PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Finals Edition - Bulldogs vs Hawks

GVGjr
05-09-2008, 06:58 AM
This is the thread for this evenings game.

Dogs by 12 points, Cooney the first goal and Lake for the BOG.

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
A must win game for us, I see this as our biggest test and I think they will grab it with both hands and shake the living suitcase out of it,

PREDICTION: Western Bulldogs by 22 points

B.O.G. Adam Cooney

Happy Days
05-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Dogs by 11
Johnno 1st goal
Higgins to silence a select few from this site and get BOG :)

The Underdog
05-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Dogs by 7 points.
Johnson first goal.
Morris for BOG.
This is like Christmas, but you don't know whether you're getting a bike or underpants:o.

I'll join the spelling police and mention that it should be edition, not addition. Unless of course you mean an addition to the previous ones, not anfinals edition, in which case ignore me.

Bulldog Revolution
05-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Dogs by 4 points. Harbrows hurried snap in the air as the siren sounds sailing sweetly through the goal posts - it's ok to dream right?

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Aker turns it on for the big stage kicking freakish goals from outside 50 and on a tight corner on the run fed by a feriocious Cooney. Dogs by 16 points. Cooney showing why he was pick No 1 getting BOG

Sedat
05-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Dogs by 31 - Griffen BOG, and will have a cracking finals series

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Aker turns it on for the big stage kicking freakish goals from outside 50 and on a tight corner on the run fed by a feriocious Cooney. Dogs by 16 points. Cooney showing why he was pick No 1 getting BOG

This is the reason Aker was recruited to the club to proform on the big Stage.

Ozza
05-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Just FYI - My mail is that Campbell Crown will definitely play.
He has a chipped bone in his foot and can't kick long , but will definitely play.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Hawks coming in with a few underdone/injured players in Crawf and Brown...definitely feeling more positive today.

Just about to jump in the shower and make my way to the airport.

Dogs by 17, Ray for our first, Murphy for BOG.

Can't wait.

Mantis
05-09-2008, 11:02 AM
* Awaiting abuse*

Hawks by 25pts.

As much as I want us to win, realistically I don't think we will.

We would need a massive turn in form to win tonight. I do hope we have been foxing for the last 6 weeks and hopefully we have a switch which will magically turn us into the team we saw in the first 2/3 of the season, a hard unit who executed the game plan to a tee with precise ball movement and hard defensive running.

I am hoping we can and I hope my selection is wrong.

1eyedog
05-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Dogs by 11
Johnno 1st goal
Higgins to silence a select few from this site and get BOG :)

And then I'll eat my scarf.

Scraggers by 23 points
Welsh first goal
Morris BOG

Go_Dogs
05-09-2008, 11:06 AM
* Awaiting abuse*

Hawks by 25pts.

I've thought similar during the week, but today I am confident. We've been waiting all year for a chance to prove ourselves, it has finally arrived now. If we want respect in the football world, it has to be today.

I think we will want it more, be more ferocious in the contest and desperate than the Hawks.

Mantis
05-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I've thought similar during the week, but today I am confident. We've been waiting all year for a chance to prove ourselves, it has finally arrived now. If we want respect in the football world, it has to be today.

I think we will want it more, be more ferocious in the contest and desperate than the Hawks.

Totally agree.

I know our best will win this game, just not sure if we can/ will produce it.

The Coon Dog
05-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Just FYI - My mail is that Campbell Crown will definitely play.
He has a chipped bone in his foot and can't kick long , but will definitely play.
Be a real shame if Will Minson accidently stood on it on purpose.;)

Sedat
05-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I can definitely see this happening. We had a nice hard slog against Adelaide out in the elements last week. By contrast Hawthorn had glorified circle work under the roof against a team that had clocked off for the season. The Hawthorn cluster game plan is unproven in finals - they barely squeaked over the line against Adelaide last year only through the supreme individual efforts from Hodge and Franklin, and they were ruthlessly exposed against North the following week. The massive question everyone is asking of us at the moment might just be directed at Waverly Park tomorrow.

aker39
05-09-2008, 11:23 AM
* Awaiting abuse*

Hawks by 25pts.

We would need a massive turn in form to win tonight. I do hope we have been foxing for the last 6 weeks and hopefully we have a switch which will magically turn us into the team we saw in the first 2/3 of the season, a hard unit who executed the game plan to a tee with precise ball movement and hard defensive running.

They have been my thoughts for the last 5 weeks, but after seeing the game in Adelaide, I actually thought we had some of our real committment to the ball back. In the wet conditions, we put our bodies over the ball and found some form.

Like you, I am more hoping we can win than actually thinking we can, but after last week, there is just that little more hope.

Topdog
05-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I have never been more excited 7 hours away from a game. BRING IT ON!!

Got a feeling we will really come out firing and be up by 2-3 goals at qtr time.

Dogs by 10, Franklin to kick 6.5, Aker B.O.G.

and that spelling mistake is just pissing me off so I am changing it.

Mantis
05-09-2008, 11:37 AM
They have been my thoughts for the last 5 weeks, but after seeing the game in Adelaide, I actually thought we had some of our real committment to the ball back. In the wet conditions, we put our bodies over the ball and found some form.

Like you, I am more hoping we can win than actually thinking we can, but after last week, there is just that little more hope.

I'm not so worried to our ability to win the hard ball as I am that we will use the ball well. Our decision making and skill level haven't been great over the last 6 or 7 weeks.

Rocket Science
05-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Can't guess with any confidence how tonight might unfold...so many variables.

Can only hope the boys' play reflects the stakes and we grasp the opportunity to forge respect and success...We're quite capable of handling the Hawks, which is partly why it'll sting if we don't.

Expecting a torrid encounter with plenty of niggle. We need to focus.

Dogs by 12 points...Johnno bags our first major...Murph BOG.

aker39
05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
This was posted on another website and I thought it worthy of being repeated here.

On Tuesday night the team went to the Precinct (Darcy’s pub in Richmond) for a team dinner. When they got there they were met by Luke Darcy, Rohan Smith and Chris Grant who all gave the rev about finals and stuff.

When dinner was over they all thought they were going home but the club put them all on a bus and took them over to the ‘G. They went down into some room where they were shown their highlights of 2008 together with messages from ‘famous people’.

They were then taken down the race in darkness with one light shining on Charlie Sutton standing on the edge of the G holding the 1954 cup. He proceeded to tell them they were the 1954 team reincarnated and the they were going to win this year. Passed the cup around. Half the players were crying.

I'm getting excited. I don't think there's going to be much work done today.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2008, 12:04 PM
This was posted on another website and I thought it worthy of being repeated here.

On Tuesday night the team went to the Precinct (Darcy’s pub in Richmond) for a team dinner. When they got there they were met by Luke Darcy, Rohan Smith and Chris Grant who all gave the rev about finals and stuff.

When dinner was over they all thought they were going home but the club put them all on a bus and took them over to the ‘G. They went down into some room where they were shown their highlights of 2008 together with messages from ‘famous people’.

They were then taken down the race in darkness with one light shining on Charlie Sutton standing on the edge of the G holding the 1954 cup. He proceeded to tell them they were the 1954 team reincarnated and the they were going to win this year. Passed the cup around. Half the players were crying.

This is why I love elite sport.

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Anticipation..
Excitement..
Tiredness..

These emotions will get me through the day before i head down to 'The Peoples Ground' later on.

Doggies by 16pts
Johnno for the first major
Akermanis (you superstar) for B.O.G

And if thats what the players did what Aker39 mentioned, if thats not inspiration i dont know what is :)

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I've been waiting weeks for this game!

Dogs by 26 points. First goal to Johnno.

Noticed on the various footy shows last night no-one is tipping the Dogs. Even the betting has Hawks clear out favourites. Stuff 'em all!

bornadog
05-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Other than beating Geelong, this is the game I really want to win. I am sick and tired of Hawks supporters whinging and carrying on about the Tassie game, plus of course we go straight to the prelim.

First goal - Johnno - I think he will be inspirational tonight

BOG - Got to be COOOOOOOOOOOOONNEEY

Prediction - Dogs by 21 points.

lion in the midst
05-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Dogs by 22, extremely close first half, dogs pull away in the second half.

Welsh for first major.

BOG Aker

Mantis
05-09-2008, 12:31 PM

Alright, **** it I've changed my mind. After reading that we will win, just because we have to.

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 12:35 PM
God I love Septmeber

Ozza
05-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Have been nervous since last week and absolutely sh1tting myself today!!
Can't wait to get there....it would be so satisfying to knock these bunch of pr1cks off...half of my office are Hawthorn supporters and the cockiness is out of control!!

Dogs by 14 points.
Welsh the first goal.
Johnson BOG.

Ozza
05-09-2008, 01:11 PM

UNBELIEVABLE!!! Read that and had to call the old man straight away to recite....reckon that might have been just what we needed...

1eyedog
05-09-2008, 01:22 PM
This is why I love elite sport.

This passion can also be stirred in grass roots football. This is why I love sport in general.

BulldogBelle
05-09-2008, 01:35 PM

WOW....

That is some pretty heavy stuff. Very emotional.

l am nervous but quietly confident.

The Pie Man
05-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Alright, **** it I've changed my mind. After reading that we will win, just because we have to.

I'm with you - I've been looking forward to tonight from an atmosphere perspective (and I'm crook as a dog which isn't helping) but not much else (was thinking Hawks by 7 oals honestly)

But after reading that.....well they sure won't be lacking in motivation

Was just reading the history of the Footscray book, amazing we were in the finals so many times b/w 38 & 51 without winning a single game in September, 54 must have been so special.

Bulldog Revolution
05-09-2008, 01:57 PM

That's more like it,

We are not expected to win, and there is perhaps no real logic to picking us to win, but do it anyway.

Today is the day for believing, not thinking

And as for Browns foot - he cant kick long when fit anyway so he'll be exactly the same player he always is

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2008, 02:16 PM

Exactly my thoughts too.

Never been this excited for a game - ever.

Mofra
05-09-2008, 02:26 PM
If ever there was a set-up for a famous victory, this was it.
Gilbee & Hargrave are made for piercing the Hawk zone, some Hawks suggesting they will try to go man on man for the game. If they do, we'll direct ball through their weakest links (ie. whoever gets Dew, and Rob Murphy as he is better than any defender they have). Griffen is made for finals and is due for a big one.

Hawks to lead at quarter time, Eade to pull some strange moves, Bulldogs to win by 11 points with Aker to kick the sealer

lion in the midst
05-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Hawks to lead at quarter time, Eade to pull some strange moves, Bulldogs to win by 11 points with Aker to kick the sealer

Thats how I see it, hawks up a little at quarter time, maybe half time and the dogs to fight their way ahead in the second half, to pull out a gutsy hard fought win

lion in the midst
05-09-2008, 02:45 PM
But I also think its pretty crutial Hudson plays

Dry Rot
05-09-2008, 03:31 PM
What's the weather like down there? Any chance of showers?

Ozza
05-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Wouldn't have thought so. Shaping up to be a perfect night for footy - haven't checked in with the bureau though!

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Hasnt rained yet....

Forecast for Friday
A shower or two, but fine for most of the time. Partly cloudy with a light to
moderate northerly winds.

Mantis
05-09-2008, 03:41 PM
There's a few showers on there way from the NW, but it doesn't look like too much so we should be in for a good night for footy.

Dry Rot
05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Hasnt rained yet....

Forecast for Friday
A shower or two, but fine for most of the time. Partly cloudy with a light to
moderate northerly winds.

There's a few showers on there way from the NW, but it doesn't look like too much so we should be in for a good night for footy.

Thanks.

Would a wet ground suit us more than them?

osakabulldog
05-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Murphy first goal, Boyd BOG (!), Lance Wanklin to kick 4.7, game all but over at quarter time, dogs by 36.
Am in Japan, waiting waiting waiting to finish work and get home to listen

BulldogBelle
05-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Dogs by 22 points.
BOG - Adam Cooney
Johnson to be the first goalkicker.

bornadog
05-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Weather buruea says 45 to 50% chance of rain.

Bulldog4life
05-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Weather buruea says 45 to 50% chance of rain.

Be wise to be prepared if you are out in the open.:)

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Deep sigh. I am going to miss the first 10 mins a least. The woman finishes work in port melbourne at 7 so we have to rush from there to Southern Cross catch a train to Jolimont and get in. Sorry to anyone sitting behind me in N9.

Rach
05-09-2008, 05:18 PM
First goal - Hahn
BOG - Johnno
Dogs by 22 points!

I am so disappointed that this game isn't live here. Stupid channel 7 Sydney :mad:

Sockeye Salmon
05-09-2008, 05:31 PM
What's the weather like down there? Any chance of showers?

It's starting to look a bit grey

G-Mo77
05-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm really starting to get nervous now! I have about 30 minutes until I make the long drive to the MCG a place that I rarely go to so I hope I don't get lost. I'm feeling exactly the same as I did way back in 2006, nervous and uneasy. This is a game that could make or break us, lose this one and it's a long hard road back to the top. Winning this game gives us an enormous edge in making that last game in September, I really hope our boys are up to it.

It is time this team took the next step, 11 years ago we were almost there and let it slip. 11 years? 2008 is the best chance we have had since that day IMO. We have all been waiting a long time for this team to go that extra yard. The time is now!

GO DOGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOG GOD
05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Yes the time is now...good luck to the boys...my guts is churning and i wont even be there.

hujsh
05-09-2008, 06:13 PM

That really woke me up. We're playing finals. And we're top 4

cinder
05-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Nice post by Aker.
I'm trying to remain calm. Don't want to get too many hopes up.
Wish I had tickets where you guys all arranged to be, that'll teach me to buy tickets before reading the forums. Oh well, next game! :D

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 06:56 PM
This was posted on another website and I thought it worthy of being repeated here.They were then taken down the race in darkness with one light shining on Charlie Sutton standing on the edge of the G holding the 1954 cup. He proceeded to tell them they were the 1954 team reincarnated and the they were going to win this year. Passed the cup around. Half the players were crying. [/I]

Just about to head off and glad I read this first. What a wonderful moment that would have been.

Dry Rot
05-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Any late changes to either team?

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Sitting here outside gate 5 awaiting my cousins arrival..

The weather seems fine right now hopefully it holds up

Only 50mins till that bounce, gunna be annoyed if I miss it because my cuz is late ;)

LostDog
05-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Brian Lake ? wheres your head at

NoName
05-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Come on - need to fire up!!

LostDog
05-09-2008, 09:27 PM
we are in serious trouble, back line is shaky

LostDog
05-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Lets trade Lake for Darren Glass

NoName
05-09-2008, 09:33 PM
What is going on??!! Looks like it is going to be a long night :(

Dry Rot
05-09-2008, 09:41 PM
This is getting ugly. There's no mystery about our poor recent form, no magic recovery now.

LostDog
05-09-2008, 09:42 PM
im heart broken again,

NoName
05-09-2008, 09:44 PM
im heart broken again,

There is only so many times one can be heart broken before giving up - and being 30 points down in the second qtr is not helping :mad:

NoName
05-09-2008, 09:46 PM
BTW - Am I the only one who is over all of this Buddy love?? - it's making more ill than what I already am.

LostDog
05-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Start praying for a St Kilda Win against Geelong

NoName
05-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Please bring on half time and re start this match. I hope Rocket puts the rocket up them, because they do not even deserve to be playing finals.

We are very lucky just to be 6 goals down - have we no forward line??

Dry Rot
05-09-2008, 09:57 PM
44 points behind.

Too sloppy, too soft, too short.

All the old problems are still there. Can't handle pressure.

Dry Rot
05-09-2008, 10:00 PM
We are very lucky just to be 6 goals down - have we no forward line??

Not one that functions under pressure.

NoName
05-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Not one that functions under pressure.

It seems no one in the team can handle pressure.:mad:

LostDog
05-09-2008, 10:07 PM
im gonna regret saying this, i wish we had the same result in 2007.
We dont deserve to be in the finals

PLEASE DOGS I BEG YOU MAKE ME EAT MY WORDS

ledge
05-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Too Buddy and Roughead conscious, you will never win games not trusting your forwards, too scared to even go 50-50 what hope you got?

NoName
05-09-2008, 10:09 PM
One can only hope that things will improve in the second half.

ledge
05-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Ran our race 6 weeks ago.
Tell me why is Aker in the backline???
The blokes reputation is kicking goals in finals, why would you recruit a brownlow medallist finals goalkicker and play him in the backline?
Way too much worry on stopping goal kickers and not thinking about how we will kick them.

NoName
05-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Aker just kicked a goal with thanks to Shaun Higgins who has gone off the ground after a hip and shoulder from a Hawthorn player.

NoName
05-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Josh Hill kicks another - just maybe, this could be the start of something?, or am I being stupid?

LostDog
05-09-2008, 10:32 PM
wasted season

Rach
05-09-2008, 10:38 PM
We're like 40 minutes or soemthing behind here, but I couldn't help it anymore. I had to look at the live score. :( I wanna know what Aker and Welsh are doing in the backline!

Rocket Science
05-09-2008, 10:58 PM
We must have set a world record tonight for consecutive turnovers by hand.

Akermanis actually had the temerity this week to ridicule anyone who suggested lead-up form had anything to do with how a team might perform in the finals.

From the mid-point of the season onward, the club has spent far too much time this year mouthing what they think people want to hear and precious little time backing any of it up.

Zero opposition, across the entire ground. Can't believe we're capable of this gutless, brainless dirge.

So much for earning some respect tonight.

ledge
05-09-2008, 11:22 PM
90% of game is played in our backline, real smart , that should stop Franklin kicking goals!
Listened to Finey on SEN last night he was adamant in the first quarter we would hit them hard because of points system they have, yeah right more like run away.

NoName
05-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Thank god that is over.

LostDog
05-09-2008, 11:46 PM
We have the dumbest full back in the comp sorry he is

hujsh
05-09-2008, 11:55 PM
We have the dumbest full back in the comp sorry he is

Thought he was clever to get those 50m penalties. Did ok on Franklin but crap on Roughead

NoName
05-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Badly missed poor old Tommy Williams tonight.

cinder
05-09-2008, 11:59 PM
It's times like this that make you wonder why you ever bothered hoping this year would be any different to any other year.
For me personally this has been the best season I've witnessed the Bulldogs have, but one has to wonder is any of it worth it when you see a performance like that. All the hard work in the first half of the season is basically for nothing - and in fact it makes it all the harder to accept losing in that fashion. Yes we have another chance but do any of us realistically think we can challenge for a premiership even if we did miraculously win against Swans or North?
I love the Dogs and I will follow them through thick or thin, even if they win the wooden spoon for the next 10 years. But it is tough to see so much promise early on in a season, only to wonder what happened to that team that was playing so wonderfully. Maybe it is just time to accept it is not going to happen this year. Maybe it's time to accept it's never going to happen?
I'm proud of our Dogs and what they've achieved this year, but sometimes you just wish ... you could have the fairy tale Geelong had in 07!

NoName
06-09-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm only 27 and I doubt that I will ever see the Bulldogs win a flag.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2008, 12:07 AM
It's times like this that make you wonder why you ever bothered hoping this year would be any different to any other year.
For me personally this has been the best season I've witnessed the Bulldogs have, but one has to wonder is any of it worth it when you see a performance like that. All the hard work in the first half of the season is basically for nothing - and in fact it makes it all the harder to accept losing in that fashion. Yes we have another chance but do any of us realistically think we can challenge for a premiership even if we did miraculously win against Adelaide or Collingwood?
I love the Dogs and I will follow them through thick or thin, even if they win the wooden spoon for the next 10 years. But it is tough to see so much promise early on in a season, only to wonder what happened to that team that was playing so wonderfully. Maybe it is just time to accept it is not going to happen this year. Maybe it's time to accept it's never going to happen?
I'm proud of our Dogs and what they've achieved this year, but sometimes you just wish ... you could have the fairy tale Geelong had in 07!

I hear you Cinder.. it's really tough to take when the first two thirds of the season led us to believe our team had turned the corner, and was ready to duke it our with the heavyweights.
Unfortunately I think this year is over, whether we win next week or not, and some serious questions will need to be made once we drop out of the flag race.

I've been an unwavering supporter of Eade, but I must admit I'm starting to falter given the way the last couple of months have played out.

I also think we need to seriously entertain the thought of making some hard decisions with a few on our list. Some who two or three months ago seemed secure in their Bulldog future...

cinder
06-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Agree Yankee. I also have been a great supporter of Eade, but what's bothered me in the last 6 weeks or so is that fact he hasn't admitted that our form has dropped off so badly - at the very least he's conceded the fact that since we didn't have anything to play for, it's been frustrating as we've known we were going to play Hawthorn since whenever. And?? So?? Hawks and Geelong have been in the same position and remained competitive.
Eade kept saying finals footy is different and that the team were hanging out to play tonight ... well, I'd like to see what he has to say about that now quite frankly.

GVGjr
06-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Very tough day at the office and we were outplayed by a far better structured team.
We struggled all over the park, we over used the ball, made poor decision and turned the ball over way too many times.

When analysing the game it's easy to focus on how brilliant Franklin was but we need to search within first. We had a lot of passengers tonight and we need to show a lot more next week whoever we play.

The only thing that saved the night for me was having a 15 minute chat to Chris Grant at half time.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 12:32 AM
This is what I don't get -- why would, when you have 50 meters of space in front of you, turn to the side and kick it sidewards, when you could pelt 50 meters forward or at least kick it to the advantage of your forwards?

And I ask, how does one whittle down a 40 point deficit by kicking the ball around in the backline and then turning it over by hand just outside the 50?

Eagle's career is over. If he can't kick it anymore he offers absolutely zero value.

Farren Ray is pointless - let's cut our losses and throw him on the Richard Tambling "wasted early pick on skinny kid with no pressure skills" pile. Richmond will trade for him, and..

GOOD RIDDANCE SCOTT CLAYTON -- maybe we'll find someone who can recruit AFL quality talls who don't break down every two weeks. I mean, every other club can do it.

--

Now to win next week then go on to get massacred by Geelong in yet another preliminary final.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 12:34 AM
The funniest thing I remember thinking was:

"We should let Buddy mark the thing and kick set shots. He can't kick straight when he has to think about it."

Just like all dumb@$$es he works much better when his brain doesn't get a chance to engage. When he had to think about it, it was 1.1 and two shots out on the full.

The Pie Man
06-09-2008, 12:38 AM
I hear you Cinder.. it's really tough to take when the first two thirds of the season led us to believe our team had turned the corner, and was ready to duke it our with the heavyweights.
Unfortunately I think this year is over, whether we win next week or not, and some serious questions will need to be made once we drop out of the flag race.

I've been an unwavering supporter of Eade, but I must admit I'm starting to falter given the way the last couple of months have played out.

I also think we need to seriously entertain the thought of making some hard decisions with a few on our list. Some who two or three months ago seemed secure in their Bulldog future...

Clearly the first 15 rounds flattered us - to be 2nd on the ladder to that point was a real shock to me, but we were playing some terrific footy (Brisbane game probably my favourite)

If we can beat Sydney (I doubt North will beat them) next Friday and remain somewhat competitive against Geelong in the prelim, I'll take that as good experience for some of the youngens. All games at the G, and a prelim was likely beyond what the club thought it could achieve pre-season.

So while I remain philosophical, there's a few things that confuse me

* Why wasn't Minson played deeper in attack more often tonight?
* Why is Welsh drifting up the ground to get kicks?
* While I love Harbrow's intensity, why don't his tackles stick? I can probably answer that one

Other issues raised previously are Ray & Eagleton - Nathan might have one more year left, or maybe it's time to give Ward/Reid opportunities instead. Farren Ray had a howler, and I have to admit he's my new Sam Power. He has to go. Too slow, bad decision maker.

I thought all week that Lake should have had first crack at Franklin, and I thought he did ok on him. Some of Brian's handballs under pressure are stageringly poor though.

I thought Josh Hill was good, at least he flew for marks above his head when he went forward and created a contest. While Cross had a heap of it, he did nothing with it. I still love him though, massive heart.

I think I have a form of Bulldog September failure immunity these days - it helps that I'm crook and didn't have a drink today.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Nathan might have one more year left

One more year doing what? Running around (slowly) doing nothing? Worse than nothing -- turning the ball over by hand in the middle of the ground? And taking precious game time from Ward/Reid? If he doesn't jump he has to be pushed. Hard.

Then thanked for his past services and given a gold watch at the B&F. Has been a good servant, but the game is definitely past him now.

Sedat
06-09-2008, 12:48 AM
When analysing the game it's easy to focus on how brilliant Franklin was but we need to search within first. We had a lot of passengers tonight and we need to show a lot more next week whoever we play.
Our midfield effort in the first half was as embarrasing a performance as I've had the displeasure of witnessing by my team. I am a gutted supporter tonight. I said a few weeks ago that our season will be defined by our perfoemance in week 1 of the finals - sadly that has been answered in the most resounding way.

The team tonight disgraced the jumper, the club and themselves as professional footballers. With the exception of Griffen, there was no desire to put their bodies on the line for the team cause. Sewell, Mitchell, Hodge, even a guy like Osborne who is a footballer with limitations, showed the hunger, the desire at the contest to put their body on the line for the team cause.

Grant Thomas, Dermott Brereton, all the doubters have been proven to be on the money about us. When the crunch came, we were found to be ruthlessly exposed. Tonight's feeling of helplessness is even worse that preliminary final 1997.

The Pie Man
06-09-2008, 12:48 AM
One more year doing what? Running around (slowly) doing nothing? Worse than nothing -- turning the ball over by hand in the middle of the ground? And taking precious game time from Ward/Reid? If he doesn't jump he has to be pushed. Hard.

Then thanked for his past services and given a gold watch at the B&F. Has been a good servant, but the game is definitely past him now.

Yeah actually you're right. My brother on the way home was insisting both Ray & Eagleton have to go, and I was saying 'I think Eagleton will have a year left, he won't retire and we'll get nothing for him' though the more I think about it, it's probably time for a forced retirement of the Jeff Farmer at Freo variety.

The Pie Man
06-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Our midfield effort in the first half was as embarrasing a performance as I've had the displeasure of witnessing by my team. I am a gutted supporter tonight. I said a few weeks ago that our season will be defined by our perfoemance in week 1 of the finals - sadly that has been answered in the most resounding way.

The team tonight disgraced the jumper, the club and themselves as professional footballers. With the exception of Griffen, there was no desire to put their bodies on the line for the team cause. Sewell, Mitchell, Hodge, even a guy like Osborne who is a footballer with limitations, showed the hunger, the desire at the contest to put their body on the line for the team cause.

Grant Thomas, Dermott Brereton, all the doubters have been proven to be on the money about us. When the crunch came, we were found to be ruthlessly exposed. Tonight's feeling of helplessness is even worse that preliminary final 1997.

That hurts doesn't it? They spruke perceptions, it's sad that our reality is matching it.

We spoke all week of cutting supply to their forward line through midfield pressure - didn't quite work out. Have our midfielder's lost weight midyear?

bornadog
06-09-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm only 27 and I doubt that I will ever see the Bulldogs win a flag.

I am 52 and I am worried

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 12:57 AM

Totally agree.

It was so painful it was actually quite funny watching the game without pressure in the final quarter KNOWING that some of the guys were going to make mistakes and being proven right.

Didn't fire a shot all night -- and worse, didn't put ANY kind of physical pressure on Franklin and just let him play off his confidence and strut about like a dickwad. The guy is mentally fragile, but we just let him go about his business without any physicality.. just can't wait for his third drug test strike. Can't come soon enough.

That wasn't a finals game by the Dogs.. it was just home and away running around rubbish.

cinder
06-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Goodnight fellow doggies supporters. If nothing else at least we know how each other feels! That's some comfort ...
:(

1eyedog
06-09-2008, 01:01 AM
SHit, Shit, SHit, thatls ir!

GVGjr
06-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Did anyone else notice how often our players went to the interchange bench at what seemed to be the wrong time?

Happy Days
06-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I am 52 and I am worried

I'm 16 and I'm terrified.

It seems pointless to even bother with next week, it'll only lead to another pasting.

Why did Welsh even bother to turn up? I almost got as many kicks as he did. Same goes for Hahn. Far too many passengers tonight...about 20 of them to be exact.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Did anyone else notice how often our players went to the interchange bench at what seemed to be the wrong time?

It's ridiculous isn't it? You'd think that;

a) The runners would have some common sense of when to tell a player to come off.
&
b) The player himself would realize the situation and come off after the ball has cleared the vicinity.

Sedat
06-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Totally agree.

It was so painful it was actually quite funny watching the game without pressure in the final quarter KNOWING that some of the guys were going to make mistakes and being proven right.

Didn't fire a shot all night -- and worse, didn't put ANY kind of physical pressure on Franklin and just let him play off his confidence and strut about like a dickwad. The guy is mentally fragile, but we just let him go about his business without any physicality.. just can't wait for his third drug test strike. Can't come soon enough.

That wasn't a finals game by the Dogs.. it was just home and away running around rubbish.
You can blame our midfield for this. The amount of easy ball being gifted into Hawthorn's forward 50 had to be seen to be believed. Would have been an absolute nightmare being a defender for the Dogs tonight.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:19 AM
You can blame our midfield for this. The amount of easy ball being gifted into Hawthorn's forward 50 had to be seen to be believed. Would have been an absolute nightmare being a defender for the Dogs tonight.

Brad Sewell had like 13 hard ball gets and 8 centre clearances or something -- BRAD FLIPPIN' SEWELL.

What a joke.

Happy Days
06-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Brad Sewell had like 13 hard ball gets and 8 centre clearances or something -- BRAD FLIPPIN' SEWELL.

What a joke.

In all fairness he is the reigning b&f winner.

GVGjr
06-09-2008, 01:23 AM

What a joke.

He was injured for a number of weeks this year but has been a very good player for them for a couple of seasons now. He is no star but he would get a game in nearly every side.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:25 AM
He's not the Dog's b&f.

The Scott Wests and Daniel Crosses of this world are supposed to eat the Brad Sewells for breakfast. Matty Boyd?

Embarrassing.

Having said that: Hudson did pretty well in the ruck tonight -- played hard and got his hands on it with second efforts.

1eyedog
He was injured for a number of weeks this year but has been a very good player for them for a couple of seasons now. He is no star but he would get a game in nearly every side.

Yep hes a quality hard player who always slips under the radar

LostDoggy

He would certainly get a game in our side.

The Coon Dog
06-09-2008, 01:26 AM

What a joke.

Didn't Hawthorn offer him up as a trade a few years back & Melbourne didn't want him?

GVGjr
06-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Didn't Hawthorn offer him up as a trade a few years back & Melbourne didn't want him?

I think the player that Melbourne wanted to trade (Ryan Ferguson) baulked at it. You might be right though.

1eyedog
06-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Didn't Hawthorn offer him up as a trade a few years back & didn't want him?

Richmond and Freo all said no and they didn t even offer up trade bait ir an arguemnt as to why they didnt want him

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Absolutely insipid performance.

Game plan? What was it, handball to somebody under pressure yet again? Six weeks to prepare and Eade came up with this? Let's think about it, all this time, and yet we had NO strategy to combat Hawthorn's cluster. Nobody ran and nobody played accountable football. The Hawks had free players in our forward half, in the midfield & spotted up PLENTY of targets going forward. WTF were we doing, other than providing witches hats? Morris had NO help whatsoever. Couple of times he brought the ball to ground, but Buddy had support and finished it off. Absolute garbage - why didn't Minson/Hudson drop back? Why didn't midfielders run into their space?

That's the most disappointing thing. Six weeks to prepare, and we were ridiculously out-coached. IMHO Eade's spot is in jeopardy if he doesn't win next week - it's been a dead set disaster the last 10 or so weeks.

Aker playing a defensive role on a first year player? Was our aim to actually win the game? He's a match winner, we recruited him to play in THESE big finals to WIN games. WHY would he try to negate a first year player for a quarter and a half? I want that answered. As soon as he went forward, he was dangerous & kicked a couple.

Ray/Eagleton - pathetic. Both shouldn't be on our list next year. Ray probably played as bad as I've ever seen anyone tonight. He's gone.

Griffen, Hill & Cross - well done. Griff stepped up to the pressures of Finals football, the only one to take them on, Hill found space & took some strong marks whilst Crossy battled hard. Aside from those three, and Morris tried hard, what a disgraceful effort.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Some of my observations/queries are:

Playing on
I like the fact that we are trying to play on at all costs, but i think we too often handball to a person in the wrong position. There were so many instances where the receiver was static, and as soon as he received the ball, he was tackled or under immediate pressure.
Then there were times when there is a running receiver, but he's within a metre of the handballer, so as soon as the receiver gets it, he's immediately under pressure from the would-be tackler.
From what I saw of the hawks, and what i remember of the cats, they work the ball out backwards far enough so that the player has some time to access his options and dispose of the ball with some purpose.

First Option is Sideways/Backwards
There were times tonight where the player would not even look forwards. I remember hearing Luke Darcy saying that the team felt they were much more dangerous when they were able to switch the ball into some space and move it forward from there. I think the rest of the competition is awake to that now. It also doesn't help when there aren't many options, with most of the leads being at most half-arsed.

Clearances
There was no doubt we were smashed today in this department. We seemed to have more players in close and when we did get it, there would be a blind kick forward to one of the defensively placed hawks players who haven't followed their man into the contest. I would have thought with the numbers in close, our prefered option would be to handball it to a free player with some time and space to try and hit up a target.

One Percenters
And finally my biggest peeve, the lack of shepherding and helping other team mates out. This goes part and parcel with clearances. If our player does get the ball, I don't think he's provided much time to compose himself because so many of his team-mates are waiting for a dinky handball rather than protecting the ball carrier with a shepherd. What annoys me most is that it doesn't take a skilled or talented player to do this, just a team player.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:48 AM
This was worst than my worst case scenario. I couldn't even get angry I was just so stunned by the tripe that was dished up tonight. It was one of those games, when absoulutely nothing went our way, nothing!

There ridiculous stop start game, constantly handballing backwards.

No body stood up tonight, Cross tried but didn't do much with the ball just got a million possessions. Griffin tried to do a couple of runs but we needed more of it. The only player that has my respect was Josh Hill, he stood the mark on a couple of occasions and kicked a nice goal, oh and Lake and Morris - but that was it.

I hate bloody Caro, Gary Lyon and Brownless but unfortunately they are all right about our team - soft, buckle under pressure and unlikely to ever win another flag. I am feeling very depressed now:(

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:54 AM

It's ridiculous isn't it? You'd think that;

a) The runners would have some common sense of when to tell a player to come off.
&
b) The player himself would realize the situation and come off after the ball has cleared the vicinity.

I noticed that to. At one stage two forwards came off when the ball was on the other side of the ground. Whilst their backs were turned we had no one to kick it to and the ball was tuned over again.

Mantis
06-09-2008, 02:26 AM
Griffen, Hill & Cross - well done. Griff stepped up to the pressures of Finals football, the only one to take them on, Hill found space & took some strong marks whilst Crossy battled hard. Aside from those three, and Morris tried hard, what a disgraceful effort.

I love Cross and what he tries to achieve, the bloke has a heart the size of Phar Lap, but he coughed the ball up all night. His disposal is atrocious!!!

G-Mo77
06-09-2008, 02:33 AM
There was very little positives to come out of this. Hawthorn smashed us, everywhere! Name a position anywhere on the ground and we were probably beaten there. In the end we were pretty lucky tonight is they kicked straight it could have been a triple figure deficit.

I've bought into all the "heavy training" excuses and looking to far ahead well after tonight what is the excuse? We've been planning for this game for what 6 - 7 weeks?

It was embarassing tonight! I'm just so disappointed right now I'm not going to be able to get to sleep which in turn will ruin my entire weekend. :o

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Now the dust has settled a little since our initial rage/disappointment, can we look at things a bit more clearly?

Obviously the effort wasnt acceptable.

I think that early on we looked good, but a few misses didnt allow us to put the score on the board to create the pressure on Hawthorn. Did anyone else notice how it wasnt necersarily Hawthorns good play allowed them to score, but poor decision making & turnovers by us created a lot of their opportunities.

There were a few cases of 11 point turnarounds where we had a shot that should have been converted that wasnt then Hawthorn went straight up the other end a kicked a goal.

I cant understand why Scott Welsh isnt played from the goalsquare. He is purely a mark & kick type player who appears to be lost when played up the ground. Very disappointed with his effort.

The other thing that really stood out tonight was the structure of the team. We all know about the lack of KPP's, but it really bites when then the pressure of finals is on.

I hope that we attempt to trade for one (although we probably wont given the gold coast & west sydney concessions)

I dont think its all doom & gloom for the future, but we need to address the team structure as a matter of priority.

Hawthorn didnt play Gilham as they didnt have a larger forward for him to match up on.....says a lot imo.

remster
06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
* Awaiting abuse*

Hawks by 25pts.

What else would we expect but a huge loss as a long time doggies Ive come to expect this most doggies supporters are dreaming to think that we have a chance at it this year or next year. Brisbane Carlton and Essendon are building and will overtake us in no time lets get real doggies were just not up to it

The Pie Man
06-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I cant understand why Scott Welsh isnt played from the goalsquare. He is purely a mark & kick type player who appears to be lost when played up the ground. Very disappointed with his effort.

The other thing that really stood out tonight was the structure of the team. We all know about the lack of KPP's, but it really bites when then the pressure of finals is on.

Welsh would be close to Williamstown - I can't understand why he drifts up the ground either, his decision making while outside the forward 50 isn't that great, and while he isn't the power forward we crave, he is absolutley most effective on the lead from the goalsquare.

We'll have to develop a key forward, and if it takes until we have a quality key forward to make a GF, then my guess is 2011.

My one highlight of the night was the national anthem - I had a seat on the front row of the second level behind the GSS goals, and standing up in front of 76,000 fans like that was incredible. Rivalled the anthem at Australia vs Greece soccer match, though my seat last night was better and I was able to absorb it so much more.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Welsh would be close to Williamstown - I can't understand why he drifts up the ground either, his decision making while outside the forward 50 isn't that great, and while he isn't the power forward we crave, he is absolutley most effective on the lead from the goalsquare.

Yes 41 goals is nothing.
We knew when we recruited Welsh he was hot and cold.
He was in the back line at times cos the ball never went to our forward line.

The Pie Man
06-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes 41 goals is nothing.
We knew when we recruited Welsh he was hot and cold.
He was in the back line at times cos the ball never went to our forward line.

I'm pretty sure he won't be dropped, but you can't keep playing guys based on what they did earlier in the year. His last god game was vs Sydney a month ago, that's stone cold for mine. What's the point in him getting kicks in the backline when we don't have anyone forward to kick to once we progress past the centre?

Jason Gillespie would still be playing for Australia if they looked at his average instead of his actual form.

LostDog
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I am 52 and I am worried

Considering Supporting the Gold Coast they will win 1 before us

G-Mo77
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM
I feel like crap today, every time I started dosing off I had visions of Yellow and Brown. I had a horrible night's sleep as I expected. It doesn't feel any better today than it did in the early hours of the morning when I got home, in fact I feel worse. I feel empty......

cinder
06-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I feel like crap today, every time I started dosing off I had visions of Yellow and Brown. I had a horrible night's sleep as I expected. It doesn't feel any better today than it did in the early hours of the morning when I got home, in fact I feel worse. I feel empty......

:( I can sympathise. I was looking forwards to watching all the other matches this weekend but our loss kinda takes the gloss off that.

The Pie Man
06-09-2008, 01:21 PM

It's a cracking day, get out in the sun, do some gardening or something.

Just got inside from the backyard and for some unknown reason I'm watching the replay, Lewis just kicked his goal in the 3rd. Ugghhhh

bornadog
06-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Considering Supporting the Gold Coast they will win 1 before us

Very difficult to change, when your born in Footscray, and the old man use to take me from the age of 4.

bornadog
06-09-2008, 01:27 PM
It's a cracking day, get out in the sun, do some gardening or something.

Just got inside from the backyard and for some unknown reason I'm watching the replay, Lewis just kicked his goal in the 3rd. Ugghhhh

You like to be tortured or something:D

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm pretty sure he won't be dropped, but you can't keep playing guys based on what they did earlier in the year. His last god game was vs Sydney a month ago, that's stone cold for mine. What's the point in him getting kicks in the backline when we don't have anyone forward to kick to once we progress past the centre?

Jason Gillespie would still be playing for Australia if they looked at his average instead of his actual form.

If you are dropping players out of form look at the ones who are failing to deliver the ball to forward line at all or well not the forwards who aren't getting it.

The Pie Man
06-09-2008, 01:35 PM
If you are dropping players out of form look at the ones who are failing to deliver the ball to forward line at all or well not the forwards who aren't getting it.

Fair point - I'll say 'them too'

The forwards aren't without blame, we were so stagnant off the ball last night, we weren't prepared to run and create options.

They'll watch the tape and improve (I hope)

Topdog
06-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I have waited until now to post to let some of the anger out of my system. Not sure what good it will do but onto my rant.

Eagleton is finished. I have been a long time "hater" of Eagleton but that was seriously just too much. It's one thing saying that "the guy has no x foot" but usually when you say that they can at least put the ball onto their opposite foot. This man just point blank REFUSES to kick with his opposite. Their was one instance in the 2nd or 4th qtr where he was about 40 out from goal and needed to snap with his right. Instead he turns to get onto his left and gets crunched. Pathetic and he did it all bloody night!

Farren Ray had possibly his worst game ever for the club. It seemed like literally every one of his possessions was woeful and it's like he wants the AFL to rename "Hospital Handball" to "Farren Ray Handball". I am close to giving up on him.

Eade coached himself to a lose last night. I am absolutely sick and tired of this Aker in the backline bullshit and last night showed why we need the man forward of center. From the moment he went there the game was pretty much a draw. Not because he got killed down back but because we actually had an intelligent forward to kick to up front.

Our intensitry in the midfield was dreadful for the 1st half yesterday and as much as people will go on and on about us needed a tall forward to kick to we still would have lost by 50 points even if we had Fevola and Brown playing for us. The ease with which they took it out of their backline and onto the wing was disgusting to watch. No midfield pressure and a lot of poor options caused that result.

I'm really worried a straight sets loss is on the cards.

Topdog
06-09-2008, 01:45 PM
What else would we expect but a huge loss as a long time doggies Ive come to expect this most doggies supporters are dreaming to think that we have a chance at it this year or next year. Brisbane Carlton and Essendon are building and will overtake us in no time lets get real doggies were just not up to it

Willing to bet $100 that we finish on top of all 3 next year.

hujsh
06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Was Hargrave on Osbourne? if so he got smashed

The Underdog
06-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm really worried a straight sets loss is on the cards.

I really worry about the players mindset if we end up playing North next week. To come off that performance and have to play a team that has our measure quite obviously may put us out of the game before we even get there. Either way, it's going to take some pretty smart work on the track for Eade and Co to turn the players around this week.

Mantis
06-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I really worry about the players mindset if we end up playing North next week. To come off that performance and have to play a team that has our measure quite obviously may put us out of the game before we even get there. Either way, it's going to take some pretty smart work on the track for Eade and Co to turn the players around this week.

I hope that North win tonight and we face this kind of test.

Let's find out what this playing group is made of.

Go_Dogs
06-09-2008, 07:08 PM

At one stage in the 2nd the runner seemingly told Hill to come off, as Hill got to about 10 metres away from the interchange gate, he was suddenly told he needed to stay on and had to race back to line up in the edge of the centre square.

My thoughts on the game...

Reactive footy. It's all we did. No one took the initiative, no one threw their body around like it was the most important game they have played in their careers. Too often we made terrible decisions, and even more frequently the execution was even worse.

We have some terrific ball users in the side, but we also have too many who are constantly a liability, taking the wrong option, over using the ball and then turning it over with poor skill.

Too often coming forward we would kick the ball on top of 5 blokes heads, giving the Hawks defenders an arm chair ride, conversely down the other end, every ball was into space to a leading target. They made the game look simple by using fast ball movement, going through the corridor and kicking into space.

A few Dogs players could hold their heads high, Griffen, Hill and Cross - although for mine Crossy loses a bit of gloss because he was one whose ball use/over use let us down at times. But at least he was prepared to put his body on the line, and give his all for the club.

I'm just terribly unhappy with our game plan at the moment, too often we looked to switch the play when we shouldn't have. At one stage, we had three blokes (Gilbee, Hill and someone else who I can't recall) standing by themselves on wing with not a single Hawks player near them, meanwhile the game was being played on the other wing where the Hawks outnumbered us in the contest.

About $200 worth of alcohol later I was content to go to bed. At least the Melbourne weather was good today.

The Pie Man
06-09-2008, 11:47 PM
You like to be tortured or something:D

I know - it took me 8 years to watch the final quarter of the 97 prelim again, thought I'd get this debacle out of the way nice and early

hujsh
10-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Oh well it's not the end of the world. Wait a second...

hujsh
10-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Nope not the end.:D

Happy Days
10-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Lucky us...now we get to live long enough to see us go out in straight sets :p

1eyedog
10-09-2008, 07:41 PM

I'm sure it is in a parallel universe

Topdog
10-09-2008, 10:29 PM
They were only turning it on today. The end of the World will happen when the atoms collide.....