PDA

View Full Version : Dogs after Essendon's Lovett.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Afetr the game spoke with the HUN who say we are one of three clubs after Lovett.

Dons want a first rounder...

Thoughts?

whythelongface
31-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Not worth a first rounder and not the type of player that I would've thought we would be interested in.

Dry Rot
31-08-2008, 12:25 AM
For some odd reason I was thinking about that today.

Damaged goods but could be very useful.

Is it fair to say that in this draft, picks are more highly valued than above average players?

If so, Dons might be lucky to get to even get a second rounder for him?

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Would add a heap of speed.

IN this draft, not more than a second rounder.

Scorlibo
31-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Maybe an early third rounder. Street + 3rd rounder to Melbourne, their third rounder to Essendon, Lovett to us. The guy has a lot of talent and could give back a bit of that run which we have lost.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Maybe an early third rounder. Street + 3rd rounder to Melbourne, their third rounder to Essendon, Lovett to us. The guy has a lot of talent and could give back a bit of that run which we have lost.
What about Street and third straight to Essendon.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2008, 01:53 AM
First round pick? Absolutely not.

He is however, a quality player, and I would be interested in luring him to the club. His type of run & carry with explosive pace is something we really need. He's a little inconsistent at times and his attitude has a question mark over it, but all things being equal, it's an intelligent move to play around with because he's an exciting player.

hujsh
31-08-2008, 02:10 AM
Hey I may actually have been right about a possible target for us.:D

As i said in some other thread, he may be that third attacking mid we've been after.

The Pie Man
31-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey I may actually have been right about a possible target for us.:D

As i said in some other thread, he may be that third attacking mid we've been after.

Given his youth, he could be important with the retirements of Johnson & Akermanis by the end of 2010.

Dancin' Douggy
31-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Interested but not a first rounder.

Topdog
31-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Yep interested but no where near a first rounder.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 12:12 PM
From the HUN:

The Western Bulldogs, West Coast and Fremantle have all expressed interest in the wayward 25-year-old's services should he become available.

Fremantle coach Mark Harvey said the Dockers would look at their list and then perform due diligence on which players to recruit.

"We'll discuss it in the coming weeks. I had a lot to do with him when I was at Essendon, but I haven't spoken to him in a while. Is he on the outer, we don't know," Harvey said.

The Bulldogs head of recruiting Scott Clayton was also coy when probed about Lovett.

"We've got finals to worry about first," Clayton said.

"We read that he is available. We've got an open mind, but we're also committed to a father-son, so we'll see what happens."

West Coast management was unavailable for comment.

It is believed Lovett will seek a contract worth about $280,000 a season, and that Essendon is seeking a low first-round draft pick in exchange.

Lovett could be involved in Essendon's play for out-of-contract Brisbane Lion Michael Rischitelli.

Interesting. That says to me and the footy world that Ayce is our first rounder...

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2008, 12:14 PM
We could definately do with his pace but the club have already said we have committed our 1st pick on Cordy.

West Coast and Freo were mentioned as being interested as well. Would they part with their 2nd rounders (West Coast will have two remember)?

1eyedog
31-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Again interested but not for a first round pick.

ledge
31-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh my god i love some of the writers in the HUN, one minute they say West Coast are interested but in same article say they couldnt get hold of West Coast, so how do they know they are interested?
Talk about making up stuff.
Rischitelli , now thats interesting, wasnt he a Western Jets player? Maybe get him back home?
Would love to have him, a centreman who knows where the goals are and can kick them.

Lovett to Freo or West Coast, sounds like he belongs there with the history they all have.
Clayton didnt hold back did he with letting the footy world know who we are taking.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Not worth a 1st or 2nd rounder. We need pace, but I dont rate the type of pace Lovett would bring. He only 'turns up' every third week. He is too lightly framed. Would prefer a speedster more in the style of Brent Moloney. Strong body can do the work when things are going against us.
If we need skinny speedsters why did we give Jordan away?

GVGjr
31-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Not worth a 1st or 2nd rounder. We need pace, but I dont rate the type of pace Lovett would bring. He only 'turns up' every third week. He is too lightly framed. Would prefer a speedster more in the style of Brent Moloney. Strong body can do the work when things are going against us.
If we need skinny speedsters why did we give Jordan away?

Moloney is no quicker than Boyd and given we already have Cross, who isn't quick either, adding someone like Moloney would be overkill.

We moved McMahon on because he wasn't giving his footy 100% commitment but we do miss his pace, run and carry a lot.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Moloney is no quicker than Boyd and given we already have Cross, who isn't quick either, adding someone like Moloney would be overkill.

We moved McMahon on because he wasn't giving his footy 100% commitment but we do miss his pace, run and carry a lot.

I would be suprised if Maloney isnt faster than Boyd and Cross. And i said in the style of Brent Moloney, nuggety outside player.
We need speed, thats why West cant go on, but i dont think we need more skinny,light weight speedsters.

hujsh
31-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Oh my god i love some of the writers in the HUN, one minute they say West Coast are interested but in same article say they couldnt get hold of West Coast, so how do they know they are interested?
Talk about making up stuff.
Rischitelli , now thats interesting, wasnt he a Western Jets player? Maybe get him back home?
Would love to have him, a centreman who knows where the goals are and can kick them.

Lovett to Freo or West Coast, sounds like he belongs there with the history they all have.
Clayton didnt hold back did he with letting the footy world know who we are taking.

What could we give for Rischitelli? The Lions would want a top 10 pick or one or 2 quality players.

ledge
31-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Well if Rischitelli is out of contract and wants to come home, reduces Lions bargaining power, other point, we are out of race if they want top ten pick because we wont have one.
Also depends on whether we have a player they are after, would think it would be another along his style because they have enough talls.
If Rischitelli does want to come back to Melbourne he will have to do it this year as next year with GC 17 coming in it will be a lot harder.
This is just hypothetical of course, he might be happy up there.
I know where I would rather be weather wise!

GVGjr
31-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I would be suprised if Maloney isnt faster than Boyd and Cross. And i said in the style of Brent Moloney, nuggety outside player.
We need speed, thats why West cant go on, but i dont think we need more skinny,light weight speedsters.

Really Moloney isn't any quicker than Boyd and he is more of an insider player anyway.
I think what you are trying to say is that you would prefer a guy like Griffen than one like McMahon. Pace with some size rather than pace without.

Just out of curiosity, how many skinny light weight speedsters do you think we have on the list?

I was talking to one of the Bulldogs folk yesterday and he mentioned that the club was keen to add speedsters to the list. They genuinely believe we need to target a couple of young speedy types in the draft.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Really Moloney isn't any quicker than Boyd and he is more of an insider player anyway.
I think what you are trying to say is that you would prefer a guy like Griffen than one like McMahon. Pace with some size rather than pace without.

Just out of curiosity, how many skinny light weight speedsters do you think we have on the list?

I was talking to one of the Bulldogs folk yesterday and he mentioned that the club was keen to add speedsters to the list. They genuinely believe we need to target a couple of young speedy types in the draft.

I dont think we have many skinny speedsters on the list (Geelong have less). Maybe thats why we have been more competitve this year. And yes.. we need more Griffen style speedsters than Lovett/Mcmahon.

GVGjr
31-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I dont think we have many skinny speedsters on the list (Geelong have less). Maybe thats why we have been more competitve this year. And yes.. we need more Griffen style speedsters than Lovett/Mcmahon.

The reality is that you need a balance and pace is very important in the AFL today.
Most clubs would rather have a guy a bit on the lean side that can run than one who is well built but a touch slow. Thats why guys like Griffen and Cooney are so valuable because they have both size and heaps of pace.
I wouldn't knock a player just because he is skinny though. Sam Blease has heaps of pace and good skills but is very lean. If we had another first round pick this year he would be a terrific player to draft. You can teach young players the skills that they will need (with a few exceptions) and add size through a training regime, but it's very difficult for a player that isn't naturally quick to become a genuine speedster.

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Stokes, Byrnes, Varcoe, (Djerrka or whatever his name is).

Nothing wrong with being skinny if you can play

bornadog
31-08-2008, 05:11 PM

Murphy:)

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Add Mackie for Geelong.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Back to the argument of cost.

We wont have a first rounder to spend. Would you cough up a second rounder for him or try for a kid like Mitch Banner is he's still around.

3rd rounder and Street might not get too much currency, perhaps Lynch might have some interrest for Essendon. A swap of positive attitude deficient players.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 05:31 PM

All those Geelong players work a lot harder and are more reliable than Lovett.

GVGjr
31-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Back to the argument of cost.

We wont have a first rounder to spend. Would you cough up a second rounder for him or try for a kid like Mitch Banner is he's still around.

3rd rounder and Street might not get too much currency, perhaps Lynch might have some interrest for Essendon. A swap of positive attitude deficient players.

I think a second rounder is all that he is worth but I still don't think I would part with it. A player for player trade might be best but I doubt we have too much that would interest the Bombers. You would also need to be sure that his attitude issues are more of a blip than the norm though.

By the way, Banner shouldn't still be around when we have our 2nd pick.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I think a second rounder is all that he is worth but I still don't think I would part with it. A player for player trade might be best but I doubt we have too much that would interest the Bombers. You would also need to be sure that his attitude issues are more of a blip than the norm though.

By the way, Banner might not still be around when we have our 2nd pick. He could go later though.
My thoughts re: Lovett too. The closest i can see is our 3rd and Street for a low third rounder. Hoping that there is little competition, or he nomintaes us???

Re: Banner, shame the new f/s rule comes in this year. Clayton was very honest to say we've committed our first pick for Ayce so far out....

The Coon Dog
31-08-2008, 05:43 PM
shame the new f/s rule comes in this year. Clayton was very honest to say we've committed our first pick for Ayce so far out....

Actually commenced last year. Essendon had to take Darcy Daniher with a 3rd round pick after North nominated him. No one nominated Joxson Barham (Coll) or Adam Donohue (Geel) so those clubs used their final selection on them.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Actually commenced last year. Essendon had to take Darcy Daniher with a 3rd round pick after North nominated him. No one nominated Joxson Barham (Coll) or Adam Donohue (Geel) so those clubs used their final selection on them.
I just see Hawkins and Selwood and see unfair inthat instance.

But i agree with the rule overall. I just wish we could have our cake and eat it too.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I think there is a good chance that we will pick up Cordy with our 2nd rnd pick. THe injury and the fact that there is a lot of good bigmen in this draft might help

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Me too! :D
Shouldn't waste all my energy on being jealous though.

We should put our mind togther on awful puns for banners for Ayce's arrival.

I'm going with anything Ace Ventura-ish.

"All Righty Then"

"Another goals Ayce. Spank-you. Spank-you very much"

GVGjr
31-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I just see Hawkins and Selwood and see unfair in that instance.

But i agree with the rule overall. I just wish we could have our cake and eat it too.

Selwood was not a father son selection but the Cats positioned themselves to land him.

hujsh
31-08-2008, 07:37 PM
The Cats were unbelievably fortunate with that draft. I said after that draft they'd gotten 2 number one picks.

Will never happen again with so little cost (pick 7 and 30something)

Happy Days
31-08-2008, 08:17 PM
I just see Hawkins and Selwood and see unfair inthat instance.

Selwood wasn't a f/s.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Selwood wasn't a f/s.
I know Hawkins was. Selwood was their first rounder which they got to use on him while using a third rounder on Hawkins...

strebla
01-09-2008, 01:31 AM
I just hope we can use our second pick on Cordy gee i would love a little tough nut mitch banner (might even give him the number 7 ).

ledge
01-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Chances of getting Mitch Banner are zero, he will go in top ten, would take a big trade.

Topdog
01-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I think there is a good chance that we will pick up Cordy with our 2nd rnd pick. THe injury and the fact that there is a lot of good bigmen in this draft might help

I actually think this is a very good chance of happening too. He has been largely unseen for a fair amount of time and a lot will depend on how we do in the finals. We could still end up with pick 12 in which case I doubt anyone will try and grab him.

Scorlibo
01-09-2008, 01:53 PM
I actually think this is a very good chance of happening too. He has been largely unseen for a fair amount of time and a lot will depend on how we do in the finals. We could still end up with pick 12 in which case I doubt anyone will try and grab him.

I thought so too but with Clayton making statements like, "we're committed to a father son" clubs may just make us use our first rounder.

1eyedog
01-09-2008, 01:56 PM

I agree, Maloney would be a good acquisition. He breaks lines and loves to carry the ball through the middle. He's not overtly quick, but he's certainly quicker than he looks and his bulk makes him hard to tackle.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I agree, Maloney would be a good acquisition. He breaks lines and loves to carry the ball through the middle. He's not overtly quick, but he's certainly quicker than he looks and his bulk makes him hard to tackle.

Maloney would have been a good player, but he's been riddled with injuries for a few years now. His body breaks down pretty regularly, so going after him would be a pointless exercise. It's a shame, because he was on the road to becoming a very good player after his '05 season.

Rocket Science
01-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Maloney?...It's Moloney gents.

Thought Melbourne landed a bit of a coup a few years back after snatching him from Geelong but has since experienced injury woes of Tom Williams proportions and looks a shadow of the punchy, dynamic ball-winner he was shaping up as back in '04 and '05.

1eyedog
01-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Maloney would have been a good player, but he's been riddled with injuries for a few years now. His body breaks down pretty regularly, so going after him would be a pointless exercise. It's a shame, because he was on the road to becoming a very good player after his '05 season.

If Moloney (thanks RS) can get past his injuries he still has 2-3 good years IMO, but that's a big IF. We are premiership contenders in that time, he'll fit in nicely and I'd have a go at him even though many others would not.

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I thought so too but with Clayton making statements like, "we're committed to a father son" clubs may just make us use our first rounder.

By Clayton coming out and saying that, it might stop other clubs having a 'serious' look at him. Why waste recruiting time and cash on a kid who is definately unavailable.

Happy Days
01-09-2008, 07:16 PM
By Clayton coming out and saying that, it might stop other clubs having a 'serious' look at him. Why waste recruiting time and cash on a kid who is definately unavailable.

So we are forced into using our first rounder, instead of getting both a good quality kid at pick 14 or whenever it is, as well as Ayce?

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
So we are forced into using our first rounder, instead of getting both a good quality kid at pick 14 or whenever it is, as well as Ayce?

No. We are hoping to get Ayce with our 2nd rounder

hujsh
01-09-2008, 08:14 PM

I think the idea is if we say he's ours then clubs don't waste resources on him and he slips to the second round.

Go_Dogs
01-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Chances of getting Mitch Banner are zero, he will go in top ten, would take a big trade.

Are you sure? Shorter guys like him < 180cms often hang around longer than they should.

GVGjr
01-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Are you sure? Shorter guys like him < 180cms often hang around longer than they should.

Murphy, Selwood, Masten, Palmer and Vezpremi are all guys either a bit shorter or about the 180cm mark. I don't think Banner will go top 10 but if you are good enough being around 180cm shouldn't stop you from being picked early.

GVGjr
01-09-2008, 09:38 PM

I believe that the club already knows and has accepted the fact that they will need to use their first round pick on Cordy.

On three occasions I have heard different people from the club say that their first live pick will most likely be around the 30 mark.
Whilst this might be a ploy by the club, it's just not looking likely that we can use this pick on someone else and still have Cordy at the club.
You never know but it might depend on where we finish.

mjp
01-09-2008, 11:19 PM

I dont even know if Mitch is 100% confident of being drafted, let alone top 10. Massive call - what clubs are looking at him? PM me!

ledge
02-09-2008, 12:01 AM
I just watched him in the u18 vic metro on telly and if he doesnt get picked up early I will run around my house naked.
Would love to get him but will be long gone before our second pick or first even.

bornadog
08-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Afetr the game spoke with the HUN who say we are one of three clubs after Lovett.

Dons want a first rounder...

Thoughts?

SEN thought they heard we were still sniffing around, but didn't confirm it.

mighty_west
08-10-2008, 04:47 PM
SEN thought they heard we were still sniffing around, but didn't confirm it.

Yeah i heard that, we still show mild interest, but he comes with a price, which is why Geelong are having trouble getting him across the line, apparently he's on around 300,000 but Geelong can only afford to pay him something like 150,000.

LostDoggy
08-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Well I wouldn't pay him 300k either. He can stay at Essendon.

LostDoggy
08-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Is it just me or are we supposedly interested in every player who is mentioned as possibly moving on?? Trade week sucks so much.

BulldogBelle
08-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah i heard that, we still show mild interest, but he comes with a price, which is why Geelong are having trouble getting him across the line, apparently he's on around 300,000 but Geelong can only afford to pay him something like 150,000.

The Cats players made a decision to try and keep their premiership team together and some were getting paid much less than the market value. No surprises that Geelong can't find enough in their cap.

LostDoggy
08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Tells you how bad Essendon are when they pay blokes like this 300K.

Mantis
09-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Tells you how bad Essendon are when they pay blokes like this 300K.

Tells you more about the competition than the club.