PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Rocket and Recruiting Staff

Desipura
23-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Whilst I would not be disappointed to pick up a 32yo in Barry Hall, we really have to be careful that we do not sacrifice too much to get him.

Some say a 2nd round pick would get the deal done. That potentially is a 150 game player we are potentially losing for a 40 odd game player who may or may not help us win that elusive premiership.
If can somehow obtain a 2nd round pick as part of another deal, I would not mind.
We MUST utilise as many picks as we can prior to GC17 come in. Please do not sacrifice our future.

I would look at other clubs VFL sides….pick out a couple of players who have talent but for one reason or another have not produced……say the likes of the Thorp, Dowler, Boyle.
its just a matter of trying to prize them away…even Bartel 2 years ago was struggling…between the reserves & seniors…..he could have been obtained during the trade period back then if pressed.

Vince Lombardi in the US built a dynasty from recruiting this way…he always looked for talented & skillful players that for what ever reason had not made it, he turned nearly all of them around…… With the right structure we too can do this!
It would be good to hear from Rocket on this site....maybe TCD could ask him?

Happy Days
23-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Good post...I was under the impression, however, that the recruitment of Hall (or his likeness) was not only to help us win a premiership in the next 1-2 years, but also to help with the development of Grant, Boumann, etc. so that they will be ready when Hall steps down. It's not exactly a "quick-fix" solution, or at least not as big a one as its made out to be.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have any objections to one of the Hawthorn lads you suggested coming down to play for us...good tall youngsters are going to be increasingly difficult to secure in the next couple of years with the GC17 business, and its bloody hard to get one already.

hujsh
23-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Good post...I was under the impression, however, that the recruitment of Hall (or his likeness) was not only to help us win a premiership in the next 1-2 years, but also to help with the development of Grant, Boumann, etc. so that they will be ready when Hall steps down. It's not exactly a "quick-fix" solution, or at least not as big a one as its made out to be.

Wasn't that part of Carey's attraction? Look at Adelaide's forward line now.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 04:17 PM

Good point.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Carey was out of the game for 12 months.

Hall just had a very good finals campaign.

hujsh
23-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Carey was out of the game for 12 months.

Hall just had a very good finals campaign.

How did that affect Carey's ability to help the forward line develop.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2008, 07:50 PM
How did that affect Carey's ability to help the forward line develop.
I should have read the post a little bit better...

Happy Days
23-09-2008, 08:26 PM

Whilst Big Barry isn't the most stable of individuals, I wouldn't think, to put it lightly, he is anywhere as big of a d***head as Wayne Carey, thus making him a better mentor.

And to be fair, the forward line Carey played with contained Hentschell, who, before his injuries, was looming as a gun CHF, and Welsh as its two main targets. As far as the rest (McGregor, Stevens, etc.), not even a magician could make that lot into a reputable forward line.

hujsh
23-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Whilst Big Barry isn't the most stable of individuals, I wouldn't think, to put it lightly, he is anywhere as big of a d***head as Wayne Carey, thus making him a better mentor.

And to be fair, the forward line Carey played with contained Hentschell, who, before his injuries, was looming as a gun CHF, and Welsh as its two main targets. As far as the rest (McGregor, Stevens, etc.), not even a magician could make that lot into a reputable forward line.

I thought it was Welsh and some other guy who was delisted as the main ones. Played CHF and took contested marks well.

Hentschell worked well. Welsh not great but serviceable.

western cookie
23-09-2008, 09:30 PM
We could do a lot worse for the next two years, Grant, Boumann not ready to step into the breach next year, and with our midfield and ball movement he could kick 70-80, but cant see sydney trading for him unless we offered too much in return.

Happy Days
24-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I thought it was Welsh and some other guy who was delisted as the main ones. Played CHF and took contested marks well.

Hentschell worked well. Welsh not great but serviceable.

Ian Perrie?

I think he'd be one of the etc.'s to go with McGregor and Stevens.

hujsh
24-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Ian Perrie?

I think he'd be one of the etc.'s to go with McGregor and Stevens.

Perrie!! I knew it had a P. He was their No.2 forward to Welsh not long ago

The Bulldogs Bite
24-09-2008, 06:03 PM
What has actually happened to Hentschell? He was a gun in '06 prior to that injury. I haven't heard anything about him since though. Did he come back, but struggle for form? Did he re-injure? It's been two years since I've seen him play.

BTW, not interested in trading for Hentschell, just curious as to where he's at.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2008, 06:07 PM
What has actually happened to Hentschell? He was a gun in '06 prior to that injury. I haven't heard anything about him since though. Did he come back, but struggle for form? Did he re-injure? It's been two years since I've seen him play.

BTW, not interested in trading for Hentschell, just curious as to where he's at.
I actually rate Trent Potential very highly. I would be interested to see if they want to trade him, and what they would want.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 06:12 PM

He came back in the SANFL but like many knee reco victims struggled with hamstring strains.

Happy Days
24-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I actually rate Trent Potential very highly. I would be interested to see if they want to trade him, and what they would want.

He's a very high-risk, high-reward situation...akin to Tommy Gun in several ways....which raises the question "do we really want both our CH's to be injury prone and unreliable?"

bulldogtragic
24-09-2008, 06:23 PM
He's a very high-risk, high-reward situation...akin to Tommy Gun in several ways....which raises the question "do we really want both our CH's to be injury prone and unreliable?"
For a late pick, I would gladly delist Wight and take the punt.

One scenario we get nothing with Wight, another one nothing with Trent, or another one we gain big with Trent.

Say a late third rounder, and i'd be there with bells on. Almost a better bet than Campbell.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 10:54 PM
For a late pick, I would gladly delist Wight and take the punt.

One scenario we get nothing with Wight, another one nothing with Trent, or another one we gain big with Trent.

Say a late third rounder, and i'd be there with bells on. Almost a better bet than Campbell.

Why would Adelaide have invested the past 2 years rehabbing his knee to good health when in the end they trade him away for a 3rd rounder.

Makes.No.Sense

bulldogtragic
25-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Why would Adelaide have invested the past 2 years rehabbing his knee to good health when in the end they trade him away for a 3rd rounder.

Makes.No.Sense
They may want an extra pick in the last pure draft?

They may want a second round pick for him?

They might have had enough and want a fully fit player?

Lots of different reasons he may come up, if he was the rpice is another variable.