View Full Version : Preview: Western Bulldogs v Essendon

bornadog
21-08-2008, 06:54 PM
FROM SPORTAL

Preview: Western Bulldogs v Essendon
Ronny Lerner
VENUE & TIME: Telstra Dome, Friday 22 August, 7.40pm AEST

HEAD TO HEAD: Played 146, Western Bulldogs 57, Essendon 87, Draws 2

LAST TIME: Western Bulldogs 19.14 (128) def Essendon 14.14 (98), Round 4, 2008 at Telstra Dome

WALKING WOUNDED: The Bulldogs have very few worries with only Dylan Addison (knee - 4 weeks) and Tom Williams (shoulder - TBA) the major concerns. Conversely, the Bombers could assemble a decent team with the players who are currently on their injury list. David Hille (hand - season), Dustin Fletcher (groin - 1-2 weeks), Alwyn Davey (knee - season), Jason Laycock (ankle - 1-2), Kyle Reimers (hamstring - 1), Bachar Houli (groin - season), David Myers (foot - season), Jay Neagle (ankle - season), Jason Winderlich (back - season) and Courtenay Dempsey (leg - season) are all unavailable while Scott Lucas (back - test) is extremely unlikely. However, Mark McVeigh (knee - test) is a good chance of returning while Jason Johnson will make his long-awaited return from a calf injury.

FORM: Both sides have lost significant amounts of momentum in recent times with the Bulldogs losing four of their last five matches, following an opening 15-round period that yielded just the one defeat, while Essendon has lost its past two matches in unflattering fashion after a brilliant seven-week stretch that saw it beaten only once by Richmond by four points.

WHO'S HOT: Ryan Hargrave was the Bulldogs' best during their 11-point loss to the Brisbane Lions last week at the Gabba. The 27-year-old patrolled the defensive half with purpose and ended up accumulating 29 possessions. Veteran Bomber Damien Peverill returned to the line-up last week against Adelaide and picked up where he left off before he sat out Round 19 due to a glute injury as he helped himself to 33 touches, boosting his average to 25 in his last six matches in the process.

WE THINK: On paper, this match-up is as good as a 'no contest'. While the Bulldogs are enduring their worst period of form for the season, the sting has been well and truly taken out of the Bombers' year now. The fledgling side is officially out of finals contention and any faint chance it had of an upset win was dashed when it was further decimated by injury to key senior players on the weekend. Although the Bulldogs have little to play for, having sewn up a top-three spot and a showdown with Hawthorn in the first week of September, they're at full strength and will comfortably return to the winners' list on Friday night. Western Bulldogs by 55 points.

Dancin' Douggy
21-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't believe 3rd spot is sewn up.
If North keep winning and we keep losing they could still take 3rd spot if their percentage improves substantially. So it's highly likely we have 3rd spot but not completely a closed deal.

The Underdog
21-08-2008, 07:52 PM
If North keep winning and we keep losing they could still take 3rd spot if their percentage improves substantially. So it's highly likely we have 3rd spot but not completely a closed deal.

Should be a big percentage booster against Geelong this week.
They'd have to win huge and we'd have to get slaughtered for them to have a chance of catching up. Won't happen.

Sockeye Salmon
21-08-2008, 07:55 PM

All they have to do is beat Geelong by 200 pts.

Dancin' Douggy
21-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Yes but I'm still right god damn it.

LostDoggy
21-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Danger game! (if you can have a danger game with nothing riding on the result).Bulldog unaccountable midfield will show Essendons no name midfield little repsect and they will have to much pace and skill. Bombers by 17pts

Mantis
21-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Danger game! (if you can have a danger game with nothing riding on the result).Bulldog unaccountable midfield will show Essendons no name midfield little repsect and they will have to much pace and skill. Bombers by 17pts

Welcome back jerry.... Missed your insightful comments around here.

Yeah we have been playing shit, but if you seriously think that will be the result your deadset delusional.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2008, 10:27 PM
All they have to do is beat Geelong by 200 pts.
:) :) :)

1eyedog
21-08-2008, 11:38 PM

The way we have been playing anything is possible, however they have lost most of their pace around the ball and I'm not sure where this great skill level will come from with inexperienced players.

The Underdog
22-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Yes but I'm still right god damn it.

It's mathematically possible. Not even slightly likely, but possible:)

The way we've been playing all games are danger games. Having said that though, Essendon's team is close to as weak as it can get. Even their better players coming back like McVeigh will be short of a run, they are woefully undermanned in the ruck and they've got no Fletcher or Lucas. Our unaccountable midfield may show them no respect but we should have them for talent and ability in spades. I'd be surprised if we don't kick 20 goals. I don't think we'll walk over them but even short of our best we should be able to account for them reasonably comfortably (I said should).

Scraggers
22-08-2008, 10:31 AM
B: Henry Slattery, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Mal Michael
HB: Mark McVeigh, Patrick Ryder, Jay Nash
C: Andrew Lovett, Jobe Watson, Jason Johnson
HF: Adam McPhee, Matthew Lloyd, Angus Monfries
F: Sam Lonergan, Andrew Welsh, Heath Hocking
Foll: Tom Bellchambers, Brent Stanton, Ricky Dyson
I/C: Rhys Magin, Cale Hooker, Damien Peverill, Adam Ramanauskas

Under estimate this Bombers side at your peril !!!

They might be severely under-manned, but they still have a few stars roaming the paddock ... in saying that, Bulldogs by 42 points

Mantis
22-08-2008, 11:47 AM
B: Henry Slattery, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Mal Michael
HB: Mark McVeigh, Patrick Ryder, Jay Nash
C: Andrew Lovett, Jobe Watson, Jason Johnson
HF: Adam McPhee, Matthew Lloyd, Angus Monfries
F: , Andrew Welsh, Heath Hocking
Foll: Tom Bellchambers, Brent Stanton, Ricky Dyson
I/C: Rhys Magin, Cale Hooker, Damien Peverill, Adam Ramanauskas

Under estimate this Bombers side at your peril !!!

They might be severely under-manned, but they still have a few stars roaming the paddock ... in saying that, Bulldogs by 42 points

Taking a line from the Superbrat himself..."You cannot be serious!!"

There are a few good players in this team, but this team would be the worst team on paper Essendon has fielded for 20 years. The blokes in red are either being shown the door or likely to be come season end.

craigsahibee
22-08-2008, 12:21 PM
The message to our midfieldes tonight is simple. If there are no options up forward simply give the ball to Jobe Watson. He is an expert in finding an opposition player in a better position.

ledge
22-08-2008, 12:35 PM

There are a few good players in this team, but this team would be the worst team on paper Essendon has fielded for 20 years. The blokes in red are either being shown the door or likely to be come season end.

So your point is the players in red are incapable of playing good football?
Just because they might be shown the door is one reason they might play well.
Excepted Mal Michael has retired at the end of the year, doesnt mean he cant put in a good game.
Wouldnt let Peveril loose either just quietly.
These players will want to prove they are good enough to stay on the list, admittedly they will probably start playing as indivduals but they are still well capable of playing great games.
Also our form lately will only give them confidence they can beat us.

I am spewing Laycock isnt playing actually because he is an absolute *******.
But in saying all that if we dont win, the vultures will be out.

ledge
22-08-2008, 12:39 PM
The message to our midfieldes tonight is simple. If there are no options up forward simply give the ball to Jobe Watson. He is an expert in finding an opposition player in a better position.

As long as we make him kick it.
Good on you, now you have let out Eades game plan.

Scraggers
22-08-2008, 12:57 PM

Damien Peverill has averaged 25 posessions in the last four weeks and been top five in the league for hard ball gets, which makes it surprising the Bombers are moving him on at the end of the year ...

Maybe, Just maybe, do you think these players are in a job interview scenario right now ... You know, 'if I play really well now another club might pick me up next season' !!

I say again, write them off at your peril

Mantis
22-08-2008, 01:23 PM
The team Essendon have in tonight is worse than the team we had on the park for the last 6 or so games last year. We all saw what the finals teams (Haw, Nth, WCE, Geel, etc..) did to us at this time.

If we can't beat them comfortably tonight then serious questions have to be asked of our team.

Cyberdoggie
22-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Exactly, if we can't retain some form from this game then we don't deserve to play finals.

If your a forward playing for the dogs tonight and you don't contribute to the goal tally you should be ashamed.

Jason Johnson was plodding around against willy last week in a side that scored 1 goal.
Even west playing on one leg showed him up.

Half their team are playing because they have no one else to put in. This match should be a pantsing and i'll be un-happy if it isn't!

Mantis
22-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Exactly, if we can't retain some form from this game then we don't deserve to play finals.

If your a forward playing for the dogs tonight and you don't contribute to the goal tally you should be ashamed.

Jason Johnson was plodding around against willy last week in a side that scored 1 goal.
Even west playing on one leg showed him up.

Half their team are playing because they have no one else to put in. This match should be a pantsing and i'll be un-happy if it isn't!

And that could be a trap we fall into.

We still need to share the ball around and give it to player's in better positions. At times our players can get too 'hungry' and this is something we need to get out of our game.

ledge
22-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Sick of seeing Aker in the back pocket, put him back in the forward line and let him kick a couple.

Cyberdoggie
22-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Sick of seeing Aker in the back pocket, put him back in the forward line and let him kick a couple.

I feel the same way but i think he's our only player capable of tagging a dangerous small at the moment, and i feel that it's playing him into form. I'd prefer he was doing this in the middle, just needs to get his hands on it more.

bornadog
22-08-2008, 04:41 PM

I thought he was easily going to kick 50 goals this year, but he has been stuck on 39 for 5 weeks.