PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Crows

GVGjr
30-08-2008, 08:14 AM
This is the discussion thread for this afternoons game against the Crows.

The Dogs by 14 points, Welsh for the first goal and Cooney for BOG honors.

Good luck to Sam Reid

The Underdog
30-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Dogs by 1 point
Griffen BOG
Gia first goal.
Sam Reid to acquit himself well.

The Coon Dog
30-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Ben Hudson first goal & the Dogs by 47 points.

bulldog
30-08-2008, 09:48 AM
dogs by 4points
akermanis 5 goals
lake bog
go sam reid

Mantis
30-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Not sure how to view this one, do we really care enough to fight this one out when our eyes will be fixed firmly on Hawthorn next week??

I will be more interested in how our fringe best 22 players go than how we go as a team.

I think the Crows have alot more to play for and will win by less than 3 goals.

1eyedog
30-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Yep Crows by up to 20 points. I'm really interested to see who will come into the side. Aker first goal, Cooney BOG.

bornadog
30-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Murphy first goal

Welsh to kick 6

Cross BOG

Good luck Reid

Dogs by 27points

LostDoggy
30-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Sitting here in Adelaide..coldish this morning, rained overnight n should rain more today hopefully not too much my seats ain't covered

Dogs by 33pts
Johnno first goal
Coons bog
Welsh with 4 against his old side

G-Mo77
30-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Not to sure on how they will go. I picked against them this week as a strategic pick. It's didn't work because the guy in the lead picked exactly the same. A scalp like Adelaide at home going into the finals would be a good one but in the end it doesn't really mean anything. All I want out of this is no injuries and our younger players to stand up and show they are worthy of a finals spot.

Dogs by 10 points
Cooney first goal
Cooney BOG

Happy Days
30-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Hopefully we'll kick into top gear this week

Dogs by 35
Welsh 1st Goal
Murph BOG

strebla
30-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I think the dogs by 25 Griff first goal and as always Coon B O G he loves playing the Crows and i think they kick themselves every time the see Coon and Griff

Max469
30-08-2008, 01:46 PM
All I want is no injuries please.

Dogs by 16 points

Murphy - 1st goal

Aker - BOG

BulldogBelle
30-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Dogs by 26 points.
BOG to Griffen
First goal - Brad Johnson

Go_Dogs
30-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Just about to head off...it's cold and raining so hopefully that is good news for us. Won't help our skills, but at least we shouldn't get belted like I normally get to see down here against the Crows.

Really looking forward to seeing the zones, and positioning over the whole field, how we're creating the space and working into it...always gives a different perspective to that on TV.

I've tipped the Crows, by 3-4 goals. First goal to Griff, BOG Cross (the conditions will suit him today I think).

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm pretty confident the group will be switched on today, its hard not to want to be up when there are finals to be played for

Adelaide make everything a tough game, they are well drilled, and so I dont think we will smash them but I predict a very good performance

The Coon Dog
30-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Hudson out (Skipper in) so I'll go for Murph for first goal.

strebla
30-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Big test for skip I hope he does well .
whats wrong with Hudson ??

Scorlibo
30-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Dogs by 8 points. Johnno first goal. Cooney bog in the best game of his career.:)

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Good luck to Skip - he's due for some luck

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Reid starting on the ground getting an early touch as Harbrow gets the first

It's been a while since I've soaked a bit of 5AA barracking

G-Mo77
30-08-2008, 05:30 PM
I've never seen Reid. He's a fairly solid looking guy

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2008, 05:34 PM

He's solid for a 1st year kid, but not for an afl player I wouldn't have thought,

I think he'll grow into a similar shape to Judd - 6 foot 1/2 ruck rover type

Topdog
30-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Harbrow is an animal. Such brilliant closing speed.

We are really up and about today. This game has the feel of many early season games where a team would stay with us for the 1st quarter a and a bit before we kick away.

ledge
30-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Reid, gotta love his first kick, how nervous was he?
Dont think weather suits us, but doing ok up to 1/4 time.

G-Mo77
30-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I really like what I am seeing right now. This is the type of football we played at the start of the year, constant pressure, strong tackling, disposal is not as good but it's wet so I'm not going to get on them for that. Hopefully they can keep it going for 4 quarters and ruin Adelaide's chances of making the 4.

Rocket Science
30-08-2008, 05:47 PM

Interesting...he's been bodied out of a few contest...seems eager enough though.

Heartening to see our blokes applying consistent pressure again...Harbrow the standout in that regard to quarter time...Positive signs across the board.

Gilbee and Eagleton busy early...Skip playing for his career perhaps?

The Pie Man
30-08-2008, 05:51 PM
A really positive first qtr

* Reid with a hard at it debut (besides some sloppy disposal - forgivable in the conditions)
* Aka & Harbrow providing plenty of pressure
* Callan (who I've been somewhat critical of recently) has had it a heap
* Eagleton hard at it...yes, Eagleton
* Griffen off half back working for me, it's where he's played his best footy
* Higgins also progressing in his comeback

Feel for Skip getting an opportunity in these conditions, but even he's done a couple of nice things.

Really pleasing workrate and endeavour shown for a round 22 fixture.

The Pie Man
30-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Interesting...he's been bodied out of a few contest...seems eager enough though.

Heartening to see our blokes applying consistent pressure again...Harbrow the standout in that regard to quarter time...Positive signs across the board.

Gilbee and Eagleton busy early...Skip playing for his career perhaps?

Maybe, and he'd spew to get a day like this for a day like that - at least he gets the opportunity though.

Lake reported - looks a soft report for mine.

Topdog
30-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Any chance of that report sticking? Surely thrown out on Monday.

G-Mo77
30-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Piss weak decision by that idiot umpire, not even worthy of looking at.

Topdog
30-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Mark of the year? Big Gill.

The Pie Man
30-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Any chance of that report sticking? Surely thrown out on Monday.

You'd think so - was horrified to hear 'Lake reported' then saw the replay and my fears were alleviated.

What a grab in those conditions

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Haven't heard much of Cooney

The adelaide zone is always hard to navigate

Topdog
30-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Hill has to learn how to finish those. Seriously exciting talent.

I cant' believe they are letting Gilbee have so much of the ball.

Topdog
30-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Haven't heard much of Cooney

The adelaide zone is always hard to navigate

Heavy tag but he has had enough of it. Lots of hard work in the middle of packs from him.

G-Mo77
30-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Sometimes they good playing wet weather football and know exactly how to play it and then times they are playing like they were at the TD. Just banging it forward is the best option at times, no need to be to cute.

ledge
30-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Yes halftime and you can tell these players dont know how to play wet weather footy.

bornadog
30-08-2008, 06:23 PM
I reckon I yelled 'Just kick the ****ing thing!!!!!!!!!' about a dozen times.

Me too, I have forgotten how bad it is to watch a match in the wet. They are playing dry weather footy in the wet.

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2008, 06:24 PM
I reckon I yelled 'Just kick the ****ing thing!!!!!!!!!' about a dozen times.

Rocket is good at getting the group to make adjustments and tweaking game styles etc so I know its being captain obvious but I think we'll get it right in the second half

We just need to play 2 good quarters, keep our prime movers involved, and get shots on goal

bornadog
30-08-2008, 06:25 PM
The press are saying it's a hamstring.

This is Skippers big chance, otherwise we have to go with Street:eek:

bornadog
30-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Rocket is good at getting the group to make adjustments and tweaking game styles etc so I know its being captain obvious but I think we'll get it right in the second half

We just need to play 2 good quarters, keep our prime movers involved, and get shots on goal

Need a big third quarter with the wind.

Rocket Science
30-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Bruising condidtions...Need to simplify our game a little as a result. Endeavour's still pretty good across the board but skill errors when under little-to-no pressure aren't helping the cause.

Adelaide kicked 9 behinds that quarter and should probably be in front, but we rallied late thanks a goal from Gilbs (first half BOG for mine).

I wish Skip a long a fruitful career at WAFL level...just too casual in everything he does...Eagleton very involved...loving Harbrow's 2nd and 3rd efforts without the footy...Hill handy if a little erratic fading in as the 3rd man up in aerial situations...Crossy working hard in traffic...Cooney thereabouts so far but often being fed short gives when under extreme pressure...Want more from Aker than jogging on the periphery.

All up an encouraging first half showing in tough conditions...just hope we can play four quarters and the slog doesn't take its toll for next week.

Ozza
30-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Good to see Eagleton and Gilbee play so well. Harbrow and Hill pretty good too. Crossys endeavour is always outstanding.

Don't want to see any more kick outs from Aker! Skipper has confirmed what we always knew - but some forgot! I'm confident we'll win though - we have been a little cleaner - and I think we'll outlast them.

Fingers crossed!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2008, 06:52 PM
irrespctive of the result it is very enocuraging to see the team play with the endeavour and commitment they showed for the first two 3rds of the season.

Any one see Harris' report? Is he in trouble?

G-Mo77
30-08-2008, 06:58 PM
GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid

ledge
30-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Didnt see Harris but i saw Lake, he will be ok, just a crap report.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Didnt see Harris but i saw Lake, he will be ok, just a crap report.

slip of the fingers:o... I meant Lake of course

The Coon Dog
30-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Bloody silly handball by Gilbee. He's a beautiful kick, so kick in these conditions. Bet he gets a rocket at 3/4 time.

ledge
30-08-2008, 07:07 PM
I think Reid is going ok, trying hard.

1eyedog
30-08-2008, 07:08 PM
irrespctive of the result it is very enocuraging to see the team play with the endeavour and commitment they showed for the first two 3rds of the season.

Any one see Harris' report? Is he in trouble?

Won't make it to Monday. Is Huddo's hammy confirmed out for a couple?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I think Reid is going ok, trying hard.

Having a go.. but looks as though he has a bit to learn about the pace of AFL compared to VFL

Topdog
30-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Controversial goal there.

wimberga
30-08-2008, 07:12 PM
What happened with the touched goal that was kicked after the siren in the 2nd quarter? How can it be after the siren and be touched and yet be counted???

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2008, 07:13 PM
That goal umpire needs a bullet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bulldog4life
30-08-2008, 07:17 PM

We were cheated with that goal decision. :mad:

Topdog

and the boundaries. "Yep it was definitely off the boot but I dont know if Aker touched it after"

No where near the boot champ.

1eyedog
Tough from here. Has Huddo got hammy tightness or has he done a hammy?

Topdog
30-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Love the torp!

G-Mo77
30-08-2008, 07:40 PM
In the end some dickhead who can't see a metre in front of him helped the Crows win this. I'm so angry right now!!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2008, 07:40 PM
We may've lost the game, but I think we've rediscovered our desire and effort.
We looked much better in contested situations. And I'm as happy as I can be after a loss.

My only concern now is how we recover after what was a very tiring game in trying conditions that we aren't used to.

We need a solid week of recovery.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Skills were pathetic, regardless of the conditions.

Welsh & Johnson were very poor up forward whilst Lake & Hargrave were just as bad down the other end.

Aker was great, Gilbee was prolific & Eagleton one of the best on the ground but we still have major problems. The positive is that the effort/desire was there. Hopefully in better conditions we'll improve, but im not convinced yet.

DOG GOD
30-08-2008, 07:46 PM
How many weeks will Lake get?

hujsh
30-08-2008, 07:46 PM
WTF was with that Porps goal. Commentators said he that the boundary ump said he definitely touched it but the goal ump overruled him and said goal.

LostDoggy
30-08-2008, 07:49 PM
We looked much better in contested situations. And I'm as happy as I can be after a loss.

My only concern now is how we recover after what was a very tiring game in trying conditions that we aren't used to.

Agree. Crows had everything to play for. It's always been about next week and as you said YHF, a good recovery regime is vital. Didn't see the Lake incident. What's the opinion here?

G-Mo77
30-08-2008, 07:50 PM
How many weeks will Lake get?

I'll take a guess..........

LostDoggy
WTF was with that Porps goal. Commentators said he that the boundary ump said he definitely touched it but the goal ump overruled him and said goal.

Ironic wasn't it.

The Coon Dog
We stuffed about too much trying to play dry weather football in the wet. 87 more possies & we lost!!

I still would like to have seen Aker played one out in the forward 50 on occasions.

I'm starting to become frustrated with Brian Lake's brain fades, must be driving the coaching staff mad, particularly when he looks up, look left, looks right, looks up, looks left, looks right then buggers up his kick through indecision.

G-Mo77
30-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm starting to become frustrated with Brian Lake's brain fades, must be driving the coaching staff mad, particularly when he looks up, look left, looks right, looks up, looks left, looks right then buggers up his kick through indecision.

I think he has been pretty ordinary all season. Apart from Johnno and Welsh he was right up there in the worst tonight.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I think he has been pretty ordinary all season. Apart from Johnno and Welsh he was right up there in the worst tonight.

Agreed; he's had an ordinary year. He's a great mark coming across the packs, but he's often beaten by his direct opponent.

He needs to improve, because his brain fades are getting worse and it's costing us big time.

BulldogBelle
30-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Apart from Johnno and Welsh he was right up there in the worst tonight.

Johnno, copped some stitches and was on and off the ground a few times with the blood rule.

GVGjr
30-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Whilst we let ourselves down with some decision making errors there were some positive signs today. If we lose Lake then we will have some problems.
Tiller and Wight battled it out well today with Tiller particularly impressive but they can't cover Lake.

G-Mo77
30-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Johnno, copped some stitches and was on and off the ground a few times with the blood rule.

I am aware of that, when he was on the ground he was very ordinary clearly our worst player tonight. He's probably been our best over the last few weeks so he was due for a bad one. Hopefully next week he's back to his best.

1eyedog
30-08-2008, 08:08 PM

Agree. Was going to post some similar.

Dancin' Douggy
30-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I think there were 7 points the umpires got wrong.
Porplyzias goal we all know wasn't there. Should have been 1 point not 6.
There was one shot that definitely looked out of bounds on the full but got a point.
But more importantly. A set shot on goal after the siren should be called a dead ball as soon as it touches another player, but it was called a point after coming off the hands of the pack.
Am I wrong or is that a colossal error from all the umpires and score keepers?
Where were the goal umpires from? Work for the dole scheme?
Please correct me if I'm wrong on that rule.

ledge
30-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I would love to see Lake as out full forward or centre half forward.

Go_Dogs
30-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Griff's goal was the highlight for mine, great effort. Played a pretty good game, has holding the ball was a bit of a poor call by the ump I think, he hadn't spun the full 360 or hit the ground and as he handballed it the ump blew the whistle.

The (non) goal was terrible, even my Crows supporting mate who ended up coming with me conceded it was Aker's hand that touched it. Happened down my end and it was pretty tough live to make the call, but on replay it was clearly Aker's hand.

Overall I thought it was a perfect warm up effort for the Hawks. We did the pressuring and harassment like we need to, although sometimes we still zoned off too much instead of really attacking the ball carrier, and allowed corridors for them to run through. Overall though, a much better effort in this area.

The weather and 'wetness' of the oval didn't really help our skills, even McLeod lost his feet running in a straight line to the ball in one of the pockets, so it must have been a pretty damp and slippery ball. Gusty, swirling wind too, and pretty nasty rain for patches in the first half.

I'm fairly positive about next week - although as I speak the Hawks are looking pretty good. Going to be a ripper.

Sockeye Salmon
30-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I think there were 7 points the umpires got wrong.
Porplyzias goal we all know wasn't there. Should have been 1 point not 6.
There was one shot that definitely looked out of bounds on the full but got a point.
But more importantly. A set shot on goal after the siren should be called a dead ball as soon as it touches another player, but it was called a point after coming off the hands of the pack.
Am I wrong or is that a colossal error from all the umpires and score keepers?
Where were the goal umpires from? Work for the dole scheme?
Please correct me if I'm wrong on that rule.

Actually no.

It will be called a dead ball if it is helped on by other players. If it is punched through on the line it is dead, if it is touched off the boot or touched on the line it still counts.

Dancin' Douggy
31-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Mmmmm. Sounds like an awfully grey area. How much deflection is allowed?

Topdog
31-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Did they kick the goal after Lake's "reportable offence"? Which shouldn't have even been a free kick.

BDThrunthru
31-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi all new to this site, so this is my first post. Please be gentle with me.
Was at the game yesterday in Adelaide as I am an SA based member. Without being overly critical, I saw yesterdays game as the one that got away. Some may argue about the weather, or the fact it was a Crows home game which is never easy in front of 50,000 rednecks, but as a precursor to whats going to be a hard finals series, there were some worrying signs. Since the midseason break, its been like a completely different team playing out there. Whether its confidence issues or some internal conflict, they seem to have lost that "x" factor about themselves which made them dangerous early on. Firstly, the overuse of the football was not only frustrating at times to watch, but also resulted in costly turnovers. There seemed to be a reluctance to even kick to a 50/50 contest up the ground which in my opinion would be a better option than passing the ball from side to side across half back. The lack of confidence going forward often resulted in poor decision making and turnovers. Secondly, when the game was there to be won, when it got hard, we didn't really have anyone step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck and start dictating terms to the opposition. This didn't just happen yesterday, but also occurred in the Brisbane match. OK, the "rushed" goal didn't help our cause either. It really turned the game on its ear, and an unusually docile crowd all of a sudden woke up. This seemed to give the Crows a 2nd wind and help them across the line. On a positive note, there were some good signs from the youngsters. Sam Reid had some good touches early. Josh Hill and Jarrod Harbrow also were punching above their weight. Nathan Eagleton didn't stop running all day and always looked dangerous and was the best of the elder players. He even kicked on his right foot yesterday and hit a target! :)
Brad Johnson is obviously not 100%, both physically and mentally. He appeared yesterday to not want to put his head over the football and get the hardball for which he is known for. He has also recently been making a few uncharacteristic clangers, obvious a sign of a man down on confidence. Keep your chin up Johno as we really need you to fire mate. Hopefully Rocket and his band of assistants have everything in hand and have the boys Cherry Ripe for Hawthorn. Maybe another narrow loss before the finals series might be the tonic to get the hunger back. Keep the faith Doggies fans, and may those blasted Crows get their come-uppance in September! (After all, we owe the mongrels for 97 & 98 and revenge is best served Cold!!)

bornadog
31-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Was at the game yesterday in Adelaide as I am an SA based member. Without being overly critical, I saw yesterdays game as the one that got away. Some may argue about the weather, or the fact it was a Crows home game which is never easy in front of 50,000 rednecks, but as a precursor to whats going to be a hard finals series, there were some worrying signs. Since the midseason break, its been like a completely different team playing out there. Whether its confidence issues or some internal conflict, they seem to have lost that "x" factor about themselves which made them dangerous early on. Firstly, the overuse of the football was not only frustrating at times to watch, but also resulted in costly turnovers. There seemed to be a reluctance to even kick to a 50/50 contest up the ground which in my opinion would be a better option than passing the ball from side to side across half back. The lack of confidence going forward often resulted in poor decision making and turnovers. Secondly, when the game was there to be won, when it got hard, we didn't really have anyone step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck and start dictating terms to the opposition. This didn't just happen yesterday, but also occurred in the Brisbane match. OK, the "rushed" goal didn't help our cause either. It really turned the game on its ear, and an unusually docile crowd all of a sudden woke up. This seemed to give the Crows a 2nd wind and help them across the line. On a positive note, there were some good signs from the youngsters. Sam Reid had some good touches early. Josh Hill and Jarrod Harbrow also were punching above their weight. Nathan Eagleton didn't stop running all day and always looked dangerous and was the best of the elder players. He even kicked on his right foot yesterday and hit a target! :)
Brad Johnson is obviously not 100%, both physically and mentally. He appeared yesterday to not want to put his head over the football and get the hardball for which he is known for. He has also recently been making a few uncharacteristic clangers, obvious a sign of a man down on confidence. Keep your chin up Johno as we really need you to fire mate. Hopefully Rocket and his band of assistants have everything in hand and have the boys Cherry Ripe for Hawthorn. Maybe another narrow loss before the finals series might be the tonic to get the hunger back. Keep the faith Doggies fans, and may those blasted Crows get their come-uppance in September! (After all, we owe the mongrels for 97 & 98 and revenge is best served Cold!!)

Firstly welcome to WOOF and a great first up post.

Do you feel some of the guys were afraid to get injured this week going into next weeks final? Johnno had stitches in his head which may account for him not wanting to put his head over the ball.

We haven't been the same team since we beat Port in Darwin and have only shown glimpses in some quarters. The only real postive has been that when we have played against teams like Sydney, our intensity has risen dramatically. As for over posession, I think they are instructed to hold onto the ball till they can find some one clear, but this doesn't work if players don't run into space and create an oppportunity for the player with the ball to kick to. Cooney and Griffen are tagged every week now so this hasn't helped us at all.

The most dissapointing part of the last seven games has been the last quarters. I don't think we have won one.

soupman
31-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Was at the game yesterday in Adelaide as I am an SA based member. Without being overly critical, I saw yesterdays game as the one that got away. Some may argue about the weather, or the fact it was a Crows home game which is never easy in front of 50,000 rednecks, but as a precursor to whats going to be a hard finals series, there were some worrying signs. Since the midseason break, its been like a completely different team playing out there. Whether its confidence issues or some internal conflict, they seem to have lost that "x" factor about themselves which made them dangerous early on.

Firstly, the overuse of the football was not only frustrating at times to watch, but also resulted in costly turnovers. There seemed to be a reluctance to even kick to a 50/50 contest up the ground which in my opinion would be a better option than passing the ball from side to side across half back. The lack of confidence going forward often resulted in poor decision making and turnovers.

Secondly, when the game was there to be won, when it got hard, we didn't really have anyone step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck and start dictating terms to the opposition. This didn't just happen yesterday, but also occurred in the Brisbane match. OK, the "rushed" goal didn't help our cause either. It really turned the game on its ear, and an unusually docile crowd all of a sudden woke up. This seemed to give the Crows a 2nd wind and help them across the line.

On a positive note, there were some good signs from the youngsters. Sam Reid had some good touches early. Josh Hill and Jarrod Harbrow also were punching above their weight. Nathan Eagleton didn't stop running all day and always looked dangerous and was the best of the elder players. He even kicked on his right foot yesterday and hit a target! :)

Brad Johnson is obviously not 100%, both physically and mentally. He appeared yesterday to not want to put his head over the football and get the hardball for which he is known for. He has also recently been making a few uncharacteristic clangers, obvious a sign of a man down on confidence. Keep your chin up Johno as we really need you to fire mate.

Hopefully Rocket and his band of assistants have everything in hand and have the boys Cherry Ripe for Hawthorn. Maybe another narrow loss before the finals series might be the tonic to get the hunger back. Keep the faith Doggies fans, and may those blasted Crows get their come-uppance in September! (After all, we owe the mongrels for 97 & 98 and revenge is best served Cold!!)

Welcome mate, nice first post. Just try and put some spaces in it like I've done above though, it makes it much easier to read when it isn't just a large lump of text.

craigsahibee
31-08-2008, 08:49 PM
You know, I was disappointed to lose the game, but some individual efforts were encouraging. It was great to see a game of footy being played yesterday and not some form of basketball masquerading as football which is being dished up by some sides lately. Some hardness came back yesterday. Lake will be ok. Hopefully Hudson's hammy comes up because without him, we will struggle. Looking forward to a Hawks let down next week.

hujsh
31-08-2008, 09:41 PM
We just have to hope that these encouraging individual efforts result in a good team effort

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 11:42 AM
There was a lot to commend in Saturday's effort. For the first time for a long time, we were prepared to take risks and run through the lines, often with the use of handball.

Because of the conditions we sometimes stuffed it up but it was a major turn around to the stop start stuff we have been serving up.

Another feature was our attack on the ball. Adelaide have always been a big bodied side that is hard at it and I thought we matched them in that department quite well.

There were some very encouraging perrformances including Eagleton and Hill in particular. I thought Hill was clearly in our best.

One of the few disappointments (other than the loss) was the number of appalling attempts to clear the ball after an opposition point. Lake, Acka, Hargreaves and Gilbee were all guilty of multiple offences in this area.

This is bread and butter stuff which should not be happening at this time of year irrespective of the conditions.

But overall, a good workout for the big one next week.

Rocket Science
01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Agreed, was a generally positive showing versus Adelaide, irrespective of the result...would go so far as to say it was one of our better outings of the 2nd half of the season.

Raised effort levels were the most pleasing aspect for mine...the conditions really required it and we answered the call...the desperation and urgency seems to be returning, with more blokes prepared to involve themselves and fewer content to spectate.

In spite of numerous turnovers by foot, often unpressured, would also argue our decision making in general play was somewhat improved...there's a little more purpose and boldness in our possession sharing re-emerging...but partly tied in with this and still cause for concern was our execution (can also be partly excused due to conditions).

Still not entirely over the moon with where we're at with a key final on the horizon, but the signs are as encouraging as they've been for at least a month.