PDA

View Full Version : Wayde Skipper - New contract

BulldogBelle
16-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Wayde Skipper has received a new contract from the Dogs and will remain at Whitten Oval next season & Street may not be so lucky...

Article... (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/midfielder-keen-to-leave-port/2008/09/15/1221330747367.html)

At Whitten Oval, ruckman Wayde Skipper's life on the fringe has been extended after playing only one game this year to bring his career tally to 45 in six seasons, with the Western Bulldogs giving the 25-year-old a new contract.

"He is a survivor, but when you are his size and have some ability and you are a competitor and you train as hard as he does, then that's what happens," Dogs football manager James Fantasia said.

"He has probably had his best year of footy but he has played only one game because we have two young developing ruckmen."

Peter Street, who is out of contract and also managed only one game this season, may struggle to retain his place on the list.

Sockeye Salmon
16-09-2008, 01:23 AM
I suppose one of Skipper or Street had to be kept in case Hudson or Minson went down.

That leaves:

Macdougall
Wight
Lynch
O'Shea
Street

BulldogBelle
16-09-2008, 01:30 AM
You can cross off McDougall from that list SS, he threw the towel in not long ago.

G-Mo77
16-09-2008, 02:17 AM
I suppose one of Skipper or Street had to be kept in case Hudson or Minson went down.

That leaves:

Macdougall
Wight
Lynch
O'Shea
Street

I would be pretty disappointed if they gave Wight the axe and I find it highly unlikely that they will considering our lack of depth with taller players.

I'm very happy with news about Skipper. Hopefully he can break into the One's next year! I thought he played quite well on Saturday.

FrediKanoute
16-09-2008, 08:40 AM
I would be pretty disappointed if they gave Wight the axe and I find it highly unlikely that they will considering our lack of depth with taller players.

I'm very happy with news about Skipper. Hopefully he can break into the One's next year! I thought he played quite well on Saturday.

I think he's gone. If he was considered part of the plans he would have eben brought back when Williams went down. He hasn't, so it begs the question what is he doing on the list other than just adding to the average height stat?

Mantis
16-09-2008, 08:43 AM
You can cross off McDougall from that list SS, he threw the towel in not long ago.

I think SS was hinting at the player's who will be (have been) delisted with that list.

LostDoggy
16-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Will Stack remain? Hasn't exactly set the world alight.

Mantis
16-09-2008, 09:19 AM

He showed some good form early in the season and if we weren't travelling as well he would have played some senior footy. He has been hit by injuries over the past 8 weeks or so, but on his early season form is definitely worth persevering with.

LostDoggy
16-09-2008, 09:27 AM

That leaves:

Macdougall
Wight
Lynch
O'Shea
Street

Lynch has had a bad run with injuries this year and the club still rate him according to Leon at a bulldogs footy show a few weeks ago. O'shea is still young as well as Lynch worth while holding on to. Wight I'm not too sure about. A name missing is Faz if all reports are correct I'm guessing he will be offered for a trade to prevent us from loosing out completely.

Mofra
16-09-2008, 10:20 AM

That leaves:

Macdougall
Wight
Lynch
O'Shea
Street
Was 6 or 7 the magic number? If so, Ray & West may sadly may not be on our list either next year. Wight stiff however we deliberately have been going into games undersized since the break so poor Cam may be on the outer.

G-Mo77
16-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I think he's gone. If he was considered part of the plans he would have eben brought back when Williams went down. He hasn't, so it begs the question what is he doing on the list other than just adding to the average height stat?

Did he have something wrong with his jaw when Williams went down for the last time?

I think he'll be there in 2009.

soupman
16-09-2008, 10:32 AM

I believe he was about to make his debut when Street broke his hand.

I think West might be told to retire, much like Grant was. Regardless of whether or not we keep Ray, we still don't want to clog up the midfield (and list) with too many old midfielders, holding back the likes of Reid, Ward and O'Keefe. Unfortunately West is a problem in that he's too similiar to Boyd and Cross, and his injuries look like it won't be a comfortable year for him should he play on.

I agree Wight may be told to move on, especially if we're starting to lock in our back up key forwards (Grant, Skipper and potentially Boumann), as well as our key defenders (Everitt, Williams, O'Shea and Tiller). I don't necessarily think it would be a good decision though, but it may be the right one because he isn't a player I can ever imagine commanding a regular spot.

Lynch while injured for much of this year was highly rated at the club last year, and we tend to be patient instead of ruthless and will probably give him another year, likewise with O'Shea.

McDougalls gone already, as is Street, so thats 4 players leaving with a question mark over Ray.

Regarding the rookie list when does it get moved up to 6 compulsory spots? Because I thought they were doing that to help compensate for the compromised drafts. If so we'll have 3, maybe 4 (depending on Shaw, the other two should be safe) new rookies next season.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 10:53 AM
For me at least, i'd like us to seriouslt go after some kids. The draft is rumoured to be deep, and by the time GC17 get there 1,000,000,000,000,000 draft picks, we may be left holding onto ringe players we should have cut loose.

Cut Street, Doogs, Wight, Lynch and O'Shea - Potentially looking at rooking the last two if there is a glimmer of hope.

West still remains unclear.

We need some trade bait, so peraps Ray as well.

I'd like 6 picks including the f/s selection.

I'm shocked shocked Skipper has survived, but honestly lets just say he's depth. If Minson and Hudson have similar, years he'll be essentially a Willi listed player.

LostDoggy
16-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Wayde Skipper given a new contract ............... you have to be joking!

LostDoggy
16-09-2008, 12:15 PM
He has been playing pretty well do at Willi. Could be the KFP we are looking for.

GO SKIPPER!!!!!!!!

Go_Dogs
16-09-2008, 12:24 PM
He has been playing pretty well do at Willi. Could be the KFP we are looking for.

GO SKIPPER!!!!!!!!

My guess is he may be given a solid chance to prove himself there this pre-season. He's got the body to crash packs and can take a contested grab (albeit they have been rare, but confidence is a wonderful thing). I guess at this stage he is just ruck depth, so will be interesting to see what happens with him.

Speculating even further, could another side be sniffing around?

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 01:02 PM
My guess is he may be given a solid chance to prove himself there this pre-season. He's got the body to crash packs and can take a contested grab (albeit they have been rare, but confidence is a wonderful thing). I guess at this stage he is just ruck depth, so will be interesting to see what happens with him.

I was thinking that when i read this thread. I can only hope so.

Mantis
16-09-2008, 01:06 PM

To trade with or to keep him from going to?

Wouldn't be the first time someone of his ilk would have been re-signed only to be traded a short time after.

bornadog
16-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Good luck to Skipper, hope he works out.

He will have to do something next year as the young guns (Grant, Boumann) will be breathing down his neck in the next few years.

I was impressed to see Skipper down at Geelong this year supporting the boys.

Bulldog Revolution
16-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Skipper has missed the last two pre-seasons completely if I am not mistaken, and so its probably been an uphill battle with fitness

He missed a reasonable chunk this year with his knee injury, and adding that to the running he missed pre-season (with a broken foot) I think its probably limited the opportunities he's got at AFL level this year, but he's still been pretty good at VFL level.

Having a viable backup third option will only help us manage Hudsons work load next year

gohardorgohome
16-09-2008, 03:29 PM
A very handy insurance policy in my opinion.

Sockeye Salmon
16-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Was 6 or 7 the magic number? If so, Ray & West may sadly may not be on our list either next year. Wight stiff however we deliberately have been going into games undersized since the break so poor Cam may be on the outer.

I didn't include Ray assuming he would be a straight swap for Graham.

Whether or not West goes on doesn't matter regarding list numbers because he is on the veterans list anyway so already doesn't count.

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I can only believe another club wants him.

GVGjr
16-09-2008, 06:51 PM

I was listening to SEN very early this morning and they indicated that there was some interest in him by another team.

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I was listening to SEN very early this morning and they indicated that there was some interest in him by another team.

Phew.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Would love to kno who???????

Surely can't be us.

GVGjr
16-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Would love to kno who???????

Surely can't be us.

They didn't say which club but I got the impression there was another. I never heard anything else mentioned.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 07:17 PM
They didn't say which club but I got the impression there was another. I never heard anything else mentioned.
Was it North Ballarat?

Bumper Bulldogs
16-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Skipper is a good keep and I'm sure he'll have some luck come his way. He always gives us something and if we loose a ruck he would be first in IMO.

Would like to see Wight kept as he has a huge up side if they get 4-5 kilos onto him this pre-season.

bold-dogg
16-09-2008, 10:10 PM
McDougall gone, and Wight, I think, will be delisted, we had to keep one of Street or Skipper as back-up ruck.
Ideally, a 4th ruckman on the list too, which we might go for in what should be a good pre-season draft (a greater than usual cleanout by all clubs due to G. Goast).
But how do the Dogs do a big cleanout when we've got such a strong young list?
O'Shea to the rookie draft frees up 4 draft spots.
Scott West, seven B&F's, how quickly we forget how good this bloke is. A fit Westy next year would give the Brownlow a shake.
Listening to the talk, Ray is trade. And talk to of going after a key forward, aren't we always. Ray and a KPF might be connected. I'd keep Ray if we could, though.
Lynch and Stack won't be dropped, they've hardly had a go yet.
Would love to have a 5th draft pick and a pre-season pick, but that would involve one or two very tough decisions.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2008, 10:20 PM
McDougall gone, and Wight, I think, will be delisted, we had to keep one of Street or Skipper as back-up ruck.
Ideally, a 4th ruckman on the list too, which we might go for in what should be a good pre-season draft (a greater than usual cleanout by all clubs due to G. Goast).
But how do the Dogs do a big cleanout when we've got such a strong young list?
O'Shea to the rookie draft frees up 4 draft spots.
Scott West, seven B&F's, how quickly we forget how good this bloke is. A fit Westy next year would give the Brownlow a shake.
Listening to the talk, Ray is trade. And talk to of going after a key forward, aren't we always. Ray and a KPF might be connected. I'd keep Ray if we could, though.
Lynch and Stack won't be dropped, they've hardly had a go yet.
Would love to have a 5th draft pick and a pre-season pick, but that would involve one or two very tough decisions.
I'd just about put the house on Lynch going...

Rocket Science
16-09-2008, 10:46 PM

I can't believe another club wants him.

westdog54
16-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Skipper is a good keep and I'm sure he'll have some luck come his way. He always gives us something and if we loose a ruck he would be first in IMO.

Would like to see Wight kept as he has a huge up side if they get 4-5 kilos onto him this pre-season.

We've been trying to get weight onto Cam for years with mixed success. Don't know how much more we can put onto him.

As with Street I think his non-selection in recent weeks has seen his card well and truly marked.

If we can get a low pick out of him in trade week I'll take it.

Dancin' Douggy
17-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I can't believe another club wants him.

Let me rephrase that. I can only HOPE another club wants him.

strebla
17-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I will be mightily displeased if Skipper is on the list next year and Cam is not .There is a huge upside to Wight and Skipper has run his race

The Coon Dog
17-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I will be mightily displeased if Skipper is on the list next year and Cam is not .There is a huge upside to Wight and Skipper has run his race

The difference is that Skip can play as a 'back up' ruckman, Cam can't.

Doubt Street will be on the list in 2009.

strebla
17-09-2008, 01:14 PM
The difference is that Skip can play as a 'back up' ruckman, Cam can't.

Doubt Street will be on the list in 2009.

I disagree on that Coon Dog I think as a back up ruckman who is much more mobile to skipper Cam could do well i tend to think he he far more versatile as he can play at either end aswell

Mofra
17-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I disagree on that Coon Dog I think as a back up ruckman who is much more mobile to skipper Cam could do well i tend to think he he far more versatile as he can play at either end aswell
Cam broke last time he tried to play ruck at senior level. Skip didn't.
Cam was tried at CHF during the pre-season, with limited success. Skip regularly plays forward at VFL level & has kicked a bag of 5 at AFL level.
Cam has Skip covered as a defender, however he hasn't been sighted since the break even with the injury to Williams and the tall forward opponents in Hawthorn & Geelong.

strebla
17-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Cam is still only 23 two years younger than Skipper and nearly 3 inches taller is much faster and has better ball skills.
Skipper has been on the periphery for 7 years and will never make the grade I know he is one of my favorites but believe he is ahead of skipper in all facets of the game exepts for bulk

westdog54
17-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Cam is still only 23 two years younger than Skipper and nearly 3 inches taller is much faster and has better ball skills.
Skipper has been on the periphery for 7 years and will never make the grade I know he is one of my favorites but believe he is ahead of skipper in all facets of the game exepts for bulk

You're right, in that Cam is two years younger, faster and 3 inches taller.

As for the rest, you're not even in the ball park.

Wight has better ball skills? Skipper can roost 55m goals and hold a contested mark. Wight can do neither.

Skipper has had injury concerns all year and was rewarded for his perserverance with a game against Adelaide. Probably would have played during the season if he was fit. All of this off virtually no preseason. Wight has been fit all year and can't get a game in a side that's screaming for an extra tall option.

Wight can play at either end? Please. He's a backman, who can move onto the wing at a pinch. He's no forward.

As for Wight being a better back-up ruckman because he's mobile, Daniel Bandy was mobile but he was F@#$ing hopeless at every other facet of the game. If you think Wight is a superior ruckman to Skipper then why didn't he play against Adelaide? Probably has something to do with the fact that Skipper's got him well beat in the ruck stakes.

strebla
17-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Skipper was so good against Adelaide wasn't he maybe the club were putting him on show for trade bait that is the only reason I would play him

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Skipper was so good against Adelaide wasn't he maybe the club were putting him on show for trade bait that is the only reason I would play him

The guts of it is Skipper will be on our list next year and Street and Wight will not.