PDA

View Full Version : Smokeys and re-treds

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Any players out there likely on a clubs scrap heap, or VFl, WAFL or SANFL that people would like.

Many on here talk about needing more grunt, or harder bodies, or certain types of players.

I'm on the record as saying Todd Grima at Glenelg.

Any other thoughts?

The Underdog
25-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Any players out there likely on a clubs scrap heap, or VFl, WAFL or SANFL that people would like.

Many on here talk about needing more grunt, or harder bodies, or certain types of players.

I'm on the record as saying Todd Grima at Glenelg.

Any other thoughts?

That James Podsiadly at Werribee seems to go alright and we need a big bodied tall forward.

ledge
25-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Would absolutely love to get Warnock from Freo but he is off to Melbourne i believe.
Jeff White i mentioned but had more negatives than positives thrown at it.
Probably pays to look at top sides due to salary cap, theyre fringe players are more likely to make it than a bottom sides fringe players.

Throughandthrough
25-08-2008, 01:50 PM
leave Todd at Glenelg please :)

Going very nicely thank you very much.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 01:52 PM
leave Todd at Glenelg please :)

Going very nicely thank you very much.
There has to be at least a rookie spot for him surely :)

LostDoggy
25-08-2008, 01:55 PM
That James Podsiadly at Werribee seems to go alright and we need a big bodied tall forward.

We should of had Pods on our list 4 years ago. I watch Werribee a fair bit and he dominates the VFL. Don't know why he never got a chance at VFL. Rate him quite highly.
Big kick, strong mark, fairly solid body and can run.

Throughandthrough
25-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Grimy Is a fantastic SANFL Footballer, but is a bit slow over the ground and can't play anywhere other then a key forward positon. Has a massive leap/great mark amd a great kick. Has also had an average run with injuries this year.

Is a top bloke though, and good luck to him, but it's very rare for a player to be out of the system for 1 year and then be re-called.

Personally i hope he's loving life/footy/job etc in Adelaide and stays here and leads my other club (Glenelg) to a few flags in the next 10 years!

ledge
25-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Grimy Is a fantastic SANFL Footballer, but is a bit slow over the ground and can't play anywhere other then a key forward positon. Has a massive leap/great mark amd a great kick.

Isnt that what we need?????

Throughandthrough
25-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I'll ask the opinion of a few mates who also watch him every week and get back to you.

I guess my only criticism is he's a little one dimensional.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 02:08 PM
I'll ask the opinion of a few mates who also watch him every week and get back to you.

I guess my only criticism is he's a little one dimensional.
Like Dunstall and Lockett :) :)

I know what you mean though T&T. That style of player may be gone in this version of athletics where a football is used between runners.

Rocket Science
25-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Brisbane can't seem to find a spot for '05 draftee Mitch Clarke...what d'ya think we could entice them with?

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Brisbane can't seem to find a spot for '05 draftee Mitch Clarke...what d'ya think we could entice them with?
Farren Ray (Or priority pick from WCE/Freo) and our 2nd rounder. Maybe, probably not. A very good player.

bornadog
25-08-2008, 06:44 PM
We should of had Pods on our list 4 years ago. I watch Werribee a fair bit and he dominates the VFL. Don't know why he never got a chance at VFL. Rate him quite highly.
Big kick, strong mark, fairly solid body and can run.

Not up to AFL standard.

Did have a preseason at Essendon and they decided against him.

Sedat
25-08-2008, 06:50 PM
I really like this guy...he almost slipped through to us in 2005 after flopping in the national U-18's (Brisbane got him at #9 and we got Higgins at #11 from memory), just like one L Franklin did the year before. If he can stay injury-free for a period of time, he will improve significantly. But I strongly suspect Brisbane rate him very highly and will not be parting with his services in a hurry - he would be part of the Brown/Bradshaw succession plan.

Dancin' Douggy
25-08-2008, 07:37 PM
He's not a retread or a smokey BUT..............

We should make a big play for Jared Roughhead. (don't know how to spell either name)
Maybe not this year but next year or the year after.
He must get sick of being ignored by the media and the Hawthorn midfield.
Sow the seeds of discontent, work away at him......
Trade some serious players / draft picks for him and have him as a 200+ game key position forward.
Talking about whom to trade will cause heartburn but we're such timid traders compared to someone like Sheedy. I think we should bite the bullet.

LostDoggy
25-08-2008, 07:48 PM
If i had to choose one 'reject', i would take Freo's Adam Campbell. Nice size and a good set of hands. 3-4th round pick. But would rather the club went for more kids

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 07:51 PM

We should make a big play for Jared Roughhead. (don't know how to spell either name)
Maybe not this year but next year or the year after.
He must get sick of being ignored by the media and the Hawthorn midfield.
Sow the seeds of discontent, work away at him......
Trade some serious players / draft picks for him and have him as a 200+ game key position forward.
Talking about whom to trade will cause heartburn but we're such timid traders compared to someone like Sheedy. I think we should bite the bullet.
Couldn't see them do it for any less than Adam Cooney.

Would you take that?

Mantis
25-08-2008, 08:01 PM

Why didn't you either google his name or check on a stats site so your post would be a bit more credible rather than be full of spelling mistakes?

Dancin' Douggy
25-08-2008, 08:08 PM
I have 3 kids and I'm cooking dinner

ledge
25-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Why didn't you either google his name or check on a stats site so your post would be a bit more credible rather than be full of spelling mistakes?

Wow we have 3 spelling nazis now, TCD, Get Dimma back and Mantis, must remember if spelling wrong, post has less credit.

Mantis
25-08-2008, 08:17 PM
I have 3 kids and I'm cooking dinner

Pathetic excuse seeing you have time to write 2 posts in the space of 10min which would have taken 10 or 15min, but not 5secs to type a name into google.

I can smell your tea burning....

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow we have 3 spelling nazis now, TCD, Get Dimma back and Mantis, must remember if spelling wrong, post has less credit.
Nazis should be with a capitol 'N' as it is a name. If you can not even get your grammer right... :)

GVGjr
25-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Lets get the thread back onto the subject

bulldogtragic
25-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Lets get the thread back onto the subject
Ok, here goes...

When with the bees avid watchers talked about their players as players we should target, ala Pods, Garth, etc, etc -

Now with the gulls are their any names avid watches wanted drafted, and how are their recycled ones going (i.e. Cloke and Urch).

Dogs 24/7
25-08-2008, 09:22 PM
What about that Jak Kennedy-Hunt from Werribee ? He kicked a bag in the reserves on the weekend and I seem to remember someone thinking highly of him.

GVGjr
25-08-2008, 09:31 PM
What about that Jak Kennedy-Hunt from Werribee ? He kicked a bag in the reserves on the weekend and I seem to remember someone thinking highly of him.

That might have been me. I had a good look at him last season with Werribee but I am somewhat disappointed that he hasn't been able to command a regular senior spot for Werribee this year. I think I have previously mentioned that if he was serious about becoming a league footballer then he should try and get trained by a sprints coach because whilst he isn't slow he would need to get a bit quicker to make an AFL list.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Surely Geelong will have to cull some fringe players again.

Callan for pick 60 or whatever has been good value. Surely we should be sniffing around for one or two???

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Surely Geelong will have to cull some fringe players again.

Callan for pick 60 or whatever has been good value. Surely we should be sniffing around for one or two???

How are we suppose to get better than Geelong if we take their rejects???

GVGjr
31-08-2008, 05:39 PM

I know what you mean but we don't necessarily have to get better than the Cats. The only team we have to get better than is the best team that we fielded the season prior. If you do that enough you will soon be the best side in the competition.

A couple of injuries at the wrong time can wreck any team, even one as good as the Cats.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Callan was a reject, and has improved our back half in my estimation.

There are very good players not getting games, who i think could get a game for us potentially. Worth exploring in my opinion. I'd rather Geelong's retreds than Melbourne's.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 05:40 PM

Not necessarily rejects, but good players that can't break into their best 22 and are not getting opportunities.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I know what you mean but we don't necessarily have to get better than the Cats. The only team we have to get better than is the best team that we fielded the season prior. If you do that enough you will soon be the best side in the competition.

A couple of injuries at the wrong time can wreck any team, even one as good as the Cats.

We do have to be better than the Cats! And we cant do that by taking recycled players.We have get better and smarter with our recruiting so we have a sustained period at the top of the ladder. That is why the retirement decision should be taken out of Wests and Eagletons hands.
Why cant we be better? Why should we have to wait to Geelong gets injury concerns?

GVGjr
31-08-2008, 07:45 PM
We do have to be better than the Cats! And we cant do that by taking recycled players.We have get better and smarter with our recruiting so we have a sustained period at the top of the ladder. That is why the retirement decision should be taken out of Wests and Eagletons hands.
Why cant we be better? Why should we have to wait to Geelong gets injury concerns?

Mooney, Harley and Ottens are all recycled players that have added significant value to the side so I don't for one minute believe that there is not some place for a needs based recycled player.
Never said that we can't be better than the Cats or any other side for that matter but the point I am making is that we need to be better than the best side that we could field the previous season. Too much emphasis is placed on mimicking successful sides when in fact if you can keep improving your own side over a few seasons you will in fact be the best side.

westdog54
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM

So who are the other 4 to go when you draft these 6 kids you keep going on about?

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Why dont we look at Williamstown..

I think we could recruit someone like David Stretton?

Not because i went to school with him or anything, thats a different story.

This guy is a midfielder, gets 30 posessions every week and is always in Willy's best..what is he doing wrong?

Good for VFL level for sure..someone should pick him up and give him a go in AFL..

Mofra
01-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Not up to AFL standard.

Did have a preseason at Essendon and they decided against him.
He was also at Sydney.

In both cases, he was fighting against Lloyd & Lockett respectively for the FF spot, fairly decent opposition. In any case, Pods' time has passed.

Bulldog Revolution
01-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Never said that we can't be better than the Cats or any other side for that matter but the point I am making is that we need to be better than the best side that we could field the previous season. Too much emphasis is placed on mimicking successful sides when in fact if you can keep improving your own side over a few seasons you will in fact be the best side.

This is an interesting point.

On that basis if Williams can stay fit we next season we will be fairly good

mjp
01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
This is an interesting point.

On that basis if Williams can stay fit we next season we will be fairly good

Williams and 'fit' dont belong in the same sentence. If we are counting on the future being different to the past, then we are foolish.

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 01:52 PM
What about the WAFL MJP?

Any potential older age recruits?

Brad Dalziel & Harry Taylor spring to mind as 2 'older' types that have made the transition to the AFL pretty well.

I have often thought that we would be better off looking at the SANFL or WAFL for some talent that is over 18, and have mature bodies.

Bit of a bugger that ABC2 are not putting the SANFL & WAFL replays on anyomore. I really enjoyed watching them. :mad:

bulldogtragic
01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Jared Rivers

Any takers?

Dancin' Douggy
01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Jared Rivers

Any takers?
Without doing any research my knee jerk reaction is yes.

westdog54
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Jared Rivers

Any takers?

Other than the fact he won the Rising Star I haven't seen enough of him to judge, I'll let others comment.

GVGjr
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Jared Rivers

Any takers?

You would have to be convinced that he was over his injury concerns but a couple of seasons back he was playing very well.

Is he on the outer at Melbourne?

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I wouldnt take Rivers.
I would think about swapping Ray to Freo for a early 2nd rounder and Adam Campbell though.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2008, 07:17 PM
You would have to be convinced that he was over his injury concerns but a couple of seasons back he was playing very well.

Is he on the outer at Melbourne?
No, but if a suitable trade came along, I'm sure we cold get Melbourne's interest.

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Rivers is going no where.
Besides he is as injured as much as Williams.
If he was on the market everyone and their dog will be after him.

westdog54
02-09-2008, 02:27 AM
I wouldnt take Rivers.
I would think about swapping Ray to Freo for a early 2nd rounder and Adam Campbell though.

You had him going to the Eagles with a pick for McKinley last week.

Desipura
02-09-2008, 09:33 AM
I would seriously look at Newton. He is a full fwd who can take a contested mark although his kicking lets him down. Seems to be out of favour therefore we would not pay overs for him.

LostDoggy
02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
There isn't a fire sale of their young players at Melbourne.
They just got rid of all their old.

LostDoggy
02-09-2008, 10:28 AM
You had him going to the Eagles with a pick for McKinley last week.

It looks like McKinley is about to sign up with WCE. But yes Westdog54, I would straight swap Farren for McKinley

GVGjr
02-09-2008, 11:14 AM
It looks like McKinley is about to sign up with WCE. But yes Westdog54, I would straight swap Farren for McKinley

That would be a very bad trade for us. Nothing against McKinley but he wouldn't be the answer for us,

LostDoggy
02-09-2008, 11:20 AM
That would be a very bad trade for us. Nothing against McKinley but he wouldn't be the answer for us,

Maybe so GVGjr. I think Mckinley will end up a pretty decent leading FF. I dont rate Farren, havnt rated him from day 1. I would be very happy to trade him to either WCE or Freo and keep pick 18-30 for the draft.

Sedat
02-09-2008, 11:23 AM
He's 184 cms and can't run out even half a game. He's basically 2 cms taller than Johnno and 4 cms shorter than both Hahn and Welsh - how he can help us with our need for a tall KP forward is beyond me. And he will cost an absolute bomb, coming off a 40 goal season and being 20 yo.

LostDoggy
02-09-2008, 11:35 AM
He's 184 cms and can't run out even half a game. He's basically 2 cms taller than Johnno and 4 cms shorter than both Hahn and Welsh - how he can help us with our need for a tall KP forward is beyond me. And he will cost an absolute bomb, coming off a 40 goal season and being 20 yo.

Good point Sedat. Johnson, Welsh, Akermanis and Hahn should play until their early 40's...
McKinley might be a good mix with Grant,Boumann,Higgins,Harbrow,Hill for the future.