PDA

View Full Version : Inside Rocket's Mind

LostDoggy
03-09-2008, 03:31 PM
There are 2 positions up for grabs on Friday.

1) Between Harbrow / Higgins as a small forward, and someone who is willing to chase and tackle all night long. Definitely would go with Harbrow for defensive pressure and pure pace.

2) Between Wight / Everitt / Tiller as an extra tall down back. We all know that Tiller doesnt play tall, that Everitt is horribly out of form, and that Wight is just on the comeback after an injury - this spot is going to be our weakest link. My thinking is that he will pick Wight given that he has finals experience and we are looking short down back.

B: Hargrave Harris Callan
HB: Gilbee Morris Aker
C: Griffen Boyd Eagleton
HF: Gian Hahn Murphy
F: Johnno Minson Welsh
R: Hudson Cross Cooney
Int: Ray Harbrow Hill Wight
Emg: Higgins Tiller Skipper

In: Hudson Ray Wight
Out: Skipper Reid Higgins

* there may be the possibility that Eade will really roll the dice and include Higgins i/o Wight - it would be a gamble not to have another tall defensive option, but it would mean an all out attacking policy designed to run the Hawks off their feet.

The keys will be 1) Morris being competitive against Buddy; 2) Midfield pressure / tackling; 3) Hahn / Murphy presenting across half forward.

Mantis
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
You raise some valid points.

I too would like some back up for our defence, but understand that this may not happen.

I agree that we have played over the past couple of games an extra small forward and I don't think we can afford that luxury again. Higgins hasn't shown the same polish with the ball in hand as we have seen before and is pretty poor defensively so might be squeezed out.

It certainly is going to be interesting selection week and I look forward to seeing what they come up when teams are announced late tomorrow afternoon.

Cyberdoggie
03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
There are 2 positions up for grabs on Friday.

1) Between Harbrow / Higgins as a small forward, and someone who is willing to chase and tackle all night long. Definitely would go with Harbrow for defensive pressure and pure pace.

2) Between Wight / Everitt / Tiller as an extra tall down back. We all know that Tiller doesnt play tall, that Everitt is horribly out of form, and that Wight is just on the comeback after an injury - this spot is going to be our weakest link. My thinking is that he will pick Wight given that he has finals experience and we are looking short down back.

B: Hargrave Harris Callan
HB: Gilbee Morris Aker
C: Griffen Boyd Eagleton
HF: Gian Hahn Murphy
F: Johnno Minson Welsh
R: Hudson Cross Cooney
Int: Ray Harbrow Hill Wight
Emg: Higgins Tiller Skipper

In: Hudson Ray Wight
Out: Skipper Reid Higgins

* there may be the possibility that Eade will really roll the dice and include Higgins i/o Wight - it would be a gamble not to have another tall defensive option, but it would mean an all out attacking policy designed to run the Hawks off their feet.

The keys will be 1) Morris being competitive against Buddy; 2) Midfield pressure / tackling; 3) Hahn / Murphy presenting across half forward.

I totally agree with your line of thinking,

which means it most likely won't happen like that.

I'd say Tiller would get picked over wight, and I definately think Higgins will stay
in the team. He's done nothing so far but he is more mature than the others and is more likely to turn it on than the others in a big game. With Aker in defence, Higgins and Harbrow need to perform.

The other concern is Minson/Hudson. If Hudson can't play then it robs us of a tall bustling forward option which i think works well for Higgins/Harbrow. When Minson is up forward Harbrow is a much better player. The ball comes in the traditional way more often and gives him a chance to get the ball front and center.

LostDoggy
03-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't think we aren't a better chance to beat the Hawks with Wight in the side at the expense of Higgins.

Who is his match up?

Mantis
03-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't think we aren't a better chance to beat the Hawks with Wight in the side at the expense of Higgins.

Who is his match up?

I think he is back-up if one of Morris, Lake or Hargrave get injured, which hopefully doesn't happen.

He is also back-up if Lake or Morris can't hold Roughead or Franklin....Yes he probably wont do any better, but we do need to have secondary plans.

He may also be used on a resting ruckman.

Not saying we should play Wight, but there are reasons we might.

The Pie Man
03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Tiller's probably got an edge in pace on Wight, and is in better form. Don't think he'll play, though if they go the extra defensive option then it's probably him.

If Morris starts getting whacked, it's out of Hargrave & Lake to try next.

LostDoggy
03-09-2008, 09:33 PM
It is a shame that Everitt has shown zero form this year! he could have solved a few problems - as an extra tall defensive option or a running HBF / Winger.

Friday night - itll be a bit slippery (with any luck) and then our smaller running brigade will come into it. If it is going to be slippery - Rocket will definitely opt for Higgins instead of another tall defender.

bornadog
03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
It is a shame that Everitt has shown zero form this year! he could have solved a few problems - as an extra tall defensive option or a running HBF / Winger.

Friday night - itll be a bit slippery (with any luck) and then our smaller running brigade will come into it. If it is going to be slippery - Rocket will definitely opt for Higgins instead of another tall defender.

Everitt turned 19 a few months ago, he is very inexperienced, had no preseason. I am sure he will be a KPP in the future, but at this stage we can't rely on him.

Tiller, unfortunately is too short to be a KPP, which leaves Wight.

Wight , knowing that Williams was injured, could have really made a statement to the coaching staff , by going out there and taking the CHB role by the scruff of the neck and making it his own. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown a lot at Willy. He has been servicable, but it hasn't warranted senior selection. The opportunity was there for the taking.

FrediKanoute
03-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Everitt turned 19 a few months ago, he is very inexperienced, had no preseason. I am sure he will be a KPP in the future, but at this stage we can't rely on him.

Tiller, unfortunately is too short to be a KPP, which leaves Wight.

Wight , knowing that Williams was injured, could have really made a statement to the coaching staff , by going out there and taking the CHB role by the scruff of the neck and making it his own. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown a lot at Willy. He has been servicable, but it hasn't warranted senior selection. The opportunity was there for the taking.

I don't see Wight playing. he hasn't had a look in for the 2nd half of the season especially once Williams was preferred to him and even with Williams out, the logical replacement in Wight still hasn't gotten a game.

If Morris can't beat Buddy I can't see Wight doing it.

LostDoggy
03-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I think he is back-up if one of Morris, Lake or Hargrave get injured, which hopefully doesn't happen.

He is also back-up if Lake or Morris can't hold Roughead or Franklin....Yes he probably wont do any better, but we do need to have secondary plans.

He may also be used on a resting ruckman.

Not saying we should play Wight, but there are reasons we might.

We haven't gone with a backup for a number of games now.
I think our primary plan is to win it in the centre and deny the Hawks easy entry. The first choice defenders are the secondary plan. A third plan in a poor backup in Wight is not going to change anything.

Mofra
04-09-2008, 10:18 AM
I think Higgins in is the back-up. The game will be won or lost in the centre, and I rate Higgin's disposal in close. This gives us a back-up if we are losing in the middle, because the world's greatest CHB wont help us if we continuously cede first use of the ball to Hawthorn.

1eyedog
04-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I think Higgins in is the back-up. The game will be won or lost in the centre, and I rate Higgin's disposal in close. This gives us a back-up if we are losing in the middle, because the world's greatest CHB wont help us if we continuously cede first use of the ball to Hawthorn.

Maybe. Haven't seen enough of it generally let alone in a finals match though. A young, albeit talented, inexperienced kid? Not much collateral if the rest of our mids are losing in the centre.

1eyedog
04-09-2008, 10:35 AM
We haven't gone with a backup for a number of games now.
I think our primary plan is to win it in the centre and deny the Hawks easy entry. The first choice defenders are the secondary plan. A third plan in a poor backup in Wight is not going to change anything.

We have only played Franklin once and Williams was on him last time. I think this is getting over-simplified and I feel sorry for Morris who is giving away 6+cm. Rather than Higgins, who's match fitness and hardness is suspect IMO I would bring in an extra tall as insurance if Morris gets a baking. I don't know who it would be but I'd be looking at Everitt, who can also play as a link up along the wing i.e. he is more versatile than Wight. I would not bring in Tiller as he does not have the height or speed to match Buddy, he is dead wood. At least with Everitt we would have an option. To say if Morris fails than everyone fails is Doomsday Soothsayer mumbo jumbo, Morris may have an off day and Everitt may play a blinder. We know he is capable of it and even though he hasn't displayed his talent this season a finals campaign might be the tonic. I don't see what we've got to lose, Higgins in the midfield rotations doesn't really imbue one with a lot of confidence. If Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, Cross, Gia, Aker are beaten Higgins ain't gonna make any difference in there either. Time to step up and earn your number son!

The Underdog
04-09-2008, 11:42 AM
We have only played Franklin once and Williams was on him last time. I think this is getting over-simplified and I feel sorry for Morris who is giving away 6+cm. Rather than Higgins, who's match fitness and hardness is suspect IMO I would bring in an extra tall as insurance if Morris gets a baking. I don't know who it would be but I'd be looking at Everitt, who can also play as a link up along the wing i.e. he is more versatile than Wight. I would not bring in Tiller as he does not have the height or speed to match Buddy, he is dead wood. At least with Everitt we would have an option. To say if Morris fails than everyone fails is Doomsday Soothsayer mumbo jumbo, Morris may have an off day and Everitt may play a blinder. We know he is capable of it and even though he hasn't displayed his talent this season a finals campaign might be the tonic. I don't see what we've got to lose, Higgins in the midfield rotations doesn't really imbue one with a lot of confidence. If Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, Cross, Gia, Aker are beaten Higgins ain't gonna make any difference in there either. Time to step up and earn your number son!

If Morris fails, then it's more likely that the team is giving up too much of the footy and not supporting him down back. If we're going to try Everitt on him we may as well use Hargrave and move Morris onto Williams/Rioli or swap Morris and Lake. I'd be surprised if Morris gets moved at all if the other matchups are working though. I would feel better if we had tall backup as you say, but none of Tiller, Everitt or Wight have been able to prove themselves under normal game pressure recently. Asking them to suddenly step up in a finals game might be a bit much. I think we're likely to go with as strong a midfield/running game as we can and just try to get more of it than they do. If Buddy is slaughtering Morris and they're beating us out of the middle then we're really just rearranging deckchairs, Everitt would likely be an extra deckchair but that's not going to save us.

LostDoggy
04-09-2008, 11:58 AM
IN -Hudson, Everitt, Ray
OUT-Skipper,Harbrow,Reid

1eyedog
04-09-2008, 12:22 PM
If Morris fails, then it's more likely that the team is giving up too much of the footy and not supporting him down back. If we're going to try Everitt on him we may as well use Hargrave and move Morris onto Williams/Rioli or swap Morris and Lake. I'd be surprised if Morris gets moved at all if the other matchups are working though. I would feel better if we had tall backup as you say, but none of Tiller, Everitt or Wight have been able to prove themselves under normal game pressure recently. Asking them to suddenly step up in a finals game might be a bit much. I think we're likely to go with as strong a midfield/running game as we can and just try to get more of it than they do. If Buddy is slaughtering Morris and they're beating us out of the middle then we're really just rearranging deckchairs, Everitt would likely be an extra deckchair but that's not going to save us.

I hear what you are saying, unfortunately we just don't have quality tall cattle atm. I hate it when Morris and Shaggy have to play tall. All the back up has to do is jump and punch damn it!

Happy Days
04-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Isn't this the beauty of the double chance...

If we stuff it up this week, we can change it the next...worst case scenario of course :)

That said, I think that we need Higgins in the team...he has that quality about him where he could explode at any given moment and turn a game on its head. He's not filling anyone with confidence with his current form, but i can see him producing great things on a big stage.

1eyedog
04-09-2008, 01:09 PM

If we stuff it up this week, we can change it the next...worst case scenario of course :)

That said, I think that we need Higgins in the team...he has that quality about him where he could explode at any given moment and turn a game on its head. He's not filling anyone with confidence with his current form, but i can see him producing great things on a big stage.

Just like I can with Everitt....................eventually

If we lose go out in straight sets this finals series we will not get 25,000 members next year.

LostDoggy
04-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Spot on! Bugger the additional defender. Lets play Higgins and see what he can do - he has the talent and quality needed to shine in finals. We have to back our midfield to do their job and restrict the quality/volume of possession coming into the Hawks forward line. If they can do that, and have multiple scording options up front (which we all know that we have), then i like our chances!

LostDoggy
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
We have only played Franklin once and Williams was on him last time. I think this is getting over-simplified and I feel sorry for Morris who is giving away 6+cm. Rather than Higgins, who's match fitness and hardness is suspect IMO I would bring in an extra tall as insurance if Morris gets a baking.

If Wight, Tiller or Everitt is the insurance on Franklin, I'll risk it and go without. Better off making sure the ball doesn't get to Franklin as much.
To bring them in to play on other talls other than Buddy or Roughead I can understand but not on those 2 guns.

Mantis
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Spot on! Bugger the additional defender. Lets play Higgins and see what he can do - he has the talent and quality needed to shine in finals. We have to back our midfield to do their job and restrict the quality/volume of possession coming into the Hawks forward line. If they can do that, and have multiple scording options up front (which we all know that we have), then i like our chances!

But bringing in an additional defender means we would simply be returning to status quo. We played one defender short last week, I don't think we can do it again. I would hate for any of our defender's to get injured this week as this would result in a major re-shuffle.

1eyedog
04-09-2008, 04:19 PM

He has really done bugger all yet and cannot be expected to shine in the finals at this stage. He has as much chance as Everitt of shining IMO and I guess it comes down to which paddock Rocket wants to put his cattle.

1eyedog
04-09-2008, 04:20 PM
If Wight, Tiller or Everitt is the insurance on Franklin, I'll risk it and go without. Better off making sure the ball doesn't get to Franklin as much.
To bring them in to play on other talls other than Buddy or Roughead I can understand but not on those 2 guns.

I get your point, it's a major dilemma for us. It is really worrying that our plan B on Franklin is Hargrave.

bornadog
04-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I get your point, it's a major dilemma for us. It is really worrying that our plan B on Franklin is Hargrave.

Forget Franklin, we need to make the Hawks hunt us. We have kicked more goals than the Hawks and that must continue tomorrow. We have to hurt them in the midfield and get the ball down to our forwards.

The key to us winning is

a rampant Cooney, Griffen, Aker, Gia,
workman like Huddo, Boyd and Cross,
class of Johnno, Gilbee and Murphy
Bullocking and hard tackling from Hahn, Harbrow, Callen
and a backline that is tight and turnover free.

So f*ck Franklin and Roughhead and lets give it to them.

sorry...........I"ll get back to work now:D

LostDoggy
04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm still feeling good about tomorrow night. Everyone expects/wants a Geelong vs Hawks GF.

GVGjr
04-09-2008, 07:33 PM
It's times like this that you realise just how important Scott Wynd was when he played infront of the oncoming forwards.

The game is very different now though and they coach around people clogging up the the forward area. I liked Scott Wynd but I didn't rate him anywhere near what a lot of my mates, and many others, did.

Wynd did well stopping guys like Plugger dominate games but I doubt even at his best he could do much with the fleet footed Franklin.