PDA

View Full Version : Your season highlight?

The Coon Dog
21-09-2008, 03:33 AM
What gave you the greatest thrill this season?

For me it goes all the way back to round 1. Johnno's 300th v Adelaide when he kicked 3 goals in the final 5 minutes to get us over the line & kick start our season.

I also loved Callan Ward's first AFL goal in his debut game v St.Kilda. His team mates ran from everywhere.

MrMahatma
21-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Ward, Hill, Harbrow and Higgins, Cooney, Griffen, Williams.

All showed that they're going to take the next step next season - whether that's from fringe player to regular contributor, or from regular to star, or from star to superstar.

Can't remember a season ever before with such improvement from players.

bulldog
21-09-2008, 09:53 AM
mine was johnno in round1 the first stkilda game
tommy williams showing us what he can do
the sydney final when everyone wrote us off
go the dogs i can't wait tillnext year

gohardorgohome
21-09-2008, 02:19 PM
I loved Harbrow taking on Scarlett and winning!!!

craigsahibee
21-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Beating some of our bogey sides. Saints (x2) and Swans (x3) was pretty special.

Lake's mark against the Tigers and subsequent hammy issue was pretty good.

But, having considered all of what's transpired over the year my weekend in Launceston at the end of May was probably the number 1 highlight for the year.

Scraggers
21-09-2008, 02:45 PM
The comebacks ... how many times this year did we comeback rom multiple goals down to snatch victory

The four that spring to mind straight away are versus Adelaide Round 1, versus Sydney Round 7, versus Fremantle Round 8, and versus Essendon Round 4.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Richond draw.

Felt like a grand final win.

I was surrounded by Richmond loud and foul mouther d***heads giving it to a few dggies people.

When the siren went they looked completely heartbroken and were punching the chairs.

Doggies people were high fiving and smiling.

Dancin' Douggy
21-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Josh Hill.
I just hope he doesn't fade away.

The Pie Man
21-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Adelaide round 1, was a great day. Johnson's 300th, his heroics, and seeing Josh Hill emerge with some nice overhead grabs in the forward line. Special thanks to Nathan Bock for missing and not ruining everything.

Last quarter vs Fremantle was really funny - really funny

Win vs Brisbane was the most convincing against a side most thought was in top 4 form. Aka's dribbling goal from the 50 was brilliant.

Williams on Buddy in Tassie was also very pleasing, Hawthorn well down that day though.

Round 3 vs St Kilda helped set up the year.

hujsh
21-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Hawks game. Gave me hope. Gave us Williams

Happy Days
21-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Cooney in Sydney...that was special.

cinder
22-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Yup I loved beating Hawthorn at Aurora.
But Johnno's 300th probably takes the cake. I even bought that game on DVD!

LostDoggy
22-09-2008, 11:21 AM
I'll go with the majority..

Couldnt of asked for a better opening game than Johnno's 300th..what an emotional rollercoaster for the first round, i remember saying 'Hope we dont have to go through that again'.

Travelling up to Darwin was fantastic, ill be doing that again next year..great place to watch footy. Also enjoyed a day in Canberra..good to see both wins there.

Player wise i love the seasons end for the 3 H's. Hill, Higgins And Harbrow..great finishes.

Been very happy with Hudson & Welsh (even if he goes missing every 2nd game)..

Favourite on field moment is a tie betwen two

Matthew Boyd the brick wall tackling Dale Thomas..BAM! I got so excited it frustrated Collingwood fans :)

Also against West Coast, not the fact we beat them by 15 goals..but the fact that Adam Cooney contested a ruck contest from the middle and won it! Against Dean Cox mind you. My face was like :eek: what the hell is he doing!

All in all, a very impressive season to come from 12th to make it to the prelims

Rocket Science
22-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Seeing convincing away wins in person versus quality outfits at the SCG and Aurora stadium.

Oh, and Richmond finishing 9th.

Sedat
22-09-2008, 12:42 PM
The 2nd qtr against Sydney at the SCG. From the perspective of solidifying the belief in our 2008 group to be able to mix it with the hard contested ball-winning teams. Clearances, hard-ball gets, tackling pressure, conversion, just a fantastic qtr of football by the side, particularly as it was against a side that has owned our asses for 6 years.

DOG GOD
22-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Have to say Johnno's 300th game and last qtr effort.

The draw against Richmond when it looked like we were dead and buried

The wins over Swans and Saints after being bogey sides

The win in my home town of Launceston against the Hawks.

Wards first game and goal.

Ozza
22-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Was interstate teh week of Jonno's 300th....so I'll say - the first saints win was very exciting, the Sydney finals win (Griff's running goal was the moment), the Brisbane game at the G we were unbelievable also.

LostDoggy
22-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Cooneys first half of the year for me was awesome.

LostDoggy
22-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Dale Morris getting AA, Johnno's 300th and his individual brilliance in that game, finally beating Sydney (3 times, who would have thought), finally beating St Kilda, being so good interstate, the first 16 rounds...it was a good season on the whole, the Sydney semi had to be the highlight though, I loved every minute of it.

LostDoggy
22-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I would say my season highlight was the walk from my car to the ground against Geelong.

I felt confident we could win, we were still a chance until the ball was bounced, anything could happen and the nervous buzz in my body about being 120 minutes away from a GF was too much to handle.

I nearly threw up from excitement on the way to the ground, which is a feeling I've never had had going to the footy.

It was my highlight for sure.

dadsgirl16
22-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Goodness! I agree with ALL of the above,must have been a good year!!

Go_Dogs
22-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Beating Adelaide in Rd#1, was very satisfying. Very tough game, and Johnno is his 300th played just about his best 10 minutes of football to steal the game for us.

Griffen's 90 metre goal at AAMI Stadium was another highlight.

Making the trip over the Melbourne and being at a 75,000+ crowd was another, albeit without getting a win (QF).

strebla
22-09-2008, 05:51 PM
I really thought we would be doing this next week but for me it was BJ's last goal in round one lowlight was without doubt Akers handstand I understand his reasons but believe it caused far too much friction in the rooms

Sedat
22-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I really thought we would be doing this next week but for me it was BJ's last goal in round one lowlight was without doubt Akers handstand I understand his reasons but believe it caused far too much friction in the rooms
Week 1 of the finals was the season lowlight for the club by the length of the Flemington Straight. Because we didn't come to play that night, we were left with Geelong in a PF instead of a very pedestrian St Kilda outfit. Quite simply, that abject (and out of character in 2008) performance cost us a long-awaited Grand Final berth. Couldn't give a toss about some meaningless mid season handstand in comparison.

strebla
22-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Week 1 of the finals was the season lowlight for the club by the length of the Flemington Straight. Because we didn't come to play that night, we were left with Geelong in a PF instead of a very pedestrian St Kilda outfit. Quite simply, that abject (and out of character in 2008) performance cost us a long-awaited Grand Final berth. Couldn't give a toss about some meaningless mid season handstand in comparison.

Although I understand where you are comming from I thought the handstand hindered our momentum

bornadog
22-09-2008, 06:08 PM
For me the highlights were:

The number of goals we kicked in some matches, with some very big quarters.

Seeing some of the young guys develop - Hill, Harbrow, Addison, with the performance of Harbrow against Geelong being a great moment.

The never say die attitude pre the mid season break. (seem to fall away abit after the break)

Bumper Bulldogs
22-09-2008, 08:45 PM
For me was the game against Geelong in the prelim. It shows we have come along way and has all other teams looking over their shoulder for next season. We are one as a team.

Well done boys.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-09-2008, 08:50 PM
For me was the game against Geelong in the prelim. It shows we have come along way and has all other teams looking over their shoulder for next season. We are one as a team.

Well done boys.

In some ways, I agree with you.

It was a very, very bitter pill to swallow - even watching the Brownlow tonight, I feel strange. I'm not 'over' Friday Night yet. I didn't go to the game expecting to win, but the reality is we probably should of. That third quarter, Geelong were packing themselves. Even early in the last - but we couldn't put it on the scoreboard.

Still, the way we played was a highlight. The unbelievable amount of tackling and pressure was fantastic. We played accountable football and made it hard for them to create overlaps. The backline played its best game for the year too.

I left the game feeling we aren't too far away for once.

As far as the H&A season is concerned, Rd 3 v St. Kilda was my highlight - sort of made a point that we had come to play in 2008 - especially after a dominating first qtr by St. Kilda.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-09-2008, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=The Bulldogs Bite;57754]In some ways, I agree with you.

It was a very, very bitter pill to swallow - even watching the Brownlow tonight, I feel strange. I'm not 'over' Friday Night yet. I didn't go to the game expecting to win, but the reality is we probably should of. That third quarter, Geelong were packing themselves. Even early in the last - but we couldn't put it on the scoreboard.

Yes but with a young list we will have these moments. I feel that it is and will be the sting in the paints the boys need to drive them next year.

Beware of the Dog!

In's to come
Addison, Williams, Ward & West.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Cooney winning the Brownlow.
And his comment about proposing to his fiancee, with a burger ring. Priceless.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Cooney's brownlow!
He is only going to get better as well, as will the rest of the team.
Get Williams fit and bring in Barry Hall. Looking forward to 2009 already...

westdog54
23-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Cooney winning the Brownlow.
And his comment about proposing to his fiancee, with a burger ring. Priceless.

Agreed.

Piss funny.

strebla
23-09-2008, 12:40 AM
NO doubt all surpassed by tonight well done coons
(we have the best footballer in the land )

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 12:43 AM
First game against Adelaide, Boyd's tackle on Thomas, making the finals, Sydney win in the finals, Harbrows game against Geelong, and now Cooneys brownlow.

I also want to make special mention of Fev stuffing up and losing that 50 metre penalty - that got me out of my seat and applauding.

Mofra
23-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Just then (not the brownlow).

Gilbee's cameo on Sports tonight. Still tipsy from Mad Monday, fronts up, almost slurs an interview, and as they cut to the highlight's he's running off in the background, shirt untucked to join his teammates.

Cut back to the presenter, he still in the background running the other way (obviously lost).

Great Effort Gilbs :p

Scraggers
23-09-2008, 03:17 AM

Gilbee's cameo on Sports tonight. Still tipsy from Mad Monday, fronts up, almost slurs an interview, and as they cut to the highlight's he's running off in the background, shirt untucked to join his teammates.

Cut back to the presenter, he still in the background running the other way (obviously lost).

Absolute CLASSIC !!!! :D

westdog54
23-09-2008, 04:18 PM

Saw that as well, thought it was absolutely hilarious.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Haha, hilarious.

StaRRy#9
23-09-2008, 05:27 PM

Haha i saw that too, funny stuff!

My highlight would now have to be Cooney winning the brownlow, brilliant!!

Before that it was Friday night against Geelong and how well our Backline played. It has given me confidence going into 2009 knowing our backline is capable of working really well together and really straving the #1 attacking side in the compeition. Great signs.

western cookie
23-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Hawk win in Tassie.
Williams ability on show, even if it was too short.
Coons and Griff in unison, 10 years of bliss.

GVGjr
28-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Highlights:
Cooneys Brownlow.
Our win against the Swans in the finals was an extremely weel executed and well coached game.
The way we beat the Hawks down in Tassie

Lowlights:
The number of members that dropped off.
The loss against the Hawks in the finals because nothing went right.
Will Minson's comment to Kane Cornes was particular poor and he was lucky not to be stood down by the club.
The sacking of Scott West at the end of the season.