PDA

View Full Version : Will the weather play a part?

Mantis
11-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Forecast is for a warm & windy evening.

Last time I can recall us playing in such condition's was back in 1999, when a supposed highly skilled Bulldogs team came un-done to West Coast in a qualifying final on the MCG. On this night we turned the ball over on countless occassions and pretty much threw the game away.

With our foot skills being off the mark over the past couple of months will we be able to be effective in such conditions?

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2008, 10:54 PM

Last time I can recall us playing in such condition's was back in 1999, when a supposed highly skilled Bulldogs team came un-done to West Coast in a qualifying final on the MCG. On this night we turned the ball over on countless occassions and pretty much threw the game away.

With our foot skills being off the mark over the past couple of months will we be able to be effective in such conditions?

The wind scares the buggery out of me.

If we run forward of the ball and then miss targets we're in real strife.

LostDoggy
11-09-2008, 11:00 PM
The forecast i saw said 14km/h breeze. Hardly anything to worry about.

Mantis
12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
For those who live interstate it's a pretty windy day here in Melbourne.

Wind coming from the north and blowing at 20-30km/hr, gusting a bit harder.

If it stays like this it will be very blustery inside the G tonight.

Sedat
12-09-2008, 09:46 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing as I was driving into work this morning. Warm day, strong wind gusts, Friday night final at the MCG against an interstate opponent, reeks of the 1999 QF against the West Coast. Only difference being we aren't all that skilled and have been missing plenty of targets even in pristine conditions in recent weeks. If we have a ferocity at the contests and the stoppages and are able to generate enough forward thrusts, someone like a Hahn will really come into his own this week. Funnily enough, so too will Welsh, who is a very good at reading the flight of the ball off the boot.

Having said all that, I'd much prefer a still night, but I suspect so too would Sydney's key forwards. You'd imagine our defenders will be hell-bent on giving nothing away this week, making life tough for the likes of Hall and Goodes. Factor in haphazard delivery as a result of the windy conditions and they might find it every bit as tricky as us. Sydney are great in the wet but would not have encounted windy conditions all that often.

1eyedog
12-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Unless we change the way we move the ball (i.e. hit up targets with precise field kicking) Sydney will undoubtedly have the advantage as they love to run the ball out of defence with chains of handball.

Dry Rot
12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Having said all that, I'd much prefer a still night, but I suspect so too would Sydney's key forwards. You'd imagine our defenders will be hell-bent on giving nothing away this week, making life tough for the likes of Hall and Goodes. Factor in haphazard delivery as a result of the windy conditions and they might find it every bit as tricky as us. Sydney are great in the wet but would not have encounted windy conditions all that often.

Not sure I agree with that. They often do a lot of dinky little passes by foot and unlike our home ground, the SCG and Homebush don't have a roof. It can get quite windy at the SCG.

Dry Rot
12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Our guys train at the Whitten Oval, just because we have stopped playing games there doesn't mean the wind has stopped blowing all of a sudden.

Yes, I assume that where we play hasn't affected the weather of Victoria.

What is has affected is actually playing in windy conditions, rather than training.

In any event, I was mainly answering the suggestion that Sydney aren't experienced in playing in windy conditions. And as others have said, windy conditions may affect our usual playing style a bit more than theirs.

It may aid us a little as they have had inaccuracy in front of goal issues this season.

dog town
12-09-2008, 11:35 AM
They might be the masters of contested footy but they rely on precision by foot just as much as us. The equation hasn't changed just because its windy. Its going to be a great game for neutrals and a great game for us as a team. We could be a laughing stock after this game or it could be the start of our side maturing into a hardened finals outfit.

Not a huge fan of all the talk about us trying to break even at stoppages and contested ball so that we can outrun them. When we were at our best this season we were just bashing sides in close so we just need to get back to basics. Dont give ourselves the option of falling back on our running game and just get the job done inside. Get in harder and lower than our opponents and just be honest every time we go into a contest. If we do that then we will win in any conditions against a team like Sydney. They are expecting us to fold and the longer we dont the more frustrated they will get.

LostDoggy
12-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Haha i think wind is the least of our worries

Lets focus on getting the ball out of the middle before kicking goals across the face :)

bornadog
12-09-2008, 03:01 PM

Lets focus on getting the ball out of the middle before kicking goals across the face :)

spot on

westdog54
12-09-2008, 03:07 PM
The forecast i saw said 14km/h breeze. Hardly anything to worry about.
The breeze can be real funny inside the G.

Swirls around and plays absolute buggery with your disposal.

Anything above 10km/h can play havoc with a team not ready for it.

Mantis
12-09-2008, 03:19 PM

I think the main concern would be how we are going to get the ball into our forwardline to have a shot on goal in the first place.

Our field kicking in general hasn't been the best over the past 6 to 8 weeks.

Thinking back to the first qtr against Geelong in rd 16 we kicked with the use of a 2 to 3 goal wind, but continually butchered the ball going forward, especailly with our long kicks into the 'dead' pocket.

Our 'smart' players (not sure who they are??) will have to come to the fore tonight.

bornadog
12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I think the main concern would be how we are going to get the ball into our forwardline to have a shot on goal in the first place.

Our field kicking in general hasn't been the best over the past 6 to 8 weeks.

Thinking back to the first qtr against Geelong in rd 16 we kicked with the use of a 2 to 3 goal wind, but continually butchered the ball going forward, especailly with our long kicks into the 'dead' pocket.

Our 'smart' players (not sure who they are??) will have to come to the fore tonight.

In the Geelong game we kicked to the wrong side of the goals, whereas Geelong in that last quarter, used the wind better and kicked at least four cruticial goals in the last quarter from that pocket, which then buried us. Hopefully we play the MCG better.

Raw Toast
12-09-2008, 04:11 PM
If gale-force winds hit during the game things might get interesting...

http://www.theage.com.au/national/brace-yourselves-galeforce-winds-to-buffet-state-20080912-4f45.html

NoName
12-09-2008, 04:12 PM

Agree

Sedat
12-09-2008, 04:38 PM
If gale-force winds hit during the game things might get interesting...

http://www.theage.com.au/national/brace-yourselves-galeforce-winds-to-buffet-state-20080912-4f45.html
Wind has died down in Melbourne as of right now. Absolutely cracking day. Wind might be more of an issue for Collingwood and the Saints tomorrow night.

bornadog
12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Wind has died down in Melbourne as of right now. Absolutely cracking day. Wind might be more of an issue for Collingwood and the Saints tomorrow night.

That was part of the forecast. Also said it would pick up again tonight, but nnot sure when.

bornadog
16-09-2008, 07:38 PM
The weather could play a part this week as I believe rain maybe forecast. Will this suit Geelong more, with their bigger bodies?

dog town
16-09-2008, 09:06 PM
The weather could play a part this week as I believe rain maybe forecast. Will this suit Geelong more, with their bigger bodies?
Get your body in first and body line the ball so that size counts for nothng. Weather shouldn't really play a part if we are fair dinkum. They have more powerful bodies but they also play a high possesion game.

DOG GOD
16-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Put body on the line...tackle hard and NO easy kicks.

LostDoggy
16-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Fridays forecast for the Geelong game (from my iphone)

21 Degrees with a little sun that has a slight cloud streak through it

Should be a nice night, an overnight low of 11 degrees :)

bornadog
17-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Fridays forecast for the Geelong game (from my iphone)

21 Degrees with a little sun that has a slight cloud streak through it

Should be a nice night, an overnight low of 11 degrees :)

Sounds good, can't wait.

LostDoggy
17-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Make that 24 degrees now ;)

bornadog
17-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Make that 24 degrees now ;)

night time?

LostDoggy
17-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Well this comes off bom.gov.au

Friday Shower or two. Min 12 Max 23

Dry Rot
19-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Weather update please?

bornadog
19-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Weather update please?

Forecast for Friday
Cloud increasing this afternoon with a few showers developing and the chance of
a thunderstorm. Fresh to strong, gusty northerly winds shifting westerly late in
the day before easing this evening.

Precis: Afternoon showers.
City: Max 22

Mantis
19-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Much of the rain predicted has slipped down south.

For updates click here:

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/radar/

Dry Rot
19-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks Mantis & BAD.

There's a bit more coming in from SA, but hopefully it will travel S-E and miss Melbourne.

I think the rain favours the Cats.

The Coon Dog
19-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks Mantis & BAD.

There's a bit more coming in from SA, but hopefully it will travel S-E and miss Melbourne.

I think the rain favours the Cats.

I thought that too with their bigger bodies, but then they like to move the ball forward by hand too which won't suit them.

At the end of the day (sound like Gary Ayres) if we're good enough we'll prevail whatever the waether.

strebla
19-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I thought that too with their bigger bodies, but then they like to move the ball forward by hand too which won't suit them.

At the end of the day (sound like Gary Ayres) if we're good enough we'll prevail whatever the waether.

Waether Coon Dog very unlike you you must be as nervous as I am

bornadog
19-09-2008, 04:37 PM

I think the rain favours us as their forward line, with big guys like Mooney, Lonegran, Johnson will find it hard. Hudson is awesome in the rain so Ottens and Burke will struggle in the wet.

The Underdog
19-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I think the rain favours us as their forward line, with big guys like Mooney, Lonegran, Johnson will find it hard. Hudson is awesome in the rain so Ottens and Burke will struggle in the wet.

Blake too.
Just glad it's not at Kardinia. They're pretty good in the wet there. Although they're pretty good anywhere.
I'd be more confident about our chances in the wet if we weren't so consistently average in it.

Topdog
19-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Just heard a thunderstorm. I work about a 20 min walk from the MCG.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Not so sure we have,

Cross
Boyd
Cullan
Mitch
Huddo

& Eagle????

Still have them covered!

Bumper Bulldogs
19-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Just heard a thunderstorm. I work about a 20 min walk from the MCG.

Stay a little later it will pass