PDA

View Full Version : So who goes?

Mantis
30-08-2008, 10:22 PM
We obviously didn't play our best team today. Sam Reid tried hard, but is still a little away. Our backline was obviously undersized so we need to play another tall.

So else goes?

For me it has to be Higgins. Even though he had more of the ball than Harbrow his efforts were quite poor. The boy is obviously talented, but perhaps we might see his best next year?

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Who comes in?

Yes, Reid will head back to the Gulls and Higgins might be in strife to hold his spot. If Hudson is Ok then Skipper will not hold his spot either.
What I heard was the Everitt and Ray didnt do enough today to force their way back into calculations.

whythelongface
31-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Who comes in?

Yes, Reid will head back to the Gulls and Higgins might be in strife to hold his spot. If Hudson is Ok then Skipper will not hold his spot either.
What I heard was the Everitt and Ray didnt do enough today to force their way back into calculations.

I know Skip didn't do much today but is there the possibilty that he could be retained for next week providing us with another potential tall option, plus his ruck work seemed to be ok today.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 12:13 AM
I was dissapointed with Higgins today, given it was a day made for the small guys. I think Reid, Higgins and Skipper will be out for the first final.

Rocket Science
31-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Whether warranted or not, I've a gut feeling Higgins will survive the cut for next week...

Still waiting for an accurate take on Hudson's injury though...no big deal if it was simply a precautionary/rest type of thing, but the word 'hammy' at this stage of the year doesn't inspire confidence and if we're forced to replace him with Skipper or Street versus Hawthorn, we've got rather sizeable problems.

The 'Skipper-as-key-forward' concept isn't as loopy as it sounds, but is Round 22 really the ideal stage to actually trial it?...If Skipper plays it's surely because the club's hand has been forced through injury and hopefully not the product of someone twigging in the final round of the season proper that it's a move perhaps worth sucking and seeing, albeit 10 weeks too late.

Nice to see Reid get rewarded for good form at VFL level, but he looked a fair way off the pace today and is surely no chance to line up next week which somewhat undermines Rocket's pre-Crows build-up of the youngster...otherwise again, we've got problems.

And what's up with Ray's omission?, who's otherwise been ensconced in our best 22 for some time?

We know Rocket loves his selection games, but there's been some odd decisions in the lead-up to the finals.

The Pie Man
31-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Didn't think I'd be seeing Tiller's name on the park for the first final, but it seems he may be the most likely after Everitt & Wight failed to impress for Willy.

I think Reid will be a player, he had a real dip but some of his handballs (in horendous conditions) weren't great. I honestly thought Ray was a soda to come back in once fit, maybe the coaching staff have been reading this forum...

If Hudson's fit

In: Hudson, Tiller
Out: Skipper, Reid

I know Lake normally takes Roughead - maybe it's worth Tiller on him and Lake to try Buddy. You get the feeling Morris will be given first crack.

Happy with the hitout today - getting this sinking feeling Hawthorn have too many guns for us.

hujsh
31-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Didn't think I'd be seeing Tiller's name on the park for the first final, but it seems he may be the most likely after Everitt & Wight failed to impress for Willy.

I think Reid will be a player, he had a real dip but some of his handballs (in horendous conditions) weren't great. I honestly thought Ray was a soda to come back in once fit, maybe the coaching staff have been reading this forum...

If Hudson's fit

Out: Skipper, Reid

I know Lake normally takes Roughead - maybe it's worth Tiller on him and Lake to try Buddy. You get the feeling Morris will be given first crack.

Happy with the hitout today - getting this sinking feeling Hawthorn have too many guns for us.

I'd rather Lake do OK on Rough and Buddy beat someone else than Lake get owned by Buddy and Roughead rag dole our other defenders

soupman
31-08-2008, 02:49 AM
Having seen Harbrows effort on McLeod today and considering Bateman plays a similiar role for Hawthorn I think that will be Harbrow match up next week, meaning Ray's inclusion isn't as sure a thing as many would have first thought.

I think Reid will be dropped, can get the footy just needs to be quicker and cleaner with his use of it, conditions didn't help. I also think Skipper will be dropped if Hudson is fit, however Skip did alright in the hitouts from what I saw and I don't mind the idea of having him as a wild card, unfortunately for him though I can't justify picking him ahead of some others.

I agree Higgins could be in trouble, however todays conditions didn't suit him at all. Higgins is a very clean player who marks in his hands and uses his skills alot, the weather today didn't suit him at all.

I would like to see Tiller come in as a tall option at either end who has a bit of hunger for a contest cause I think Hawthorn might try and intimidate us a bit.

So my two main changes would be:
Out: Reid, Skipper

I would also consider Ray though.

By the way did anyone else notice the increased physicality of our players today? Lake was laying players on their arse, Callan was having a go and Hahn was driving them into the ground. I want to see that attitude next week provided no one goes over the top.

Mantis
31-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I was more concerned with Higgins defensive efforts than his offensive efforts. He just didn't apply enough pressure for my liking.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 04:59 PM
I was more concerned with Higgins defensive efforts than his offensive efforts. He just didn't apply enough pressure for my liking.

I know conditions were not that good yesterday, but his kicking in the past two games have been terrible. Maybe because he has been out for so long.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Harbrow only had 6 posessions, but did a great job on Mcleod

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Harbrow only had 6 posessions, but did a great job on Mcleod

Did such a great job that the Adelaide papers awarded Mc Leod second best behind Van Berlo.

Harbrow simply does not get his hands on the ball enough. Yes, he gives it 100% but he needs another string to his bow than being a hard tackler.

bornadog
01-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Did such a great job that the Adelaide papers awarded Mc Leod second best behind Van Berlo.

Harbrow simply does not get his hands on the ball enough. Yes, he gives it 100% but he needs another string to his bow than being a hard tackler.

McCleod did better when he was switched up the ground and got most of his posessions. I thought in the backline he didn't give them the usual drive.

Agree that Harbrow needs to find the ball more and if he is going to play in the forward pocket we need a few goals out of him every week. He will certainly be one of the players to be looked at when teams are decided this week.

soupman
01-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Yeah but the newspapers votes are hardly indicative of who deserved them. Eagleton didn't get ranked in the top 5 in the Herald Sun on the weekend and I thought he was in our best 2.