PDA

View Full Version : West and Street Delisted

bornadog
23-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Just heard from Sandy, will be on news tonight, channel Seven

bornadog
23-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I hope we give the great man a role at the club working with the midfield.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Sad news for West, I wouldn't have minded him being given the chance to prove he was over his injury before he was delisted.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Channel 10 reporting Scott West has parted company!!!

bornadog
23-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Sad news for West, I wouldn't have minded him being given the chance to prove he was over his injury before he was delisted.

Turns 34 in November, realistically, will he ever be the same. Has been a great champion at our club and its a bloody shame if we don't get to give him a send off.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Sad news.. but not unexpected. If Eade made the hard call on Grant last year.. I can't see him being sentimental with Westy.
One of my all time faves, Westy, and it will be very weird not seeing him in the Red White and Blue again.
I really hope the club offers him a role at the club, I think he's got alot to offer.

Scorlibo
23-09-2008, 06:46 PM
What?! Delisted? Didn't even give him the honour of retiring? What BS.

katemeehan
23-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Geez he needs a good send-off, with him being told hes not needed before he can announce it himself.

Topdog
23-09-2008, 06:51 PM
It hasn't been officially announced yet but it is disappointing that it has been leaked out. Would have been nice to have allowed him to retire.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Bit harsh on a 7 time best and fairest of the club. I just hope the Bulldogs will be offering him some kind of role at the club if he wants one.

G-Mo77
23-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Delisted? Surely not?

I'd be pretty disappointed if he went out this way but I'm sure the media outlets are putting a little spin on things. It sounds like a simialr situation to Grant last year.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 07:07 PM
If his knee is buggered and he won't admit it?
I don't think the Grant decision was wrong.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 07:10 PM
cut throat business now

FrediKanoute
23-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Still, it seems a clumbsy way to release the information. The way its being reported its as if it was a VERY one sided conversation, which I doubt it was.

At the end of the day, would Scott West have got us over the line against the Cats? Is he going to be a guy who will come back in and get us over the line next year? If Scott retires does this create a spot for Ward, Harbrow, Addison, Reid?

It is a VERY cutthroat business. Scott, thanks for the memories!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-09-2008, 07:16 PM
If his knee is buggered and he won't admit it?
I don't think the Grant decision was wrong.

Agree Ernie.. I think Westy was always going to be in trouble given the fact he could not get back on the AFL field during the season following his injury, and also given how well we performed in his absence. Then on top of that the nature of the injury and his age.
There is no room for sentimentality these days in footy.. and it is a bit sad, but it is a reality.
List sizes and salary cap issues make it almost impossible to give a player a spot on the list who is not young and developing and may or may not get on the park due to injuries.

Maybe there is scope for the AFL to allow each club to have extra spots on the list for a player (s) over 33 where that player has played more than 250 games or 10 years for the club he is at.

The player would still count toward the salary cap, and having a 10 year or 250 game rule at the same club would prevent teams from nabbing a bunch of veterans in addition to their normal squad.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Sad to see Westy go, has been the ultimate club man and gave his all this year to make a come back. I bet it's a very disappointing and upsetting time for Scott, but probably the right decision for the club at this stage.

I wish Westy all the best for the future and hope to see him stay involved with the club over the coming years.

The Coon Dog
23-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Maybe there is scope for the AFL to allow each club to have extra spots on the list for a player (s) over 33 where that player has played more than 250 games or 10 years for the club he is at.

There is. It's called the veterans list & Westy is on it.

They have to have been at the club for at least 10 years & be 30 years old.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2008, 07:23 PM

These players still count as being 'on the list' though, don't they? (perhaps my understanding is wrong). I believed the only benefit of being on the veterans list was that only half your salary got included in the cap?

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Delisted? I hope not! You cant DELIST a club legend, it'd have to be his decision? If not, ouch.

I love Westy, thanks for the memories.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-09-2008, 07:26 PM

They have to have been at the club for at least 10 years & be 30 years old.

OK. So that players spot doesn't count towards the overall list number and is therefore not taking a spot that would otherwise go to someone else?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-09-2008, 07:26 PM
These players still count as being 'on the list' though, don't they? (perhaps my understanding is wrong). I believed the only benefit of being on the veterans list was that only half your salary got included in the cap?

Thats what I thought, but not sure.

Max469
23-09-2008, 07:27 PM
What?! Delisted? Didn't even give him the honour of retiring? What BS.

My sentiments exactly :mad:

The Coon Dog
23-09-2008, 07:29 PM

No, they don't count on the list.

You can have 38 players on the list plus a combination of 6 veterans/rookies. So if you have 1 veteran you can have 5 rookies.

The % of salary attributable towards the salary cap is determined by the number of veterans. If you have 2 it's 50%, if you have 3 veterans then 33% of each of their salaries would be outside the salary cap.

All the above is expected to change as part of the AFL & the AFLPA's collective bargaining agreement. It will be replaced with a form of limited free agency.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2008, 07:40 PM
No, they don't count on the list.

You can have 38 players on the list plus a combination of 6 veterans/rookies. So if you have 1 veteran you can have 5 rookies.

The % of salary attributable towards the salary cap is determined by the number of veterans. If you have 2 it's 50%, if you have 3 veterans then 33% of each of their salaries would be outside the salary cap.

All the above is expected to change as part of the AFL & the AFLPA's collective bargaining agreement. It will be replaced with a form of limited free agency.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

A bit of guess work, but the club must have decided that it again wants 4 rookies and have decided to include Akermanis on the veterans list this year, at the expense of Westy.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

A bit of guess work, but the club must have decided that it again wants 4 rookies and therefore have deicded to include Akermanis on the veterans list this year, at the expense of Westy.
I'm certain Aker can't be on the list. I think Ealeton would be next if he's around.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm certain Aker can't be on the list. I think Ealeton would be next if he's around.

Eagle is still only 29, I believe.

hujsh
23-09-2008, 07:49 PM
So long you champion. You were the most important part of the midfield and a great leader who deserved a Brownlow.

And West was pretty good too.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Eagle is still only 29, I believe.
Yeah that's what i mean, he would be next in two years.

If he is around that long. Me gets a feeling, he doesn't have 2 or 3 years with us. Just an inkling.

BulldogBelle
23-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Cut throat business indeed

Hope the club treated West with the sensitivity his situation deserved

Imagine salary cap would be an issue considering we are chasing Hall, plus some of our other out-of-contract blokes would have been given a pay rise given the good year we had.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Doogs, West and Streety.

Now for Three more!

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 08:02 PM
What happens with the Gav Hughes situation? Is that counted as a delisting? Im not exactly sure...

Happy Days
23-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Well done on a great career Westy...but surely he wasn't delisted, maybe just one of those "enforced retirements"

And in true karmatic style, with the tradgedy of no more West comes the great joy of no more Street! :D

Go_Dogs
23-09-2008, 08:14 PM
What happens with the Gav Hughes situation? Is that counted as a delisting? Im not exactly sure...

He wasn't on the senior list, and from what I believe, won't be retained as a rookie next year.

Very disappointing, would have been a handy player at Norwood this year too.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Doesn't surprise me they let him go..

He would of tried his best to push on next year and not have made it

Aker said he was speaking to him at the brownlow and Eade was behind him, West came out with something along the lines of 'Got a feeling the bloke behind me is telling me its over tomorrow'

So he expected it..and i dont think he would be angry about it..

It would be good to get a car send off round 1 2009

As for Streeta we expected that, when Skipper was resigned

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I'll be happy with young Ward #7..

High expectations for the young fella though

If that happens then Ayce should get Darce's #14

westdog54
23-09-2008, 08:43 PM

Is Johnson already on the Vets list?

Sockeye Salmon
23-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Absolutely disgusted with the club's treatment of a legend.

As West was on the veteran's list, he woukd have only taken up a spot of a rookie. Why wouldn't the club have left him on the list, started pre-season training and then if his knee didn't hold up he could retire in time for us to use an extra pick in the rookie draft.

No cost to the club and West gets the chance to prove his knee is OK.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 09:34 PM
The way it has been reported has not been good - but the media loves to beat things up. I think it makes sense that West is not offered another contract if the club doesnt see him being able to contribute and play senior football. We shouldnt be offering him a contract just for the fact that he is an all time great and absolute champion. He has a degenerative knee and he couldnt run properly after 15+ weeks of rehab.

I think we should give the club a chance to put its official release out rather than get all worked up over a media report. I have faith that the club will make these kinds of decisions for the right reasons (ie. we want to win a premiership!) and with the right level of respect for the champion that Scott West has and always be for our club!

bornadog
23-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Scott West to retire

Following numerous media reports speculating on the future of Western Bulldogs veteran Scott West the Club can now confirm that he will not be a part of the Bulldogs playing list in 2009.

A decision of the match committee and senior coach Rodney Eade was made on Tuesday afternoon that West will no longer remain as a required player due to the club’s focus on developing youth.

Senior Coach Rodney Eade said West had been an outstanding member of the Bulldogs playing group for 17 years, winning seven Club Best and Fairest Awards, and leading by example both on and off the field.

“Westy has been an integral part of our leadership group and it has been devastating to see someone who has played so many years with minimal injuries to finish his career in such frustrating way. He is regarded as one of our all time great players and we hope to honour him in the coming months the way a Club legend should be honoured.”
for westernbulldogs.com.au

ledge
23-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Lets take out the emotion here and look at the crux.... did you see him at Willy he had a bigger limp than Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein.
He is 34 years old.
We got to 3rd and a prelim without him.
Couldnt get out on the ground at 33 its not like your going to get any better at 34.

Delisted? probably i would imagine he was given the option of retiring but some players dont realize its over and go into shock, remember its been his life!
Now forget its West, if it was anyone else you would say yeah its over.
I love him as much as anyone but i think deep down we all knew it was time.

A wonderful career and he bought joy to us all, I hope he doesnt take it too hard and realizes it was time.
Sadly coaches have to make hard desicions and you dont get results being soft.

Maybe this was what Smorgan meant when he said hard decisions to be made.

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Scott West to retire

http://westernbulldogs.com.au/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsid=68140

Following numerous media reports speculating on the future of Western Bulldogs veteran Scott West the Club can now confirm that he will not be a part of the Bulldogs playing list in 2009.

A decision of the match committee and senior coach Rodney Eade was made on Tuesday afternoon that West will no longer remain as a required player due to the club’s focus on developing youth.

Senior Coach Rodney Eade said West had been an outstanding member of the Bulldogs playing group for 17 years, winning seven Club Best and Fairest Awards, and leading by example both on and off the field.

“Westy has been an integral part of our leadership group and it has been devastating to see someone who has played so many years with minimal injuries to finish his career in such frustrating way. He is regarded as one of our all time great players and we hope to honour him in the coming months the way a Club legend should be honoured.”
for westernbulldogs.com.au

LostDoggy
23-09-2008, 10:25 PM
... There is no room for sentimentality these days in footy.. and it is a bit sad, but it is a reality. ...

All I heard about West tonight was a micro second grab on Ch 9 news saying doctors have told West he will not be able to play on with "that knee". Whether that amounted to a delisting or retirement I don't know.

Yes YHF, sentimentality seems to have no place in footy anymore, but only on a corporate level. I watch footy with nothing but sentimentality and emotion and that's what makes it so wonderful.

I hope Westy gets the best acknowledgment to his years of service that the Club can muster.

Happy Days
23-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Is there any chance he would go elsewhere?

Mofra
23-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Is there any chance he would go elsewhere?
A 34 year old with a degenerative knee condition in the last uncompromised draft prior to the GC17 gift-bag bonanza?

Wouldn't think so.

craigsahibee
23-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Viva la Westy.

GVGjr
23-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Is anything actually confirmed about Street? I think he is too good to be kept playing for us in the VFL especially knowing that he is very unlikely to get a senior game but I still haven't seen anything confirming his departure.

bornadog
23-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Is anything actually confirmed about Street? I think he is too good to be kept playing for us in the VFL especially knowing that he is very unlikely to get a senior game but I still haven't seen anything confirming his departure.

Mentioned on the radio, but haven't seen anything official yet.

This from the little paper.

" Ruckman Peter Street was also told today he was no longer wanted by the club.

Despite improving his game in the VFL this season, Street was unable to bump recruit Ben Hudson from the senior side.

Street played just one game for the Dogs this year. "

cinder
24-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Yeah I find the timing odd as well, but I guess they didn't want to leave the poor guy in any more suspense.
I feel really sad for him. He's been such a champion, and one of my faves for a long long time. :(

Mantis
24-09-2008, 08:52 AM
It does seem that it has been poorly handled, but I suppose it was inevitable that it would be. We have West who wants to continue playing and is as stubborn as an ox and the club on the other hand who are looking forward. Someone had to give and it seems neither party were willing to.

West has been a great warrior over the years, but the time is right. Good luck in retirement.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 09:59 AM
The way that the club has handled this i complete BS, if Westy wants to play on for one final year then let him, he has earned that much. After so many years service this is what he gets. This seems like Doug Hawkins all over again.

Ozza
24-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Absolutely disgraceful effort from the Footy Club.
Another case of a champion being handled terribly.
Scott West is Westen Bulldogs royalty and this is absolutely disgusting from the club.

bornadog
24-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Scott West is Westen Bulldogs royalty and this is absolutely disgusting from the club.

Easy for us to sit back and say its poorly handled etc, however, we don't know the other side of the story, ie what happened behind closed doors, leaking of information etc.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 10:49 AM

Have to disagree. The club has done the right thing retiring West (despite the fact that he is a club great). West being a passionate person has taken it badly but any logical consideration of our list would have led to the same conclusion. Bottom line best for our football club in 2009 is no Scott West, ongoing knee problems would have been a distraction, and even if he managed to get back to 80% of his best it is arguable whether he would be taking the place of a Ward or a Harbrow and probably be exploited for his lack of mobility. If a player doesn't accept the news well there is no way to handle this situation well, don't blame the club here, they made a tough decision (and a correct one).

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I agree with you completly this is a disgrace Westy deserved much better than this.

bornadog
24-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree with you completly this is a disgrace Westy deserved much better than this.

Two sides to every story.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 11:11 AM
The way that the club has handled this i complete BS, if Westy wants to play on for one final year then let him, he has earned that much. After so many years service this is what he gets. This seems like Doug Hawkins all over again.

You cant bring in an un-fit player who could only manage 6 games this year into a side pushing for a Premiership in the next 2 years. Not saying Scott West isnt in our best 22, but you cant risk a midfielder that has knee problems just because he wants to play on.

It has been handled badly though, what they should of done is let him try and have a pre-season and assess it weeks before round 1 and see if he could prove his fitness instead..

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Jesus christ.

From one extreme to another.

These past 2 days have been like having a baby (Coons Brownlow) to your grandmother dying (Westy's sacking).

Thanks for the wonderful memories Westy.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 05:31 PM
The Herald Sun mentioned today that Peter Street had been told he is 'up for trade'. Good luck getting anything for him.

Did Wayde Skipper resign, and if so , for how long?

bulldogtragic
24-09-2008, 06:26 PM
The Herald Sun mentioned today that Peter Street had been told he is 'up for trade'. Good luck getting anything for him.

Did Wayde Skipper resign, and if so , for how long?
Skip re-signed. For 1 year I think.

We will get nothing for Street. However, the VicPol footy squad will be very happy when taking on the MFB boys next year. Although the MFB boys did get Timmy Walsh.

Maybe we should just trade direct with the emergency services in Victoria...

LostDoggy
26-09-2008, 01:39 AM
The timing of West's delisting upset a couple of people Eade hasnt been too popular the last few days.

bornadog
26-09-2008, 11:08 AM
The timing of West's delisting upset a couple of people Eade hasnt been too popular the last few days.

I think we all knew it was going to happen, but as you say the timing has upset a few at the club, but also all doggies supporters.