PDA

View Full Version : 2008 TAC Team of the Year

GVGjr
17-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I thought a few people might be interested in this.

Backs:
Zach Sengstock -- Tom Gillies -- Andrew Hooper
Sandringham Dragons Dandenong Stingrays North Ballarat Rebels

Half Backs:
Tom Simpkin -- Michael Hurley -- Kade Klemke
Geelong Falcons Northern Knights Murray Bushrangers

Cent:
David Zaharakis -- Mitchell Banner -- Koby Stevens
Northern Knights Western Jets Gippsland Power

Half Forwards:
Rory Sloane -- Jack Ziebel -- Thomas Rockliff
Eastern Ranges Murray Bushrangers Murray Bushrangers

Forwards:
Xavier Gotch -- Aaron Purves -- Tyrone Vickery
Oakleigh Chargers Dandenong Stingrays Sandringham Dragons

Rucks:
Jordan Roughead -- Luke Shuey -- Jarryd Blair
North Ballarat Rebels Oakleigh Chargers Gippsland Power

INT:
Jordan Gysberts -- Kallen Geary
Eastern Ranges Bendigo Pioneers

Andy Duhau -- Nick Suban
Calder Cannons North Ballarat Rebels

ledge
17-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Is this an official team or you put it together?

GVGjr
17-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Is this an official team or you put it together?

Official team

The coaches award went to Rory Sloane

TAC Team of the Year member and Eastern Ranges captain Rory Sloane has capped a magnificent year by taking home the 2008 TAC Coaches Award.

Sloane, a versatile half-forward and midfielder, won with 30 votes ahead of North Ballarat Rebels defender Andrew Hooper on 27 votes.

Sloane's coach Shane Watson heaped praise on his charge when he delivered a snapshot of his excellent year.

“His first few games before the national carnival was on, I’d say he was more a solid player Sloaney than anything else before he got himself in the Vic Metro squad," Watson reflected.

“With us he played midfield and forward and David Dickson thought he’d be pretty useful down back.

“Over the carnival he was one of the better players for Vic Metro playing on some really big names from WA and the like.

“When he got back from the carnival, he had a spring in his step and I guess the reason why I voted for Sloaney so much, was his ability to have an impact on a game – whether it be his leadership or the way he went about it in and under, going forward kicking goals. He leads both on and off the field and set’s a great example for everybody else.”

Last year Matthew Kreuzer took home the TAC Coaches Award, one that serves as a point of difference but no less distinguished to the Morrish medal.

“It’s a very prestigious award, it’s one that’s highly regarded,” Vic Country coach Robert Hyde said.

“This comes from the people that give specific tasks and jobs to players and value them as members of the team.”

Sloane was indeed chuffed and said he enjoyed greatly his time at Eastern.

“Thank you to all the coaches. It’s been a great year and over my three years it’s been a really enjoyable time," Sloane said.

"Shane Watson as coach… and Ian Flack, region manager they have really helped me."

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Ziebel at CHF? He played midfield at the champs.
Suban could only sneak in on the bench? He's rated top 10 by plenty on the other site.

dog town
18-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Its good recognition for the players actual form over the course of the year as opposed to there draft prospects. Someone like Hooper probably wont be drafted but its good for him to get that recognition of having a superb year.

Slightly OT but has anyone got an opinion on the young defender Michael Hurley? Seems a little overrated from my limited viewing. One of those types that is a good solid defender as a junior but will struggle to make the transition. I have seen so many of those highly rated junior defenders turn out as wasted draft picks.

GVGjr
18-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Its good recognition for the players actual form over the course of the year as opposed to there draft prospects. Someone like Hooper probably wont be drafted but its good for him to get that recognition of having a superb year.

Slightly OT but has anyone got an opinion on the young defender Michael Hurley? Seems a little overrated from my limited viewing. One of those types that is a good solid defender as a junior but will struggle to make the transition. I have seen so many of those highly rated junior defenders turn out as wasted draft picks.

Very good defender with the ability to potentially play forward. Most mock drafts I have seen have listed him going early but he could very well be someone who slides down the order.
Most Tigers, Bombers and Blues fans rate him very high because they think he is the logical fit for their sides but it doesn't always work like that. I'd like to see how he tests at the draft camp.

Happy Days
18-09-2008, 05:27 PM
From what I saw of Hurley at the carnival, I cant see him going any lower than top 5. He was probably the 4th most impressive, behind the usual suspects. Looked like he could play senior footy in the coming season.

hujsh
19-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Good on Banner. Would be a great get with a second round pick (if we were lucky) from what I've heard