PDA

View Full Version : Cooney- sick and sore knee

brilliantgriffen
15-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Oh no....

Bulldogs star Cooney nursing sore knee
September 15, 2008 - 8:01PM

Western Bulldogs star midfielder Adam Cooney has sent a scare through the AFL club ahead of Friday night's preliminary final against Geelong.

Cooney, one of the Bulldogs' most important players, missed training because of illness and a sore knee.

He was also a notable absentee from Monday night's All-Australian dinner, where he is in strong contention to make the team for the first time.

But Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia was confident that Cooney, one of the team's most important players, would be fit for Friday night's match.

"There's a combination. He has got a bit of a flu, which has kept him away from the club, and a bit of a sore knee as well," Fantasia said.

"He has got a double whammy.

"We don't see any problem whatsoever, but it's one of those things where you need to keep him away from people and keep him off his feet."

Fantasia said Cooney came down with the illness in the last 24 hours. But they expect him to return for Wednesday's training session.

"It still might be a lighter session for him on Wednesday, but we'll monitor that and see how he's progressing," Fantasia said.

© 2008 AAP
Brought to you by

LostDoggy
15-09-2008, 10:25 PM
The mind games have begun.

Get well Coon.

LostDoggy
15-09-2008, 10:35 PM
LOL Borgy,

Shouldnt that be 'get well soon, coon' :D

BulldogBelle
15-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Hope this is minor.

We need everyone up and firing of friday night.

Scorlibo
16-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Tactic to avoid him being heavily tagged from the get-go? Hope so.

Bulldogs_6
16-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Here's an idea, play him forward! :D
I'd say that Griff, Crossy and Boyd are enough insurance along with back up from Higgins and Aker. He's shown he can cause a fair bit of damage up there.

Scorlibo
16-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Here's an idea, play him forward! :D
I'd say that Griff, Crossy and Boyd are enough insurance along with back up from Higgins and Aker. He's shown he can cause a fair bit of damage up there.

He will probably go there at some point to try and shake a tag. Other than that, he is much more value in the middle.

Bulldogs_6
16-09-2008, 01:02 AM
He will probably go there at some point to try and shake a tag. Other than that, he is much more value in the middle.

Yes and no, if he finds it hard to shake off sickness and injury I'd prefer to have him up forward for a half.

LostDoggy
16-09-2008, 09:22 AM
I heard a bit of James Fantasia (sorry if i spelt it incorrectly) on SEN before I went through the loop. He said that he will be fine for Friday he has developed a bit of a bug and has been kept away from the group to stop him from spreading it. The knee soreness is nothing to worry about he said it is just one of those things than many players carry at this time of the year. I didn't hear anything else but static after that.

The Coon Dog
16-09-2008, 09:24 AM
I herd a bit of James Fantasia (sorry if i spelt it incorrectly)

That's OK muttley, but for next time it's heard! :)

LostDoggy
16-09-2008, 09:30 AM
All fixed up an I actually was apologising for Fantasia.

Mantis
16-09-2008, 09:33 AM
I heard a bit of James Fantasia (sorry if i spelt it incorrectly) on SEN before I went through the loop. He said that he will be fine for Friday he has developed a bit of a bug and has been kept away from the group to stop him from spreading it. The knee soreness is nothing to worry about he said it is just one of those things than many players carry at this time of the year. I didn't hear anything else but static after that.

I also heard the interview. Not much to add other than that Cooney has a head cold, but will train tomorrow. He has some tendonitis in his knee and the club weren't to keen on him standing for long periods at the AA awards anyway.

dog town
16-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Patella tendonitus is not overly serious although its a worry at his age. Its painful but can certainly be managed over the course of a season. He will be right I think.

LostDoggy
16-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Cooney will be fit for Friday: Morris
11:18 PM Mon 15 September, 2008

Dale Morris and Adam Cooney in full flight earlier this season

ALL-AUSTRALIAN defender Dale Morris believes teammate Adam Cooney will certainly overcome a virus in time for Friday night's preliminary final with Geelong.

Cooney was absent from Monday night's All-Australian awards in Melbourne owing to the illness, and has been banished from the club until he is over the worst.

Morris, who along with Cooney was named an All-Australian player for 2008 during the evening, said his teammate is sure to recover in time for Friday night's crucial clash with the Cats.

"He's just a bit sick, but I'm sure he would have loved to be there and go up on stage," Morris said.

"The team comes first so he's stayed home. He'll be fine. He'll be in bed, being looked after and he'll be right.

"We've only had recovery this week so far and he's been pretty sick and they didn't want it to get around the club, so they've really monitored him and kept a close eye on him.

"He'll be there Friday night. Definitely."
Football manager James Fantasia said Cooney is also battling a sore knee but is expected to return to training on Wednesday.

Footscray Bulldogs
16-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Patella tendonitus is not overly serious although its a worry at his age. Its painful but can certainly be managed over the course of a season. He will be right I think.

Probably not as big a concern (re: age) as it would appear.

If and when it does flare up during pre-season / next season, the performance guys are pretty good at reducing load & impact (Bikes > Swimming > Boxing as opposed to running).

I think you'll find a few guys that are struggling with tendinitis (overuse) type injuries at any club simply due to the length of preparation & season. I think this is compounded by the fact that Cooney not being genetically gifted in terms of his aerobic power, the intensity required at training to improve his aerobic power for the important midfield role would be quite strenuous.