PDA

View Full Version : Round 22 - The season proper over, whose career ends

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 12:47 AM
By now the club is looking at least three kids in the draft never mind more or trades.

The club in due diligence would have made it's mind up with some players. I can't imagine there would be any time left to redeem themselves in a few weeks, bearing in mind the team wont change dramatically in the finals.

I am not suggesting any of the names in the poll i think should go, but rather have them there for voting.

Doogs is gone. To be in the poll you should nominate at least two more players and any commentary would be good.

For me:

Doogs retired
O'Shea delisted and to the rookie list
Skipper delisted
West retired
Street to be traded

Wight very lucky and Lynch depending on behaviour and whether he has redeemed himself.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Can mods please edit the poll to reflect multi-voting???? Please....

westdog54
25-08-2008, 03:34 AM
In this order:
Doogs retired.
Lynch Delisted.
O'Shea Rookied.
Eagleton Retired.
Wight offered for trade.

Lynch has been overtaken far too rapidly for my liking. He's gone from making a senior debut to languishing behind (in no particular order) Harbrow, Ward, O'Keefe, Reid, Stack and Hill for a senior spot, and seems to not be improving at Williamstown. Will be lucky to survive the chop.

O'Shea has fallen away a bit this year but given some of the attributes he's shown already, namely his courage and willingness to attack the ball and his ablilities as a defender, I think there's enough there to warrant a spot on the rookie list, particularly with Gavin Hughes' spot freed up. Having said this, one of Shaw or Mulligan might be unlucky.

Eagle has been a wonderful servant for the club but his best is well and truly past him. At his age he simply can't afford to rely on shots on the run from outside 50 as his only weapon. He's had 9 years on the list to improve the defensive side of his game and simply hasn't.

A little disclaimer here: I rate Cam Wight as a player and believe he has the tools to make it at the top level. But like Power and McMahon before him, I get the feeling that a change of scenery might be the best thing for player and club. I'd love for him to stay, but wouldn't be saddened to see him move on.

I'm not keen on the idea of trading Street this year as I wouldn't want Cordy thrown to the lions if Hudson/Minson were injured. Having said that I haven't delisted Skipper in my scenario so there is some back-up there.

GVGjr
25-08-2008, 08:09 AM

I don't think this can be done. I'll check it out a bit later

Go_Dogs
25-08-2008, 10:21 AM
It really depends how many picks we want, and although the staff probably already have a fair idea, the finish to the season will be important for some players who are playing for their careers.

With McDougall gone, Skipper and West seem the other more likely candidates. Out of the young players both O'Shea and Lynch haven't improved on last year, in some cases gone backwards, so they could also come under pressure.

Street is an interesting one, and I think his future is more dependent on what he wants. He's never going to be a star ruckmen, but he's a good 3rd option.

Eagleton I think will get another year, but next year he'll certainly come under pressure to retain his spot in the side, and ultimately the list.

Mofra
25-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Poor Skipper (who I don't mind) is probably gone, simply due to age.
Street will be in trouble - I'm not sure we will keep many/any "back-up" players on our list, especially single position types.
Sadly, I think West may get the tap on the shoulder if he can't play this season & is no chance to complete a decent pre-season. The injury appears to be chronic rather than acute which will count against him.

Not sure about offering Wight for a trade, he wont attract too much interest and could be used to plug holes all over the ground.
O'Shea is an interesting one - still playing Willy 2nds but was a bottom ager and our lack of fit talls may work in his favour.

bornadog
25-08-2008, 12:44 PM
OShea rookie
lynch - Gawn

The Doctor
25-08-2008, 12:57 PM
We still have a finals series and we are involved at 3 levels. This could make or break a few.

As it currently stands, my thoughts;

Mcdougall - delisted
Lynch - delisted
O'Shea - delisted
Wight - delisted
West - retired

Undecided on Eagle and Skipper at the moment.

In a year where it is a strong draft and the last one in some time to be uncompromised an extra pick or two at the expense of those who are struggling may be the way to go.

ledge
25-08-2008, 01:01 PM
All this depends on what players Scott Clayton has earmarked in the draft or to pick up in trading and whats available.
Eg, If in our position in draft tells us there will be no ruckman of any calibre then i imagine Street would still be here next year.
Was just thinking, they say finishing 2nd or 3rd make no difference, well its one up in the draft selection, I say we tank the last game.
As far as an abundance of certain players is concerned in the draft and what we have coming up, i will be surprised if West plays again, this year we have ended up in the top 3 without him, retire him off and get him doing something more valuable and thats teaching our centres.
Eagle, I would imagine Ward or Higgins are his dangers.
Lynch sadly will probably go after looking real good last year, he could be good for trade as we all know he has the goods but the brain isnt right. Use the change of scenery excuse.
Skipper i would love to see given another season floating around the forward line in the seniors, he can mark and kick.
But certainly gone after next year if still copping injuries.
With Ayce coming in next year we seem to have an abundance of talls but just not quite up to AFL level.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 01:18 PM
All this depends on what players Scott Clayton has earmarked in the draft or to pick up in trading and whats available.
Eg, If in our position in draft tells us there will be no ruckman of any calibre then i imagine Street would still be here next year.
Was just thinking, they say finishing 2nd or 3rd make no difference, well its one up in the draft selection, I say we tank the last game.
As far as an abundance of certain players is concerned in the draft and what we have coming up, i will be surprised if West plays again, this year we have ended up in the top 3 without him, retire him off and get him doing something more valuable and thats teaching our centres.
Eagle, I would imagine Ward or Higgins are his dangers.
Lynch sadly will probably go after looking real good last year, he could be good for trade as we all know he has the goods but the brain isnt right. Use the change of scenery excuse.
Skipper i would love to see given another season floating around the forward line in the seniors, he can mark and kick.
But certainly gone after next year if still copping injuries.
With Ayce coming in next year we seem to have an abundance of talls but just not quite up to AFL level.
Love the tanking idea, but it will depend on where we finish in the finals, not the top 8 for finalist draft picks.

ledge
25-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Love the tanking idea, but it will depend on where we finish in the finals, not the top 8 for finalist draft picks.

Well there goes that idea!

Mantis
25-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I think we need to keep O'Shea at the club whether on the main list or rookie him. He was drafted from nowhere and to give him just 2 years is very harsh.

If Lynch's attitude has improved I think we keep him for another year, he has the physical attributes which could make him a valuable player.

Street has to go, it's all well and good to say he is back-up, but the truth is that he is a gumby who looks out of place on an AFL ground. He has dominated all year in the VFL, but looked terrible a few weeks back in the AFL.

West is finished, it's sad, but it's the fact.

Not sure on Skipper or Wight, need to keep one of them. Wight probably gets the nod as he can go back.

Topdog
25-08-2008, 01:40 PM

Tried and failed

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks for trying, but the explanations in the posts are excellent, From early on WOOF says Street, West, Skipper & Lynch to go with Doogs. Possibly O'Shea to the rookie list.

ledge
25-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Tiller anyone?

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Tiller anyone?
Not for me. Has improvement left. Afterall he was taken a year early. Good size and movement, just needs to take the first option. Needs to be used forward and more attacking.

Hold.

GVGjr
25-08-2008, 07:32 PM
We still have a finals series and we are involved at 3 levels. This could make or break a few.

Mcdougall - delisted
Lynch - delisted
O'Shea - delisted
Wight - delisted
West - retired

I pretty much agree with this although I think O'Shea will not be completely lost to the club.
It also comes down to Wight or Skipper and depending on the trade period might determine of one or both of them are moved on. I think they would be more likely to stick with Wight than Skipper.

I wonder if Street will want to stay on for another season as a back-up

hujsh
25-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I pretty much agree with this although I think O'Shea will not be completely lost to the club.
It also comes down to Wight or Skipper and depending on the trade period might determine of one or both of them are moved on. I think they would be more likely to stick with Wight than Skipper.

I wonder if Street will want to stay on for another season as a back-up

I think a young kid could produce the same level of performance as Street so I'd rather not keep him

GVGjr
25-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I had a bit of a chat to some of the guys on the weekend and I am of the belief that we are looking at 5 (possibly 6) changes and I believe that we have a draft smokey well and truly in our sight.

BulldogBelle
25-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I had a bit of a chat to some of the guys on the weekend and I am of the belief that we are looking at 5 (possibly 6) changes and I believe that we have a draft smokey well and truly in our sight.

That's good, will be interesting to see who we pick up. Especially as it is Clayton's last draft with us. Thanks for the info GVG as always much appreciated.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Doogs
Lynch
Skipper
O'Shea (Rookie)
West (retired) and/or Street traded for a pick

As best as i can get to making up 5 or 6.

wb_age
25-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm surprised so many have written off Lynch so early and in particular those who suggest he has a bad attitude.
From what i can recall, the coaching staff have actually implied quite the opposite and when he was recruited there were big wraps with regard to his matureness etc.

Also, hasn't he been injured for just about the whole season with some kind of hamstring/back related injury that the club only recently disclosed to the general public?

Personally, I was really impressed with him last preseason and would be quite disappointed if he was cut from the list so soon. IMO he has shown far more than Stack, just hasn't been able to get his body right. Suprised nobody has mention stack as a possibilty either.

Am I the only one who fails to see his potential?

Mantis
25-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm surprised so many have written off Lynch so early and in particular those who suggest he has a bad attitude.
From what i can recall, the coaching staff have actually implied quite the opposite and when he was recruited there were big wraps with regard to his matureness etc.

Also, hasn't he been injured for just about the whole season with some kind of hamstring/back related injury that the club only recently disclosed to the general public?

Personally, I was really impressed with him last preseason and would be quite disappointed if he was cut from the list so soon. IMO he has shown far more than Stack, just hasn't been able to get his body right. Suprised nobody has mention stack as a possibilty either.

Am I the only one who fails to see his potential?

You have failed to be told the real story in regards to Lynch.

wb_age
25-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Care to enlighten me.

PM perhaps.

strebla
26-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Doogs
Skipper
Lynch
Street
O'shea on rookie list
must keep Cam Wight

Go_Dogs
26-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Mcdougall - delisted
Lynch - delisted
O'Shea - delisted
Wight - delisted
West - retired

Undecided on Eagle and Skipper at the moment.

In a year where it is a strong draft and the last one in some time to be uncompromised an extra pick or two at the expense of those who are struggling may be the way to go.

Interesting that you have Wight being moved on and Skipper staying Doc. I'm almost convinced it will be the other way.

Would have thought that Wight has probably shown more than Skipper, and still has more upside than him too.

Dancin' Douggy
26-08-2008, 03:05 PM
As a team we have been crying out for more height in defense and attack for years.
Skipper's had 8 years on the list. Wight's had 6. Tillers had 4.
Despite our obvious need for talls none of them can hold down a senior spot.
In a word. GONE. All of them.
Delisted or traded.

Eagleton should go but won't want to.
West should give his knee a proper rest over summer and play another year (maybe more).
Street will be desperate to be traded but it's kind of good having him in the wings if we need him.
There's no one else to turn to if Will or Hudson go down or need a rest.
Lynch. Mmmm. Another chance I think.
O'Shea on to rookie list. (great idea)

Bulldog Revolution
26-08-2008, 06:16 PM
As a team we have been crying out for more height in defense and attack for years.
Skipper's had 8 years on the list. Wight's had 6. Tillers had 4.
Despite our obvious need for talls none of them can hold down a senior spot.
In a word. GONE. All of them.
Delisted or traded.

Eagleton should go but won't want to.
West should give his knee a proper rest over summer and play another year (maybe more).
Street will be desperate to be traded but it's kind of good having him in the wings if we need him.
There's no one else to turn to if Will or Hudson go down or need a rest.
Lynch. Mmmm. Another chance I think.
O'Shea on to rookie list. (great idea)

Unfortunately Skips year has been ruined by injury - the coaching staff have to decide if there is a role for him when fit or not and make the call. Wight is really at the crossroads and the finals may decide his career.

Tiller is very close to the most improved player on the list in the past 18 months and is certain to be retained, I acknowledge he still needs to improve more if he is going to be a regular senior player.

Eagle has more than his share of doubters amongst our fans, but he has taken on a smaller role (bench player) this year and been a solid contributor - he's played like every senior game for the past 4 seasons. Whilst he is closer to the end than the start I think its a bit premature to expect this to be his last year.

The Doctor
27-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Interesting that you have Wight being moved on and Skipper staying Doc. I'm almost convinced it will be the other way.

Would have thought that Wight has probably shown more than Skipper, and still has more upside than him too.

You may be right.

From my observations I think Skip is a better footballer. His fate may well be linked with whatever may happen to Street as I doubt both will go.

mjp
27-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Given the change in the draft age and the addition of the GC, I think we need 6 picks this year.

Delist:

- McDougall (well, he has retired anyway).
- O'Shea (try and rookie list I guess, but is he ever going to be a strong every week contributor).
- Wight (see O'Shea without the rookie list option. Has some talent, but not a 22 week AFL player).
- Street (Not sure what value he is adding now. He is a backup only and nearing 30).
- Lynch (Passed by too many others. Small, light framed and lacking in commitment).
- Skipper (Like Wight, has never been able to nail a spot. Too small to play in the position he has the most aptitude for (ruck) which is a shame for him I guess).

West can make his own decision. We should back him in if he wants to go again - he has had two bad years injury wise (1996 and 2008) in his career...that said, he is not going to get any better so I would understand if he was encouraged to retire.

bornadog
27-08-2008, 04:50 PM

5 to 6, well we have to put on our thinking caps now.

bornadog
27-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Given the change in the draft age and the addition of the GC, I think we need 6 picks this year.

Delist:

- O'Shea (try and rookie list I guess, but is he ever going to be a strong every week contributor).
- Wight (see O'Shea without the rookie list option. Has some talent, but not a 22 week AFL player).
- Street (Not sure what value he is adding now. He is a backup only and nearing 30).
- Lynch (Passed by too many others. Small, light framed and lacking in commitment).
- Skipper (Like Wight, has never been able to nail a spot. Too small to play in the position he has the most aptitude for (ruck) which is a shame for him I guess).

West can make his own decision. We should back him in if he wants to go again - he has had two bad years injury wise (1996 and 2008) in his career...that said, he is not going to get any better so I would understand if he was encouraged to retire.

Thats five talls (including OShea)

Mantis
27-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Thats five talls (including OShea)

But realistically are these talls ever going to improve our team?

We have to cut our losses at some stage.

bornadog
27-08-2008, 05:00 PM
But realistically are these talls ever going to improve our team?

We have to cut our losses at some stage.

Agree, but need replacements.

Go_Dogs
27-08-2008, 05:04 PM

Delist:

Interesting analysis, and probably one that is pretty accurate...

On a side note I guess, do you feel that there is such a thing as too much turn-over of a list mjp? Reason I ask is over the past few years we have done a pretty big clean out of the list and drafted a lot of young players.

And a guy like O'Shea, who was picked up very bottom aged in 2006, so in essence this year is like his first on the senior list (he wouldn't have been much older than a lot of the kids we drafted in 2007) seems to have not really been given much time to develop, especially as a taller player. His performances this year have not been outstanding, but what would the club expect of a tall in his 'first' year on the senior list?

Is that simply the reality now, that if you can't show that you'll be a 200 game AFL player in your first couple of years that you get moved on?

What about a player like Lynch, who initially seemed to me the most likely of our 2006 bunch to actually make it, due to his maturity and seemingly having his head screwed on pretty well?

Sure, he blew his chance this year by not working hard enough over the pre-season and subsequently getting injured, and basically not being able to get on the park, but he played some OK footy in his first year, and surely is aware that such a performance wouldn't be tolerated again.

Especially if we're getting really close to a flag (like it appears we are) is it really worth moving on blokes who could have an impact next year and the year after in favor of more kids who'll probably need a few years in the system to adapt?

FWIW, I'm all for de-listing a few of the older guys mentioned, as they have all had pretty good chances to make a fist of it. Some of the younger guys, to me at least, it seems a bit pre-mature. But I guess without being in the inner-sanction and knowing everything they know, it's hard to asses....

(Long post, sorry!)

mjp
27-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Well, my concern with the 'too much turnover' theory - and there is something to say for it - is that if there are players on the list who the coaching staff wouldn't be comfortable playing then they shouldn't be on the list. I know O'Shea is still only young, but he was a late, speculative pick...to me, there is simply no way he could play AFL footy in 2009, therefore he should be on the Rookie list at best. And I dont think it is a matter of showing you could be a 200-game player, but with lists as small as they are you simply cannot afford to carry more that 6-8 'non-contributors'. If you add three draftee's to our current list of Grant, Boumann, Wood, O'Keefe, Reid, Ward, Lynch, Stack, O'Shea, Lynch et al (and I know Cal Ward has played a couple of games) then you can see that they simply cannot ALL remain on the list.

I guess I am surprised players like Eagleton are suggested as delisting targets...he either needs to be traded (and I doubt anyone else would want him) or kept for depth...we simply have no depth at the club, and our list really falls away from about player 15 on. I think we need to get as many early picks as possible and try and add a little bit of class into the group...trade picks, trade players, trade whatever but get into that top echelon of the draft.

Mantis
27-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I guess I am surprised players like Eagleton are suggested as delisting targets...he either needs to be traded (and I doubt anyone else would want him) or kept for depth...we simply have no depth at the club, and our list really falls away from about player 15 on. I think we need to get as many early picks as possible and try and add a little bit of class into the group...trade picks, trade players, trade whatever but get into that top echelon of the draft.

But to to get those early picks we will need to give away player/s the average supporter will want to keep, but I agree that we might have to break up the list a little to achieve this.

We need to add some real quality to our list and as this year might be the last time we can do it for "x" amount of years we have to act now.

bornadog
27-08-2008, 06:00 PM
But to to get those early picks we will need to give away player/s the average supporter will want to keep, but I agree that we might have to break up the list a little to achieve this.

We need to add some real quality to our list and as this year might be the last time we can do it for "x" amount of years we have to act now.

I guess the first thing is to work out what type of players we need, then work out who we can trade that we either don't need or who have excess of, or have replacements coming through.

We need:

Young Ruckman
CHF/FF
Replacements for ageing players ready to fill roles in 2010 - Johnno, Aker, Eagle, Hudson, Welsh, West

In other words a succession plan.

Sockeye Salmon
27-08-2008, 10:37 PM

Delist:

They were the exact same 6 I came up with although I am worried about what would happen next year if Hudson or Minson went down.

I'd even consider having a look at a 22-25yo ruckman who hasn't quite got there and think about whether he could turn it around (is Laycock too big of a gumby?).

Whether we draft another ruckman depends on whether they think Mulligan or Shaw are worth hanging on to.

I'd like to see another KP for either end and some genuine pace.

I hear were looking at Mitch Banner - which is fine, there's no such thing as having too many good players - but any other midfielders would need to have real speed.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2008, 10:58 PM
They were the exact same 6 I came up with although I am worried about what would happen next year if Hudson or Minson went down.

I'd even consider having a look at a 22-25yo ruckman who hasn't quite got there and think about whether he could turn it around (is Laycock too big of a gumby?).

Whether we draft another ruckman depends on whether they think Mulligan or Shaw are worth hanging on to.

I'd like to see another KP for either end and some genuine pace.

I hear were looking at Mitch Banner - which is fine, there's no such thing as having too many good players - but any other midfielders would need to have real speed.
I think many (certainly not all) thought Petrie was a gumby too.

But Laycock shouldn't be playing AFL let alone VFL. I would be surprised to see him in the AFL next year myself.

Sockeye Salmon
27-08-2008, 11:10 PM
I think many (certainly not all) thought Petrie was a gumby too.

But Laycock shouldn't be playing AFL let alone VFL. I would be surprised to see him in the AFL next year myself.

I thought Cameron Cloke was just about the worst player I had ever seen but he's been serviceable this year.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I thought Cameron Cloke was just about the worst player I had ever seen but he's been serviceable this year.
Yeah that's what tears me into two streams of thinking. If we don't have Street we don't have a back-up. Skipper is not a ruckman in any terms. If Laycock was pick 84 or something perhaps on a salary of next to nothing.

Essentially it's no different than what Doogs was giving us this year, or last year. Or WCE the four years before that...

bornadog
28-08-2008, 12:06 AM
I am worried about what would happen next year if Hudson or Minson went down.

Well we would do what any other team would do, stick a kid in ruck - Mulligan, Ayce Cordy for example.

Go_Dogs
28-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Well, my concern with the 'too much turnover' theory - and there is something to say for it - is that if there are players on the list who the coaching staff wouldn't be comfortable playing then they shouldn't be on the list. I know O'Shea is still only young, but he was a late, speculative pick...to me, there is simply no way he could play AFL footy in 2009, therefore he should be on the Rookie list at best. And I dont think it is a matter of showing you could be a 200-game player, but with lists as small as they are you simply cannot afford to carry more that 6-8 'non-contributors'. If you add three draftee's to our current list of Grant, Boumann, Wood, O'Keefe, Reid, Ward, Lynch, Stack, O'Shea, Lynch et al (and I know Cal Ward has played a couple of games) then you can see that they simply cannot ALL remain on the list.

Fair enough points, and I tend to agree that you can't have the list littered with players who aren't going to get on the park. I guess at this stage its fair to say O'Keefe, Reid, Ward, Stack and hopefully Grant and Wood will all be looking to have a say in the senior side next year, although there are no absolute guarantees. At this stage Ward seems the one most likely to play some serious senior footy. That leaves us looking ok for having a fair few selections at the draft, particularly if Lynch and O'Shea are moved off the senior list.

The thing that scares me though is a lot of the players will be young guys, Higgins, Everitt, Williams, Hill, Harbrow, Ward, Addison, Callan etc are not guys with a lot of experience...we're really going to be fielding a pretty young side.

If we do go that route, I hope we take a few selections in the draft who are 'ready made' players who are going to be able to step up in their first year, or perhaps a bit older in the 20/21 bracket with a bit of SANFL or VFL experience...otherwise we'll be looking a bit thin in experience and proven, hard bodied players to really cash in over the next 1-2 years (but probably looking really good in the slightly longer term, 3-5 years).

Pretty interesting draft/list management time for the club this end of season...

bornadog
28-08-2008, 12:48 PM
The thing that scares me though is a lot of the players will be young guys, Higgins, Everitt, Williams, Hill, Harbrow, Ward, Addison, Callan etc are not guys with a lot of experience...we're really going to be fielding a pretty young side.

Interesting fact was last weeks game against Essendon, we had 14 players with 100 games or less and so did Essendon. Of those , Essendon had 8 with less than 50 and we had 7, so we are a fairly young side. 100 to 150 and 150 plus were even, ie, 4 and 4 for both clubs. I guess the nbig difference is our players with over 100 games are better than Essendon's. Just goes to show their list management has been pretty bad.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2008, 11:43 AM
BUMP.

I think we need 6 selections.

Name your six.

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Lynch, Street, O'Shea, West and McDougall all certainties to go. Others under the pump include Wight, Skipper and Eagleton depending if they are out of contract.

strebla
20-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Lynch, Street, O'Shea, West and McDougall all certainties to go. Others under the pump include Wight, Skipper and Eagleton depending if they are out of contract.

Skipper just re-signed Eagleton must go would keep wight

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2008, 12:22 PM

West doesn't count because he's on the veterans list.

Macdougall, Street, Wight, Lynch, O'Shea.

Ray will go but we will probably pick up a player for him so that cancels each other out.

If we must have 6 Eagleton would be next in line.

westdog54
20-09-2008, 01:39 PM
BUMP.

I think we need 6 selections.

Name your six.

McDougall
Street
Lynch
O'Shea (Rookie)
Eagleton

Number 6 is tricky.

If Ray is traded for a pick, then well and good.

If not, Cameron Wight might be the one. He'll need to watch trade week very very closely.

MrMahatma
21-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Doogs
West
Street
Ray
Eagleton
Wight
O'Shea (rookied)

We may cut even deeper and I wouldn't be surprised to see some unexpected names thrown up at trade time either - perhaps for picks.

GVGjr
21-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Doogs
West
Street
Ray
Eagleton
Wight
O'Shea (rookied)

We may cut even deeper and I wouldn't be surprised to see some unexpected names thrown up at trade time either - perhaps for picks.

It all depends on contract situations but McDougall, West, Lynch and O'Shea are either gone or close to going. Eagleton and Street could depend on their contracts but I think Street is out of contract.
I think Wight will survive and Ray will be trade material and wouldn't be delisted as such.

LostDoggy
22-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Tiller anyone?

YES - keep him, his finals effort shows merit and there are those out there that have not performed and I think this kid will make it if Eade will just let him settle in a set position as with a few other young kids

bulldogtragic
22-09-2008, 11:51 AM
YES - keep him, his finals effort shows merit and there are those out there that have not performed and I think this kid will make it if Eade will just let him settle in a set position as with a few other young kids
I know Clayton says it every year, but he did say he took Steve a year early knowing full-well his development would be slower (i.e. suddenly playing on men) because he believed he would go top 10 the following year.

I think Tiller is already miles in front of Skipper and Wight who have had twice as long as him.

The Underdog
22-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I haven't seen enough of O'Shea or Lynch to make a call on them but if Friday night showed me one thing it's that Eags should be let go, whether traded or delisted. We have a heap of young guys on the list who should be given an opportunity next year and I think while Eagleton has some good footy left in him he is essentially standing in the way of someone else's development. He's not a Johnson whose standing in the club mandates another year minumum or an Akermanis who we brought in fairly recently (I wouldn't be adverse to trading Aker if he could help get through a deal that would help us but I think he's probably too old for anyone else to want him).

Unfortunately I think Westy will be asked to walk. Street is gone. Wight is 50/50 but I'd let him go. Ray will most likely be used as a trade option. I honestly don't think we have enough that other teams will want to trade for or that in the crunch we will be willing to trade to pull off the kind of big trade we probably need, especially with our first pick committed to Cordy (most likely).

Sedat
22-09-2008, 01:37 PM
It would scare me if they were Gwilt, McQualter, Clinton Jones, Raph Clarke, Jaryd Allen and Robert Eddy. But our youth actually showed they are AFL quality during their careers to date, and more importantly in the heat of finals. Our best players in the finals were a mixture of 25-27 year olds (Cross, Lake, Morris, Hargy, etc..) and the under 22's (led by Griffen, and most of your list above including Tiller). That leads me to be comfortable with the quality of the majority of our list for the next 3-4 years.

Mofra
22-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I think Tiller is already miles in front of Skipper and Wight who have had twice as long as him.
On pure intensity I agree. He was playing Werribee reserves at the start of last year, and still needs to put on some kgs but is realistically our most improved player over the last season and a half (apologies to Harbrow & Hill).