PDA

View Full Version : Next up the Swans

Topdog
07-09-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm glad we have the Swans to be honest. Not too fussed if we win or lose cos I have really lost hope in us winning the big one this year but by having the Swans hopefully our lads will see and learn what finals football is all about.

The Underdog
07-09-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm glad we have the Swans to be honest. Not too fussed if we win or lose cos I have really lost hope in us winning the big one this year but by having the Swans hopefully our lads will see and learn what finals football is all about.

We've proved we're not about to win a premiership so it's now all about those guys running out next week and showing they have the pride to put in a good performance. To do what's asked of them and play like a team. We need to play as many finals as we can. We know we'll be in a contest that's for sure.

Happy Days
07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Another bloody friday at the g...

But at least its Sydney, as despite all of their experience, we've already beaten them twice. And one of those times has been since we went all Jekyl and Hyde and turned bad.

The Underdog
07-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Does this game automatically get moved to Sydney or Canberra? Isn't there some kind of law against us playing them in Melbourne? I couldn't even tell you the last time we did.

The Coon Dog
07-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Does this game automatically get moved to Sydney or Canberra? Isn't there some kind of law against us playing them in Melbourne? I couldn't even tell you the last time we did.
1998 - R20 - Western Bulldogs 6.0 6.3 11.6 15.9 (99) dftd Sydney 3.2 7.5 13.6 15.7 (97) - VFL Park - Aug 15 (Sat)

2 in Canberra & 9 in Sydney since.

The Underdog
07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
1998 - R20 - Western Bulldogs 6.0 6.3 11.6 15.9 (99) dftd Sydney 3.2 7.5 13.6 15.7 (97) - VFL Park - Aug 15 (Sat)

VFL Park:eek::eek:

Topdog
07-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Haha thats pathetic. Some supporters would look at that and ask "Where?"

10 years is way too long.

hujsh
07-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Haha thats pathetic. Some supporters would look at that and ask "Where?"

10 years is way too long.

That'd be me:D

Dry Rot
07-09-2008, 01:37 AM

But at least its Sydney, as despite all of their experience, we've already beaten them twice. And one of those times has been since we went all Jekyl and Hyde and turned bad.

First time we were lucky - they were very inaccurate and wasteful.

Second time they were seriously undermanned. Yes we won, but they managed to produce some pressure which made us look like panicy handballing netballers.

Next Friday, I expect that pressure for 4 quarters from all 22 Swans.

We have one Daniel Cross, they have 22.

Stefcep
07-09-2008, 01:52 AM

Second time they were seriously undermanned. Yes we won, but they managed to produce some pressure which made us look like panicy handballing netballers.

My heart says we'll get over the line. By 5 points.

But my head tells me it will be played 9 won 2 for us.

Topdog
07-09-2008, 02:02 AM

I'm not expecting a win but it is a very important game for our boys. It's important to get finals into the younger guys early.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ward come in.

The Pie Man
07-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Hudson kicked the winning goal - I seem to remember Kretiuk smashing Micky O in the goal square in the last quarter and going unpunished, and a plugger soccer at goal late in the game trickling past the goal post.

We all remember the first final of 97 I presume? Bit of irony that Eade was their coach at the time.

The Pie Man
07-09-2008, 09:28 AM

A chance at Friday night redemption, it's all good

Bumper Bulldogs
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Lets all hope that we come to play with our running boots on. We need this win otherwise the media will give it to us and the supporters will fall off in thousands. thats why the membership was so bad this year.

yes its finals time and anything can happen, but i sure we will see big improvement in the old boys, Johnno, Mitch, Welsh

We need to look to the future and if Ray and Eagle are not part of it don't play them as they are just too inconsistent for the time in the game.

DOG GOD
07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Eagle will play coz he's Eade's lovechild just like harro was with Rhode. If that little visit to the G last week with Charlie Sutton didnt get the boys up for a final then nothing will.

UNLESS we go out there, fight, scrag, run, run and run some more, tackle, tackle and play like a team, then we will be out in straight sets.

Sydney are one of the best "play as a team" sides in the comp...not many stars but a TEAM. We have to match that, and we have to match it from the first bounce.

bornadog
07-09-2008, 10:56 AM
The Swans haven't been playing well either over the past 10 weeks, they have only won three including last night.

This is a must win for the dogs otherwise its been a case of lost opportunity.

cinder
07-09-2008, 11:45 AM
So who is going to go?
I'm in two minds. After Friday I don't think I could have stood to watch another performance like that.
But, I also would feel guilty for not going and supporting the boys.

The Underdog
07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
So who is going to go?
I'm in two minds. After Friday I don't think I could have stood to watch another performance like that.

Of course I'll be there. My expectations may be lower, the excitement not as high, but absolutely. Wouldn't even consider not going, it's the finals fercrissake.

GVGjr
07-09-2008, 12:15 PM
So who is going to go?

Yes I will be there again.

Mantis
07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
So who is going to go?

I think that you would that 100% of the people who post on this board will be going (except those interstate/ overseas who would also go if in Melb).

Friday night's performance was embarrassing, but we have to stick by them.

Bulldog4life
07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
So who is going to go?

If you look at how many times we have played finals in our history don't make the mistake of saying I'll go next year instead. You might be very disappointed. I'll be there for sure.

Scraggers
07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
I think that you would that 100% of the people who post on this board will be going (except those interstate/ overseas who would also go if in Melb).

If i was in Melbourne I would be there with bells on !!!

bornadog
07-09-2008, 12:28 PM

I was working overseas from 1991 to 1998 and we made the finals in 92,94,95,97, and got back to see the 98 finals. The only final I saw was the Melbourne debacle in 94.

The past ten years we have been in the 99, 2000 and 2006, so not many opportunities, so take them while you can and support the boys on friday.

cinder
07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Ok ok ... point taken.
:)

DOG GOD
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
If i was in Melbourne I would be there with bells on !!!

Same here Scraggers...why someone living in melb would refuse to go is beyond me.

LostDoggy
07-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I'll be fronting up again.

Happy Days
07-09-2008, 03:00 PM
You can't not go in times like these.

cinder
07-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Yup. I was kidding myself anyway, of course I'm going. I only missed one Vic game all year! Can't not go when it counts.
Plus, it could be worse. Could be a Saints supporter right now ...

Mantis
07-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Yup. I was kidding myself anyway, of course I'm going. I only missed one Vic game all year! Can't not go when it counts.
Plus, it could be worse. Could be a Saints supporter right now ...

But that result was to be expected, but I suppose in hindsight our's was too.

BulldogBelle
07-09-2008, 06:20 PM

That's the spirit, emotions sometimes cloud our views after a loss - once a day or two passes the enthusiasm returns...bring on Friday! :)

Mantis
07-09-2008, 06:25 PM
That's the spirit, emotions sometimes cloud our views after a loss - once a day or two passes the enthusiasm returns...bring on Friday! :)

Mine hasn't.

I just watched the first half again and it was frightenly bad, trying to build up some courage to watch the 3rd str, might skip the last qtr because I ain't real keen on watching the junktime crew stating up.

BulldogBelle
07-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Mine hasn't.

I just watched the first half again and it was frightenly bad, trying to build up some courage to watch the 3rd str, might skip the last qtr because I ain't real keen on watching the junktime crew stating up.

Ok...try watching those 50m penalties that Buddy gave away to Lake a few times over - the first one where Lake beckoned Buddy towards him and then stepped back over the line then Buddy pushed him over and the other 50 m penalty straight after...that put a little smile on my face. I bypassed the last quarter couldn't watch it.

If that doesn't work add an extra day of mourning - hopefully the enthusiasm returns and if that fails...watch our last two wins against Sydney.

Max469
07-09-2008, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=BulldogBelle;54904]Ok...try watching those 50m penalties that Buddy gave away to Lake a few times over - the first one where Lake beckoned Buddy towards him and then stepped back over the line then Buddy pushed him over and the other 50 m penalty straight after...that put a little smile on my face.

I loved it - think that if it had been an elimination final and we were out - Lake would have let Buddy have it.

Mantis
07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Ok...try watching those 50m penalties that Buddy gave away to Lake a few times over - the first one where Lake beckoned Buddy towards him and then stepped back over the line then Buddy pushed him over and the other 50 m penalty straight after...that put a little smile on my face. I bypassed the last quarter couldn't watch it.

If that doesn't work add an extra day of mourning - hopefully the enthusiasm returns and if that fails...watch our last two wins against Sydney.

The funny thing about the this bit of play is that after the first 50m penalty we had the ball at CHB. How the hell did the ball end up in the Hawthorn goal square 30sec which resulted in Lake rushing the ball through for another point.

This piece of play made Lake look silly as a footballer.

Topdog
07-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I'll be there again.

BulldogBelle
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
The funny thing about the this bit of play is that after the first 50m penalty we had the ball at CHB. How the hell did the ball end up in the Hawthorn goal square 30sec which resulted in Lake rushing the ball through for another point.

Lake kicked it wide to Morris and Morris back to Lake and by that stage the Hawks had manned up, Lake had nowhere to go retreated back ran around the goal post, Buddy grabbed him and another fifty. How's Buddy lifting up his hand to Lakes face indicating that he had kicked 5 goals.

Mantis
07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Lake kicked it wide to Morris and Morris back to Lake and by that stage the Hawks had manned up, Lake had nowhere to go retreated back ran around the goal post, Buddy grabbed him and another fifty. How's Buddy lifting up his hand to Lakes face indicating that he had kicked 5 goals.

So why didn't Lake go direct in the first case? He bolted down to gain an advantage and then kicked it sideways.

I don't mind Buddy, he's arrogant, but he backs it up. He has the same swagger that Carey and Brereton had.

BulldogBelle
07-09-2008, 08:29 PM
So why didn't Lake go direct in the first case? He bolted down to gain an advantage and then kicked it sideways.

Who knows why...Griffen was calling for the ball directly infront. Perhaps he didn't see him.

I don't mind Buddy, he's arrogant, but he backs it up. He has the same swagger that Carey and Brereton had.

I am Buddy fan, he is a freak to watch - he is good value, except when he turns it on against us.

Mantis
07-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Who knows why...Griffen was calling for the ball directly infront. Perhaps he didn't see him.

It's because Lake is a crayfish, straight from the Craig Ellis school.

I think we found out once and for all that when Lake plays in the back line he plays at FB, no where else.

bornadog
07-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I think we found out once and for all that when Lake plays in the back line he plays at FB, no where else.

I thought we knew that in the first place, have a look at his game against Mooney. I think we all chose to forget that as we matched him up to Roughead (as did the match committee) after the game in Tassie.

Lake has to be at full back, in the goal square, end of story.

Mantis
07-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I thought we knew that in the first place, have a look at his game against Mooney. I think we all chose to forget that as we matched him up to Roughead (as did the match committee) after the game in Tassie.

Lake has to be at full back, in the goal square, end of story.

With the assumption that Roughead would play close to goal, like he usually does. As soon as they isolated Franklin inside 50 Lake should have went to him, if they tried to isolate Roughead swap them back.

LostDoggy
07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Lake can play CHB if his opponent isn't leading up time and time again.

Mantis
07-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Lake can play CHB if his opponent isn't leading up time and time again.

So what the modern day CHF doesn't just stand at CHF with his arms in the air saying, 'Kick to me'.

Please, they all lead up the ground.

LostDoggy
07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
So what the modern day CHF doesn't just stand at CHF with his arms in the air saying, 'Kick to me'.

Please, they all lead up the ground.

There a few gorillas left that like wrestle a bit more.
Besides Franklin didn't exactly sit in the square when Lake was on him.
Lake is sometimes found wanting on leading forwards whether they are playing CHF or FF.
He look a million bucks when our midfield are winning it more and pressure their inside 50s.
Its not the biggest problem we have.

Mantis
07-09-2008, 10:25 PM
There a few gorillas left that like wrestle a bit more.
Besides Franklin didn't exactly sit in the square when Lake was on him.
Lake is sometimes found wanting on leading forwards whether they are playing CHF or FF.
He look a million bucks when our midfield are winning it more and pressure their inside 50s.
Its not the biggest problem we have.

Far from it, but he is still a worry which shouldn't be the case considering he is pretty experienced now.

LostDoggy
07-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Far from it, but he is still a worry which shouldn't be the case considering he is pretty experienced now.
Still the best we have for the gorillas, and in the top bracket in the AFL.
If we could get someone else, I'll try him out at FF next year.

Mantis
07-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Still the best we have for the gorillas, and in the top bracket in the AFL.
If we could get someone else, I'll try him out at FF next year.

I said the same at the start of this year and got laughed at by many on this forum.

On the assumption that Everitt, Williams and McDougall (which was a possibilty on last years performances) could hold down the key defensive roles we had to try Lake up forward as we had no other options. These 3 didn't come on as hoped so we were forced to play Lake in defence.

I seriously think if we learnt anything on Friday it was that we need a tall mobile marking option inside F50. Grant and other's are still a few years away, if they make it all and Minson isn't a long term forward option.

LostDoggy
07-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I said the same at the start of this year and got laughed at by many on this forum.

On the assumption that Everitt, Williams and McDougall (which was a possibilty on last years performances) could hold down the key defensive roles we had to try Lake up forward as we had no other options. These 3 didn't come on as hoped so we were forced to play Lake in defence.

I seriously think if we learnt anything on Friday it was that we need a tall mobile marking option inside F50. Grant and other's are still a few years away, if they make it all and Minson isn't a long term forward option.

I wasn't laughing at you. A lot of people said we now have a good FB so why would you want to change him?
I think its easier to develop backman than it is forwards so its worth the risk. A Lynch and Gehrig were both backman that went forward later in their careers. Lake played there in his youth.

Raw Toast
08-09-2008, 12:29 PM

I'm not super-confident but don't really agree with this. Yes they were inaccurate, but we dominated the second quarter, absolutely smashing them around the ball, and then outplayed them comfortably in the third and for most of the fourth until they got a run-on when we thought the game was over.

In the end they seemed lucky to get so close.

We won the contested possessions, 47 to 32 and the clearances, 47 to 40. They had more inside 50's than us and two more shots at goal, but that was largely because we played well enough to set up easy shots at goal.

LostDoggy
08-09-2008, 12:40 PM
So who is going to go?

Yeah, I'll front up again but I certainly don't have the same buzz I did this time last week. Perhaps as Friday gets closer I'll feel more enthusiastic.

Sedat
08-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm not super-confident but don't really agree with this. Yes they were inaccurate, but we dominated the second quarter, absolutely smashing them around the ball, and then outplayed them comfortably in the third and for most of the fourth until they got a run-on when we thought the game was over.

In the end they seemed lucky to get so close.

We won the contested possessions, 47 to 32 and the clearances, 47 to 40. They had more inside 50's than us and two more shots at goal, but that was largely because we played well enough to set up easy shots at goal.
Sydney dominated us at the SCG in the 3rd qtr but were extremely wasteful in front of goal - Playfair missed some shots that were sodas for a half-decent forward. And almost the identical thing happened in Canberra where we dominated in the 2nd qtr and made them pay on the scoreboard but they hit back hard and wasted their around-ground dominance with poor conversion for goal.

What is very important for us is that we open the game up as much as possible and take Sydney out of their comfort zone. To do that we need to match them and beat them at the stoppages - if we can do that, we have enough running power and mobile forwards to fatally hurt Sydney the other way. Only problem is that Jolly is the form ruckman in the competition at stoppage ruck work and Hudson is injured/lacking fitness - unless Hudson and Minson can put sustained pressure on Jolly/Everitt for the entire match, the likes of Kirk/Bolton/Moore/Jack/Ablett/McVeigh/Crouch will have an armchair ride at the stoppages, and that spells trouble for our defenders once again. Our rucks and midfielders simply need to step up to the mark this week or we are in trouble.

Mantis
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Sydney dominated us at the SCG in the 3rd qtr but were extremely wasteful in front of goal - Playfair missed some shots that were sodas for a half-decent forward. And almost the identical thing happened in Canberra where we dominated in the 2nd qtr and made them pay on the scoreboard but they hit back hard and wasted their around-ground dominance with poor conversion for goal.

What is very important for us is that we open the game up as much as possible and take Sydney out of their comfort zone. To do that we need to match them and beat them at the stoppages - if we can do that, we have enough running power and mobile forwards to fatally hurt Sydney the other way. Only problem is that Jolly is the form ruckman in the competition at stoppage ruck work and Hudson is injured/lacking fitness - unless Hudson and Minson can put sustained pressure on Jolly/Everitt for the entire match, the likes of Kirk/Bolton/Moore/Jack/Ablett/McVeigh/Crouch will have an armchair ride at the stoppages, and that spells trouble for our defenders once again. Our rucks and midfielders simply need to step up to the mark this week or we are in trouble.

Do we?

Our running power isn't as good as it once was.

Sedat
08-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Do we?

Our running power isn't as good as it once was.
Cooney, Griffen, Gilbee and Ray represent more weaponry in this area than Sydney have at their disposal. The Swans have a host of great contested ball-winners and some fantastic gut runners like McVeigh and O'Keefe but no-one in the midfield that can break apart the lines. That's why they put Goodes in there so often and also rely so heavily on Kennelly to drive their defensive rebounds. The cupboard is bare outside of these two. Teams that can match them inside (eg: Collingwood) have very little problem exposing the line-breaking deficiencies of the Swans.

Mantis
08-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Cooney, Griffen, Gilbee and Ray represent more weaponry in this area than Sydney have at their disposal. The Swans have a host of great contested ball-winners and some fantastic gut runners like McVeigh and O'Keefe but no-one in the midfield that can break apart the lines. That's why they put Goodes in there so often and also rely so heavily on Kennelly to drive their defensive rebounds. The cupboard is bare outside of these two. Teams that can match them inside (eg: Collingwood) have very little problem exposing the line-breaking deficiencies of the Swans.

Yeah possibly, but Cooney hasn't been as influential as he was earlier on in the year. Griffen was very impressive on Friday night, probably the first time for a while his skills were sharp. Gilb's had a pretty bad knock to his calf so he may struggle to impose himself in this area. Ray, yeah he can run, perhaps it's time to let him play a free running role like a few other's are often granted, perhaps it might free him up a little.

I do agree that we are a far superior running team than Sydney. Sydney's run from defence has been appalling recently. Kennelly seems to have lost all his running power, as well as his hair. Mattner runs, but can't kick and Malceski is a shadow of his former self probably due to his rushed knee surgery.

If we can win the contested ball and more importantly deliver the ball to our team-mates by hand or foot we can break them apart, but there are some big if's in there.

Raw Toast
08-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Thanks for that Sedat, my faulty memory. I do see that they outscored us 4.5 to 4 straight that (3rd) quarter. We then kicked the first three of the last before four straight to them had us squirming, with a crucial Murphy smother in defence and Eagle kicking the sealer.

Clearances and contested possessions are clearly crucial, as is Rob Murphy I reckon.

We fumbled a lot at the start of that game, and then in the second term just started getting the ball forward as quickly as possible out of the middle, with Griffen running them ragged as well. Hill's clean hands were very important.

As I've mentioned before, Collingwood keep beating Sydney by upping their kick-to-handball ratio (which is high anyway), and I'd like to see us do that a bit as well. Sydney's defence seems to struggle when the ball is moved in quickly, even when it is just banged in without much precision.

LostDoggy
08-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Sydney got more than there fair share of free kick both times we played them this season which balances out any inaccuracy in their kicking.
We beat them and the umps - No excuses on their part.

Sedat
08-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm sure Aker will be looking forward to reacquainting himself with Crouch one last time like a hole in the head - Crouch did a terrific job on Brent Harvey on Saturday night.

bornadog
08-09-2008, 05:09 PM
At least Mickey O will not be playing.

Sedat
08-09-2008, 05:24 PM
At least Mickey O will not be playing.
You sure? I thought he was some sort of chance to return this week.

bornadog
08-09-2008, 05:35 PM
You sure? I thought he was some sort of chance to return this week.

According to Roos on SEN today