new teams the draft will be very very skinny bad timing for White as i don't think he will add enough

Rocket Science
20-08-2008, 03:05 PM
He can't get a regular game for ahem, MELBOURNE, and he publically announces he's got another two years in him?...And what exactly would we do with Hudson?

Please...No, no and no.

ledge
20-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Re: Jeff White

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He can't get a regular game for ahem, MELBOURNE, and he publically announces he's got another two years in him?...And what exactly would we do with Hudson?

As i said above...
Would just like to add we arent looking at a ruckman, we are going ok with what we have, its more looking at him as a tall forward with body experience.

Rocket Science
20-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Understood, but I still wouldn't pursue him in any capacity...He's a shadow of his former self, and Minson in the key forward role was a case of making best use of what we had in the cupboard...I wouldn't be recruiting another injury-hampered 30 year old to play a role he's never really played...Ideally, neither Minson nor White should be relied upon as your #1 key forward target.

Anyway, can't stand that infernal underbite of his either.

G-Mo77
20-08-2008, 03:47 PM

I really hope this man fills that role.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/743/2008grantjprofilemedhb4.jpg

ledge
20-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Grant, the names the same only the face is different.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2008, 04:06 PM
White's finished, probably has been for two seasons now.

Two years? No chance, he really only has one year left.

I would be surprised if a club took a punt on him, but Sydney, St. Kilda and one or two others have been known to go down this path before.

White really doesn't seem worth it, though.

G-Mo77
20-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Grant, the names the same only the face is different.

Lets hope so!

LostDoggy
20-08-2008, 05:33 PM
I really hope this man fills that role.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/743/2008grantjprofilemedhb4.jpg

What is Dr Zaius' role at the club?

LostDoggy
20-08-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm indifferent towards whether we get him or not but in fairness to White, Melbourne are rebuilding and he is missing out on games more because they want to develop younger ruckman, than his actual form.

If Melbourne were pushing for a flag this year he'd be starting every week.

hujsh
20-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Hard enough choosing who we're going to delist without deadwood taking a spot on the roster

NoName
20-08-2008, 06:21 PM
No thanks.