06-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Wollongong 4ths.

cinder
06-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Wollongong 4ths.
ROFL

bornadog
06-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Lets hope the Swans beat North, as I believe we match up better on them.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Wollongong 4ths.

Xavier College. No wait, Caulfield Grammar, even.

The Coon Dog
06-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Who'll beat us next week?

I remember North losing a final last year by 20 goals & coming out the next week & knocking off Hawthorn.

Glad to see your as positive as usual.

Does the sun ever shine where you live? :rolleyes:

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Pretty hard to be positive this soon after such a loss on such a stage, for anyone TCD.

Sedat
06-09-2008, 01:12 AM
I remember North losing a final last year by 20 goals & coming out the next week & knocking off Hawthorn.

TCD, I'm a glass half full kind of guy, but I'm not exactly jumping through hoops even thinking about next week. Even if we happen to win, our reputation with the football world looking at us was irrepairably damaged tonight.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:14 AM

Been thinking the same thing all night -- but just have to let off some steam, surely, after a bad loss like that.

But we do have another chance -- thus the advantage of finishing top 4. And there are plenty of examples of teams getting smashed in the first week and coming good..

.. like Brisbane in their first premiership.

Happy Days
06-09-2008, 01:14 AM
I reckon we could make a woof 22 that would give the boys a fair shake atm.

1eyedog
06-09-2008, 01:21 AM
I reckon we could make a woof 22 that would give the boys a fair shake atm.

I could kick 5 on Lakey seriously we are a laughing stock

Bulldog4life
06-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Just once would be nice.

For all the sad posters out there who continually whinge after a loss.Why do you put yourselves through torture by following the Bulldogs? Surely it would be easier to either change teams or even change sports. Be better for your health too.:)

Scraggers
06-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Pretty hard to be positive this soon after such a loss on such a stage, for anyone TCD.

I think the efforts of Griffen, Cross and Hill were all positive ... these are names that we will be relying on in 3 - 4 years to lead our team and they certainly stood up tonight.

But more importantly, they gained invaluable experience ... and as we have heard quite a few times this week,

'Experience is not something you can buy at K-Mart'

There is all possiblility that we will go out in straight sets next week (thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys); and as TCD posted earlier, there is all possibility we will turn it around and beat Sydney / North ... either way, this finals campaign is more about getting finals experience for our younger players so that we can have a real crack at it in two to three years time.

2006 was the start of our assault (2007 was a blip on the radar) and this is the second real seaon we will have a crack ... 2010 and/or 2011 will be the years this team peaks.

Have faith ... stay the course ... The Bulldogs are on the up !!

1eyedog
06-09-2008, 01:26 AM
For all the sad posters out there who continually whinge after a loss.Why do you put yourselves through torture by following the Bulldogs? Surely it would be easier to either change teams or even change sports. Be better for your health too.:)

Agreed next year I'm, going to Carlton

For what it is worth now that I have my wits about me I would like to state for the record that I would NEVER support Carlton in anything!

1eyedog
06-09-2008, 01:27 AM
I think the efforts of Griffen, Cross and Hill were all positive ... these are names that we will be relying on in 3 - 4 years to lead our team and they certainly stood up tonight.

But more importantly, they gained invaluable experience ... and as we have heard quite a few times this week,

There is all possiblility that we will go out in straight sets next week (thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys); and as TCD posted earlier, there is all possibility we will turn it around and beat Sydney / North ... either way, this finals campaign is more about getting finals experience for our younger players so that we can have a real crack at it in two to three years time.

2006 was the start of our assault (2007 was a blip on the radar) and this is the second real seaon we will have a crack ... 2010 and/or 2011 will be the years this team peaks.

Have faith ... stay the course ... The Bulldogs are on the up !!

Yep have been since 54 hey?

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Agreed next year I'm, going to Carlton

*Gak* Carlton? They haven't won anything in the last 30 years they didn't buy with dirty money.

C'mon 1eye.. surely you can do better. Freo? Port? RICHMOND?

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 01:35 AM

Oh okay, we'll continue to tolerate false dawn after false dawn like the mid eighties, late nineties and now. Near enough is good enough. Yay for us. Maybe people whinge because its hurts to lose like the way we did tonight.

Scraggers
06-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Yep have been since 54 hey?

TCD wanted a positive ... that was the best I could do at such short notice

I'm almost 40 years old, been a Bulldog all my life, and am proud that we played in a Qualifying final tonight ...

They call it a double chance for a reason ... lets beat Sydney / North next week and then see what we can throw at Geelong / St. Kilda the following; and if we faulter, be proud of the boys for getting this far and look forward to 2009 and beyond

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:37 AM
TCD wanted a positive ... that was the best I could do at such short notice

I'm almost 40 years old, been a Bulldog all my life, and am proud that we played in a Qualifying final tonight ...

They call it a double chance for a reason ... lets beat Sydney / North next week and then see what we can throw at Geelong / St. Kilda the following; and if we faulter, be proud of the boys for getting this far and look forward to 2009 and beyond

I like it.

Signing off for tonight.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:44 AM
TCD, I'm a glass half full kind of guy, but I'm not exactly jumping through hoops even thinking about next week. Even if we happen to win, our reputation with the football world looking at us was irrepairably damaged tonight.

How could you be? Its easy to get stuck into the pessimists but we all shouldnt just accept such a poor performance.
I work with a couple of guys that always talk down our chances and the fact is that while I am far more upbeat they are in fact correct. All year long one of the guys was saying that we will get shown up in the finals and after tonight he is bang on the mark.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Who'll beat us next week?

Ok - I feel pretty flat myself at the moment - like every other Dogs supporter.

I think most of us expected Hawthorn to be extremely strong and hard to beat, with the undersized team we have at the moment.

But, the sun will rise in the morning (as long as I have a pulse).

Whoever we play doesn't matter at this minute; It's what we can get out of next week's match.

If we lose:
- the players have had a second week of finals football, and the coaching staff can decide which players won't take us forward next season
(many of you can rattle of a few names already).
- additional draft picks (with more players than originally thought getting their marching orders).
- earlier draft selections
- at least 2 games of finals experience.

If we win:
- something to celebrate for a change
- an extra game to judge our players
- an extra game of finals experience (invaluable).

No matter what the result will be:
- we would finish above at least 10 other teams
- we have a foundation of players to work with
- we've been able to dodge the gardening for another couple of weeks.

After all, we ARE Dogs supporters, and we WILL stick by our team, as we always have!

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 01:56 AM
How could you be? Its easy to get stuck into the pessimists but we all shouldnt just accept such a poor performance.

Their performance was woeful, usually I am very optimistic but tonight I couldn't believe what they dished up. Totally stunned with some of the crappy coaching moves - I am worried about next weeks game it could very easily be straight sets and we are out.

Mantis
06-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Their performance was woeful, usually I am very optimistic but tonight I couldn't believe what they dished up. Totally stunned with some of the crappy coaching moves - I am worried about next weeks game it could very easily be straight sets and we are out.

And then we do what?

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 02:51 AM
And then we do what?

Look forward to the cricket season.

hujsh
06-09-2008, 02:56 AM
I think I'm generally positive about the club but after tonight i feel like it's almost time to call it a year. Only positive we can gain is if we win next week see how a team should play (Geelong) and use that as fuel to launch another assault next season with, hopefully, a fit Williams

hujsh
06-09-2008, 02:57 AM

Get to be the top team for a change

Mantis
06-09-2008, 03:01 AM

That's a very poor response.

Why don't you for a change, lay it on the line.

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 03:11 AM
That's a very poor response.

Why? Footy season finishes - cricket season starts.

Why don't you for a change, lay it on the line.

Lay what on the line? Because I am worried we will go out in straight sets?

Mantis
06-09-2008, 03:19 AM
Why? Footy season finishes - cricket season starts.

No beacause it was a 'soft' response.

Lay what on the line? Because I am worried we will go out in straight sets?

Perhaps I should have spelt it out a little more clearier for you.

How do we improve our team such that we don't go out in straight sets?

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Perhaps I should have spelt it out a little more clearier for you.

Did you mean clearer? No, no need to.

That is Eade's job to figure out - our backline needs to be worked on, a CHB would be an asset if we can get Williams up and running that will help. A Jon Brown type forward would be ideal although his type don't grow on trees.

Sockeye Salmon
06-09-2008, 03:40 AM

Because the answer's so simple we can fix all the problems in a few lines?

Let's just sack everyone then because they're all crap and then kill ourselves.

Scraggers
06-09-2008, 03:42 AM

Now, now ... lets not go overboard ... surely we can keep Ryan Griffen ... the rest I'm fine with ... :D

Mantis
06-09-2008, 03:44 AM

Well write a whole ******** page, be my guest....

Can't remember where I wrote that we sack everybody, you must have read between the lines.:rolleyes:

hujsh
06-09-2008, 04:19 AM

Made me laugh.

Dry Rot
06-09-2008, 09:48 AM

Lots to be positive about last night and the last 6 weeks. Or are you related to this bloke?

http://www.cfo.doe.gov/me70/manhattan/images/EmperorHirohito.jpg

Despite the best that has been done by everyone... the war situation has developed not necessarily to our advantage.

Dogs 24/7
06-09-2008, 11:05 AM

I haven't lost the faith but it is being tested in a big way. Your highlighted comment doesn't quite ring true to me. We added Akermanis at a bargain basement price two seasons back, we got Welsh for nothing and we added Hudson at a reasonable asking price.
I suppose the question is should we have gone in the other direction and focused more on youth?

DOG GOD
06-09-2008, 11:20 AM
We will not be a competitive finals outfit UNTIL we have a genuinely good CHB and CHF and a midfield that is accountable with balls.

The hawks specifically drafted for their team needs (roughhead, buddy and lewis) in that one draft. We got Cooney and Ray the year before, only to bypass buddy to pick Griff the next year. 3 mids who grow on trees.

Griff will be a great player, but he is no match winner. Take buddy out of hawks team and they would be down with everyone else.

We DESPERATELY need a CHB (williams) and a CHF (grant) and until these 2 players OR players of similar ilk come to our club we will continue to be a mid ranged side.

Dogs 24/7
06-09-2008, 11:26 AM
We DESPERATELY need a CHB (williams) and a CHF (grant) and until these 2 players OR players of similar ilk come to our club we will continue to be a mid ranged side.

We all know we are deficient in those two positions and a couple of times last night I thought that McDougall made a big mistake in leaving the club. I really do think that he would have been in contention for a defenders spot given the injury to Williams, the form of Everitt and the inconsistent Wight.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Damn...hope Roos dont win, it would be a disgusting site to watch us lose to them for the 3rd time this year...

Swans on the other hand, i think we might show up and play like a side..

Desipura
06-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Are we playing Friday night or Saturday next week?

The Pie Man
06-09-2008, 12:35 PM

Just thinking back to last year, did they play two games on the Saturday (day & night)?

I wonder how Sydney will play in front of 1/4 full stadium in the wet (tonight has the potential to be embarassing - and yet they ignore a perfectly legitimate Tasmanian proposal to throw bundles of cash away in Western Sydney....sorry, wrong thread)

I would rather play Sydney.

Adelaide won in 98 after getting thumped by Melbourne in the first week - the finals structure back then was a joke, how could 5th lose the first week and still win the flag? Glad they've fixed that

I'd like to see Eade make a statement and potentially pull the curtain on Eagleton & Ray's Bulldog career's - put in Tiller or Skipper to play strictly FF, and leave them there - or at least tell Welsh to lead out from the goal square. Will be interested to see who plays well for Willy tomorrow, I'd suggest Ward/Reid/Tiller/Everitt/Skipper will all be in the mix for a recall depending on performances.

At least we know some of the youngens like Hill & Harbrow can take us forward in future September ventures, it's not all doom & gloom for us. Frustrating? Yes - Surely Boyd can't play that badly - Cooney had 26 touches and 2 goals, those stats can get you 3 Brownlow votes, but he was nowhere near BOG, I'd love to see him play more assured next week - and I bet a lot of them will. Just get rid of Eagleton & Ray. And tell Hargrave to get back to his midseason form (cos just syaing that to him will make it happen...:rolleyes:)

Bulldog4life
06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Tell me a sport that is uniquely Australian with a team that has been in the family for 4 generations or more and I'll convert. Seriously I know several people who are no longer members for health reasons. You either keep the faith or become an infidel.

Exactly. That is my point.

SonofScray
06-09-2008, 01:59 PM
After all, we ARE Dogs supporters, and we WILL stick by our team, as we always have!

I know too many that don't share this view that it is a real worry. This is probably going to be the false dawn that ruins it for a lot of people; heard one quote which I've heard before but seemed a little bit more considered this time "there's only so many times you can kick a dog in the guts."

A better analogy might be like the mouse that sank the boat.

The game has changed, our team isn't really an exponent of what our team has always represented and for many, its just been too long and too painful.

Next week really is Do Or Die as far as I am concerned. Another effort like that from last night will tear me apart.

Topdog
06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I know too many that don't share this view that it is a real worry. This is probably going to be the false dawn that ruins it for a lot of people; heard one quote which I've heard before but seemed a little bit more considered this time "there's only so many times you can kick a dog in the guts."

A better analogy might be like the mouse that sank the boat.

The game has changed, our team isn't really an exponent of what our team has always represented and for many, its just been too long and too painful.

Next week really is Do Or Die as far as I am concerned. Another effort like that from last night will tear me apart.

yeah I have heard the same thing from many people for ages. Last night it actually sounded real and not just saying it.

hujsh
06-09-2008, 03:48 PM
We will not be a competitive finals outfit UNTIL we have a genuinely good CHB and CHF and a midfield that is accountable with balls.

The hawks specifically drafted for their team needs (roughhead, buddy and lewis) in that one draft. We got Cooney and Ray the year before, only to bypass buddy to pick Griff the next year. 3 mids who grow on trees.

Griff will be a great player, but he is no match winner. Take buddy out of hawks team and they would be down with everyone else.

Is not or won't be? If you're saying he won't be then it is likely you will be force fed your words soon enough

Go_Dogs
06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Back on topic, I hope the Swans win tonight. Although they are a very finals hardened side, I think beating them is more likely than if we were to face the Roos. Either way, we need a lot of improvement regardless of who we play against, based on what happened last night.

Mofra
06-09-2008, 11:01 PM

Griffen was who we would've taken at no 1, he was widely regarded as one of the best 2 young talents in the land (Delidio obviously the other).
Roughead was regarded as probably the best KPP prospect - hence Hawks chose him first.
We were always going to take the best KPP prospect with our next pick - that fell to Williams.

Ray is teh obvious sore point as he hasn't developed the way we were hoping, however he was regarded as amatchwinner in the making.

Th say Griffen isn't going to be a matchwinner is folly - he is knocking on the door of the elite midfielders and he wont peak for 3-4 years.

Scraggers
06-09-2008, 11:47 PM

THE AFL has released the schedule for week two of the 2008 Toyota AFL Finals Series.

Following its loss on Friday night, the Western Bulldogs will be up again next Friday night, facing the Sydney Swans.

Collingwood will face the loser of the Geelong v St Kilda qualifying final in a game to be played next Saturday night

Both matches will be played at the MCG.

The full details are as follows:

Friday September 12
Second Semi Final, Western Bulldogs v Sydney at the MCG, 7.50pm

Saturday September 13
First Semi Final, Loser of Geelong / St Kilda v Collingwood at the MCG, 7.30pm

LostDoggy
07-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Lots to be positive about last night and the last 6 weeks. Or are you related to this bloke?

http://www.cfo.doe.gov/me70/manhattan/images/EmperorHirohito.jpg

Not much to laugh about these days, but this certainly made me chuckle - thanks.

Topdog
07-09-2008, 12:34 AM
I'd usually be majorly pissed off that I can't go to a game.

Sockeye Salmon
07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Ray is teh obvious sore point as he hasn't developed the way we were hoping, however he was regarded as amatchwinner in the making.

We could always have passed on Ray and picked the only big guy who was rated that year - Kepler Bradley.

If we were worried about the go-home factor we could have picked the best rated local kid - Fergus Watts.

That would have helped.

Happy Days
07-09-2008, 03:11 PM
We could always have passed on Ray and picked the only big guy who was rated that year - Kepler Bradley.

If we were worried about the go-home factor we could have picked the best rated local kid - Fergus Watts.

That would have helped.

The '03 draft was an absolute shocker.

Just look at the top 10...apart from Cooney and perhaps Mclean, they have all gone well below expectations.