PDA

View Full Version : Adam Goodes - Player Profile

The Coon Dog
09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Sockeye Salmon sent me this earlier to post:

http://lvillage.education.vic.gov.au/lv/diec/hp.nsf/Files/laurenbroccoli/$File/__Adam_Goodes_001.jpg

Player Profile – Adam Goodes

Player Profile from Sydneyswans.com.au

Height: 194
Weight: 98
DOB: 8-1-80
Games: 229
Goals: 228

The best on ground for North Ballarat in the 1997 Under-18's grand final was Sydney's third pick - number 43 overall - in the 1997 AFL National Draft. After spending his first year in the reserves, he burst onto the scene in 1999 when filling in for injured ruckman Greg Stafford and won the season's Norwich Rising Star award despite missing three games with a knee injury. He proved extremely reliable playing every game since the second last round in 1999 (168 consecutive matches to the end of 2006) and versatile by playing in the ruck, on a flank or at either end because of his height, mobility, tremendous leap and good hands.

He won an Australian guernsey in the 2001 International Rules Series, came third in the Club's best and fairest in 2002, but it was the following season when he realised his enormous potential.

Paul Roos utilised his athleticism in the ruck and he became one of the hardest players to match up on in the AFL. He made an impact in nearly every game to win the Brownlow Medal (with Nathan Buckley and Mark Ricciuto), Sydney's best and fairest and first ruck selection in the All-Australian side. In 2004 he started well but injured a knee at the opening bounce against West Coast in round eight, and although he played out the season - mainly at centre half-back given Roos' reluctance to play him in the ruck - his movement was restricted.

Although still impressive at times, an injury to his other knee later in the season further dented his confidence to excel to the heights of the previous season. He played strongly in the 2005 Grand Final (20 touches and one goal) after a season that saw him captain the Club for two games (wins against Geelong and Melbourne) - including his 150th AFL game to earn Swans life membership. Was back to his devastating brilliant best last year, once again proving a nightmare to match-up on, and took home his second Brownlow, best and fairest and All-Australian honours after inspiring his teammates, along with Brett Kirk, to a near miracle comeback in the September decider.

Has averaged 11.1 kicks, 4.6 marks and 6.3 handballs and 1.4 goals a game. Ho hum.

His 62 tackles for the year is reasonable (not great) but he doesn’t appear amongst the club leaders in any stat category (4th in goals).

His 8 goals from 12 possessions against Freo has been his standout game for the year. He had a decent 6 week run in June/July but Sydney would be bitterly disappointed with his output this year overall.

Sockeye’s Stuff

Goodes has struggled for most of the year with various injuries (predominately his knee) and is still too hampered to be able to move up the ground. He hasn’t had a 20 possession game since round 15.

Goodes is clearly not fit enough to be the midfield/pushing forward threat that he was when he won his two Brownlows, but he is big and talented and playing deep forward alongside Hall is a potentially massive threat.

We all know how we are stretched in the backline, but with Lake needed to stand Hall, the job on Goodes will inevitably fall to ‘The Glove”. Undersized again, but he still remains our only serious option. If Goodes gets hold of Morris early, our boys will be in the pub on Monday.

If Goodes really looks hampered in his running, I’d love to try someone with a bit more flair than Morris to try to run him up the ground and see how his knee copes. Hargrave is probably the only one we could try and I would be a little reluctant considering how good he’s been on smaller opponents and how bad he’s been on bigger guys. I’d also consider using Griffen to play the role Hodge did last week on Minson, although we will need Griffen in the midfield more than Hawthorn needed Hodge.

The Unknown

It will also be interesting to see where Goodes’ head is this week. His cousin, to whom he was apparently very close, died last week. He has gone to Adelaide for the funeral and to visit family and won’t be returning to Sydney until Wednesday or possibly even Thursday. Some people respond to something like this by having shockers, some play blinders, time will tell.

hujsh
09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
I wish I'd seen more of him in the ruck. I can't imagine even someone like Cox becoming a full time midfielder like Goodes

Dancin' Douggy
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I think Goodes lost alot of admirers with his slimy sniping tactics over the last couple of years.
I look at him now and see a genuinely dirty player. And there really aren't many left in the league.
The fact that the tribunal has bent over backwards like a "conga line of suck holes" to keep him on the park makes it even harder to forgive, let alone digest. He can go to hell for all I care. Hall too while I'm on the war path.

Dogs 24/7
09-09-2008, 09:29 PM
What a player. Im not sure how he slipped so far down the draft the year he was selected but hehas been one of the better fooballers eaac year for a number of seasons. Who do we play on him to keep him quiet ?
I know SS says Morris but Goodes poses the same problem for him as Franklin did so I dont think this is a great match up for us.

Mantis
09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
What a player. Im not sure how he slipped so far down the draft the year he was selected but hehas been one of the better fooballers eaac year for a number of seasons. Who do we play on him to keep him quiet ?
I know SS says Morris but Goodes poses the same problem for him as Franklin did so I dont think this is a great match up for us.

Either do I, but what other options do we have? Realistically it doesn't look like we will bring in a tallish defender so we might be stuck with what we have.

I suppose we will know more at about 5.30 on Thursday arvo. or maybe at about 7pm on Friday.

1eyedog
09-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't trust Wight or Everitt on Goodes they are too slight and are moved of the ball too easily both in marking contests as well ground contests, Morris is our only option. Goodes is only traveling at 70% at best. Morris should be able to take care of him.

Raw Toast
10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Good profile SS. Depending on how we are doing in the middle, I think Griffen would be a good back up. We need better run from defence almost as much as we need more intensity around clearances, so it could help us in a couple of ways.

The Unknown

It will also be interesting to see where Goodes’ head is this week. His cousin, to whom he was apparently very close, died last week. He has gone to Adelaide for the funeral and to visit family and won’t be returning to Sydney until Wednesday or possibly even Thursday. Some people respond to something like this by having shockers, some play blinders, time will tell.

He wore two black-arm bands last week and motioned very emotionally to one when he kicked the sealer - everyone else was wearing one for a long-time trainer who had just died, and the commentators said this is why Goodes was so emotional, but I thought it was more likely to be something else, and reading about his cousin makes it seem that way.

Hopefully he's spent by last week's effort, and his head is a bit elsewhere for this game.

Happy Days
10-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Good profile SS. Depending on how we are doing in the middle, I think Griffen would be a good back up. We need better run from defence almost as much as we need more intensity around clearances, so it could help us in a couple of ways.

Good point...last weeks game proved we can't win playing overly-defensive football. Having these two go at it head to head would be fantastic to watch, and Griffen at 100% beats Goodes at 70% every day of the week.

Mofra
10-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Good point...last weeks game proved we can't win playing overly-defensive football. Having these two go at it head to head would be fantastic to watch, and Griffen at 100% beats Goodes at 70% every day of the week.
I half-heartedly suggested last week we roll the dice, play an all out attacking style of footballa nd put Gilbee on Franklin. If we did, every Hawthorn F50 entry would have basically resulted in a shot on goal for either team.

I don't mind the suggestion that Griffen go to Goodes, except for one thing - Griffen was our best midfielder last week, actually tried to make the play and would be perhaps too big a sacrifice from our midfield.