PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Grayham

Sockeye Salmon
10-09-2008, 09:42 PM
First of all let me preface this by saying I am only passing on what was written in another forum and have no idea as to the validity...

It was claimed that a deal has basically already been struck in principle for us to pick up Jamie Grayham from West Coast. It was said that the price would be nominal (very low pick).

All I know is that he's 196cm and has played mainly in the backline for WC.

He has a fantastic season in 2006 but only managed 6 games in 2008.

He will be 26 next February.

GVGjr
10-09-2008, 09:53 PM
He would add depth and I'm sure a few of us were interested in him last year as well. The fact that he couldn't hold a spot at West Coast given their form isn't a positive for him though. I'm not against us trying to secure some guys with a bit of experience at a decent price. We have a tendency of drafting guys like O'Shea and Skipper with late picks even though we know that they will take a number of years to make the grade. Getting a guy that is 26 with nearly 40 games experience that can fill a couple of positions with a late pick might be worth considering.

LostDoggy
10-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Another McDougall?

bulldogtragic
10-09-2008, 10:06 PM
He would add depth and I'm sure a few of us were interested in him last year as well. The fact that he couldn't hold a spot at West Coast given their form isn't a positive for him though. I'm not against us trying to secure some guys with a bit of experience at a decent price. We have a tendency of drafting guys like O'Shea and Skipper with late picks even though we know that they will take a number of years to make the grade. Getting a guy that is 26 with nearly 40 games experience that can fill a couple of positions with a late pick might be worth considering.
Grayham for Skipper on the list.

I'd take that for a low pick.

Bulldog Revolution
10-09-2008, 10:11 PM
I've thought previously he was very much worth adding to our list. I was hoping we'd get him at the end of last year, but he re-signed so I presume he would have another year to run on his deal.

But he's been injured and or completely fallen out of favour with the Eagles since he was dropped from their 2006 premiership team.

this was an article in the leadup to the 2006 grand final
-----------------------------------------------
Graham's family waits with bated breath
September 28, 2006

Raised by his grandparents through a difficult childhood, Eagle Jaymie Graham hopes to share grand final day with them, writes Ray Wilson.

LONG before he first stood some of the best forwards in the game, Jaymie Graham had stared into some of life's toughest challenges. Which is why having his Nan and Pop at the MCG on Saturday is such an important part of his grand final dream.

Former horse trainer Peter Graham and his wife Robyn raised Jaymie from the age of four and his younger brother, Mitch, after his mother's life was ruined by drugs.

"When they were four or five, I said to their mum (Robyn's daughter), 'I'll take the boys for 12 months for you to get yourself back together'," Robyn said. "They never went back.

Jaymie is full of admiration for his grandparents, who he sees every week, dining with them and his girlfriend Kasey after West Coast home games.

"Two days won't go by without Jaymie calling us," Robyn said. "We just love him, he's gorgeous."

The love is shared. "They've been great," Jaymie said. "They've been inspirational. They got me to where I am today.

"I learnt a lot from what happened to my mum — drugs were the problem. So that's taught me and my younger brother Mitch a lesson. Nan and Pop brought us up well."

His unusual name came through his mother's belief that he could swap to Jay at a later time if he wanted to. He doesn't.

Most of Jaymie's childhood was spent in Kalgoorlie, where Peter Graham was a horse trainer.

"I've stayed away from the races, too many early mornings. That's what happened with uncle Brad (Peter's son), who played in the (1985) Teal Cup side with Woosha (John Worsfold) and Peter Sumich, but when Pop got suspended he gave up footy to become the horse trainer," Graham said. "I tried not to make that mistake but when they needed a hand I helped out."

Graham cut his teeth on the rock-hard Digger Daws Oval, the home ground of Mines Rovers, the club that spawned Luke Toia and Dean Irving.

"It was good for my footy because you got to play against grown men when you were 16," Graham said. "I got a lot of help from Merv Dellar who was coaching at the time."

He played a significant role in South Fremantle's premiership last season while still rookie-listed with the Eagles. While his Bulldogs mates celebrated the victory, Graham stayed on the water — just in case he was needed on the AFL grand final day in the clash against Sydney. He wasn't.

On the morning of "Mad Monday", life took another turn when he was summoned to Worsfold's office. Despite playing two games in 2005, Graham was rising 23, beyond the limit for rookies. And he was nervous.

"I was happy the way I finished last year but I was till on the rookie list and I wanted to get on the main list," Graham said.

"I was fortunate enough at that meeting to be told by Woosha that I was going to be promoted. It was a relief and good knowing that going into the pre-season."

Graham played all 22 home-and-away games, along with the qualifying final against Sydney before getting dropped for the Western Bulldogs semi-final.

The lanky defender was recalled for Saturday's preliminary final against Adelaide but knows there are no guarantees of a guernsey on football's biggest stage.

But Graham wants the opportunity to mix it with Barry Hall and Michael O'Loughlin at the MCG on Saturday. Nan and Pop want it, too.

"We've got a very good babysitter and she has kindly offered to look after the kids for four days if the Eagles got into the grand final," Robyn said. "I've got my fingers crossed that Jaymie gets a game."

Mofra
10-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Another McDougall?
Graham isn't as talented as Doogs, he has had to work harder just to get his shot. I'd be happy to give Graham a shot, given we don't actually have a functioning CHB and will not have one next year given the reluctance to give the role back to Wight.

I'd rather use a late pick on someone physically ready who might get beaten at senior level than another M.West/J.Wells type that never gets to VFL seniors

Happy Days
10-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Graham isn't as talented as Doogs, he has had to work harder just to get his shot. I'd be happy to give Graham a shot, given we don't actually have a functioning CHB and will not have one next year given the reluctance to give the role back to Wight.

I'd rather use a late pick on someone physically ready who might get beaten at senior level than another M.West/J.Wells type that never gets to VFL seniors

Concur 100%. Even if he doesn't work out, its only a late pick. Well worth the punt.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2008, 10:47 PM

An honest and persuasive argument.

Sockeye Salmon
10-09-2008, 11:10 PM

I very much doubt Wight would be retained on the list if we got Graham.

If he could pinch hit in the ruck if Hudson or Minson got hurt you could get rid of Skipper and Street as well.

LostDoggy
10-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Dont rate Jamie Grayham. Better off taking a kid in the draft.

FrediKanoute
11-09-2008, 12:07 AM
I very much doubt Wight would be retained on the list if we got Graham.
If he could pinch hit in the ruck if Hudson or Minson got hurt you could get rid of Skipper and Street as well.

I tend to agree. My feeling is that Wight hasn't progressed despite the work which Eade has personally put into him. He battles and puts in, but at the end of the day he just does not have a footy brain.

FrediKanoute
11-09-2008, 12:13 AM

I can't agree with that as a blanket approach. For everyone of our late picks which has been a star and made it, there are likely to be 2 or 3 times as many who haven't gotten close.

If Graham can assist and help us fill a gap which we currently have then I would be inclined to do the deal. Todd Curley, Matthew Dent and Bernard Toohey are just three unfashionable footballers who we got cheap or through trades who became important players for us.

I don;t know much about Grayham, so wont comment on whether he is good or bad, but we lack a tall at the back, especially with Williams' injury problems and giving up pick 40 to 60 for wouldn't hurt too much!

bornadog
11-09-2008, 12:17 AM

I tend to agree with you Jerry. I am sick of taking older talls that turn out to be a waste of time. What we need on our list is young players, as the GC17 are going to swallow them all up. If Grayham was any good, West Coast would have given him a go.

Bulldogs_6
11-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Nothing more than a 4th Rounder for mine.. Or him and a 2nd Rounder for Ray?

westdog54
11-09-2008, 02:20 AM
Nothing more than a 4th Rounder for mine.. Or him and a 2nd Rounder for Ray?

If he can't get a game for West Coast at the moment I would be lowballing, swap of 2nd/3rd round picks for me.

He'd fill a gap for us but I wouldn't lose sleep if a deal wasn't done.

Bulldog Revolution
11-09-2008, 07:59 AM
I think it would be a swap of our 4th pick for their 5th pick and Graham, which would mean selecting a few spots later (4),

Given that Clayton normally gets who he wants at that stage of the draft anyway the reality is it wont cost us anything

Sedat
11-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Meh.....is the first word that springs to mind. Just a battler with limitations from what I've seen of him so far in his career. Didn't realise he was rising 26 either. Sounds like it won't cost much but that is hardly the point. Is he going to significantly improve our team so that we can become a premiership contender?

Messiah status safely with-held.

Go_Dogs
11-09-2008, 10:46 AM
It's an interesting proposition, but if we are going to trade for mature body depth, I think we may be better off keeping Wight and grabbing another player in the draft, as Jerry said.

Wight has seemed more comfortable every year on the list, and he might end up the type of player who only gives 3 or 4 years high end out put from 26 to 30, but I feel he is worth persisting with.

All we heard over summer was that Wight was going to be given a shot at CHF, and it never happened...there are still a few things to try, and he is still going to get bigger and stronger. His attack on the footy and contest too are great for a big man.

If it's Wight or Graham, I choose Wight.

bornadog
11-09-2008, 11:31 AM
It's an interesting proposition, but if we are going to trade for mature body depth, I think we may be better off keeping Wight and grabbing another player in the draft, as Jerry said.

Wight has seemed more comfortable every year on the list, and he might end up the type of player who only gives 3 or 4 years high end out put from 26 to 30, but I feel he is worth persisting with.

All we heard over summer was that Wight was going to be given a shot at CHF, and it never happened...there are still a few things to try, and he is still going to get bigger and stronger. His attack on the footy and contest too are great for a big man.

I tend to agree, I still have hopes for Wight and at age 23, still has a lot of upside.

1eyedog
11-09-2008, 11:58 AM
No. Like my old Poppa always said, he said "Son you pay in peanuts and you get Monkeys". I would stay well clear. He will just clog the list and be off loaded after he does nothing for 2 or 3 years.

Sedat
11-09-2008, 12:10 PM
No. Like my old Poppa always said, he said "Son you pay in peanuts and you get Monkeys". I would stay well clear. He will just clog the list and be off loaded after he does nothing for 2 or 3 years.
In the same vein, but the sage advice I grew up hearing was "you can't make strawberry jam out of pig shit"

Bulldog Revolution
11-09-2008, 12:22 PM
He will just clog the list and be off loaded after he does nothing for 2 or 3 years.

I think thats the sticking point:

For my money it has to be a 1 year deal only. He has to show something in his first year.

Desipura
11-09-2008, 01:52 PM
what was that quote a politican came up with in the US today........."if you put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig"

Mofra
11-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I tend to agree with you Jerry. I am sick of taking older talls that turn out to be a waste of time. What we need on our list is young players, as the GC17 are going to swallow them all up. If Grayham was any good, West Coast would have given him a go.
So who are we going to draft who will be able to play CHB next year?
We simply don't have one at the moment.

It is easy to be idealistic and pretend that this upcoming draft will fulfil our needs, but talls take time and we need a stop-gap measure for at leats a couple of years until Everitt or even Boumann is ready for CHB. We paid nothing for Doogs, it almost worked out. Our other late pick talls (with the exception of Harris/Lake) have been pathetic.
Graham appears to have a different attitude to McDougall which convinces me he should get a shot. This is a guy who was damn close to a premiership player who was not given game time due to the form of Staker & the desire to blood Spangher (who I'd prefer, but doubt we'd be able to get).

Wight is out of favour, most other talls have been moved on, and 3 annual games from Williams is not a solution to what is possibly our most glaring need.

westdog54
11-09-2008, 02:50 PM
We paid nothing for Doogs, it almost worked out. Our other late pick talls (with the exception of Harris/Lake) have been pathetic.

As we discussed at training on Tuesday, the irony of it all is that if Doogs hadn't cracked the sads and decided just to quit mid-season he probably would be in the side right now.

Mantis
11-09-2008, 03:17 PM
So who are we going to draft who will be able to play CHB next year?
We simply don't have one at the moment.

It is easy to be idealistic and pretend that this upcoming draft will fulfil our needs, but talls take time and we need a stop-gap measure for at leats a couple of years until Everitt or even Boumann is ready for CHB. We paid nothing for Doogs, it almost worked out. Our other late pick talls (with the exception of Harris/Lake) have been pathetic.
Graham appears to have a different attitude to McDougall which convinces me he should get a shot. This is a guy who was damn close to a premiership player who was not given game time due to the form of Staker & the desire to blood Spangher (who I'd prefer, but doubt we'd be able to get).

Wight is out of favour, most other talls have been moved on, and 3 annual games from Williams is not a solution to what is possibly our most glaring need.

So the fact that our forwardline resembles oompa-loompa land doesn't bother you?

Scraggers
11-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Agreed ... had him out at our school early last year, so have watched a bit of his footy in the WAFL with interest since then ... don't rate him !!

Agreed and Agreed

Agreed, Agreed and Agreed

1eyedog
11-09-2008, 03:41 PM
So the fact that our forwardline resembles oompa-loompa land doesn't bother you?

Exactly, geez I'd almost be willing to give up a bit more and get Hansen and plonk him at CHF than get Grayham for CHB. I have faith in Williams at CHB anyway. With Grayham we are just drafting another Wight. Keep Wight for a year then see if I care.

bornadog
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Exactly, geez I'd almost be willing to give up a bit more and get Hansen and plonk him at CHF than get Grayham for CHB. I have faith in Williams at CHB anyway. With Grayham we are just drafting another Wight. Keep Wight for a year then see if I care.

In regards to injuries:

Hansen = Williams

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Yes it did, he failed miserably.

Whether we keep Graham or Wight doesn't make any difference to whether we draft another young kid or not, they both take up 1 space on the list and there would be no way we would keep both.

Street will probably go and if Graham could pinch-hit as a back-up ruckman we could cut Skipper as well which would give us another chance at a kid.

Cyberdoggie
11-09-2008, 04:38 PM

Whether we keep Graham or Wight doesn't make any difference to whether we draft another young kid or not, they both take up 1 space on the list and there would be no way we would keep both.

Street will probably go and if Graham could pinch-hit as a back-up ruckman we could cut Skipper as well which would give us another chance at a kid.

as well as Ayce?

It is a dilemna, Street or Skipper or get rid of both!

Personnally I'd dump em both, but it does put us at risk if there are injuries.

Perhaps your boy Mulligan or Shaw might get promoted? Seemed an odd choice to rookie 3 kids if we had no intention of picking them eventually.

bornadog
11-09-2008, 04:40 PM

SS, He never got to play CHF as Williams was injured and he played CHB.

Why are we ignoring the posters from WA, ie Jerry and Scragger, who have watched Grayham play and have called him a dud? As I said previously, if he was any good Westcoast would have played him.

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2008, 04:43 PM
as well as Ayce?

it is a dilemna, Street or Skipper or get rid of both!

Personnally i'd dump em both, but it does put us at risk if there are injuries.

Perhaps your boy Mulligan or Shaw might get promoted? Seemed an odd choice to rookie 3 kids if we had no intention of picking them eventually.

Shaw is too short to ruck at AFL level and not very athletic. I don't understand why we rookied him in the first place. He'll be cut for sure.

Cordy will get smashed if they try to ruck him anytime before the next visit of Halley's Comet.

I'd love to see Mulligan elevated. Great size, great athletisism, if only we can teach him a bit more about footy ...

1eyedog
11-09-2008, 04:51 PM
In regards to injuries:

Hansen = Williams

Yep I realise that, so that's how much I want Grayham at the club!

bornadog
11-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Yep I realise that, so that's how much I want Grayham at the club!

Hold on, what do you know about him. Check the posts from Jerry and Scragger who have watched him play in the WAFL. I wonder if MJP has seen him?

Topdog
11-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Hold on, what do you know about him. Check the posts from Jerry and Scragger who have watched him play in the WAFL. I wonder if MJP has seen him?

So because they live in WA and follow the Bulldogs they know a lot about Grayham?

From everything I have heard he is someone who tries hard and has a bit of talent but is not good enough to be elite. I'm all for giving up nothing for him which is essentially what we will do in order to have a back up CHB at the very least.

Look who is playing CHB for us at the moment!

bornadog
11-09-2008, 06:52 PM
So because they live in WA and follow the Bulldogs they know a lot about Grayham?
From everything I have heard he is someone who tries hard and has a bit of talent but is not good enough to be elite. I'm all for giving up nothing for him which is essentially what we will do in order to have a back up CHB at the very least.

Look who is playing CHB for us at the moment!

Did I say that:mad:, if you read their posts, they have watched him play in the WAFL.
Agreed ... had him out at our school early last year, so have watched a bit of his footy in the WAFL with interest since then ... don't rate him !!

WE won't be giving up nothing we will be giving up a spot to draft another young player for the future.

Look, I know nothing about this player, other than he is 26 years old in Feb 2009, he has played very little senior football for almost two years and I am being told by WA watchers that he isnot much chop. Just because he is tall, doesn't make him any good.

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2008, 07:51 PM
WE won't be giving up nothing we will be giving up a spot to draft another young player for the future.

That's not necessarily true.

If we pick up Graham we'll almost certainly cut Wight. I'd much rather Graham.

LostDoggy
11-09-2008, 07:54 PM

Still taking the place of a young kid on the list. Doesnt matter which way you look at it.

hujsh
11-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I remember him getting 26 possessions at one stage IIRC which may be a possible string to his bow.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2008, 08:46 PM

2nd the motion.

LostDoggy
11-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Motion carried.

GVGjr
11-09-2008, 10:01 PM

I get the feeling that Wight has lost the support that he had amongst the coaches and I can understand if he gets dropped but I would be very temped to keep him regardless if we got Graham. We really wanted to play him as a forward this year however that never eventuated and I wouldn't be upset if we kept around the place for another season.

LostDoggy
11-09-2008, 10:36 PM
We are better off trying out Lake in the forward line rather than Wight.
We should to get good 2 key backs from Williams, Everitt and Graham(if he comes)

Mofra
11-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Of course it does, but nowhere near as much as having no CHB to speak of. Hahn is roughly the same size as Brereton & Dunstall and when our midfield is winning we can compensate for the season or so it will take until Grant or hopefully Boumann crack into the side on a regular basis.

We need someone who can at least create a contest, even if they are the 6th defender in the side (a la Harry Taylor at the Cats). Right now we lose our best stopper (Morris) to scarifice him to a tall, Hargrave then moves up one rung, and so it goes.

Mantis
12-09-2008, 12:02 AM
We need someone who can at least create a contest, even if they are the 6th defender in the side (a la Harry Taylor at the Cats). Right now we lose our best stopper (Morris) to scarifice him to a tall, Hargrave then moves up one rung, and so it goes.

So what of Williams then, providing he get's fit, and I think he will, where do we play him?

I do agree with you that we probably need some further defensive back-up, but I wouldn't have that this person would be any more capable than Tom of filling the CHB post. Now I know little of Graham, but at his age he should raelly be playing regular senior footy and I am sick of recruiting players who might be helpful. We either recruit player's who will play 22 games (Hudson, Welsh) or we load up on kids.

1eyedog
12-09-2008, 12:30 AM
So what of Williams then, providing he get's fit, and I think he will, where do we play him?

I do agree with you that we probably need some further defensive back-up, but I wouldn't have that this person would be any more capable than Tom of filling the CHB post. Now I know little of Graham, but at his age he should raelly be playing regular senior footy and I am sick of recruiting players who might be helpful. We either recruit player's who will play 22 games (Hudson, Welsh) or we load up on kids.

Very difficult to get these type of players straight up, Welsh and Hudson were boons, Aker was a miracle. I agree however that it needs to be this cutthroat. Either trade hard and get what we want, i.e. the above or go with the kids.

Topdog
12-09-2008, 08:33 AM

If Williams is fit he obviously goes to CHB, simple. If Grayham isn't better then Williams then he is our backup CHB taking the place of our current CHB Noone.

Dry Rot
12-09-2008, 11:13 AM
My concern is that all this this may occur because it's kind of convenient ie Graham wants to/has returned to Melbourne, rather than us thinking so highly of him that we actively pursued him coming off contract.

Bulldog4life
12-09-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't know a lot about him but I have read that it appears that West Coast might be looking to trade Mark Seaby. Just wondering what others think of him.

strebla
12-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't know about all of you but as I understand itDavid Mundy wants back to Victoria chase him and chase him hard tall stong quick and only 22 he is our man we must pull out all stops here and stop dicking around with fringe dwellers .I would cut Street and Skipper and keep Wight as our backup

Rocket Science
12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't know a lot about him but I have read that it appears that West Coast might be looking to trade Mark Seaby. Just wondering what others think of him.

Worst hair in footy!...21st century version of a mullet that'd make Choco/Ang Petraglia proud!

GVGjr
12-09-2008, 02:44 PM
My concern is that all this this may occur because it's kind of convenient ie Graham wants to/has returned to Melbourne, rather than us thinking so highly of him that we actively pursued him coming off contract.

I'm not reading it that way at all. Graham is simply looking to establish himself as a player at another side and we are looking at adding a tall defender. My guess is his preference would have been to stay in the west.

1eyedog
12-09-2008, 03:00 PM

A shorter Peter Street

Mofra
12-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Williams would clearly be the first choice CHB IF he is fit. The fact is he has shown so far he is made of crepe paper so planning for a fit Williams and no plan B doesn't strike me as a sound policy.

Graham would be cheap and has enough ticker to keep going, and I'm not set on him specifically - anyone who has shown they can give a serious contest. He is no star and is realistically a 2-3 proposition until Everitt is developed, but I can't see us being a genuine challenger for a flag until we have two tall defenders who can play on KPPs, we only have one at the moment that ever seems to be able to get on the park.

Sockeye Salmon
12-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Graham is from Kalgoorlie. The only reason for him to move to Melbourne would be for his career.

I think we have actively chased him.

mighty_west
13-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Smacks of another McDougall to me, what is he, 26? has he even played 50 games?

:eek:

Bulldog Revolution
13-09-2008, 11:54 AM
He's a speculative punt, but we need an strong bodied defensive option to relive Morris, Lake and Hargrave on occasions

I think Graham might be under contract with the Eagles, and so by him moving he is trying to advance his career

ledge
13-09-2008, 12:15 PM
First try should be Warnock, then Mundy, then Graham.

GVGjr
13-09-2008, 12:23 PM
First try should be Warnock, then Mundy, then Graham.

Warnock isn't a possibility. We already have two ruckman. He will want to go to Carlton or Melbourne.

mighty_west
13-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Warnock isn't a possibility. We already have two ruckman. He will want to go to Carlton or Melbourne.

Plus we have a developing Ruck / forward as a F/S selection in this years draft, our ruck stocks seem to be ok now, we just need a tall forward or 2.

Before I Die
13-09-2008, 11:50 PM

That would be because he is: 3 years older; 4cm shorter; can't get a game in the second bottom team as opposed to holding down CHB in a team that won 9 straight; doesn't have the same aerobic ability.

Did I miss anything?

If you keep believing the grass is greener in the next paddock you will inevitably get your head stuck in the fence. It may already be too late.

Stevo
14-09-2008, 08:53 AM

I can't agree with this one Sockeye. Graham is a fringe player at a struggling club that was light on for key defenders anyway so unless he was dominating at the state league or there was a personality conflict with the coaches, at best he would be a fringe player for us. We don't need more of those.

The Underdog
14-09-2008, 09:47 AM

He's already announced Carlton as his preferred team. You're right he is no possibility.

Topdog
14-09-2008, 09:48 AM
That would be because he is: 3 years older; 4cm shorter; can't get a game in the second bottom team as opposed to holding down CHB in a team that won 9 straight; doesn't have the same aerobic ability.

Did I miss anything?

Yes you did miss something. Wight is clearly out of favour at the Bulldogs. We have been screaming out for a CHB and the club hasn't come close to picking him in the past 2 months.

Before I Die
14-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Yes you did miss something. Wight is clearly out of favour at the Bulldogs. We have been screaming out for a CHB and the club hasn't come close to picking him in the past 2 months.

No, I don't agree. For the past two months we have been planning for Buddy and clearly the coaches didn't see Wight as the answer, hence they have been trying out Plans B, C and D. None of which worked. Tiller had better form at Williamstown and matched up better on Goodes so he came in last Friday. It would not surprise me to see Wight come in against Geelong and I would be very surprised if Wight is not still very much part of Eade's planning moving forward. I believe he could still be a KPP and if he can develop his ruck work he has the potential to become an elite Follower. Before all the attacks start, note that I said "could be" and "potential". He may not make it, but it would be two more seasons before I would be completely writing him off. 200cm elite runners with a ferocity for the contest are just too rare to come by.

Happy Days
14-09-2008, 03:34 PM
No, I don't agree. For the past two months we have been planning for Buddy and clearly the coaches didn't see Wight as the answer, hence they have been trying out Plans B, C and D. None of which worked.

And yet they were all better than Cam. He's had his chance, and now its time to progress.

strebla
14-09-2008, 05:17 PM
No, I don't agree. For the past two months we have been planning for Buddy and clearly the coaches didn't see Wight as the answer, hence they have been trying out Plans B, C and D. None of which worked. Tiller had better form at Williamstown and matched up better on Goodes so he came in last Friday. It would not surprise me to see Wight come in against Geelong and I would be very surprised if Wight is not still very much part of Eade's planning moving forward. I believe he could still be a KPP and if he can develop his ruck work he has the potential to become an elite Follower. Before all the attacks start, note that I said "could be" and "potential". He may not make it, but it would be two more seasons before I would be completely writing him off. 200cm elite runners with a ferocity for the contest are just too rare to come by.

I could not agree more I think although he hasn't progressed as much over the year his progresion from last year was vast with another summer or two he could be the answer we are all looking for

mjp
14-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Tiller had better form at Williamstown and matched up better on Goodes so he came in last Friday.

Ummm. Tiller never played on Goodes. In fact, Tiller started the game on Everitt - which the coaches must have predicted would happen - and if you are going to tell me that Tiller is a better match for Everitt than Wight is...well, if you are, they says all you are ever going to know about Cam as a footballer.

He is 200cm. He doesn't play in the ruck. He doesn't take marks as a forward. He defends the high ball OK when playing back (aka Fletcher style) but doesn't read the ball well enough to be the 3rd man up and is outbodied too easily one-on-one. He is struggling at VFL level.

Based on the physical gifts he has, you are correct in everything you say. Based on everything else, you are incorrect. I guess it is just a question as to whether or not the time he has been given is extended (again) based on hope? I tend to think that as this is the last untainted draft, the answer will be no and he will be delisted. He seems like a terrifically nice team man and all that, but that is what I think will happen...faith has to be repayed sometime and I suspect patience will have finally run out.

LostDoggy
14-09-2008, 08:00 PM

Exactly. He has the attributes to suggest he deserves a go again next season.

FFS, we still have Skipper on our list and he's had more time than Wight.

Dancin' Douggy
14-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Can't see any justification for keeping either of them.

bulldogtragic
14-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Skipper should be absolutely gone. If we were to get Graham, then Wight should be moved on.

Bumper Bulldogs
14-09-2008, 08:31 PM

I most definitely would keep Cam. I feel he has a future once he is injury free. Also with Williams, Everett, Lake and Cam we have enough height. We just need them to harden up and get games into them. I feel they should be looking at a big forward.

Bumper Bulldogs
14-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Exactly. He has the attributes to suggest he deserves a go again next season.

FFS, we still have Skipper on our list and he's had more time than Wight.

I like Skipper and he could be used if a Will went down as he would be better at FF than Street. I feel it a shame that Skipper hadn't got a go this year he was hitting some form and then got injured.

Still a valuable asset IMO.