PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, but NO!!!

bulldogtragic
24-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Both teams giving Braun a guard of honour. Sorry, this should be reserved for the absolute elite of the game.

Decent player, but a guard of honour from both clubs. No. No. No.

No brownlow, no coleman, no tuck medal, no norm smith, no best and fairest, i'm pretty sure no all-australian.

I don't want this to be so common place it loses all meaning. No. No. No.

1eyedog
24-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Didn't see it but I agree. A solid contributor to his club and nothing more. There is still a dark cloud above his head as well as far as I am concerned.

hujsh
24-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Didn't see it but I agree. A solid contributor to his club and nothing more. There is still a dark cloud above his head as well as far as I am concerned.

Aka's opinion doesn't count for much in term of evidence

bornadog
24-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Both teams giving Braun a guard of honour. Sorry, this should be reserved for the absolute elite of the game.

Decent player, but a guard of honour from both clubs. No. No. No.

No brownlow, no coleman, no tuck medal, no norm smith, no best and fairest, i'm pretty sure no all-australian.

I don't want this to be so common place it loses all meaning. No. No. No.

Dead right, that is a joke.

1eyedog
24-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Aka's opinion doesn't count for much in term of evidence

No it doesn't, unfortunately for Braun it came out at the wrong time what with all that was happening at the Eagles. The media blew it up of course.

ledge
24-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Harvey YES!!! Braun ??

GVGjr
24-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I'll cast a vote in the other direction. He has done enough to deserve that honor. He wasn't found to be guilty of the innuendo so that shouldn't come into question. He was a good above average footballer.

hujsh
24-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Depends how many games he played and how loved he is

LostDoggy
24-08-2008, 10:08 PM
A guard of honour for being an EPO or equivalent user and getting away with it.

Seriously its the Footy Show line of thinking-anyone thats played the game is a champion or a 'great man'

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-08-2008, 11:04 PM
A guard of honour for being an EPO or equivalent user and getting away with it.

Seriously its the Footy Show line of thinking-anyone thats played the game is a champion or a 'great man'

With respect Ern, Braun has never been convicted of any doping offense, and it's unfair for him to be tarred with the brush of a drug cheat based on innuendo and an unsubstantiated accusation by another player.

The issue of a guard of honour is another thing though, not sure he is that good a player to have had this bestowed upon him. Then again it's not as if there are any concrete criteria set for this though.

LostDoggy
24-08-2008, 11:06 PM
With respect Ern, Braun has never been convicted of any doping offense, and it's unfair for him to be tarred with the brush of a drug cheat based on innuendo and an unsubstantiated accusation by another player.
Might be accusation by another but I believe him.
Aker talks a lot but its usually spot on.

Pembleton
25-08-2008, 03:03 AM
His opponents respect what he has done in the game, and wanted to show it. Nothing else enters into it, and nor should it. FWIW, after 228 games, and 12 years at AFL level, i think it is mean spirited to begrudge him whatever respectful gesture his opponents feel like bestowing on him.

Steve Kretiuk was subject to a similar gesture by the Lions, who stayed out on the ground and waited and clapped him whilst Kritter did a lap of honour. I don't remember any dogs fans thinking that was over the top, and Braun played 58 more games than Kritter.

1eyedog
25-08-2008, 12:38 PM
I'll cast a vote in the other direction. He has done enough to deserve that honor. He wasn't found to be guilty of the innuendo so that shouldn't come into question. He was a good above average footballer.

May as well guard of honour everyone who plays over x amount of games. Good above average footballers should not get a guard of honour. Kinda like handing out Pour Le Merites just prior to Waterloo or Iron Crosses in the last few days of WWII. They are not deserved.

Bulldog Revolution
25-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I side with GVG and Pembleton here.

Whilst Braun may not have won the universal praise of the football media he has been a terrific player for the West Coast Eagles. And the media agencies that leaked the Aka naming Braun story was just appalling conduct.

For my money Braun is a guy who consistently got the most out of his ability. The more players like him a club has the better off it is. The same way we (as Bulldogs) appreciated the contributions that Kretiuk, Croft, Garlick etc made to the club the Eagles recognise one of their own, who never craved the spotlight but was a very good player.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 12:54 PM
May as well guard of honour everyone who plays over x amount of games. Good above average footballers should not get a guard of honour. Kinda like handing out Pour Le Merites just prior to Waterloo or Iron Crosses in the last few days of WWII. They are not deserved.
Hasn't Eagleton played more games than Braun.

Sign the petition now at www.aguardforthebaldeagle.com.au

Exactly, it's not an attack personally on Braun rather the sentiment behind the action of two clubs offering a guard of honour. I.e. England gave Langer a guard of honour but i didn't see India giving Brad Hogg one.

1eyedog
25-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Braun has played 216 day games. Some players between 200-216 games.

Michael Sexton
Damian Monkhurst
Sean Wellman
Shane O Bree
Brendan Lade
Scott McIvor
Ben Dixon
Greg Stafford
Jarrad Schofield
Nathan Brown (WB, Rich)
Steven King
Mark Johnson

All deserve guards of honour? They are all good, above average players, you have to be to play 200 but please let's save it for the elite, it really takes the shine of it and discredits guys like Harvey and Johnno when they've had one.

1eyedog
25-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Hasn't Eagleton played more games than Braun.
Sign the petition now at www.aguardforthebaldeagle.com.au

Exactly, it's not an attack personally on Braun rather the sentiment behind the action of two clubs offering a guard of honour. I.e. England gave Langer a guard of honour but i didn't see India giving Brad Hogg one.

Yes 232 I believe

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes 232 I believe
Then it's national holiday if he's played more than Braun :)

'Eagleton Day', celebrated on the third Wednesday of June annually.

Seriously, would you expect Adelaide to guard of honour him off if he reitred this weekend.

1eyedog
25-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Then it's national holiday if he's played more than Braun :)

'Eagleton Day', celebrated on the third Wednesday of June annually.

Seriously, would you expect Adelaide to guard of honour him off if he reitred this weekend.

exactly and while members will disagree he has been as servicable as Braun has been

ledge
25-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Think Port Power would give him a guard of honor, remember what he came back from.

LostDoggy
25-08-2008, 07:51 PM
I dont think Braun would of got the 'guard of honour' if Akermanis never accused him of taking drugs. Poor form by Aker

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I dont think Braun would of got the 'guard of honour' if Akermanis never accused him of taking drugs. Poor form by Aker
When did Aker actually 'out' Braun???

My memory of it was the media ran with it.

hujsh
25-08-2008, 09:13 PM
When did Aker actually 'out' Braun???

My memory of it was the media ran with it.

Jerry is right when he said Aka accused him but he didn't out him to the media as you said.

Aka did nothing wrong it was the company place thingy that leaked it