PDA

View Full Version : Would you do it?

bulldogtragic
17-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes or No.

LostDoggy
17-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Higgins is a big part of our future, an ideal replacement for Johno when he retires. I also think he has leadership qualities.

westdog54
17-09-2008, 12:26 AM
I might be tempted...

Bulldogs_6
17-09-2008, 01:13 AM
God I wish there was a both option :(

Rocket Science
17-09-2008, 01:21 AM
I voted 'no', but it's more of a 'not quite'...Thorp looks like he might be just what the doc ordered for us, but has demonstrated nothing approaching Higgins' capabilities at the top level thus far.

Realistically or not, I'd be wanting the Hawks to kick in a little something extra.

LostDoggy
17-09-2008, 10:08 AM
No for me

Bulldog Revolution
17-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Thorp hasn't shown he is a senior player

Admittedly bigs cost more, but I would have thought Higgins is a price too high

Cyberdoggie
17-09-2008, 12:00 PM
with Dowler, Thorpe and all the other wunderkinds Hawthorn have down there at Box Hill you would think that they would be doing a little better than 3rd last in the VFL. The above mentioned haven't shown anything to suggest they will make it in the AFL.

Bulldog4life
17-09-2008, 12:08 PM
with Dowler, Thorpe and all the other wunderkinds Hawthorn have down there at Box Hill you would think that they would be doing a little better than 3rd last in the VFL. The above mentioned haven't shown anything to suggest they will make it in the AFL.

Couldn't have said it any better. You don't trade kids with the calibre of Higgins either. One minute he is talked about as potential captain material then the next breath we are asking should we unload him for another kid who hasn't made it yet. :rolleyes:

DOG GOD
17-09-2008, 12:16 PM
No way.

The Coon Dog
17-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Bit hard for me to say yes when I have never seen Thorpe play.

I'm not oppossed to the concept of trading a quality mid if it means we aquire a KPP by the way.

Mofra
17-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Thorpe isn't playing regular senior football.

We can't say yes to trading a definite best 22 player for a "maybe".

Mantis
17-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I haven't seen much of Thorp, but he does look a likely type. He has only been on Hawthorn's list for a couple of years so it's hard to judge him yet.

It is also pretty hard to crack a spot in Hawthorn's forwardline as he has a couple of handy type's keeping him out. I also think, quite rightly, that Hawthorn only need 2 talls + a mix of mids/ smalls in their forwrdline so there isn't really a need to play Boyle, Dowler or Thorp.

I'm not completely sold on Higgins yet, he still has a long way to go, but with another couple of pre-season's he could become a very good player.

Personally I would say yes, as long as Thorp would be capable of playing a significant role in our team next year and for the next 10.

Throughandthrough
17-09-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't even know who Thorp(e?) is!

BulldogBelle
17-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Ian Thorpe!

;-)

Dry Rot
17-09-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/02/28/billy_thorpe_20_wideweb__470x401,0.jpg

bornadog
17-09-2008, 03:45 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/02/28/billy_thorpe_20_wideweb__470x401,0.jpg

Thats his grandfather:D

Bulldog Revolution
17-09-2008, 04:20 PM
I haven't seen much of Thorp, but he does look a likely type. He has only been on Hawthorn's list for a couple of years so it's hard to judge him yet.

It is also pretty hard to crack a spot in Hawthorn's forwardline as he has a couple of handy type's keeping him out. I also think, quite rightly, that Hawthorn only need 2 talls + a mix of mids/ smalls in their forwrdline so there isn't really a need to play Boyle, Dowler or Thorp.

Personally I would say yes, as long as Thorp would be capable of playing a significant role in our team next year and for the next 10.

Thorp definitely looked a likely type last year, was very impressive in the VFL, but seems to have had a case of the second year blues.

I dont think we could really know for sure whether he would be a full-time senior player with us next year. It's likely to me that he'd be a development player albeit ahead of Grant, Boumann, Mulligan etc.

That said, Hawthorn definitely dont need him, but they are the Jon Hay rip-off merchants, and he'll have to be out of contract and determined to go. Would Hawthorn trade him to another potential premiership challenger?

If Higgins can ever remain injury free I think he will address his weaknesses, but I'm not exactly sure where he will play full time. Perhaps Gia's or Aker's role is the most likely

dogman
17-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Higgins has shown enough to say he will be a 200 game player for us. He has a bit of agro about him which we need and the Hawks want too.

The only time I would be trading Higgins to the Hawks would be for Roughead. Say higgins and second round pick for Roughead. This will only happen if Roughead gets sick of playing second fiddel with Franklin and wants to be the number one man.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-09-2008, 08:43 PM
No I'm still getting over that Dud Rawlings:p

osakabulldog
17-09-2008, 10:04 PM
absolutely not

Happy Days
17-09-2008, 10:22 PM
No I'm still getting over that Dud Rawlings:p

Luckily that pick we "traded" for him only amounted to Kepler Bradley.

Shiggins is far too good a player to be traded away for just potential. Thorpe is an appealing proposition, but we can't give away too much for him as we have no idea how he can perform at the top level.