PDA

View Full Version : Love for the coaching staff

The Pie Man
20-09-2008, 02:05 PM
I thought this week that everything I heard from the coaching group was on the money this week, and more importantly, they got all the matchups right (well the jury maybe out on Aka/Ablett but it was going ok early)

I was really impressed with Leon Cameron's presser earlier in the week, was very firm and confident that we did indeed have heaps to lose last night, and that the Cats also had a huge hurdle getting over us (which we proved gallantly) My perception from a fan outside of the industry is that he is a senior coach in waiting.

Eade also made all the right noises this week - as opposed to some questionable...or maybe honest is the more accurate term - comments in the media after the Sydney game about the month of dead rubbers leading up to the finals.

But my main reason for this thread is the matchups last night

Lake on Lonergan - in my view, this nearly got us to a GF, Lonergan was horrible and Lake provided the drive and run out of the back half that suggests he's not just a FB.

Morris on Mooney - also worked really well, mainly in freeing Lake to towel Lonergan up, but also to keep with Mooney on the lead and spoil effectively one on one.

Hargrave on Johnson - another good decision, only 2 soft goals - if only he had nailed his set shot in the 3rd to really hurt Johnson/Cats going the other way

I wonder who Williams would have played on if he was fit - he certainly would have been handy, especially when Ottens went forward. He could have also drifted forward. Minson to be a resting forward ideally would be the No. 1 ruck, and he's not. I hope Ayce Cordy can play senior footy in 09 (big call I know - bigs generally need more time to develop)

I'm drifting from the point - well done to the coaching staff, gave us the template to challenge, it was just the skills and some bizarre umpiring that got in the way of the end goal.

macca
20-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Ablett was ineffective last night. Aker on him was good. Harbrow on Milbourn, honours go to Harbrow.

hujsh
20-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Ablett was ineffective last night. Aker on him was good. Harbrow on Milbourn, honours go to Harbrow.

Higgins on Milburn was awesome too.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Eade had a blinder last night.

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Higgins on Milburn was awesome too.

I doubt that was the Bulldogs call. Defensive matchup not forward matchup.

The Pie Man
21-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I had a feeling Higgins would play well - there's no way we should trade him