PDA

View Full Version : Peter Street

GVGjr
31-08-2008, 08:19 AM
I thought it was a good selection yesterday to bring in Wayde Skipper instead of Peter Street however, it does raise a few questions:

If Hudson is not available next week will Skipper still be preferred?

If Skipper is preferred again next week does this mean that Street has had his card stamped?

Would a good game by Skipper next week be enough to save his spot on the list for the next season?

Thoughts?

W W Biscuit
31-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Street has been in the AFL system for ten seasons. Recruiting Hudson at the end of 2007 was pretty much a vote of no confidence in Street, and if he is not even our preferred second string option at this stage of his career, I cannot see his tenure at the club continuing. Places on the list are way too valuable to retain this level of insurance. With Ayce Cordy presumably coming on board at the 2008 draft, and this being such an important draft (prior to the Gold Coast entry), look for a possible retirement or delisting. What is Street's contractual situation?

Regarding Skipper, perhaps the departure of Street could save him. I doubt that both would go. We would have to go with the younger man. Skip is a lot more versatile, and has shown considerably more flair, albeit in frustratingly brief glimpses. There could still be a role for Wayde, but a decent performance next week wouldn't hurt!

The Pie Man
31-08-2008, 09:39 AM
At least Skip can play FF and relieve in the ruck, Street can kick goals at VFL level but not AFL. If Hudson fails his finess test, I'd stick with Skip - and I'd play both he & Wil on the ground just about 100% the time, and have the resting ruckman forward.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 10:06 AM
If Hudson can't play we hope it rains.

Mantis
31-08-2008, 10:38 AM
If Hudson can't play we hope it rains.

Hudson will come into his own if it's wet.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Hudson will come into his own if it's wet.

Yes he might not be bad in the wet but if he isn't available I think we are more a chance with rain so we don't play Street than dry with Street.

Rocket Science
31-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Street can kick goals at VFL level but not AFL.

I'm not so sure about this...Street's never been properly trialled as a resting ruckman in a key forward post at AFL level...the bloke's actually a fairly reliable set shot, and would be all sorts of fun to match up against...always wondered why we didn't take a stab at employing him similarly to what the Roos are doing with Hale lately.

Regardless, we need Hudson back...badly.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm not so sure about this...Street's never been properly trialled as a resting ruckman in a key forward post at AFL level...the bloke's actually a fairly reliable set shot, and would be all sorts of fun to match up against...always wondered why we didn't take a stab at employing him similarly to what the Roos are doing with Hale lately, which might simultaneously lessen an achilles heel of Street's, and that's his around-the-ground work.
Maybe because Hale > Street x10

I remember Street had a set shot within 20m and running into open goal shot in this preseason v Carlton and missed both by miles.

For Street play FF you would have to plonk it on his head exactly everytime, which I believe is harder the spotting up and fast leading smaller type. Miss him and the FB will just streak away with the ball.

1eyedog
31-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm not so sure about this...Street's never been properly trialled as a resting ruckman in a key forward post at AFL level...the bloke's actually a fairly reliable set shot, and would be all sorts of fun to match up against...always wondered why we didn't take a stab at employing him similarly to what the Roos are doing with Hale lately.

Regardless, we need Hudson back...badly.

Yes he was, at Geelong. I watched him play 4 or 5 games at FF and he would look really good on a lead an =d kick a goal and you thought not bad for a big fella then he would do nothing for the rest of the game. Believe me Geelong tried everything with him and it didn't work. There's a reason they got rid of him.

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Street basically was admitting his AFL career was over when he joined the police force mid-year.

Skipper might be too short to be an effective ruckman at AFL level but at least he's mobile enough to get around the ground and stop the opposition ruckman from running amok. Street can't even do that.

Skipper's not a good enough forward to do it at AFL level so we can simply forget about that.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 12:52 PM
According to an article in this morning's HUN Peter Street actually played against Adelaide. Some reporter didn't check things out properly, :confused:

Rocket Science
31-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Neither suggesting Street to FF is a masterstroke that'll win the day, nor that Street is of a comparable calibre to Hale, but if you're going to play the bloke you might as well do it intelligently and to his strengths instead of being suprised and annoyed that he doesn't rack up touches at will through the middle.

Never monitored his Geelong tenure but we certainly haven't employed Street as a key forward for any consistent stretch during his 5 years on our list...and pre-season gaffes aside, Street is still capable of a contested mark, and I'll maintain to the grave is a steady set shot for goal...and as for what might happen when the ball hits the deck in the event of a dropped mark, it surely wouldn't be too dissimilar to what happens when Minson drops one in front of goal.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Neither suggesting Street to FF is a masterstroke that'll win the day, nor that Street is of a comparable calibre to Hale, but if you're going to play the bloke you might as well do it intelligently and to his strengths instead of being suprised and annoyed that he doesn't rack up touches at will through the middle.

Well and good but his strength is ruck work tapping not as a FF.

Never monitored his Geelong tenure but we certainly haven't employed Street as a key forward for any consistent stretch during his 5 years on our list...and pre-season gaffes aside, Street is still capable of a contested mark, and I'll maintain to the grave is a steady set shot for goal...and as for what might happen when the ball hits the deck in the event of a dropped mark, it surely wouldn't be too dissimilar to what happens when Minson drops one in front of goal.

The coach and his staff know his capabilities, I highly doubt that are going to try at FF in a final.

I dispute that he is a good contested mark and yes he is a great shot from 10m out like most people which is fortunate cos its the only area he can mark the ball. There is no evidence he can kick from 30-40m because he hardly gets the ball there and what we have seen is he won't kick it.

Minson isn't the greatest but he is a lot more mobile than Street and at the very least provides a physical presence.

This is Street's what 5th year at the club after 4? at Geelong, its not like we don't know what he is like.

Rocket Science
31-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Of course tap-work's his strength, it's arguably the only legitimate string to his bow...but when not strictly rucking I'd have thought spotting him as a regulation mark-and-kick player inside forward 50 would have paid better dividends than anything you'd get from him upfield.

I've quite vivid memories of Street dobbing goals from 35-50 range like some deadeye dick when he was getting regular game time with us during '06 and '07...a certain long range bomb against Richmond at the G amongst them...I recall the first couple of times I saw him pull it off with considerable amusement but he made a habit of connecting when the opportunity presented...I know his limitations but the feller can actually kick the thing rather effectively from a standing start.

Regardless, we're arguing a fairly minor point and he's clearly not the answer.

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2008, 03:07 PM
If we play Street at FF against Hawthorn it would be quite within the realms of possibility that Trent Croad could end up kicking more goals than Lance Franklin.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Interseting to see who we go with if Hudson doesn't come up. My choice is Skipper as I think Minson is playing well enough in the ruck to take the number one role. He had 23 hitouts yesterday, equal to Maric. I agree that we should give time to Skipper in the forward line as we have seen him take some big grabs up there in the past.

Street is a good tap ruckman but doesn't add any other value.

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Interseting to see who we go with if Hudson doesn't come up. My choice is Skipper as I think Minson is playing well enough in the ruck to take the number one role. He had 23 hitouts yesterday, equal to Maric. I agree that we should give time to Skipper in the forward line as we have seen him take some big grabs up there in the past.

One mark. The one against St. Kilda.

Does not a career as a forward make.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 05:04 PM
One mark. The one against St. Kilda.

Does not a career as a forward make.

five goals against Geelong with some big marks included.

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2008, 05:18 PM
five goals against Geelong with some big marks included.

Firstly, that game was more than three years ago.

His stats were 7 kicks, 3 marks (none contested), 2 handballs, 5 goals, 1 tackle, 1 hitout.

His 3 marks were 1 x Joe the Goose, 1 x on the lead & 1 x chest mark to the fat side.

No big marks that day either.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 05:28 PM

His stats were 7 kicks, 3 marks (none contested), 2 handballs, 5 goals, 1 tackle, 1 hitout.

His 3 marks were 1 x Joe the Goose, 1 x on the lead & 1 x chest mark to the fat side.

I think I remember that day well. He banged a fluke snap shot from around the corner for his first (boundary and distance). I clearly remember him outmarking Mooney in that first quarter too. Not a huge mark but I'd call it contested.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 05:29 PM

ok, SS, sounds like your not a fan and he should be dropped and bring Street in:D

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2008, 06:50 PM
ok, SS, sounds like your not a fan and he should be dropped and bring Street in:D

Oh God no.

Skipper is ordinary but Street is much, much worse.

I actually think Skipper is a pretty good ruckman, he's just too short to do it at AFL level.

hujsh
31-08-2008, 06:53 PM
What did people make of Minno's performance? I thought he was fairly good.

1eyedog
31-08-2008, 07:09 PM

Not saying a lot BaD. Maric's only played a handful and doesn't even come from a footy back ground. He's just big.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Oh God no.

Skipper is ordinary but Street is much, much worse.

I actually think Skipper is a pretty good ruckman, he's just too short to do it at AFL level.

I agree he is too short. But for now, we are stuck with picking either Skipper or Street if Huddo doesn't come up. All I was saying was that Street is a better tap ruckman but doesn't give enough around the ground, which I think Skipper can.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Not saying a lot BaD. Maric's only played a handful and doesn't even come from a footy back ground. He's just big.

Despite that, I think Minno has been doing a pretty good job in the ruck over the past month or so.

Lets hope Hudson is going to be ok.

The Pie Man
31-08-2008, 11:10 PM
I've quite vivid memories of Street dobbing goals from 35-50 range like some deadeye dick when he was getting regular game time with us during '06 and '07....

He's got this hilarious bicycle kicking style when from distance, he jumps right through it and his legs cycle after connection. Agreed, he's not a bad set shot for goal.

I just hope we can get something for him instead of a straight delisting, it's clear he's gone