PDA

View Full Version : In-Focus: Hawthorn: Brent Guerra

bulldogtragic
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Opposition Player Profile:

Brent Guerra

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:bhbS4FH6zo8igM:http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2007/03/28/RF_hawthorn_6_gallery__237x400.jpg

Tough and nuggety half back flanker, who has knocked up getting the ball in 2008, averaging just over 20 possies a game. That said though, to me he is a smaller and tougher clone of Joel Bowden. Gets cheap and easy kicks down back, whilst statistically very good, I don’t rate him as a serious threat. But if he gets clear run and gets free and can create the play down back, that allows Hodge to move to a more attacking position, so we need to shut him down, and have a player that can hurt him on the counter attack.

Traits:

At 181cm and 91kg he certainly isn’t a hulk.

He is speedy without being super quick, he wants to roam free down back, get easy touches and try to set up the play allowing Hodge to be a little bit further down field and far more attacking. We need to be making him accountable.

For me, we need a player who can out run him, with speed an element to run off in an attack and run and pressure when he has the ball.

The Match-Up (For me at least)

I will throw Josh Hill at him.

Hill 186cm and 79kg

Hill has got a stronger frame than say a Harbrow and has 5cm on Guerra, and is very good in the air. Hill has good closing speed but needs to be switched on. For me Hill is the first option:

Player Totals for Season 2008

Brent Guerra
2008 Games 18
k-------h--------- av. disp-----m-------av-----h/o av-----tack------av------f/f----f/a------goal----av---b/h
232------139------20.6 ---------113-----6.3------0----------28-------1.5------11-----10-------0------0----4

Josh Hill
2008 Games 15

k-------h--------- av. disp-----m-------av-----h/o av-----tack------av------f/f----f/a------goal----av------b/h
146------81------15.1 ---------85-----5.7------1----------36-------2.4--------6-----10-------12------0.8----13

Guerra is a play maker and needs pressure. So much work goes into Hodge and others that Guerra seems to be forgotten. Josh has got height, agility and speed over him, and has a tackle count to show he can put the pressure on. On the counter attack, I think Josh can expose him. And give the Western Bulldogs an advantage in this game.Guerra is an underestimated player and needs to be shut down but I believe can exploited on the counter attack.

bornadog
01-09-2008, 04:39 PM
How about Harbrow on him to stop his run out of the backline?

bulldogtragic
01-09-2008, 04:43 PM
How about Harbrow on him to stop his run out of the backline?
I looked at that one too. But Guerra has a couple on inches on him, and a headp os weight and strength. I was thinking Harbrow on Rioli, but i will wait for Rioli's profile to come up in the next few days and post there.

Sedat
01-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Guerra and Birchall are 2 of the most unaccountable defenders in the AFL. They guard nothing but space and wherever possible Hawthorn launches their attacking thrusts through these two. We need to ensure these guys are kept honest and play through their direct opponents as much as possible. That will require quick movement by hand to break apart the cluster, which is exactly what we did in Launceston earlier this year - if we can successfully do this, the likes of Welsh, Johnno, Aker and Murph will have an absolute field day.

Hawthorn's forward line weapons will be discussed ad nauseum this week, just like they were the week before our last game with them. But the reality is that our mobile forward line poses all sorts of match-up problems for the Hawk defenders. For starters, who the hell does Croad and Gilham play on? Minson on occasions but there's no other obvious match-ups. By contrast, Geelong's defenders can play small and tall, and they know exactly when to zone off their man to assist a teammate - Hawthorn's defenders haven't refined this skill as yet. If we get it in quickly up forward we should generate more than enough scoring opportunities to post a winning score.

GVGjr
01-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Guerra has been a real ball magnet and a driving force for the Hawks. Like Bornadog mentioned we might nearly need to tag him with Harbrow. Harbrow could still hurt him defensively as well.

Happy Days
01-09-2008, 07:28 PM
He's a tricky one..

Guerra's one of those guys who can really hurt a team, as there are many more players who get tagged ahead of him, but he is too good to cop a 4th string tagger.

Harbrow looms as the way to go, but I'd be looking for the early switch, just in case he's not up to it. Perhaps Farren could take him, providing he's in the team this week.

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Dont rate him. Slow and unaccountable. A good player like Aker, Gia etc could carve him up. We need to keep our forward line open, so our forwards have plenty time and space to expose Hawthorn one on one.

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Sorry but Guerra isn't an opposition player that will hurt us.

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Sorry but Guerra isn't an opposition player that will hurt us.
I look forward to your analysis of Buddy, Mitchell, Sewell or Roughy then.

I think Guerra has been a solid performer who sets up a lot of play for them. For a player at his 3rd club he has done better than expected to be a regular in such a strong team.
I reckon his kicking is very effective and he starts a lot of play for them with his pin point passes to the attacking midfielders.

LostDoggy
01-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I look forward to your analysis of Buddy, Mitchell, Sewell or Roughy then.

I think Guerra has been a solid performer who sets up a lot of play for them. For a player at his 3rd club he has done better than expected to be a regular in such a strong team.
I reckon his kicking is very effective and he starts a lot of play for them with his pin point passes to the attacking midfielders.

Why do I need to do a write up? I just don't rate Guerra as highly as say 10-15 other Hawks.
I doubt Eade does as well.