PDA

View Full Version : Hall is the Bulldogs' go-to man

Rocket Science
23-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Hall is the Bulldogs' go-to man (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/hall-is-the-bulldogs-goto-man/2008/09/22/1221935546194.html)

THE Western Bulldogs have unofficially approached controversial Sydney spearhead Barry Hall as their search for a big key forward intensifies in the lead-up to next month's trade week.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade is believed to have communicated his interest to the 31-year-old, who is contracted to the Swans until the end of next year but is pushing for a one-year contract extension he is unlikely to receive until the 2009 season is underway.

While Hall finished 2008 in good form and injury-free, he became disenchanted with his club for a significant period after it suspended him for two weeks in July after he struck Collingwood's Shane Wakelin.

That incident took place in Hall's third game back from a seven-match suspension for knocking out West Coast's Brent Staker in round four.

The Swans said Hall's personal problems had caused him such emotional distress that he had become a potential liability on the field.

While the Swans have not completely ruled out a trade, the stumbling block for the Bulldogs, who would have to offer Hall a two-year contract to secure him, is his pay packet, estimated at about $500,000 for season 2009.

Against that is Sydney's unwillingness to extend Hall's contract until he has proved his body will stand up to another pre-season and beyond.

The Bulldogs refused to comment yesterday but it is believed that Eade spoke on the telephone with Hall last weekend.

Sydney football boss Andrew Ireland told The Age the club had received no approach from the Bulldogs and refused to comment further.

But the Bulldogs' search for a key forward, Hall's situation at Sydney and Kangaroo Nathan Thompson's forced retirement have provided the ingredients for one of the more intriguing scenarios of trade week.

Hall told The Age after the Swans' finals campaign finished: "Recently, we (Hall and his manager) approached the club about my longer-term future, beyond this contract, but we haven't heard back yet.

"I guess I'll hear back in the coming weeks, but I understand the club's point of view, and they might want to sit and wait and see how my form and everything is going before doing anything.

"Besides the actual incidents and the games I missed, I thought my form this year has been pretty good.

"I still think I've got a lot to offer as far as footy goes, but if my form drops off, I'll be the first to put my hand up and concede I might be past it."

The Bulldogs' loss to Geelong in the first preliminary final last Friday night again underlined the club's glaring vacancy in the forward line.

Eade and his match committee will also approach Thompson, who was delisted by North Melbourne last week after contract talks were placed on hold.

Although Thompson, 30, has stated he will retire, the Bulldogs believe he could be persuaded to continue his AFL career at a third club.

====================================

Looks like Caro's an avid forum lurker...

I've got enough reservations about the chase for Hall, but sincerely hope she's off the mark as regards Thompson.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 09:18 AM
I think you are right rocket science, a lot of forums being read by "journalists" at this time of the year.

Rumours & innuendo going crazy, a journalist that has written that we are interested in Thompson, despite the fact that a day or so earlier Leon Cameron came out and dismissed the short term fix with regards to Thompson.

With regards to Hall, the Herald Sun painted a different picture on the whole situation this morning. ie that Rocket was surprised when Hall was mentioned,a nd that we hadnt considered him due to beign under contract.

Would be interesting to see who is reporting the correct facts (if at all) :rolleyes:

bornadog
23-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Personally, I am sick of taking ageing footballers, or second rate talls. I prefer not to take Hall or Thompson, full stop.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I would be very unhappy with Thomson.

Hall for cheap, for two years i could live with.

Thorpe appears the best of the rest. But Hawks would want too much.

Topdog
23-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Personally, I am sick of taking ageing footballers, or second rate talls. I prefer not to take Hall or Thompson, full stop.

So you would have preferred us to be in the bottom 4 this year?

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 03:08 PM
How did Beau Dowler from Hawthorn go in the vfl this year and also, how many goals did Mitch Thorp kick?

bornadog
23-09-2008, 03:37 PM
So you would have preferred us to be in the bottom 4 this year?

Not sure what you mean? We never had any 32 year old ex full forwards in the team this year.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Not sure what you mean? We never had any 32 year old ex full forwards in the team this year.

I think he was referring to the recruitment of Welsh, Akermanis and Hudson. None of which are recycled tall forwards, but the point is the same. Sometimes top up players can come in and fill a required role.

I for one am not interested at all in chasing Barry Hall.

bornadog
23-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I think he was referring to the recruitment of Welsh, Akermanis and Hudson. None of which are recycled tall forwards, but the point is the same. Sometimes top up players can come in and fill a required role.

I for one am not interested at all in chasing Barry Hall.

Welsh and Huddo, both under 30 as well as Aker was when we got him last year, not 32 year olds.

My memories are of, Jakervich, Cook, etc etc.

Lets develop some young guys as KPP's and in my opinion, stick some one like Grant or Boumann at FF and get our midfielders to feed them the ball, (on the chest, not bombed in the air). None of this, in one week out the next and lets see how he goes at Willy. Frankly, the standard at Willy is nowhere the same and they won't develop much playing there, and if we think this kid has got some talent, then let him play with talent. Its a bit like Harbrow and Hill, we kept them in the team when we could easily have dropped them and now they have three finals under their belt. Hill did well against the Hawks and Sydney and Harbrow was fantastic against Geelong.

At 32 years of age, Hall isnot going to give us much, we need to be looking at the long term.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Welsh and Huddo, both under 30 as well as Aker was when we got him last year, not 32 year olds.

My memories are of, Jakervich, Cook, etc etc.

Lets develop some young guys as KPP's and in my opinion, stick some one like Grant or Boumann at FF and get our midfielders to feed them the ball, (on the chest, not bombed in the air). None of this, in one week out the next and lets see how he goes at Willy. Frankly, the standard at Willy is nowhere the same and they won't develop much playing there, and if we think this kid has got some talent, then let him play with talent. Its a bit like Harbrow and Hill, we kept them in the team when we could easily have dropped them and now they have three finals under their belt. Hill did well against the Hawks and Sydney and Harbrow was fantastic against Geelong.

At 32 years of age, Hall isnot going to give us much, we need to be looking at the long term.

I tend to agree with you, but the facts are we are very close to a premiership. I don't think Hall is the answer, but at the same time if we are able to get a key forward who can give us some good value for a year or two, it might just get us that premiership whilst we develop our own young talls for a great shot at a flag in 3-5 years time.

It's just about finding the right option at the right price, and it is not merely as simple as someone who can take a mark or kick a goal, it needs to be someone who fits in with the dynamic of the group, and offer some leadership and experience to the squad too.

I think I've talked myself to the middle of the road... :D

bornadog
23-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I tend to agree with you, but the facts are we are very close to a premiership. I don't think Hall is the answer, but at the same time if we are able to get a key forward who can give us some good value for a year or two, it might just get us that premiership whilst we develop our own young talls for a great shot at a flag in 3-5 years time.

It's just about finding the right option at the right price, and it is not merely as simple as someone who can take a mark or kick a goal, it needs to be someone who fits in with the dynamic of the group, and offer some leadership and experience to the squad too.

I think I've talked myself to the middle of the road... :D

I agree we need someone but Hall is not the answer. In the past two seasons he has barely managed to kick 40 goals, yes he only played 15 this year, but its still a poor return.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 11:13 PM
hall is not the answer............he is overrated and a total wanker and should quit footy and go to boxing, we dont want some so called play 1 good game then give away 100 free kicks wanker like hall, at 32 he is too old anyway, if we dont want thompson (which i dont want him either) we definitely shouldnt go for hall.................

Scraggers
24-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Dennis Cometti said on Perth radio tonight that the Freo Dockers have been in serious conversations with Barry Hall, but he thinks the only thing that will come of it is an extension to his existing contract with Sydney

bornadog
24-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Fantasia confirmed that Hall won't be pursued.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Fantasia confirmed that Hall won't be pursued.
When and where did you see that bd?