PDA

View Full Version : I don't like it, but I 100% respect it.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Westy is a champion. I know the word gets used too much, but he's a deadset superstar and legend of the game not just AFL.

If he does not want to retire, then the club had no choice other than to delist.

I DONT LIKE IT!

However, the club needs to improve to get into the grand final and win premierships. We need the likes of Reid and Ward to be getting serious games next year as well as bringing in Williams and Grant and others like Stack. I for one agree that to improve does not have Scott West a part of it. This must be one of the toughest ever decisions and takes some serious courage, i'm glad i didn't have to make the decision or tell himIt's the right move however.

I 100% RESPECT IT.

Now rip me to shreads.

Scraggers
24-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Westy is a champion. I know the word gets used too much, but he's a deadset superstar and legend of the game not just AFL.

If he does not want to retire, then the club had no choice other than to delist.

I DONT LIKE IT!

However, the club needs to improve to get into the grand final and win premierships. We need the likes of Reid and Ward to be getting serious games next year as well as bringing in Williams and Grant and others like Stack. I for one agree that to improve does not have Scott West a part of it. This must be one of the toughest ever decisions and takes some serious courage, i'm glad i didn't have to make the decision or tell himIt's the right move however.

I 100% RESPECT IT.

Now rip me to shreads.

I agree with you !!

It is just disappointing with the timing (straight after Cooney's Brownlow) and the fact that West did not leave the club on his terms.

Mantis
24-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Do you need to create a new thread for every thought you have?

bulldogtragic
24-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Do you need to create a new thread for every thought you have?
No. But i wanted it away from the hate spiels i was spewing with others about it. Some clear air if you will Mantis.

My apologies.

Desipura
24-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I agree with you !!

It is just disappointing with the timing (straight after Cooney's Brownlow) and the fact that West did not leave the club on his terms.
So every club champion should leave on their terms? We would have some stubborn footballers who think they can etch one more season out.
If West played ahead of Ward next year, would you be happy?
The timing was unfortunate given the amount of games he missed this year
A champion player with 7 b & f's to his name, that can never be tacken away from him.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Westy has been a great player for the Footscray/Western Bulldogs. Unfortunately we have shown that our midfield can cut the mustard without him. At his age, after being out of the game for a year, how much would he have brought to the team that Cooney, Griffen, Boyd don't.

Whilst it is sad that we won't see the great man play again in a bulldog jumper I think the club have made the right decision.

I also hope that they don't hand some young unproven player the number 7. Give it a couple of years on the sidelines and then maybe hand it over to another gun midfielder.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 03:42 PM
I fully agree with this. If we had given him another year just for the sake of doing things on his own terms then we:1) lose an opportunity to draft a young player in what is a very good draft; 2) limit the opportunities for the new set of midfielders we having coming through - of which there are quite a few; 3) risk the fact that Westy will be confined to picking up 30+ touches at Williamstown.

This is the right decision for the club and I am sure that Westy will be recognised for what he has done for the club.

bulldogs1956
24-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Just joined WOOF today, and had to post about this thread. I guess now that I have had time to digest it, you're right. At first I was extremely upset, but I guess the team needs to come before an individual. But what an individual and true champion Westy has been for this club. It is just a shame that 1) the timing could have been handled better, i.e., after Cooney's fabulous win, and 2) that Scotty had to have the decision taken from his control. I'm sure it leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth. Oh, but I really don't want to see him in another jumper and hope that once the dust settles and he has had some time to reflect, he will understand why the club made this decision. I too, don't like it, but I think I do agree with it. Go Doggies - I long to see a Premiership - missed 54 as I wasn't born! Being going to see the boys since 1964 and hope we are working towards that elusive flag!!

drewbles
24-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I thought our team was better than this. Westie still plays top football in the midfield and would still be a great assett to us next year. He's no dummy. He knows when it's time to go and i think that would have been after next year. He doesn't deserve this. I and my family will not be renewing our memberships next year, that will be the first time in my life. i am just that upset by the clubs handling of this. I will never forget that hungry look on Westie's face after the Geelong game as he smelt that football. he deserves another year. somethings are more important in life and the Bulldogs used to be one of the only teams that understood that. Not any more it seems.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I fully agree with this. If we had given him another year just for the sake of doing things on his own terms then we:1) lose an opportunity to draft a young player in what is a very good draft;

We don't teddy. If Westy remained with us (he's on the veterans list) it would have meant us having one less rookie.

I reckon I've posted this 4 times now, but you can have 38 players on your main list & a combination of 6 veterans/rookies. Westy (along with Johnno) are 2 of the 6 V/R's.

Eagleton is another year away from being a veteran, so Westy in effect was only taking up a spot we would have given a rookie.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 05:31 PM
We don't teddy. If Westy remained with us (he's on the veterans list) it would have meant us having one less rookie.

I reckon I've posted this 4 times now, but you can have 38 players on your main list & a combination of 6 veterans/rookies. Westy (along with Johnno) are 2 of the 6 V/R's.

Eagleton is another year away from being a veteran, so Westy in effect was only taking up a spot we would have given a rookie.

Problem being if he is on the list and injured next year its a distraction, if he is not injured he is holding back development of a young onballer. West has been a great player, but he was never the quickest and his injury would have exasperated this, I think the timing was right for where we are heading as a team.

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I thought our team was better than this. Westie still plays top football in the midfield and would still be a great assett to us next year. He's no dummy. He knows when it's time to go and i think that would have been after next year. He doesn't deserve this. I and my family will not be renewing our memberships next year, that will be the first time in my life. i am just that upset by the clubs handling of this. I will never forget that hungry look on Westie's face after the Geelong game as he smelt that football. he deserves another year. somethings are more important in life and the Bulldogs used to be one of the only teams that understood that. Not any more it seems.

Over this? That's pathetic.

GVGjr
24-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Drewbles, First up Welcome to WOOF. Regarding not signing up as a protest to Scott West being delisted, I think there is far better ways to lodge your protest rather than chucking in the membership. I understand people being upset and even bitter but playing the membership card is not the way resolve anything. It's up to you but whilst I think the club has done this very poorly I won't be threatening to not sign up again next season.

hujsh
24-09-2008, 08:00 PM

Do you support West F.C or something

The Coon Dog
24-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I and my family will not be renewing our memberships next year, that will be the first time in my life.

I often see this posted, just curious what it actually achieves.

Mantis
24-09-2008, 08:21 PM
I often see this posted, just curious what it actually achieves.

Means our club goes down the toilet.

remster
24-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I totaly agree , drewbles always getting rid of the wrong players. Scott West is an absalute legend of the Footscray footy club 7 best and fairest and just to be told it's over like that is disgracful western bulldogs can go to buggery as far as Im concerned ,

GetDimmaBack
24-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Can't help thinking that this situation was always a possibility with Westy.

Such a fierce competitor, unmatched determination - never left the ground wondering.

With all of these qualities, Westy could be 65, and he would still find retirement unpalatable and would need to be "forcibly removed" by the club.
As a few have said, when he cools down he will probably realise that his time was up.

Emotionally, I'm struggling to accept that he's not going to be there any more, but age catches up with us all.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2008, 08:28 PM
I totaly agree , drewbles always getting rid of the wrong players. Scott West is an absalute legend of the Footscray footy club 7 best and fairest and just to be told it's over like that is disgracful western bulldogs can go to buggery as far as Im concerned ,

So you would be happy for the club to fork out about 400k on a player who has a knee so suspect he'd struggle to play?

GVGjr
24-09-2008, 08:31 PM
So you would be happy for the club to fork out about 400k on a player who has a knee so suspect he'd struggle to play?

Should we assume this is a money issue? Nothing has been reported that he has put that type of figure on his services.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Should we assume this is a money issue? Nothing has been reported that he has put that type of figure on his services.
I'm not suggesting it's a money issue, nor am I sure if the figure is close or not, just wondering if spending x amount on a player you have medical advice on that suggests he won't play is not akin to throwing money away. Money we can ill afford to throw away either.

GVGjr
24-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm not suggesting it's a money issue, nor am I sure if the figure is close or not, just wondering if spending x amount on a player you have medical advice on that suggests he won't play is not akin to throwing money away. Money we can ill afford to throw away either.

To me this is not about the money and I'd hate to cloud the discussion about it. Quite simply the issue is about pulling the curtain on a fabulous career in the manner (and timing) it was done.

I don't think West should have played on however, I would have waited a bit longer and tried to get his acceptance of it rather than having it reported that he has been delisted.
Multi time club champions deserve a fair bit better than that.

Wests outstanding career does not pale in comparison to Robert Harvey's as far as I am concerned and yet he got the the full treatment and accolades on Monday night. West on the other hand is simply delisted on Tuesday. Granted Harvey flagged his intention to retire a lot earlier but West spent the better part on the late season trying to get himself ready to play finals football and assumed that if he performed he was a real chance to play the next season. In my opinion he just needed more time to accept the decision and we did not need to rush it.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2008, 08:53 PM
The more i hear, the more of a beat up.

West refused to resign with grace. What do we do, re-sign him in the belief his spot on the list is holding us back. The reason given is valid.

The club chose not to renew an expired contract. West could have resigned in a stage-managed exit (ala Chris Grant). But he chose not to.

The club is under no obligation to extend his contract, and i beleive was right to end it. That it was not a fairytale resignation is not the fault of the club.

The more i hear of this, the more i think the club is not as evil as membership tearer-uper-ers would have you believe. If you would tear your membership up over this, being fully cognizant of the facts and circumstances, than shove it. I bleed red, white and blue and they could insult me on national tv and break my heart for another 30 years, but they will have my money. I'm a member, not a supporter that pays dues when it suits.

strebla
24-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes it is a sad day for all of us but as for throwing in your membership pull your heads in THAT is not what one S West would want he has bled on so many occasions for all of us and OUR club.

Dry Rot
24-09-2008, 09:05 PM

To make that informed judgement about his prospects next year and the club's behaviour, you've obviously read the medical reports on Westy - can you post them for us?

bulldogs1956
24-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Drewbles - I totally understand your emotion about this issue, but I don't agree with your remarks about not renewing your membership! This won't help Scott and will just hurt the club we all love!

KT31
24-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Remember when Dougie wouldn't go.
He played very ordinary footy for the Roy's the next season.
Broke my heart.

Scott West was and is a champion and I congratulate him on a brillient and great carrer.
But ultimately its about us winning our first flag since the age before computers and when most of us were still swimming you know where.

I would sack most of the list if it guaranteed us a flag, or two, the next couple of years.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 10:13 PM
To me this is not about the money and I'd hate to cloud the discussion about it. Quite simply the issue is about pulling the curtain on a fabulous career in the manner (and timing) it was done.

I don't think West should have played on however, I would have waited a bit longer and tried to get his acceptance of it rather than having it reported that he has been delisted.
Wests outstanding career does not pale in comparison to Robert Harvey's as far as I am concerned and yet he got the the full treatment and accolades on Monday night. West on the other hand is simply delisted on Tuesday. Granted Harvey flagged his intention to retire a lot earlier but West spent the better part on the late season trying to get himself ready to play finals football and assumed that if he performed he was a real chance to play the next season. In my opinion he just needed more time to accept the decision and we did not need to rush it.

My feeling exact. Well put.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2008, 10:20 PM

In a perfect world what you say makes sense, but does anyone really believe discussions could have taken place over a period of time without it leaking out? Never would have worked.

hujsh
24-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Remember when Dougie wouldn't go.
He played very ordinary footy for the Roy's the next season.
Broke my heart.

Scott West was and is a champion and I congratulate him on a brillient and great carrer.
But ultimately its about us winning our first flag since the age before computers and when most of us were still swimming you know where.

I would sack most of the list if it guaranteed us a flag, or two, the next couple of years.

And that's exactly what the club aims to do. But other people have the player above the club attitude that Grant spoke against last year.

It's also not like West was perfect. Didn't he consider leaving when he lost the captaincy?

Topdog
24-09-2008, 11:06 PM
The only thing the club did poorly was not wait another week at least. The timing was poor and Im sure the club didn't want it to be leaked out like that but at the end of the day he was finished.

I, for the life of me cannot understand how people can claim that he would have been an asset next year. He hasn't played a game for about 20 rounds and looked like he could barely walk when he played that game for Willy.

GVGjr
24-09-2008, 11:08 PM
In a perfect world what you say makes sense, but does anyone really believe discussions could have taken place over a period of time without it leaking out? Never would have worked.

It would have only leaked out because they rushed it in the first place. There is no such thing as the perfect world however, in the wash up of this we have disrespected a club stalwart with the way it was managed and this is not something that will be lost on a lot of supporters nor his team mates.

Once the meeting wasn't going to the plan or as the hoped they should have agreed to reconvene and given him 48hrs to have a rethink. I still can't get over the accolades that Harvey enjoyed on Monday night and the blunt DCM that was delivered to West.

Topdog
24-09-2008, 11:11 PM
It would have only leaked out because they rushed it in the first place. There is no such thing as the perfect world however, in the wash up of this we have disrespected a club stalwart with the way it was managed and this is not something that will be lost on a lot of supporters nor his team mates.

Once the meeting wasn't going to the plan or as the hoped they should have agreed to reconvene and given him 48hrs to have a rethink. I still can't get over the accolades that Harvey enjoyed on Monday night and the blunt DCM that was delivered to West.

Yep just put the meeting on hold for a day or 2 and give him more time to think about it.

What do you mean by DCM?

GVGjr
24-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Yep just put the meeting on hold for a day or 2 and give him more time to think about it.

What do you mean by DCM?

DCM = Don't come Monday. A lot of people used to have their employment terminated on a Friday.

Scraggers
24-09-2008, 11:13 PM
So every club champion should leave on their terms? We would have some stubborn footballers who think they can etch one more season out.
If West played ahead of Ward next year, would you be happy?
The timing was unfortunate given the amount of games he missed this year
A champion player with 7 b & f's to his name, that can never be tacken away from him.

You mis-understand what I am saying ... To be told three weeks before the end of season so that you can enjoy your last few weeks knowing your career is culminating ... then, in your final game, chaired from the ground by you friends and team mates (ala Robert Harvey)

To me, that is leaving on your terms ... the way a champion should leave a club REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY CHOOSE TO PLAY ON WITH ANOTHER CLUB OR NOT

NOT, sitting on the boundary line for 18 weeks wondering if the club you love wants you to go around one more year ... wondering if you body could take one more season... wishing you were out on the field ... declaring your wish to play on and leave with dignity ... only to be told your services are no longer required.

I am not saying the Bulldogs took this away from Westy ... And I am not saying he should have played next year.

What I am saying is that fate dealt Westy a cruel blow and I wish he could have left the club the way every champion should ... TO THE APPLAUSE OF HIS FANS !!

bornadog
24-09-2008, 11:21 PM

What do you mean by DCM?

Personally I was surprised the meeting took place. When the club said they were going to sit down with West and discuss his future, I thought it would have happened in October, well after the Grand Final etc.

I agree it was all too rushed, even though the end result would have been the same ie not playing on next year, but it may have given West some time to think and maybe retire with dignity.

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 11:25 PM
This episode just reinforces what an absolute champion Chris Grant was for our club.

He was told last year that the time was up and if he played on his chances would be limited. What did Chris do? He did exactly what everyone knew he would .... and that was to go out without any fuss and bother.

Unfortunately, Westy didnt do this and there has been plenty of negative media today. Similar negative publicity occurred with Douggie and Libba.

Just a pity they all couldnt have been dignified like Granty last year, or Harvey at the Saints and Burns at the Pies this year.

bornadog
24-09-2008, 11:33 PM
This episode just reinforces what an absolute champion Chris Grant was for our club.

He was told last year that the time was up and if he played on his chances would be limited. What did Chris do? He did exactly what everyone knew he would .... and that was to go out without any fuss and bother.

Unfortunately, Westy didnt do this and there has been plenty of negative media today. Similar negative publicity occurred with Douggie and Libba.

Just a pity they all couldnt have been dignified like Granty last year, or Harvey at the Saints and Burns at the Pies this year.

Excellent point.

hujsh
25-09-2008, 01:52 AM

Can't agree more. And while West will always be a champ to me his image has slightly worsened

LostDoggy
25-09-2008, 04:09 AM
WTF?????? Scott West gave more for the club than any one of us meatheads, and had earned the right many, many times over to go out on his terms. If we got sacked from our respective jobs at Hungry Jacks or Mcdonald's we would be oh-so-cut, but we somehow feel that we have the right to think less of Westy because he couldn't come to terms within 5 minutes of being sacked from a club he has been the best player at for 8 of the last 10 years? D***HEADS, each and every one of us who is putting this on Westy's head.

Listen, we are the only club in the league that can't get our act together off the field to honour our champions appropriately. I don't mean meaningless, trite superficial stuff, but real, deep, honouring stuff; the stuff that champion clubs do so well. Let's not shy away from the fact that maybe 54 years of constant and utter failure must have some strong cultural factors, and this is clearly a symptom of it.. that Grant and West aren't seen in the same light as your Hirds, Harveys, and even Buckleys is no one's fault but the club's and its PR department. How we can think that this is somehow an appropriate way to treat the best clubman we've had in over 50 years tells me all I need to know about the culture of this club.

AND WE DARE WONDER WHY OUR PLAYERS DON'T ALWAYS GIVE THEIR ALL.

LostDoggy
25-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Listen, we are the only club in the league that can't get our act together off the field to honour our champions appropriately. I don't mean meaningless, trite superficial stuff, but real, deep, honouring stuff; the stuff that champion clubs do so well. Let's not shy away from the fact that maybe 54 years of constant and utter failure must have some strong cultural factors, and this is clearly a symptom of it.. that Grant and West aren't seen in the same light as your Hirds, Harveys, and even Buckleys is no one's fault but the club's and its PR department. How we can think that this is somehow an appropriate way to treat the best clubman we've had in over 50 years tells me all I need to know about the culture of this club.

Lantern, you have put it up there. How do the other clubs honour their champions in a manner that we dont.

FWIW, Scott appears to have quelled his anger when he stormed out of the meeting with Rocket and is today probably regretting the public awareness of his response.

bornadog
25-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Well I hope we do have a proper send off for West. There was nothing for Chris, Smith's was belated, Darcy I can't remember anything?

The minimum is a first round match, lap of honour.

LostDoggy
25-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Done now, but I 100% don't like it, and don't respect it.

If he had to go, and who knows, surely it didn't need to be like this. Shoved out at the end of the season with a dismal press conference. Thanks for playing. On your bike. Long service deserves better, in any workplace. And footy clubs are a different kind of workplace, we are not running the Macquarie Bank here. Call it sentimentality or call it due respect, it is a valid part of decision-making in this case.

How would Johnson feel, knowing that this is the sort of inglorious exit he has in store for him very soon?

Uncharitably, I can't help but suspect that a part of Eade enjoys making the 'tough decision', appearing like a hard-nosed crash through type of guy.

West's emotional response is entirely understandable. I hope he does keep going at another club if he can. Good luck to him.

The Coon Dog
25-09-2008, 03:33 PM
West's emotional response is entirely understandable. I hope he does keep going at another club if he can. Good luck to him.

I don't. It just didn't feel right when Doug did it.

Mantis
25-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Done now, but I 100% don't like it, and don't respect it.

If he had to go, and who knows, surely it didn't need to be like this. Shoved out at the end of the season with a dismal press conference. Thanks for playing. On your bike. Long service deserves better, in any workplace. And footy clubs are a different kind of workplace, we are not running the Macquarie Bank here. Call it sentimentality or call it due respect, it is a valid part of decision-making in this case.

How would Johnson feel, knowing that this is the sort of inglorious exit he has in store for him very soon?

Uncharitably, I can't help but suspect that a part of Eade enjoys making the 'tough decision', appearing like a hard-nosed crash through type of guy.

Besides the fact that his dismissal was leaked how would you have liked it to be handled?

hujsh
25-09-2008, 04:30 PM
WTF?????? Scott West gave more for the club than any one of us meatheads, and had earned the right many, many times over to go out on his terms. If we got sacked from our respective jobs at Hungry Jacks or Mcdonald's we would be oh-so-cut, but we somehow feel that we have the right to think less of Westy because he couldn't come to terms within 5 minutes of being sacked from a club he has been the best player at for 8 of the last 10 years? D***HEADS, each and every one of us who is putting this on Westy's head.

AND WE DARE WONDER WHY OUR PLAYERS DON'T ALWAYS GIVE THEIR ALL.

No one blames West but he didn't handle it as well as I would have expected from a champion like him.

aker39
25-09-2008, 04:32 PM
No one blames West but he didn't handle it as well as I would have expected from a champion like him.

You ever been sacked from a job that you've been at for 17 years.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Exactly. We're not knifing him, just saying he also handled it poorly.

hujsh
25-09-2008, 04:41 PM
You ever been sacked from a job that you've been at for 17 years.

Not 17 yet. So no.

However I'd think of being an AFL footballer as more than a job. If you last 17 years then you should count yourself lucky that you've been so fortunate to be picked up and not get injured etc.

What makes it hard is his passion for the club but he should want the club to ultimately be successful. Grant realized/was told it may not be with him and left gracefully. West is seeing it from his point of view ATM and feels harshly done which is still more than understandable, but doesn't match the standards he has set himself for most of his career.

KT31
25-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Hard for any of us to understand.
West has given everything, body and soul to the club.
He did deserve at least to have bit of time to take it all in and decide how he the club announce it.

Mantis
25-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Hard for any of us to understand.
West has given everything, body and soul to the club.
He did deserve at least to have bit of time to take it all in and decide how he the club announce it.

That's not the clubs fault. Speculation was rife that West had been given the arse on Tuesday afternoon/ evening. The club had no option but to put out a media release confirming this news.

KT31
25-09-2008, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE=Petergm;58312]This episode just reinforces what an absolute champion Chris Grant was for our club.

He was told last year that the time was up and if he played on his chances would be limited. What did Chris do? He did exactly what everyone knew he would .... and that was to go out without any fuss and bother.QUOTE]

You are right Chris Grant was an absolute champion, but i believe he was going to play on.
It was only that his baby was ill and he chose to do the right thing by his family.

aker39
25-09-2008, 05:22 PM
However I'd think of being an AFL footballer as more than a job.

Exactly, all the more reason for him to be upset.

BulldogBelle
25-09-2008, 05:31 PM
I hope he does keep going at another club if he can. Good luck to him.

After a few days have passed he will be able to make his decision about what he wants to do, whatever that may be good luck to him and I wish him the best. I am grateful that I got to watch Scotty West's career from Day 1.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-09-2008, 06:31 PM
You are right Chris Grant was an absolute champion, but i believe he was going to play on.
It was only that his baby was ill and he chose to do the right thing by his family.

I remember his child being sick, but I don't think that had anything to do with him not playing on. As far as I can recall, he put his hand up for '08 on the basis he would play predominately forward, but the club decided it wasn't in its best interests for Chris to continue playing.

I understand the anger for Westy - it's a tough situation, and both sides have a fair case.

KT31
25-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I remember his child being sick, but I don't think that had anything to do with him not playing on. As far as I can recall, he put his hand up for '08 on the basis he would play predominately forward, but the club decided it wasn't in its best interests for Chris to continue playing.

I understand the anger for Westy - it's a tough situation, and both sides have a fair case.

I could be wrong.
I remember (ironically) Scott West mentioning it on the footy show or at a selection night.

hujsh
26-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Exactly, all the more reason for him to be upset.

That he's been given an opportunity few people will ever receive in their life?

His reaction is understandable but disappointing at the same time.

western cookie
26-09-2008, 09:07 AM
lets face it, Westy is a champion of the club and as a person and while the timing could have been better it is the right decision. AFL is a young mans game these days, Johnno,Eago,Welsh,Huddo all on the wrong side of 30 and we need the likes of Ward,Reid,and Grant to get serious game time next year. Degenerative knees need time to truly heal, the one thing not on Westys side.