PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown vs Box Hill

GVGjr
23-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Providing the weather doesn't get too wet, I'm looking forward to this game to see if Scott Wests mobility will improve from last week.
I'll write up a report when I get back. I don't think Easton Wood is playing today which is a shame because he has been one of the big improver's for the season.

Go_Dogs
23-08-2008, 01:10 PM
As always, look forward to reading your report Gary.

Any idea if Wood will be back for VFL finals? Going to be a good experience for a lot of our younger blokes.

LostDoggy
23-08-2008, 01:34 PM
West Out...heard on Triple M

Not liking that. :(

Can pretty much say goodbye to 2008 for Westy

Next Year? Who knows..

bornadog
23-08-2008, 03:22 PM
West Out...heard on Triple M

Not liking that. :(

Can pretty much say goodbye to 2008 for Westy

Next Year? Who knows..

Confirmed on Bulldogs website, see also:
http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3317

The Pie Man
23-08-2008, 03:23 PM
I got the feeling they feared this during the week when Eade said 'he knows it might not happen'

Is this knee condition something that can actually heal over the summer? If so, give him a year - but I also get the feeling this injury will finish him. Huge shame, more Bill Lawry obvious statements here but he's been something else for the club

GVGjr
23-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Went along and saw both games. The reserves had a loss.

4 Bulldogs players - Mulligan, White, Boumann and O'Shea played.

I thought Mulligan was the pick of the group and he is now showing some improvement with his marking although he still has a way to go. Henry White battled along and Boumann did some nice things although he wasn't prominent. O'Shea was solid in the back half but he isn't making the progress that I think we should be seeing with him. His kicking skills are still not whats required.

The seniors had a solid win with a number of the Bulldogs boys playing well.

Easton Wood did play today and was a solid 4 quarter contributor. For a large chunk of the day he was pitted against Al Neville and pretty much beat him all day. Neville did slip in for 3 goals but 1 of them wasn't when Wood was on him. Wood chimed in for a goal himself plus a missed chance from a set shot.

Cam Wight had a slow first half but them blossomed into a good contributor after that. He even ran forward and kicked a good goal on the run. Wight mainly played on Jarryd Morton.

Brennan Stack had no impact on the game. He started on the bench and about half way through the first quarter came on only to be tackled to the ground a minute or so later and injuring his leg. He came on later in the game but was off shortly after that.

Wayde Skipper played forward and in the ruck but really wasn't a force in the game.

Peter Street played ruck and a bit up forward and was a good contributor.

Sam Reid started as the ruck rover and played a bit everywhere. I thought he played well and has really adjusted to being a senior footballer. His last half of the season has been particularly good.

Guy O'Keefe again started as a deep forward before spending plenty of time in the midfield. He was good again today but wasn't necessarily one of the better players. He will be ready for senior football next season.

Stephen Tiller played all day as a defender and was pitted against Mitch Thorp. Thorp got an early goal but Tiller stuck to his task and did his job but he wasn't a big contributor.

A number of the Williamstown players performed well including Urch with 5 goals, Matt Little who played really well across half forward and Cloke and Picken.

Heaps of Bulldogs coaches and recruiters there as well.

Templeton31
23-08-2008, 08:35 PM
thanks GVGjnr. I know this has been asked before but would you consider Cloke with a speculative draft pick?

LostDoggy
23-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the review GVGjr as always. Would have liked to have gone for a look myself but suffered with car trouble. Nothing like breaking down in the middle of a busy intersection on a Saturday morning :o

Good to hear that Cam Wight is up and about after his injury. I have a soft spot for him.

GVGjr
23-08-2008, 08:39 PM
thanks GVGjnr. I know this has been asked before but would you consider Cloke with a speculative draft pick?

The short answer is no. He is an intelligent player and a real leader but the more I have seen him he just isn't consistent enough. He is probably being played out of position though.

strebla
23-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks GVGjr great report good to know whats going on while I suffer away at work

BulldogBelle
23-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for that GVG, always look forward to reading your reports. :)

bornadog
24-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks once more GVGjr, I to look forward to hearing how the pups go.

What is your assessment of Cam Wight? Lets say hypothetically, Williams is injured, should he be able to step in for the finals and should he be playing next week against Adelaide to be ready for the Hawks? I am really worried about the CHB role and hope Williams is going to come through for us.

The Underdog
24-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Sorry to turn this into a q & a session GVG, but what do you think are the 3 rookies chances of being retained on what you've seen this year? Considering that there's likely to be minimal turnover of the senior list, I'm interested to see what they'll do with Mulligan, White and Shaw

GVGjr
24-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Sorry to turn this into a q & a session GVG, but what do you think are the 3 rookies chances of being retained on what you've seen this year? Considering that there's likely to be minimal turnover of the senior list, I'm interested to see what they'll do with Mulligan, White and Shaw

You couldn't keep Shaw based on the games he has played because he just hasn't played enough. Henry White has really improved and whilst he is still skinny he's a lot stronger than he was when he first arrived. I tend to think he should be given another season.
Mulligan is an interesting one, he's tall and very athletic but just hasn't displayed the skills that you would want from a ruckman. Skill wise he just comes up a bit short and I think he could be better suited to the CHB role but he just hasn't been able to be played there with Shaw being out for so much of it. I'd be happy for him to be given another season though.

GVGjr
24-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks once more GVGjr, I to look forward to hearing how the pups go.

What is your assessment of Cam Wight? Lets say hypothetically, Williams is injured, should he be able to step in for the finals and should he be playing next week against Adelaide to be ready for the Hawks? I am really worried about the CHB role and hope Williams is going to come through for us.

I love his endeavour but he hasn't made the progress that you would want especially around his decision making and skills. He adds depth but we couldn't expect him to be a 22 game a season player. If Williams is to be given a run at Williamstown against Werribee next week then I would play Wight against Adelaide instead of Everitt.

Bulldog Revolution
25-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for reports GVG:

Of the first year players it seems that Ward, OKeefe and Reid have had good VFL seasons, whilst Wood has improved greatly after an injury interrupted start. White has shown steady improvement but is the more lightly bodied of the running types. Boumann Mulligan and Shaw have had there moments but appear unlikely to play senior AFL football in 2009.

The second year draftees have been a little disappointing, and perhaps that is just a function of second year blues. Harbrow and Hill have obviously been the exceptions and look set for AFL finals action. Whilst Everitts season has clearly been effected by injury he has lacked the spark in his game he had last year. Stack has seemed to have improved greatly in the VFL and if the AFL side had not been performing so well would probably have debuted already. Lynch has been very disappointing whilst OShea has looked extremely raw.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2008, 11:13 AM
You couldn't keep Shaw based on the games he has played because he just hasn't played enough. Henry White has really improved and whilst he is still skinny he's a lot stronger than he was when he first arrived. I tend to think he should be given another season.
Mulligan is an interesting one, he's tall and very athletic but just hasn't displayed the skills that you would want from a ruckman. Skill wise he just comes up a bit short and I think he could be better suited to the CHB role but he just hasn't been able to be played there with Shaw being out for so much of it. I'd be happy for him to be given another season though.

I am another who has appreciated the effort you put into your VFL reports GVGjr. They are very informative for those of us who can't get to the games. I was thinking that because of the lack of game time that John Shaw has had maybe that is a better reason to keep him. Apparently he played well in the early practice matches before he was injured.Whatever the positives that the Bulldogs saw in him prior to his drafting you would think that it is doubtful, because of his injury plagued season, whether the Club's decision could have been vindicated yet.

GVGjr
25-08-2008, 11:21 AM
I was thinking that because of the lack of game time that John Shaw has had maybe that is a better reason to keep him. Apparently he played well in the early practice matches before he was injured.Whatever the positives that the Bulldogs saw in him prior to his drafting you would think that it is doubtful, because of his injury plagued season, whether the Club's decision could have been vindicated yet.

He was a very good ruckman in the TAC but at 197cm he isn't big enough for the AFL unless he has the athletic prowess or marking power to be a handy resting FP as well.
I don't get to see them at training but he doesn't strike me as having those qualities.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2008, 11:25 AM
He was a very good ruckman in the TAC but at 197cm he isn't big enough for the AFL unless he has the athletic prowess or marking power to be a handy resting FP as well.
I don't get to see them at training but he doesn't strike me as having those qualities.

Fair enough. Have him at 198cm...but that is not here or there. Just thought that the jury might be still be out on him....keeping in mind too that we possibly might lose 2 ruckmen in Street & Skipper at years end.

The Underdog
25-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Thanks GVG. I find it intersting as Mulligan and White were genuine long term prospects when picked, but rookies often don't get much of a shot if they don't show something. With us only likely to have 3-4 picks in the draft this year and one destined to be Cordy, it will be interesting to see if they think there's enough potential in the rookie guys to hold onto any of them.

Bulldog Revolution
25-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks GVG. I find it intersting as Mulligan and White were genuine long term prospects when picked, but rookies often don't get much of a shot if they don't show something. With us only likely to have 3-4 picks in the draft this year and one destined to be Cordy, it will be interesting to see if they think there's enough potential in the rookie guys to hold onto any of them.

I would think they would hold onto Mulligan, he's just such a good size, and such a good athlete. Provided he his attitude is good he really is the ideal rookie prospect.

Shaw was very good in the VFL practice games when fit earlier in the season, he was the
1st ruckman when I saw them and I thought he was good, but whether he is athletic and big enough for the position I dont know

White I have not seen enough of to comment on.

Underdog I think you raise interesting issues for our draft strategy. I think our list still needs more grunt and I am hoping for less of Claytons speculative lightly built prospects this year.

Sedat
25-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Interesting that both Thorp and Dowler were not even listed in Box Hill's best players - they rarely have this season.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Interesting that both Thorp and Dowler were not even listed in Box Hill's best players - they rarely have this season.
Maybe they need new homes.

GVGjr
25-08-2008, 06:54 PM

Thorp was well held by Tiller and Dowler never played.

GVGjr
25-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Maybe they need new homes.

I think Thorp needs to be given a run as a defender. He gets himself out of position as a forward but all the tools are there. He has a good size about him and is mobile but things just weren't working out for him on Saturday.

bornadog
25-08-2008, 06:59 PM
I think Thorp needs to be given a run as a defender. He gets himself out of position as a forward but all the tools are there. He has a good size about him and is mobile but things just weren't working out for him on Saturday.

He turns 20 later on this year, 194cm and 87kg, so needs to put on some muscle.

GVGjr
25-08-2008, 09:27 PM
He turns 20 later on this year, 194cm and 87kg, so needs to put on some muscle.

That might be a little deceptive. He is a bit lean but didn't look skinny at all.

GVGjr
25-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Fair enough. Have him at 198cm...but that is not here or there. Just thought that the jury might be still be out on him....keeping in mind too that we possibly might lose 2 ruckmen in Street & Skipper at years end.

Thats a very good point and one that I probably didn't consider. We can have 4 rookies, depending on how many veterans we have, and if O'Shea gets rookie listed that would fill up the positions leaving Mulligan and Shaw another season to impress. That might be worth considering.

The Underdog
26-08-2008, 10:43 AM

I'm surprised they haven't done this already with their dearth of tall backs and surplus of tall forwards. Dowler doesn't strike me as anything other than a forward, Thorp seems versatile enough to play both ends though. I guess the Hawks know him well enough to know if he's capable of it though.