PDA

View Full Version : Get Adam Campbell!

Bulldogs_6
13-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Get Adam Campbell from Freo/West Perth now! Went to the WAFL to watch my Black Ducks get up, but when we were down, Adam Campbell kicked 6 in about 2 and a half quarters!
He was drilling them from everywhere, boundary, 50 out with the wind, 50 out against the wind.. and the best part I cannot remember him kicking a point :S
Another upside is his marking ability and strength. He was taking marks on the lead at his leisure, and in packs he was forcing contests which gave WP an advantage. He would have easily kicked 10 if West weren't so poor the second half.
Adam Campbell for Farren Ray, would even throw in a late pick.

LostDoggy
13-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Would you be willing to give up more than that to get him? What if they wanted Ray and our second round draft pick?

bulldogtragic
13-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Stats/details on Campbell please?

Bulldogs_6
13-09-2008, 10:37 PM

He's a tall Kiwi fella. Kicks bags of goals in the WAFL, is only young but when he's come into the AFL he's proved himself kicking 3-4 goals on a fair few occasions. To prove how foolish Freo have been they have kept him out of the side more than likely due to trying to prove Chris Tarrant is actually worthy to put on their jumper.
With this being the case I could imagine him doing extremely well in a different environment. Just love the kick on him, also his pair of hands. His strengths are his muscle in contests and out on the lead, also his conversion is extremely good.

Bulldogs_6
13-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Would you be willing to give up more than that to get him? What if they wanted Ray and our second round draft pick?

They wouldn't, they are ridiculous. Keeping Tarrant would be the way to go for them. Ray and 3rd round I'd definitely be willing, seeing as we might snare a couple of draft picks through other trades.

LostDoggy
13-09-2008, 10:56 PM
They wouldn't, they are ridiculous. Keeping Tarrant would be the way to go for them. Ray and 3rd round I'd definitely be willing, seeing as we might snare a couple of draft picks through other trades.

They might play some hard ball knowing that they could possibly get Ray for nix in the PS Draft anyway. I know Jerry has been talking him up but its good to get another POV.

LostDoggy
13-09-2008, 10:59 PM

Born: January 25, 1985
Games: 10
Height: 194cm
Weight: 90kg

Good height but the question is can he hold his marks.

I found this article called Campbell goes from zero to hero

AT THE 11-minute mark of the second quarter at Subiaco yesterday, Fremantle's season was wobbling towards oblivion.

Down by 27 points against a committed Hawthorn team, the Dockers had the football yips, bumbling and stumbling their way against the Hawks, who had turned the match into a runathon.

The Dockers were struggling to come to terms with the ebbs and flows of the Hawks' game plan, built largely around a dogged midfield spiced with plenty of dash from defence through Chance Bateman, Grant Birchall and Clinton Young.

Hawthorn had rattled Fremantle early through two early goals from Trent Croad, with another coming from Tim Boyle after a clean half-volley collect from Sam Mitchell who dished off to the big man. The crowd was so quiet you could hear Mitchell clapping the youngster, who secured the Hawks a 19-point lead.

Hawthorn was running harder and were better organised, its defensive tactics spooking the Dockers' midfield. The visitors were applying immense pressure, forcing Fremantle into errors and at times the Dockers handled the footy like a grenade while Luke Hodge, Mitchell and Shane Crawford were concise with their disposal.

Fremantle coughed it up by foot and hand and the Dockers looked mentally shot. Then, along came the unlikely duo of Chris Tarrant and Adam Campbell. Adam who?

In only his third game with the club, the New Zealand-born 22-year-old had the most important kick of his life 11 minutes into the term, when today's headlines could easily have signalled the death of Freo's finals chances. Campbell, a rangy type with a competitive edge, had kicked only one goal for the Dockers in his previous two outings, but when he made it two, Fremantle was back to within 21 points.

In a team lacking spark, Campbell did everything but cartwheels after he slotted the ball through on his left foot. You'd like to be there when he wins Tattslotto.

Inspiration, which had been in short supply, suddenly arrived in waves, as first Paul Hasleby stole a ball and kicked truly from 50 metres then Des Headland, enjoying a permanent forward role, added two more opportunistic goals.

With Aaron Sandilands controlling the air waves, and Hasleby working hard at ground level, the momentum was shifting.

Campbell performed another of his impromptu jigs late in the term when he slotted through his second just before the half-time siren, locking the scores.

Fremantle took control of the game in the early part of the third term on the back of strong work from Tarrant who toiled up as far as the wing but also enjoyed success in the goal square, kicking two goals.

Nor was Campbell done with yet. His pack mark produced his third and another celebration that ended when he bumped Campbell Brown, who was not amused. And when Ryan Crowley kicked truly from a free kick, Fremantle had skipped to a 19-point lead and the ball was in Hawthorn's court.

After the gut-running approach in the first half, the Hawks could be forgiven for running out of puff, but they steeled themselves for another crack, and when Ben McGlynn kicked truly, the Hawks had a six-point lead.

But nobody was saying Adam Who? when the half-forward, enjoying the freedom afforded him by the defenders watching Matthew Pavlich and Tarrant, banged through his fourth and stood with fists clenched and arms high to the crowd.

By then, the lead had changed 11 times, and Hawthorn was brave almost till the very end, when the Dockers grabbed a few bonus goals through Pavlich and Josh Carr to give the home side a 16-point victory and keep their season very much alive.

hujsh
13-09-2008, 11:31 PM
He's a tall Kiwi fella. Kicks bags of goals in the WAFL, is only young but when he's come into the AFL he's proved himself kicking 3-4 goals on a fair few occasions. To prove how foolish Freo have been they have kept him out of the side more than likely due to trying to prove Chris Tarrant is actually worthy to put on their jumper.
With this being the case I could imagine him doing extremely well in a different environment. Just love the kick on him, also his pair of hands. His strengths are his muscle in contests and out on the lead, also his conversion is extremely good.

2007 R7 Hawthorn he kicked 4.
2008 R20 St Kilda he kicked 3
2008 R19 Sydney he kicked 2.

That's all of his bags above 1 goal. 7 goals from 5 matches this year and 12 goals from 10 matches in his career.

A fair few times is pumping him up a little bit too much IMO. May still be a talent though

Stevo
14-09-2008, 09:03 AM

Sounds like one that a few clubs might be interested in. Is he really that good?
At least I can understand why we should be interested in a player that is missing opportunities because he is caught in a logjam behind some higher profile players. I think Timmy Boyle has the same problem at the Hawks.
The question I would ask with both of these players is that it is far easier for them to come in and look OK when there are other players drawing the oppositions best defenders but how have they gone when it's Scarlett or Fletcher marking them?
In the games that Campbell has played were Pavlich and Tarrant also in the forward structure?

If either of these guys were picked up by the Bulldogs they would invariably draw the best tall defender each week because Rocket simply will not play 3 tall forwards like so many other clubs do.

LostDoggy
14-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I recently asked about him in another thread.

These were the responses.

You did ask Coon Dog, what a keen football eye you must have. Did it have anything to do with me singing his praise for the last month?

dog town
14-09-2008, 04:31 PM
When they interviewed Cooney yesterday on the radio Mark Robinson suggested we were already actively pursuing a couple of tall forwards. Cant remember his exact words but the message was that we were into a few already.

bulldogtragic
14-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Campbell didn't play aussie rule until 13.

Assuming he's a late bloomer, it might be something to look at?

mjp
14-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Freo supporters love him because he 'crashes the packs'. What he doesn't do is kick goals.

Ryan Murphy regularly kicks bags of 6 and more at WAFL level - Campbell very infrequently. I dont hear anyone suggesting Murphy as the saviour. Further, Freo have just lost about a gazillion players to retirements, delistings and 'I wanna go homes' - who else do you think they are going to get rid off?

As an aside, that Campbell got 5 in the second quarter yesterday when the Falcons were cruising, yet was taking marks on the wing late in the game when they needed to kick goals to get back in it tells me all I need to know about him. As for Tarrant stopping his development, please. Tarrant doesn't seem to be stunting Pavlich's development. Franklin and Roughead being there haven't stopped little old Campbell Brown going forward and kicking 3-goals a week...if you are running to good spots and working hard, there are PLENTY of chances to go around.

NO THANK YOU.

bulldogtragic
14-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Freo supporters love him because he 'crashes the packs'. What he doesn't do is kick goals.

Ryan Murphy regularly kicks bags of 6 and more at WAFL level - Campbell very infrequently. I dont hear anyone suggesting Murphy as the saviour. Further, Freo have just lost about a gazillion players to retirements, delistings and 'I wanna go homes' - who else do you think they are going to get rid off?

As an aside, that Campbell got 5 in the second quarter yesterday when the Falcons were cruising, yet was taking marks on the wing late in the game when they needed to kick goals to get back in it tells me all I need to know about him. As for Tarrant stopping his development, please. Tarrant doesn't seem to be stunting Pavlich's development. Franklin and Roughead being there haven't stopped little old Campbell Brown going forward and kicking 3-goals a week...if you are running to good spots and working hard, there are PLENTY of chances to go around.

NO THANK YOU.
Thanks Mike.

Good enough for me.

BulldogBelle
14-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I watched the match.

Campbell didn't do anything exceptional to get the ball that led to his goals.

He looked more mature than most of the opposition.

I understand that we need a tall forward. If he is young enough he would be worth a risk.

Chris Yarran kicked 4 goals in the same match and showed some magic. He is a small player, only 17 years old and is tipped to be the next Jeff Farmer (hopefully without the angst).

dog town
15-09-2008, 02:10 PM

NO THANK YOU. Thanks for the run down from someone who would see him play on a semi regular basis. I thought he was a little better than that from the few games I have seen him in. I would be willing to find a spot for him but for some reason I get the feeling Freo would ask for a bit. That is not something I would do for a guy who hasn't really accomplished much.

Interesting that he is ranked 10th for average contested marks per game. He can certainly grab them when in position but I suppose he hasn't done it often enough for Freo or his WAFL club.

Sedat
15-09-2008, 02:15 PM

NO THANK YOU.
Apparently he has the aerobic capacity of Anthony Rocca ie: virtually none. Any truth to this Mike?

mjp
15-09-2008, 11:14 PM
No idea of that, but he doesn't seem to chase super hard.

dog town
16-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Looks like we might be interested in him. He has asked for a trade apparently

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495146

Sockeye Salmon
16-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Graham, Campbell... oh dear.

Get on Willi next year, they'll shit it in.

And here I was hoping for mitch Thorp. :(

dog town
16-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Graham, Campbell... oh dear.

Get on Willi next year, they'll shit it in.

And here I was hoping for mitch Thorp. :( Its not confirmed but looks like it was reported on the news in Perth. I actually like parts of Campbells game but worry we will pay over his worth. Graham seems a very strange move if its true. Its also been said that we are interested in Lovett which makes some sense given our lack of runners. We will almost certainly have to trade Ray if even 2 of these go through just so that we have our fill of draft selections. I suppose its very unlikely we will look at more than 1 or 2 established players. We would just be keeping our options open.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Its not confirmed but looks like it was reported on the news in Perth. I actually like parts of Campbells game but worry we will pay over his worth. Graham seems a very strange move if its true. Its also been said that we are interested in Lovett which makes some sense given our lack of runners. We will almost certainly have to trade Ray if even 2 of these go through just so that we have our fill of draft selections. I suppose its very unlikely we will look at more than 1 or 2 established players. We would just be keeping our options open.
What was on Perth news?

dog town
16-09-2008, 10:35 PM
What was on Perth news?
See the link on the previous page. Basically it looks like Campbell has asked to be traded and the speculation is he wants to come to our club. Not sure how much is in it.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 10:38 PM
See the link on the previous page. Basically it looks like Campbell has asked to be traded and the speculation is he wants to come to our club. Not sure how much is in it.
Thanks DT.

Interesting, he's still under contract????

Surely Ray's value is higher in any event. Can't see Thorp and Campbell traded to us.... :(

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Possibly very silly statement, but Campbell for a third rounder and Lynch?

If Lynch can get his attitude right, he can replace the forward pocket sopts now vacant at Freo. Ray in a straight swap is over payment for us, as is potentially a second rounder.

dog town
16-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks DT.

Interesting, he's still under contract????

Surely Ray's value is higher in any event. Can't see Thorp and Campbell traded to us.... :( Its all just hot air at the moment. Wouldn't read too much into it. We have a preliminary final to win.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Its all just hot air at the moment. Wouldn't read too much into it. We have a preliminary final to win.
A BF poster said his manager rang talkback during he week to say he wants out.. Interesting if true.

Rocket Science
16-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Provided we don't get bent over, which we probably will if we're recruiting any bloke over 6ft, based on what I've seen in a couple of games this season I think we could easily find a spot for Campbell in our forward line...Like his willingness in aerial contests, 24 yo late bloomer with plenty of upside, strikes me as a budding Cam Mooney type with the right tutelage...Well worth a punt.

Not sure if you'd play them side by side very often but a Minson-Campbell duo up forward would certainly make opposition backs earn their kicks.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Provided we don't get bent over, which we probably will if we're recruiting any bloke over 6ft, based on what I've seen in a couple of games this season I think we could easily find a spot for Campbell in our forward line...Like his willingness in aerial contests, 24 yo late bloomer with plenty of upside, strikes me as a budding Cam Mooney type with the right tutelage...Well worth a punt.

Not sure if you'd play them side by side very often but a Minson-Campbell duo up forward would certainly make opposition backs earn their kicks.
Sounds good, in a sense.

For me it's the cost as he's under contract. For those who have seen him regularly and in the flesh, what in your estimation is he worth?

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Something has got to give.

Lovett, Graham and Campbell.

Would require trading our 2nd, 3rd picks and Farren Ray. Meaning only Ayce f/s and 4 picks after pick 65....

Questions:

Will these three add anything?
Are they worth it?
Can they increase the teams success?
Are we close enough to a flag to trade away picks?
With GC17 coming in with heaps of early picks, is taking speccy past 65 a good long term idea?

Scorlibo
16-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Would rather Thorp . . .

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Would rather Thorp . . .
Me too.

Seems that only Higgins for Thorp would be likely after they re-signed Thorp this year.

Would you do it?

Scorlibo
16-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Would you do it?

I would. I love Missy but the price is right.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I would. I love Missy but the price is right.
What has Thorp got going for him. Apart from height and weight.

I haven't seen enough. I have seen what Missy has got going for him.

Scorlibo
17-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Thorp can play most positions on the ground, but CHF would probably be his best position, I saw his first and only game. He got 5 touches for 3 marks and 1 goal, but from that little bit of the footy I concluded that he could be the next J Brown. Drafted number 6 in the "superdraft".

Indeed Missy has proven what he can do at AFL level, I hope we keep him, but I also hope we get Thorp. Hawks seem pretty hellbent on Higgins is the thing.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Thorp can play most positions on the ground, but CHF would probably be his best position, I saw his first and only game. He got 5 touches for 3 marks and 1 goal, but from that little bit of the footy I concluded that he could be the next J Brown. Drafted number 6 in the "superdraft".

Indeed Missy has proven what he can do at AFL level, I hope we keep him, but I also hope we get Thorp. Hawks seem pretty hellbent on Higgins is the thing.
Assuming Missy is the price.

Two Scenarios:

Keep Higgins, get Campbell with a second or third rounder. Whats the overall value to the team.

Lose Higgins, Get Thorp and get a kid, Lovett or even Campbell as well. Whats the overall value to the team.

mjp
17-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Isn't Campbell out of contract?

Bulldogs_6
17-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Isn't Campbell out of contract?

1 year left on his contract apparently. Still don't think he's worth the punt Mike? How much would you give for him?

Rocket Science
17-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Would rather Thorp . . .

Agreed...I'd rather Thorp too in an ideal world, but he'd also cost substantially more than Campbell, and beyond our perennial need for a tall target and the fact the Hawks are supposedly stacked with key forwards, is there any suggestion the Hawks are even contemplating dealing Thorp?

With Jarrad Grant in the wings, but likely not ready to contribute for at least 12-24 months, I'd view Campbell as both a cheaper and more immediate option. While still a litttle raw, he appears capable of cracking our best 22 from round one next season.

If we could snag him for a 3rd rounder I'd bite, hook, line and sinker...One just hopes Freo doesn't conduct negotiations as if they've got us over a barrel because of the height issue.

LostDoggy
17-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Problem I see is collateral (ie: we have little).

Players I wouldn't trade (because they are young and developing or have little trade value) include: Boumann, Everitt, Grant, Hill, O'Keefe, O'Shea, Reid, Skipper, Stack, Tiller, Ward, Wood

Players I wouldn't trade (because they have established their credentials and we would most likely get less than their worth back) include: Addison, Akermanis, Boyd, Callan, Cooney, Cross, Giansiracusa, Gilbee, Griffen, Hahn, Harbrow, Hargrave, Higgins, Hudson, Johnson, Lake (Harris), Minson, Morris, Murphy, Welsh, Williams

Probable Delistings: Street, Lynch and McDougall (locked in)
Possible Retirements: West, Eagleton

Possible Trades: Wight, Ray

The way I see it is we have little bargaining power, if Ray goes it will be to WA (who don't need to spend anything to pick him up) and Wight offers little in terms of bargaining power.

The club will want to hold on to picks with the GC17 concessions in the following year and Sydney MK2 after that.

Trading a player like Higgins could really come back to bite us. Can't see us being too active really.