PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with our Supporters

bornadog
25-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I really don't understand supporters of our great team when it comes to buying a membership. As of last week the statistics show we have signed just over 20,000 members, which includes 4000 new members but excludes 9000 members from 2006 yet to sign?

Why do our members take so long to sign up? Why do we have to struggle to get the membership target right up to the cutoff day? Is it the economics of the Western Suburbs, is it the supporters who just want to wait and see ( if we are going to be any good) then buy a membership, is it the marketing department.

Frankly I am really sick of it, sick of fair weather supporters, we have to get over 30,000 members and we have to get them before the start of the season so that we have a good base for the future. Some teams are already well and truly over this mark.

What can the club do, are there suggestions? I really don't get it.

BulldogBelle
25-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Some people just have different priorities at different times, whilst you, I and plenty of others like to get their memberships earlier, some like to wait till the football actually starts and purchase their tickets in Round 1. I know quite a lot of people who do this they all love the club just as much as we do but won't purchase their Memberships till the season begins. For those that don't re-sign I can't answer for but to say perhaps there are issues eg; moved away, can't afford it etc.

bornadog
25-02-2007, 01:08 PM
For those that don't re-sign I can't answer for but to say perhaps there are issues eg; moved away, can't afford it etc.

But why our supporters, why are they slow and other clubs don't seem to struggle as much to get their past members to sign up. Our supporters are still signing up right to the last minute and I don't mean round one, I mean in May/June cutoff time.

BulldogBelle
25-02-2007, 01:19 PM
But why our supporters, why are they slow and other clubs don't seem to struggle as much to get their past members to sign up. Our supporters are still signing up right to the last minute and I don't mean round one, I mean in May/June cutoff time.

It has always been like that the Kangaroos are the same way and even Melbourne in recent times. I would assume quite a portion of our un-signed ones that sign up late wait to see if we will figure in finals and that is why there is a last minute dash. Exposure has a lot to do with it aswell so with quite a few FTA games coming our way that will hopefully improve the figures long term.

bulldogtragic
25-02-2007, 02:57 PM
If you wait until the start of the season to see if we're good enough to make the finals, you're not a supporter your a prostitute.

having said, that please sign up....

I don't understand why more people dont direct debit. As low as $13 once a month. Really it's no savings, no where will i pull the money from, it's a pack of smokes a month or less than one ciggy less a day or the price of a six pack or one less beer every 5 days in return for 13 games plus access to finals tickets and knowing you're doing your bit to sucure the future of our great club. Some people **** me to tears.

GVGjr
25-02-2007, 03:26 PM

There is a number of reasons in my opinion.
1) The stronghold of the club supporter base is in an area that struggles economically.
2) The threat over the last 10 years that the club would have to relocate meant that supporters had to be convinced before joining up.
3) Lack of sustained success has resulted in supporters not wanting to recommit each year.
4) A sense of apathy amongst a number of supporters that as long as the club is in no immediate danger of folding or merging then they don't need to be pro-active joining each year.
5) That memberships to football clubs don't offer good value and that people who joined up for the 1st time last year didn't think they got value for money.
6) Out of control prices at footy venues has pressured familys.
7) Pay TV and the footy rights deals with free to air channels results in it being easier to simply stay at home.
8) A sense of doom amongst a number of supporters that we cannot actually win the flag.

There is probably 10 more valid reasons as well but I think we have to face facts that we have a lot of supporters who place a number of conditions on if they will dig deep and actually sign up.

The way we played last year, the signing of Aker, and the players coming back from injury should be enough to spur people to sign up but there is something lacking.
It's still early days but it would be a terrific stepping stone for the club to get to 32,000 members this year.

firstdogonthemoon
25-02-2007, 04:14 PM
If you wait until the start of the season to see if we're good enough to make the finals, you're not a supporter your a prostitute.

Geez thats a bit harsh. And what about the sex trade workers who have already signed up?

They're already prostitutes!

Perhaps some of our supporters arent welcoming enough to other supporters? Does that turn people off?

Frankly, I will take their money as long as they join before the deadline. I'll take anyones money.

Ooh hang on. That makes me sound like

alwaysadog
25-02-2007, 04:45 PM
With respect Bornadog, why would the average supporter sign up early? I know, for we tragics, it's impossible to get through a week without a Bulldog fix; it's our habit and fortunately it's legal.

For the rest, till the real stuff starts it's not an issue, they won't bother till then. Then you have those who aren't too flush and for whom it takes a lot of time post Xmas to get the readies together. Then there are those who while they follow us aren't rusted on so they wait and see: if we don't start well they won't buy.

I would like to know in how many seasons we have had over 20,000 signed up before the start of the preseason comp, afterall our total was only just over 26,000 last year. While I sympathise with those who are frustrated by our recalcitrant supporters I suspect that we are slowly turning it around.

The fact that we have so many of last years members unsigned suggests that the die hards like us have got to keep asking friends and acquaintances "Are you signed up yet?"

Topdog
25-02-2007, 07:18 PM
When I went to the WO the day before the intraclub match the lady there told me they had either 20,600 or 21,600 I can't remember to be honest.

Anyhow, I was having a chat with my mate when I was there. And I basically had a joking go at him for having not signed up yet. His response

"What's the point? To get yet another Bulldogs scarf?? I'll just get it when I go to the ground"

Mind you I haven't gotten my membership yet either.

bulldogtragic
25-02-2007, 08:27 PM
When I went to the WO the day before the intraclub match the lady there told me they had either 20,600 or 21,600 I can't remember to be honest.

Anyhow, I was having a chat with my mate when I was there. And I basically had a joking go at him for having not signed up yet. His response

"What's the point? To get yet another Bulldogs scarf?? I'll just get it when I go to the ground"

Mind you I haven't gotten my membership yet either.
That to me is not a major issue, it's personal choice at what point you sign up.

My problem is people waiting to see how we'll go. On the premise they signed up last year like this and hopefully this year, when things are bad they wont sign up and we'll go into a continual cycle of membership rises and falls meaning regular bad times for the club.

GVGjr
25-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Freo have a membership target of about 38,000 for this year and think they might even crack 40,000. Given they are such a young club it must be a concern to clubs like ours.
We are doing well and will pass last years numbers easily but it does say that we haven't yet maximised our membership possibilities. The interstate clubs just keep powering on and really we need the people who follow the club to actually become supporters by buying memberships.

BulldogBelle
25-02-2007, 10:47 PM
We are doing well and will pass last years numbers easily but it does say that we haven't yet maximised our membership possibilities.

Yes, that is true although we are making in-roads and the increase in Memberships in the last two years tells us that there is scope for further improvement. The club has been tapping into different areas trying to bring out the supporters and willing them to join the club. With continuing success both on and off the field, the sky is the limit. Everyone will want to be with us.

aker39
26-02-2007, 09:45 AM
I think you are over analysing things.

Some people want to pay as soon as possible, but some people are happy to wait.

There are 16 people in my immediate family that are members. About 12 of us have choosen the automatic renewal, but another family of 4 always sign up at Round 1.

The are very busy with other things on and basically leave lots of things to the last minute.

Each to their own

bornadog
26-02-2007, 03:46 PM
I think you are over analysing things.

Some people want to pay as soon as possible, but some people are happy to wait.

There are 16 people in my immediate family that are members. About 12 of us have choosen the automatic renewal, but another family of 4 always sign up at Round 1.

The are very busy with other things on and basically leave lots of things to the last minute.

Each to their own

These aren't the guys we are talking about, its the struggle to get to our targets. Have a look at last year and how we made the target, basically we were still signing up people right into the season (about round 8 or 9 can't remember the cutoff date), whereas other clubs can hit their targets by round one or two.

At the end of the day its a struggle to get WB supporters to sign up.

GVGjr
26-02-2007, 06:19 PM
These aren't the guys we are talking about, its the struggle to get to our targets. Have a look at last year and how we made the target, basically we were still signing up people right into the season (about round 8 or 9 can't remember the cutoff date), whereas other clubs can hit their targets by round one or two.

At the end of the day its a struggle to get WB supporters to sign up.

I agree with this. I have no problems with people getting their memberships on the first home game of the season (I have a problem if they have a whinge about waiting in line too long though) nor do I see anything wrong with people waiting until now to sign up. What irritates me though is the amount of time and expense the club has to spend to chase down those who just seem to forget to do sign up again especially since things have come so far and that signing up is not the chore that it once was.

When you consider:
* The monthly payment option
* The club being open 5 1/2 days
* The ability to pay online
* The auto renewal
* Family days

and the ongoing plight of the club with regards to memberships, I'd like to see some of the supporters be a bit more proactive with joining up instead of having to be tracked down each season.
Like Aker, I know a number of supporters that choose to wait but I still wish they would endeavor to sign up earlier rather than later.

bornadog
11-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Membership now close to 23,000, but the club is still hunting down 8000 members from last year that haven't signed up yet. Three weeks to go for the start of the season, where are they? Will they sign up?

southerncross
11-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Membership now close to 23,000, but the club is still hunting down 8000 members from last year that haven't signed up yet. Three weeks to go for the start of the season, where are they? Will they sign up?

If it was only a couple of thousand it wouldn't be too bad but eight thousand sounds a hell of a lot.
I wonder however, if this is not just another ploy by the club to try and give an impression to those 50/50 supporters that they are in someways struggling.
I still think we will finish a couple of thousand short of the mark and then if we miss the balancing the books I'm sure Rose or Smorgon will highlight the missing members.

BulldogBelle
12-03-2007, 12:36 AM
We would have sold quite a bit today at the Family Day and we will get that influx come Round 1 before the first game, I think we will come very close to the Target by the time the Membership comes to a close for this season.

GVGjr
12-03-2007, 07:06 AM
We would have sold quite a bit today at the Family Day and we will get that influx come Round 1 before the first game, I think we will come very close to the Target by the time the Membership comes to a close for this season.

They were very busy weren't they? The turnout was far bigger than the last two years and while the weather might have played a small part in that it was the biggest day I have seen there.

Max469
12-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I heard we sold about 800 memberships yesterday.

That was 3rd hand news though.

It was great to see so many people and what about all those kids running around in bulldog colours. Very encouraging for the future.

bornadog
12-03-2007, 09:55 AM
They were very busy weren't they? The turnout was far bigger than the last two years and while the weather might have played a small part in that it was the biggest day I have seen there.

Yes it was the biggest day that I have been to and we go every year. Very hard to get a bite to eat and also hard to get signatures from the senior players (too many people) and yes, great to see so many kids in their bulldog gear.

southerncross
12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
I heard we sold about 800 memberships yesterday.

That was 3rd hand news though.

It was great to see so many people and what about all those kids running around in bulldog colours. Very encouraging for the future.

800 is sensational. The club would be over the top with that sort of response.
Perhaps the 32,000 challenge is within reach. :)

bornadog
14-03-2007, 10:37 PM
From the official Bulldogs website

"The 2007 Community Festival and Family Day was bigger and better than ever before with 410 people signing up to become Bulldogs members, taking the tally to 23,300 – 6,000 more memberships than this time in 2006.

At least 7,000 members are yet to renew so ‘dob in a dog’ and sign up a lost dog "

Go_Dogs
15-03-2007, 10:40 AM

"The 2007 Community Festival and Family Day was bigger and better than ever before with 410 people signing up to become Bulldogs members, taking the tally to 23,300 – 6,000 more memberships than this time in 2006.

At least 7,000 members are yet to renew so ‘dob in a dog’ and sign up a lost dog "

30,000 is looking pretty comfortable now. Never thought I would see the day...and I'm sure others have felt even more so. Amazing stuff.

BulldogBelle
15-03-2007, 09:23 PM
30,000 is looking pretty comfortable now. Never thought I would see the day...and I'm sure others have felt even more so. Amazing stuff.

It is great, good to keep seeing that figure rising and rising, I am going to add one or two more to the total by purchasing a Bulldog Backyard Package as they say every little bit more helps.

Dry Rot
18-03-2007, 02:40 PM

I'm one of those 7,000 - I wonder if the club has considered that some of us might be pissed off with it?

I'll renew my donation, but I'm in no great hurry.

firstdogonthemoon
18-03-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm one of those 7,000 - I wonder if the club has considered that some of us might be pissed off with it?

I'll renew my donation, but I'm in no great hurry.

What are some of the things they might be pissed off with?

GVGjr
18-03-2007, 06:59 PM

Can of worms FDOTM, can of worms :)

Dry Rot
18-03-2007, 08:49 PM

This is a good start

http://westernbulldogs.com.au/

whythelongface
18-03-2007, 09:51 PM
This is a good start

http://westernbulldogs.com.au/

Apart from being a pretty ordinary website (besides isn't it run by the AFL) what else is there to be pissed off about.

Dry Rot
18-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Apart from being a pretty ordinary website (besides isn't it run by the AFL) what else is there to be pissed off about.

The short story is that it doesn't work on other platforms and browsers other than Windows and IE. Didn't before the new big rights deal, club gave a commitment on BF to fix it and never did.

If they hit 32k members, over 1500 paid up members can't use their web site.

And they don't give a stuff.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2007, 08:44 AM
I can view all their material on Firefox using a PC, but I really do think that they do need to address it. Having extra permissions and access rights to special features for paid up members etc is something they should also look at IMO.

Dry Rot
19-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Yes, it's a bit odd when you are a Dogs member and a BigPond subscriber and you can't view the content.

firstdogonthemoon
19-03-2007, 11:01 AM
But would that be enough to stop worrying amounts of people from renewing? While it certainly pees me off A LOT! It wouldnt be enough to keep me from joining.

Dry Rot
19-03-2007, 11:26 AM
IIRC BF is full of threads of poor customer service etc

I'll renew my donation, but I'm in no hurry after their web site efforts (or lack of them)

bornadog
19-03-2007, 12:37 PM
IIRC BF is full of threads of poor customer service etc

I'll renew my donation, but I'm in no hurry after their web site efforts (or lack of them)

Have a read of the events of 1989 (see blogs) and if you were around then you would know how it feels to lose your club and then regain it. You are only punishing the club by not becoming a member. The websites are controlled by the AFL, not the clubs.

Dry Rot
19-03-2007, 12:51 PM
I'll give my donation this year, like I have in the past, but I'm short of money and the club;s behaviour re the site means that it's not a high priority right now.

I'm a bit different to most of you - you get something for your membership like admission to games - I get bugger all except the know;ledge that I'm helping the club.

firstdogonthemoon
19-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm a bit different to most of you - you get something for your membership like admission to games - I get bugger all except the know;ledge that I'm helping the club.

Fair call.

I did notice however that the recent raffle was conducted on a bulldogs.net.au address rather than .com.au. I get the sense that quietly the dogs arent entirely happy with the website situation either.

bornadog
19-03-2007, 10:44 PM
I'll give my donation this year, like I have in the past, but I'm short of money and the club;s behaviour re the site means that it's not a high priority right now.

Yes and helping to keep the dogs alive.

Dry Rot
19-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Yes and helping to keep the dogs alive.

Yep, which is why I do it.

If the roles were reversed, dunno how Melbourne based members would be happy permanently living interstate and giving an annual donation nearing $100 and seeing no games.

I'm happy to do it but I suspect many would not.

Go_Dogs
20-03-2007, 09:52 AM

If the roles were reversed, dunno how Melbourne based members would be happy permanently living interstate and giving an annual donation nearing $100 and seeing no games.

Spot on DR.

bornadog
20-03-2007, 10:38 PM

You are probably right there, look at the 7000 that haven't signed yet. I suspect the club will struggle to get them to sign at all and that is the question I asked at the start of the thread and I just don't understand why.

Most Vic based clubs are now at 30,000 plus and still growing. We struggle to get to 24,000 let alone to the target. I suspect we might just nudge 30,000, which would be a great achievement, but still dissapointing overall.

Go_Dogs
21-03-2007, 10:31 AM
All we need is for Judd to announce his intention to be traded to the Dogs at the end of the year, joining his best mate, and star player, Doogs. I feel that would also help us reach 32,000.

southerncross
21-03-2007, 10:49 AM
All we need is for Judd to announce his intention to be traded to the Dogs at the end of the year, joining his best mate, and star player, Doogs. I feel that would also help us reach 32,000.

I think the club would be aiming for 38,000 if that was the case.

Out of interest what would we be willing to give up to get him assuming that he was reasonable with his financial requirements?

Ray, Gilbee and a 1st round pick?

bornadog
21-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I think the club would be aiming for 38,000 if that was the case.

Out of interest what would we be willing to give up to get him assuming that he was reasonable with his financial requirements?

Ray, Gilbee and a 1st round pick?

What about Ray and Hargrave, both West Aussies, plus 1st round. Although I hate to lose both these guys. The other day, I watched last years Final against Collingwood and had forgotten that Ray was in our top three on the ground. But then again, Judd is a freak.

westdog54
21-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I personally can't afford it.

Because neither myself nor my wife are working full-time at the moment, until I find full-time work, anything that isn't 'essential' as such is out. And trying to justify spending the money to my wife (a sydneysider) is like banging my head against a wall. Gave up ages ago.

aker39
21-03-2007, 02:49 PM
I personally can't afford it.

Because neither myself nor my wife are working full-time at the moment, until I find full-time work, anything that isn't 'essential' as such is out. And trying to justify spending the money to my wife (a sydneysider) is like banging my head against a wall. Gave up ages ago.

I appreciate the fact that you can't afford it. Everyone has to live within their financial means.

But I will offer some suggestions for you in trying to convince your wife.

Do you go to every bulldog game.

If the answer is yes, than it is actually cheaper for you to buy a membership than to pay at the gate for every game. Also, with the bulldogs monthly payment plan, there will be no large one off payment to make. The cost will be spread out over 12 months.

Also, if neither of your are working full time, do you qualify for a concession membership.

Good luck with it. By the sounds of thing, once your financial situation has improved, you'll jump on board. And that is all we can ask.

westdog54
21-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I appreciate the fact that you can't afford it. Everyone has to live within their financial means.

But I will offer some suggestions for you in trying to convince your wife.

Do you go to every bulldog game.

If the answer is yes, than it is actually cheaper for you to buy a membership than to pay at the gate for every game. Also, with the bulldogs monthly payment plan, there will be no large one off payment to make. The cost will be spread out over 12 months.

Also, if neither of your are working full time, do you qualify for a concession membership.

Good luck with it. By the sounds of thing, once your financial situation has improved, you'll jump on board. And that is all we can ask.

Sadly the answer to both questions is no. I work weekends, and afternoon shift, which means that I miss virutally every game except the odd Friday night game. And even the monthly payment option isn't 100% viable at the moment, money is very tight.

I don't think I qualify for a concession membership. The reason things are quite tight is that we're paying off a house, a car and a wedding.

Once I find full time work I'm pretty sure I'll be right to get a membership.

Sockeye Salmon
21-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Sadly the answer to both questions is no. I work weekends, and afternoon shift, which means that I miss virutally every game except the odd Friday night game. And even the monthly payment option isn't 100% viable at the moment, money is very tight.

I don't think I qualify for a concession membership. The reason things are quite tight is that we're paying off a house, a car and a wedding.

Once I find full time work I'm pretty sure I'll be right to get a membership.

You could always cut back on the wedding. That would go down well.

alwaysadog
21-03-2007, 10:15 PM
The reason things are quite tight is that we're paying off a house, a car and a wedding.

And Zorba called it the full catastrophe and he didn't include car payments.

Good luck with the job search westdog

westdog54
22-03-2007, 07:22 AM
You could always cut back on the wedding. That would go down well.

Bit late for that SS, the wedding is done and dusted.

Now we're just paying it off bit by bit.

bornadog
22-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Bit late for that SS, the wedding is done and dusted.

Now we're just paying it off bit by bit.

What happened to the Retail Mgt job?

westdog54
24-03-2007, 01:23 PM
What happened to the Retail Mgt job?

Its only part time while I'm finalising things at Uni

bornadog
02-04-2007, 11:34 PM
After a great win you would think that at least half of those missing members from last year would sign up? The doggies website says we have 25811 as of today but I am not sure how up to date it is. It will be interesting what the count will be by the end of the week.

Bulldog Revolution
03-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I think there are a whole range of issues that have hindered us membership wise

Whilst Cam Rose has been a great executive of the club I think it still took him a few years to really get his head around the problematic way in which we have approached memberships. I dont think we have previously kept particularly good records of who our members actually were. I think Cam and the team have really turned the corner and last years 26,000 was great and this years 32,000 would be brilliant. Rocket and Co clearly have a vision for sustained success on the ground so hopefully this will attract and convert loads of kids - I found it enlightening the way both James Hird and Michael Voss's kids at the Brownlow coverage mentioned Chris Judd as the player they love - I wonder if having a guy like that converts kids long term to be members down the track as adults?. I think guys like Aka & Johnson must be good draw cards for us, and building through the draft to find our own stars of the future is the way to go.

I always wonder if one of the problems we have as a club is that we have lots of people who support other clubs buy a membership, or people buy them for relatives etc. I wonder if this leads to us spending time and effort chasing and trying to get them to re-join. Its part of the reason I am never that happy to hear a hard core supporter tell me they signed up someone who barracks for another club etc.

Anyhow there are a lot of issues in there, I think Cam Rose is trying to change the way our members operate with automatic renewals etc, and its a good thing.

WestDog - I hope you find employment shortly and can get back on board - the club needs you and we want you!