PDA

View Full Version : Rocket: There are 5 players at Williamstown i want playing seniors next year.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Who are they?

What will they bring to improve our performance and finish this year?

Who will need to make way for them?

Topdog
20-09-2008, 12:11 PM
When did he say this? Link?

Anyway the 5 would be (IMO)

Ward, Reid, Grant, O'Keefe, Addison

soupman
20-09-2008, 12:25 PM
I have several players I would expect to get a run next year:

Addison (definite), Ward (Very likely), Stack (Was very close this year), Skipper (Long option up forward?), Reid (Strong body), Grant (A couple of games in Welsh's role), O'Keefe (Played well early this year, if he can keep going like that he'll get a run)

ledge
20-09-2008, 12:31 PM
If those are the five , why keep Skipper and Stack?
I wouldnt include Addison, think he is more talking young players with no games or just a couple.
So my 5 would be same but Stack for Addison as Addison was only injury, wasnt a question of being good enough.
Ward probably a shoe in for 22 games next year.
Question is what 5 ar going?
West? Well he wasnt part of side anyway in the end.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2008, 12:33 PM
When did he say this? Link?

693 press conference broadcast after the game.

Mofra
20-09-2008, 12:55 PM

Substitute O'Keefe for Everitt and that'd be my list, assuming he has excluded Williams as well.

bornadog
20-09-2008, 01:17 PM
five players that weren't there last night, but I expect to get regular games:
Williams, Everitt, Addison, Ward, Grant.

Five players that should make their debut and at least play a few games

Reid (counted as only had one game), OKeefe, Wood, Stack, Boumann

Players that will get a game to cover injuries:

Skipper

SonofScray
20-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Everitt, Williams, Ward, Grant and O'Keefe I think would be handy additions to the team.

If at least one of Williams or Everitt has a breakout season and we get service from the others at the level you'd expect them to be at after another preseason we'll be a much more flexible outfit.

Topdog
20-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Don't know how I forgot about Spider Jnr

Dry Rot
20-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Rocket's comment does then beg the question which 5 players from last night won't be playing....

The Pie Man
20-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Rocket's comment does then beg the question which 5 players from last night won't be playing....

Eagleton's the only obvious one - Johsnon & Akermanis are the two oldest, was interesting to hear Mark Robinson on SEN earlier today suggest (well he asked the question) that perhaps one of those guys shouldn't be there next year (he kept saying it's a 'young mans game')

Ray's playing today, but is another obvious 'senior' player in trouble (and probably wants to leave) Cal Ward is a stand out at VFL level isn't he? He should make a real impact at senior level in 09

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Eagleton is the first one.

Friend mentioned last week Welsh should have been dropped. He was right but there are no ready replacements. On last night performance he comes into question.
The pressure is on for him and guys like Harbrow, Higgins, Tiller, and Callan.

The main issue is we need at least 1 marking tall forward if Welsh isn't getting it and Minson is dragged into the ruck cos Hudson isn't right.

strebla
20-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Spot on Ernie we kept bombing the ball forward and had on smalls to contest we NEED a tall hopefully Grant is that man next year

Dry Rot
25-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I suppose these comments are more relevant after axing Westy, and may become more relevant over the next two weeks.

LostDoggy
26-09-2008, 11:45 AM
IMO, I think Hahn will be replaced in the forward line, with the forward line pressure coming from Harbrow and Ward.
Eagleton will miss out on regular opportunity, bring Gilbee onto the wing as a ball carrier especially with his exceptional kicking ability, that opens up for Everitt/O'Keefe to play on the back flank.
Welsh's position should be replaced with game time for Grant / Stack, kind of play them as a third tier forward such as Port did with the skinny Westoff.

Therefore: To come in Ward, Everitt, O'Keefe, Grant, and Stack.
To go out: Obviously West and Ray, then Hahn, Eagleton and Welsh

Dancin' Douggy
26-09-2008, 12:31 PM
IMO, I think Hahn will be replaced in the forward line, with the forward line pressure coming from Harbrow and Ward.
Eagleton will miss out on regular opportunity, bring Gilbee onto the wing as a ball carrier especially with his exceptional kicking ability, that opens up for Everitt/O'Keefe to play on the back flank.
Welsh's position should be replaced with game time for Grant / Stack, kind of play them as a third tier forward such as Port did with the skinny Westoff.

I agree generally with this but Hahn would still be getting a game even if he's replaced as a forward.

Mantis
26-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Do you even know what sort of player Stack is?

Dry Rot
26-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Do you even know what sort of player Stack is?

How is he coming along?

LostDoggy
26-09-2008, 12:52 PM
My impression of Stack is that he is a leading forward? Is that wrong?

Desipura
26-09-2008, 01:18 PM

Totally wrong. At the moment he is playing a sweeping role accross half back with the odd stint on a wing.
Hahns toughness is critical in our side, wont be going anywhere near Willi providing he is fit.

bornadog
26-09-2008, 02:28 PM

He prefers to play on the HFF, but has been playing in the backline at Willi.

GVGjr
26-09-2008, 02:44 PM

Yes and no. He played a lot across have back as Desipura mentioned but he does see himself more as a half forward flanker as he told Bornadog and myself.

The Coon Dog
26-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Yes and no. He played a lot across have back as Desipura mentioned but he does see himself more as a half forward flanker as he told Bornadog and myself.

Rocket sse him ultimately as a power forward leading from the square.

Sockeye Salmon
26-09-2008, 02:52 PM

??? He's 5 feet tall?

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 03:06 PM
WTF?

Go_Dogs
26-09-2008, 03:07 PM
??? He's 5 feet tall?

Shaun Burgoyne and a lot of good 'small' players have done very well playing that role. Mark Williams etc.

He's obviously not a tall key forward, but no reason why he can't still be a marking forward. I'd say Johnno is a marking forward, he's even shorter.

bornadog
26-09-2008, 03:38 PM
??? He's 5 feet tall?

He is about the same height as Hill, but has a better leap, yes you read right, a better leap.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 03:42 PM
I have always highly rated Stack. I really like the kid, so many good things going for him if he can put them al together and play consistent footy.

But in all my adoration for him, i dont think i could ever call him a power forward. Perhaps a very creative forward flanker that could cause headaches, but never a power forward.

I really hope he gets some serious game time next year.

bornadog
26-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I have always highly rated Stack. I really like the kid, so many good things going for him if he can put them al together and play consistent footy.

But in all my adoration for him, i dont think i could ever call him a power forward. Perhaps a very creative forward flanker that could cause headaches, but never a power forward.

I really hope he gets some serious game time next year.

Unless TCD means a Power (port Adelaide) forward:D

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Unless TCD means a Power (port Adelaide) forward:D
:) Right you are BaD... My mistake. An indigenious 5 foot tall player.

Sockeye Salmon
26-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Could Matthew Robbins ever be described as a 'power forward'?

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Could Matthew Robbins ever be described as a 'power forward'?
Power Forward-Pocket

LostDoggy
26-09-2008, 04:01 PM
As been mentioned on a few threads, and as sad as it is, Johnson, Aker, and Welsh will exit over the next couple, need to put game time into both medium and KP forwards. Given that were going for a tilt next year, who do you think should drop out of the forward line to develop the younger ones?

bornadog
26-09-2008, 04:04 PM
As been mentioned on a few threads, and as sad as it is, Johnson, Aker, and Welsh will exit over the next couple, need to put game time into both medium and KP forwards. Given that were going for a tilt next year, who do you think should drop out of the forward line to develop the younger ones?

Welsh is going to have to prove himself next year in the first few games or he should be dropped. He has had a poor last 6 games, except for the Swans match in ACT.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Hypothetically if Eagle was moved on with Ray and West,

That's about 40 games fron 2008.

That means Hill gets most of the year again, Harbrow gets an extra 10 games, and that leaves 30 game plus injuries of say 20 games (50 in toal) to spend on Reid, Ward, Grant and Co.

If the five Rockets talk about get 10+ games next year, we will be in a much improved position for 2009 and 2010 when Aker and Welsh are gone.

hujsh
26-09-2008, 04:44 PM

Well if he's our new 'power' forward no wonder we're so short up front.

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Hahns toughness is critical in our side, wont be going anywhere near Willi providing he is fit.

Hahn just signed a three year deal also, so he would appear to be very much in the clubs planning

It would be nice if Mitch managed to have a summer minus off season surgery, and could build some more momentum in the lead up to 09

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I think Hahn was the most important player to us this year. We need to keep him fit and hungry.

GVGjr
26-09-2008, 10:20 PM
??? He's 5 feet tall?

I think he is still growing. He was drafted at about 184cm or a bit taller and told Bornadog and I that he was about 188cm. Still way too short ot be a power forward but he has a huge leap.

hujsh
26-09-2008, 11:57 PM
I think he is still growing. He was drafted at about 184cm or a bit taller and told Bornadog and I that he was about 188cm. Still way too short ot be a power forward but he has a huge leap.

That's not a bad height with a large leap. Might be a Burtonish player?