PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Bombers

GVGjr
22-08-2008, 07:16 AM
This is the discussion thread for this evenings game against the undermanned Bombers.

The Dogs by 47 points, Johnson for the first goal and Cross for BOG honors.

The Coon Dog
22-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Will Minson to kick the first goal in an 87 point win.

Scorlibo
22-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Dogs by 7 points. First goal Gia. BOG to the skipper.

The Pie Man
22-08-2008, 09:04 AM
45 point win, Welsh first goal....ahhh Johnson BOG

The Underdog
22-08-2008, 09:27 AM
35 point win.
Murph first goal.
Cooney BOG.

Scraggers
22-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Cooney to run riot and claim another BOG
Aka to kick the first
Bulldogs by 42 points ... I've got a good feeling about this one (don't know why, but I do)

1eyedog
22-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Dogs by 23 points
Welsh first goal
Cooney BOG

G-Mo77
22-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Dogs by 42
Johnson first goal
Boyd BOG

Cyberdoggie
22-08-2008, 01:23 PM
late change, Higgins in

Ward out

G-Mo77
22-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Confirmed?

LostDoggy
22-08-2008, 01:37 PM
^^^

How sure are you? Dont see it happening, Eade wants Higgins to have another Williamstown run..

Murphy to get some form back, First Goal & BOG
Dogs by 41pts

Desipura
22-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Dogs by 53 points with Minson kicking 5 and the media stating that we do have a tall key forward capable of kicking a bag.
"Oh, I can dream can't I"?

The Underdog
22-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Dogs by 53 points with Minson kicking 5 and the media stating that we do have a tall key forward capable of kicking a bag.
"Oh, I can dream can't I"?

He might be able to kick a bag but he can't catch one :D

Cyberdoggie
22-08-2008, 02:38 PM
^^^

How sure are you? Dont see it happening, Eade wants Higgins to have another Williamstown run..

Murphy to get some form back, First Goal & BOG
Dogs by 41pts

Not confirmed, just my prediction. ;)

I feel that if Higgins comes in for the Adelaide game it won't be enough time for him prior to finals to hit form.

The Bulldogs have been playing funny buggers all year with their team selections and injury reports. Higgins being on the emergency list smells funny to me. I think they will bring him in as a last minute inclusion.

I don't know why he hasn't been selected, he's ready to go now and should be playing in place of someone like Ward who probably isn't going to feature in our finals campaign, and whom only played 58% of the Brisbane game last week.

Mantis
22-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Confirmed?

I have heard the same rumour from a couple of people.

One of those said he got it off a former Bulldogs player who might now be a boundary rider for Fox Sports.;)

Go_Dogs
22-08-2008, 03:14 PM
35 point win.
Murph first goal.
Cooney BOG.

Exactly what I was going to say...so I'll go Griff for first goal.

Mantis
22-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Maybe Gilbee?

Everitt in?

Wonder where you saw that one.

The Coon Dog
22-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Everitt in?

Wonder where you saw that one.

Where I read about the fat journo.

Topdog
22-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Dogs by 45.
Aker first goal
Cross BOG

bornadog
22-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Dogs by 51 points

Cooney BOG

Hahn first goal

Gilbee out (injury not confirmed), Higgins in

hujsh
22-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Will we have 6 defenders if Gilbee's out?

Lake-Hargrave-Morris-Callan-?-?

LostDoggy
22-08-2008, 04:51 PM
If Gilbee is out?

More the chance of Everitt in, before Higgins

Mantis
22-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Dogs to win comfortably.

More important than the margain is how we do it. Would like to see the following 3 things happen tonight:

1. Midfield & Forwardline more accountable.
2. Improved skills by foot.
3. Our player's staying involved by blocking, shepharding, tackling, chasing, etc..

BulldogBelle
22-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Dogs to win by 37 points
BOG - Adam Cooney
First goal - Brad Johnson

hujsh
22-08-2008, 06:33 PM
So is Everitt or Higgins in?

LostDoggy
22-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Dogs by 16
Gia first goal
Griffen BOG

mighty_west
22-08-2008, 07:47 PM
So is Everitt or Higgins in?

Both in, Ray & Gilbee out.

DOG GOD
22-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Dogs by 13pts

Hahn first goal

Murphy b.o.g.

LostDoggy
22-08-2008, 08:34 PM
any word on ray?
omitted or injured?

mighty_west
22-08-2008, 08:41 PM
The Farren flu, apparently it's swept through the team.

Topdog
22-08-2008, 09:05 PM
That kind of stupidity by Hill is the kind of thing that costs teams games.

And then he goes across ground to Gia in the backline 2 on 1.....FFS!

Topdog
22-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Is it just me or does Buckley seem to be overly against us?

Down 21 - 22 after 1 quarter. Murphy looks to have found some form again which is going to be vital. We will run away with it.

Watson looks to have an injury. Probably miss a quarter but play out the match.

DOG GOD
22-08-2008, 09:11 PM
That was a qtr of football from NO top 8 side...we are AVGE at the moment.

Topdog
22-08-2008, 09:20 PM
That was a qtr of football from NO top 8 side...we are AVGE at the moment.

name a top 8 side besides North and Geelong who arent average at the moment.

DOG GOD
22-08-2008, 09:23 PM
name a top 8 side besides North and Geelong who arent average at the moment.

we've been avge for the last 6 weeks though. We just look disinterested.

Topdog
22-08-2008, 09:29 PM
goal of the year there by Hahn.

Topdog
22-08-2008, 09:30 PM
we've been avge for the last 6 weeks though. We just look disinterested.

I should add Adelaide to those 2 others I posted.

We look more lively tonight at least.

DOG GOD
22-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I should add Adelaide to those 2 others I posted.

We look more lively tonight at least.

a bit more lively now Topdog.

DOG GOD
22-08-2008, 09:43 PM
What a difference it makes when the players RUN for eachother.

bornadog
23-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Bad first quarter, eased up last quarter and did it easily in second and third.

Mantis
23-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Had a bet with a young friend that Eagleton would have 12 possessions in the last qtr. Can someone tell me how many he had? I thought it was 10.

G-Mo77
23-08-2008, 02:16 AM
I was pretty happy with the performance tonight. Have a story to tell though, where I was sitting I noticed a guy that looked very familiar sit a couple of rows down. It was the great man himself Chris Grant and then a few other familiar fellows sat with him. Matty Robbins, Ben Harrison and Rohan Smith.

Also towards the end I saw Libba with his son I think?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Some pleasing signs... and some still worrying signs. On the whole though this performance should give a few guys who have been sadly out of sorts some confidence.
Next week will be a huge test to see if we have really turned the corner heading into September.
Still large room for improvement at stoppages, and decision making and positioning in the back half.

Good to see guys like Hahn, Aker, Minson, and Hill regain some of the ground they'd lost formwise over the past 5 weeks.

As an aside how poor was some of the umpiring????. Two or 3 obvious marks to Hahn and Welsh denied, plus possibly the worst 50 metre penalty I have seen for some time against Boydy... not too mention paying Monfries a mark that hit the turf..........

LostDoggy
23-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Some pleasing signs... and some still worrying signs. On the whole though this performance should give a few guys who have been sadly out of sorts some confidence.
Next week will be a huge test to see if we have really turned the corner heading into September.

That's how I saw it as well. Some questions were answered but we still have some gaping holes that we need to fill.
I was pleased with the likes of Hill, Harbrow and the much maligned Tim Callan but I'm still scratching my head about whats the matter with Everitt.
Having Ray, Gilbee and West hopefully available next week might create a problem for the selectors. I hope Williams is on track because our back half would be so much better with a proper centre half back.

BulldogBelle
23-08-2008, 09:06 AM
I was pretty happy with the performance tonight. Have a story to tell though, where I was sitting I noticed a guy that looked very familiar sit a couple of rows down. It was the great man himself Chris Grant and then a few other familiar fellows sat with him. Matty Robbins, Ben Harrison and Rohan Smith.

Also towards the end I saw Libba with his son I think?

The Club organised a night in the past players room to try and get some more recently retired players in and use the facilities that are offered. Some other players who were there tonight were Croft, Darcy, and Justin Charles.

Mantis
23-08-2008, 09:18 AM
That's how I saw it as well. Some questions were answered but we still have some gaping holes that we need to fill.
I was pleased with the likes of Hill, Harbrow and the much maligned Tim Callan but I'm still scratching my head about whats the matter with Everitt.
Having Ray, Gilbee and West hopefully available next week might create a problem for the selectors. I hope Williams is on track because our back half would be so much better with a proper centre half back.

I know what your saying, but it's not through a lack of trying. Things just aren't going well for him. In the long run doing it tough this year will make him a better player.

Go_Dogs
23-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Everitt was ok last night, thought it was his best game of the year. Still a few mistakes, his one-handed attempt to mark on the wing left a bit to be desired, but he was alright.

The pleasing aspect was Murph starting well, Griff and Cooney able to influence the game, Minson taking some good strong grabs, Callan looks to be back into some form, Ward did well, Harbrow was good, and of course, big Hahn played the match of his life. Easily BOG.

Few cheapish touches for Aker will do him the world of good. Hopefully Johnno's ankle isn't too bad...he's starting to run into some great form at a good time of the year.

Overall, besides the first qtr it was a pretty polished performance, our ball movement, decision making, skills, everything looked much better in the 2nd and 3rd qtr than we have seen for weeks.

1eyedog
23-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Everitt was ok last night, thought it was his best game of the year. Still a few mistakes, his one-handed attempt to mark on the wing left a bit to be desired, but he was alright.

The pleasing aspect was Murph starting well, Griff and Cooney able to influence the game, Minson taking some good strong grabs, Callan looks to be back into some form, Ward did well, Harbrow was good, and of course, big Hahn played the match of his life. Easily BOG.

Few cheapish touches for Aker will do him the world of good. Hopefully Johnno's ankle isn't too bad...he's starting to run into some great form at a good time of the year.

Overall, besides the first qtr it was a pretty polished performance, our ball movement, decision making, skills, everything looked much better in the 2nd and 3rd qtr than we have seen for weeks.

Which is what you would expect playing the Bendigo Bombers, the jury is still out we proved nothing really last night although the easy game hopefully brought some players some form.

ledge
23-08-2008, 12:03 PM
The biggest thing out of this was we still know how to win , which was my biggest worry.

LostDoggy
23-08-2008, 12:05 PM
We learnt last night that we actually have a tall forward who can kick a bag :)

Should of won by 58pts though, if those umpires didnt giveaway those terrible 50m penaltys..prob sick of Essendon kicking to a completely empty forward line..so why not help em out

Topdog
23-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Which is what you would expect playing the Bendigo Bombers, the jury is still out we proved nothing really last night although the easy game hopefully brought some players some form.

What exactly did we have to prove though?

The Coon Dog
23-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Huddo just seemed out of sorts last night. Thought we didn't do as well from centre clearences as I thought we would.

Gee Murph missed a few on the left foot too, imagine if Farren Ray had of done that! :eek:

Go_Dogs
23-08-2008, 12:44 PM

I don't think it's about proving anything. It's about confidence, running players back into form and seeing who is going to be given a chance to play finals.

No doubt the pressure and talent applied by the opposition was no where near what we'll face in finals, but you can see the spark returning...

FWIW I think next weeks hit out will be the perfect warm up for the finals, Adelaide in Adelaide is never easy. Our tackling, pressure skills etc will need to be the focus this week. The offensive side is looking OK, let's toughen up the defensive aspects this coming week, and suddenly we're looking terrific for finals.

LostDoggy
23-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi guys, I've just flown home from Melbourne. Attended the game last night and was pretty happy with what I saw. I know the opposition were depleted but there's nothing wrong with playing a weaker team to play yourself back into form. A good turn out of doggies fans too!

Was anyone sitting in Aisle 31? There was a tosser of an Essendon supporter who started yelling abuse at our supporters and carrying on like a total knob about how many flags we've won and how Essendon have stacks of flags Blah, Blah, Blah

I walked past Libba last Night.

By the way, I was interviewed by Channel 31 at about 5.30 outside the Dome. Apparently they're puting me on tv on Thursday night!! What is Channel 31???

Go_Dogs
23-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Huddo just seemed out of sorts last night. Thought we didn't do as well from centre clearences as I thought we would.

Gee Murph missed a few on the left foot too, imagine if Farren Ray had of done that! :eek:

I thought Huddo was good, especially in the second half.

Yeah, some of Murph's snaps, and Hahn's earlier ones were shocking.

One thing that we do need to improve though is the skills by hand. Johnno, Boyd and Cross all made pretty poor errors by hand at times, putting the ball behind a player running forwards, and just generally not hitting the target...passing to stationary targets etc.

On the flip side, how perfect was Welsh's handball to Johnson for his goal in the 3rd(?) right out in front for Johnno to run onto, lovely execution, and vision.

ledge
23-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi guys, I've just flown home from Melbourne. Attended the game last night and was pretty happy with what I saw. I know the opposition were depleted but there's nothing wrong with playing a weaker team to play yourself back into form. A good turn out of doggies fans too!

Was anyone sitting in Aisle 31? There was a tosser of an Essendon supporter who started yelling abuse at our supporters and carrying on like a total knob about how many flags we've won and how Essendon have stacks of flags Blah, Blah, Blah

By the way, I was interviewed by Channel 31 at about 5.30 outside the Dome. Apparently they're puting me on tv on Thursday night!! What is Channel 31???

Channel 31 is the local Melbourne community station, has some interesting stuff but very amatuer at times.

ledge
23-08-2008, 01:12 PM
I was very happy with Akers game, people might say he still doesnt look his best but 4 goals? if he only gets 4 possesions and gets 4 goals, he did his job.
Remember he is an opportunist.

Topdog
23-08-2008, 01:36 PM
I was very happy with Akers game, people might say he still doesnt look his best but 4 goals? if he only gets 4 possesions and gets 4 goals, he did his job.
Remember he is an opportunist.

And that goal from outside 50m on the left was a thing of beauty. He has his mojo back.

westdog54
23-08-2008, 02:19 PM
And that goal from outside 50m on the left was a thing of beauty. He has his mojo back.

As soon as it left his boot I was thinking "No way, surely not?" Poetry in motion.

Is there anything more heartwarming than watching Jarrod Harbrow sprint 50 metres to make a tackle?

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Basically most points have been covered, we still looked ordinary at times but it's the best performance they've put out in a while. Seemed to take them a while to actually get interested though, they were very flat early on in the piece.

Hahn was sensational; he makes us a far better side when he's up and going. Strong marks and continually contesting for the ball - absolute night out for him.

Johnson is in really good touch, he's coming into form at the right time, very pleased to see him moving well, marking well & finishing off - all of which he struggled with earlier in the year.

Aker will be better for the run - he needed to be brought into a game, and I think he'll get some confidence out of that. Skills were very good, especially that goal on the left.

Murphy played well, he got to the right positions and led very well, but he was a bit disappointing at the same time. He dropped some easy marks and butchered a few kicks too. Realistically he has to do better than that for a player of his skill, but the pleasing thing is he's looking in good nick.

Minson had his best game for a long time, he took some strong grabs and had some nice palm ons to benefit other team mates. He used his body FAR better than in previous games.

The defense is still a bit of a worry, Lake was beaten by Michael, and only because he was un-accountable. Lake's our best defender, no doubt, he saves us a lot - but I wish he'd learn to be a little closer to his opponent at times because it often hurts us on the scoreboard. Perhaps this is why Williams is so important - Lake won't have to feel he has to guard that 0-30m territory every single time the opposition launch an attack.

Overall, it was better to see a bit of passion about the way they played. We haven't seen it for weeks, that forward line pressure and working for one another. As said though, it was against pretty weak opposition, but hopefully that attitude and confidence can be improved on next week.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-08-2008, 02:43 PM
As soon as it left his boot I was thinking "No way, surely not?" Poetry in motion.

Is there anything more heartwarming than watching Jarrod Harbrow sprint 50 metres to make a tackle?

Harbow's tackling should be highlighted by Eade as to what we should exect from all our players in terms of effort to get to a contest and apply pressure. If the small in stature and inexperienced Harbrow can show such commitment and desperation then there is no excuse for other not to.
Whilst I thought Hill's offensive skills and overall performance was a vast improvement on recent weeks, there were still a few times where he did not either go hard enough into a contest or was poor with his attempts to tackle.

bornadog
23-08-2008, 02:52 PM

My reserve seats are in Aisle 31, row C, but didn't hear that supporter. Great to see we out numbered Essendon in supporters.

hujsh
23-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I found Hill to be the most interesting aspect of last nights match.

When i saw him on the HBF i thought "oh crap". But surprisingly he did an ok job on his player.

What did worry me was his disposal in the back 50. Some very ordinary lazy looking kicks.
His 3rd man up attempts resulted in a few too many marking attempts at first but when he came in to a one on one he spoiled for a rushed behind which made me think he had learnt a thing or too.

bornadog
23-08-2008, 02:56 PM

How about Morris's 50 metre sprint to lay a shephard for Gia.

hujsh
23-08-2008, 02:59 PM
How about Morris's 50 metre sprint to lay a shephard for Gia.

1st good shepherd i saw last night.

I wasn't happy with Eagle getting the handball off Johnno in the pocket instead of shepharding him. Especially since he was in the left pocket and used his left foot.

bornadog
23-08-2008, 03:19 PM
1st good shepherd i saw last night.

I wasn't happy with Eagle getting the handball off Johnno in the pocket instead of shepharding him. Especially since he was in the left pocket and used his left foot.

yes, no right foot, should have been a certain goal.

strebla
23-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Doesn't Aker love kicking from that flank though he is exiting when he is switched on although i think he still has a little work to do to be back to his early year form all in all one happy little doggie here.

strebla
23-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Harbow's tackling should be highlighted by Eade as to what we should exect from all our players in terms of effort to get to a contest and apply pressure. If the small in stature and inexperienced Harbrow can show such commitment and desperation then there is no excuse for other not to.
Whilst I thought Hill's offensive skills and overall performance was a vast improvement on recent weeks, there were still a few times where he did not either go hard enough into a contest or was poor with his attempts to tackle.

His tackling is a highlight but in contrast when we kick long to our marking forwards he keeps flying for the mark and we have no-one on the ground he needs to realise he is our crumbing forward i love him but gee he frustrates me

1eyedog
23-08-2008, 04:52 PM
What exactly did we have to prove though?

That we are genuine finals contenders. If you want members to continually sign up year after year you have to instill some confidence with the supporters as well otherwise the club will perish. I think the team, also needs to prove to itself that it is capable of going deep into September. While beating Essendon will not do that, beating Adelaide at AAMI and Hawthorn in week 1 will go a long way towards that end.

1eyedog
23-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't think it's about proving anything. It's about confidence, running players back into form and seeing who is going to be given a chance to play finals.

No doubt the pressure and talent applied by the opposition was no where near what we'll face in finals, but you can see the spark returning...

FWIW I think next weeks hit out will be the perfect warm up for the finals, Adelaide in Adelaide is never easy. Our tackling, pressure skills etc will need to be the focus this week. The offensive side is looking OK, let's toughen up the defensive aspects this coming week, and suddenly we're looking terrific for finals.

The supporters need something to cling to, especially over the past month, while some here will say stuff the supporters the club depends on them.

LostDoggy
23-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Although a few of our players are beginning to find a bit of individual form the team doesn't seem to be jelling properly yet.

We seem to be persisting with bombing the ball to the top of the goal square for a contest instead of kicking to our lead up forwards. Whilst this worked last night where we were playing a much younger side who we could out muscle this will not work in finals.

Decision making is far too slow. I lost count of the number of times we ignored players who were 30 metres in the clear. And what on earth was Welsh (correct me if I'm wrong) thinking when he took all night to pass the ball from the HF line when we had 3 blokes in the clear screaming for the ball!! He just seemed to wait until Essendon players ran over to pick them up before he passed.

Didn't fill me with a lot of confidence last night.

Topdog
23-08-2008, 05:39 PM
That we are genuine finals contenders. If you want members to continually sign up year after year you have to instill some confidence with the supporters as well otherwise the club will perish. I think the team, also needs to prove to itself that it is capable of going deep into September. While beating Essendon will not do that, beating Adelaide at AAMI and Hawthorn in week 1 will go a long way towards that end.

Winning a final will be more than enough. We have been working extra hard on the track and have looked half dead during most games in the past month or so.

The players have enough confidence in their abilities.

LostDoggy
23-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Why does everyone keep throwing up the "We've been working extra hard on the track" line? They get paid to play football and that's it. They'd want to be working bloody hard for the money they get!
We are in a form slump, plain and simple. You haven't seen Geelong limping to the end of the home and away season the last 2 years have you? And if anyone could afford to lose the intencity it would be them.

LostDoggy
23-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Although a few of our players are beginning to find a bit of individual form the team doesn't seem to be jelling properly yet.

We seem to be persisting with bombing the ball to the top of the goal square for a contest instead of kicking to our lead up forwards. Whilst this worked last night where we were playing a much younger side who we could out muscle this will not work in finals.

Decision making is far too slow. I lost count of the number of times we ignored players who were 30 metres in the clear. And what on earth was Welsh (correct me if I'm wrong) thinking when he took all night to pass the ball from the HF line when we had 3 blokes in the clear screaming for the ball!! He just seemed to wait until Essendon players ran over to pick them up before he passed.

Didn't fill me with a lot of confidence last night.

I'm wondering if we were bombing the ball in for a calculated reason in a game that wouldn't determine our destiny???

1eyedog
23-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Winning a final will be more than enough. We have been working extra hard on the track and have looked half dead during most games in the past month or so.

The players have enough confidence in their abilities.

That's a cop out excuse, this new hard train theory before finals to explain a lull in fitness doesn't make sense. Why would you break players fitness bases 4 weeks out from the finals when the end result is to look 'half dead' on the pitch and lose 4 games out of the last 6?

hujsh
23-08-2008, 08:10 PM
That's a cop out excuse, this new hard train theory before finals to explain a lull in fitness doesn't make sense. Why would you break players fitness bases 4 weeks out from the finals when the end result is to look 'half dead' on the pitch and lose 4 games out of the last 6?

It makes them fitter but leaves them with less energy so when you ease the workload they are fitter and have more energy

LostDoggy
23-08-2008, 08:44 PM
... Hahn was sensational; he makes us a far better side when he's up and going. Strong marks and continually contesting for the ball - absolute night out for him. ...

Wasn't he just lovely to watch last night.

At the start of the game my fellow companions and I said we would like to see something from Hahn, Aker and Murphy. And they delivered. Sure, the opposition wasn't much chop but the team certainly looked sharper. Murphy consistently reading the play and out marking McPhee all night was satisfying.

I really enjoyed our last H&A game for 2008 at the Dome.

1eyedog
23-08-2008, 09:20 PM
It makes them fitter but leaves them with less energy so when you ease the workload they are fitter and have more energy

I understand the principle, I just reckon it's crap.

LostDoggy
23-08-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm wondering if we were bombing the ball in for a calculated reason in a game that wouldn't determine our destiny???

We have started doing this since the break..... surprise surprise, this also coincides with our drop in form.

BulldogBelle
23-08-2008, 11:40 PM
At the start of the game my fellow companions and I said we would like to see something from Hahn, Aker and Murphy.

Yes, they all played well, good to see them all getting back into some form, now next stop Adelaide.....

Topdog
24-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Yep, it was a cop out for Adelaide in 97 and 98. It was a cop out for the Storm last year, it was a cop out for the numerous teams overseas who have used it.

The single biggest problem in the AFL is the refusal of teams to learn from other sporting codes, esp. overseas.

1eyedog
24-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Yep, it was a cop out for Adelaide in 97 and 98. It was a cop out for the Storm last year, it was a cop out for the numerous teams overseas who have used it.

The single biggest problem in the AFL is the refusal of teams to learn from other sporting codes, esp. overseas.

It didn't work for the the Australian Cricket team leading up to the ashes over there so they dropped it during the next Ashes lead up over here (which of course we won). I don't know if we perform during the finals I'm sated.

hujsh
24-08-2008, 04:41 PM
It didn't work for the the Australian Cricket team leading up to the ashes over there so they dropped it during the next Ashes lead up over here (which of course we won). I don't know if we perform during the finals I'm sated.

I worked during the last WC but didn't it.

1eyedog
25-08-2008, 12:46 PM
I worked during the last WC but didn't it.

Did they try it? I thought Nielsen had abandoned it? I would like to see that data where this approach had failed and teams were burnt out going into championships/finals etc, unfortunately those data will not be forthcoming. My bet would be that it works for some and not others and I can imagine there are a lot of instances in world sport where it hasn't. Unfortunately I don't have the stats to support any claims. I really hope it works for us this year.

ledge
25-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Its a fine line between training hard and burnt out fitness wise, me personally but probably old fashioned, you lead up to a game you dont go full out at training. You run up to top conditioning by the time game or series come, not flog yourself stupid building up to it so your tired by the time you get there.
I see logic in keeping fit but to flog your guts out is ridiculous.

hujsh
25-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Did they try it? I thought Nielsen had abandoned it? I would like to see that data where this approach had failed and teams were burnt out going into championships/finals etc, unfortunately those data will not be forthcoming. My bet would be that it works for some and not others and I can imagine there are a lot of instances in world sport where it hasn't. Unfortunately I don't have the stats to support any claims. I really hope it works for us this year.

Wasn't coach yet. It's probably why we were beaten by England and NZ