PDA

View Full Version : Opposition Player Profile Preliminary Final: Joel Corey

Go_Dogs
15-09-2008, 04:20 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/cats_images/2008%20Player%20Images/2008_JoelCorey_med.jpg
Joel Corey
Number: 11
Height: 190
Weight: 87
DOB: 17-02-1982
Debut: 2000

Who is he and what does he do?
Joel Corey is one of the more quiet achievers down at Geelong, not as flashy as Ablett, Steve Johnson, or Bartel, but still goes about his business racking up a lazy 30 touches every week. He's not really a goal kicking midfielder, more of an extractor, hard working link up man, and good defensive player (averages about 6 tackles a game). His efforts were good enough to earn him All Australian honors last year, and he's arguably been better this year.

He wins a lot of the ball in close, and I guess in that regard in similar to say West, Cross and Boyd in his style, although is a bit taller, and probably better by foot than the bunch I mentioned.

Corey is also the guy who seems to go up third man for Geelong at the clearance, so whoever is on him will need to be mindful of this on the weekend, as it could be tactic they employ at the stoppages around the ground, as Geelong really like to get the ball moving forwards.

So who plays on him?
It will be interesting see to who plays on Corey, and I get the feeling it could be one of Boyd or Cross who get the role. (The other going to Bartel).Either Boyd or Cross play with a similar style of Corey and seem to match up well on him (I can't for the life of me re-call who played on Corey last time), and should hopefully be able to make him work hard for his possessions and really negate his influence whilst doing their own thing. They'll have to be mindful of him running to space and creating an option, or getting a handball receive as he'll work all day to accumulate.

In conclusion, he's not one of the obvious game breakers that we have to worry about, but if we quell Corey's influence around the stoppages, it will go a long way to stopping Geelong from creating the drive they use so well. He's a pretty important piece of their midfield puzzle, and imo one of the Geelong players to put a bit of work into. Hopefully whoever it is, they can win, (or at least break even) in the battle.

Mofra
15-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Good points, for mine Cross looms as the perfect match-up for him: extractor, very good overhead, not a goal kicker, wins most of his ball in close, elite runner.

bornadog
15-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Good choice Griffen16, I didn't realize he was 190cm. Do you think Griffen might run with him or is that too negative?

Go_Dogs
15-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Good choice Griffen16, I didn't realize he was 190cm. Do you think Griffen might run with him or is that too negative?

I don't think Griffen will run with him at this stage, but I guess a lot of that depends on what Geelong do in regards to Griff. If Ling comes and sits on him, then perhaps putting Griff in a negating role could help free him up.

Personally I'd like to see Griffen go head to head with Ablett.

bornadog
15-09-2008, 06:14 PM

We have seen that before and would be great to see again.

Scorlibo
16-09-2008, 12:33 AM

Agree,

Griffen ----> Ablett
Cross -----> Corey
Cooney ---> Ling
Boyd ------> Bartel
Gia --------> Selwood

Wouldn't be surprised to see Timmy Callan spend extended stints in the middle as well, perhaps in a shutdown role on Bartel?

Mofra
16-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Callan go to Chapman, to free up Shaggy to play above his height again.

Mantis
16-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Timmy Callan spend extended stints in the middle as well, perhaps in a shutdown role on Bartel?

Could spend all night asking if he could be his date for the Brownlow again.

LostDoggy
16-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I expect our mids to play in a very similar way to last week.

We had Gia play a stopping role on Kirk, Cross and Boyd were fantastic and beat their opponents and Aker didn't give Buchannan a touch. If our players execute their defensive roles as they did last week, we are far closer than we think....

Go_Dogs
16-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Agree,

Griffen ----> Ablett
Cross -----> Corey
Cooney ---> Ling
Boyd ------> Bartel
Gia --------> Selwood

Pretty much spot on I think. Giansiracusa on Selwood looks a great match up.