PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Delistings

bornadog
25-09-2008, 12:09 AM
We know that McDougall, West and Street are gawn. .

When will the club announce its final culling, or will they hang on to others for trade bait?

bulldogtragic
25-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I'd look at Wight if anyone was interested, or delisting if no takers.

Ray apparently will 'get back to us' after being asked to stay with the club.

If holding onto older players is no necessarily wanted, perhaps offer Eagleton to the Saints for a low pick.

Lynch should be shopped but will have no interest, and O'Shea should be delisted and rookied if the assistants think he has rapid improvement in him.

bornadog
25-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Ok, add Ray to the list as he has asked to be traded.

McDougall
Ray
Street
West

???

westdog54
25-09-2008, 02:18 PM
The fact that Eagleton, Wight and Lynch weren't announced weren't announced with West and Street is interesting. Either they just haven't had their meeting with the coach yet, or there's a plan up the sleeve, or both.

I'd be mighty furious if Eagleton was retained and West wasn't.

DOG GOD
25-09-2008, 02:21 PM
The fact that Eagleton, Wight and Lynch weren't announced weren't announced with West and Street is interesting. Either they just haven't had their meeting with the coach yet, or there's a plan up the sleeve, or both.

Why? Eagleton doesnt have a knee injury. I dont think eagle deserves to be on the list next year anyway, but why would they keep West (who would be lucky to get on the park) over Eagleton?

Bulldog4life
25-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Eagleton has 1 year of his contract to go. Scott West was out of contract. There's the difference.

LostDoggy
25-09-2008, 02:25 PM

There is a 5 year age difference though.

Thing i dont get, my dad raised the same point. Mind you hes anti Barry Hall but said we sacked a 33 yo because hes too old but we are willing to take on a 33 yo for 2 years.

The Underdog
25-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Why? Eagleton doesnt have a knee injury. I dont think eagle deserves to be on the list next year anyway, but why would they keep West (who would be lucky to get on the park) over Eagleton?

West's knee injury wasn't given as the reason for him being delisted. It was opportunities for younger players. I doubt he'd still be considering playing on for someone else if his knee was the single reason to stop him from playing for us. They would keep West over Eagleton because he is a champion of our club who would put in 100% every time he walked on the field. If they keep Eagleton, therefore denying opportunities to young players now, then they are just being hypocritical.

DOG GOD
25-09-2008, 02:29 PM
West's knee injury wasn't given as the reason for him being delisted. It was opportunities for younger players. I doubt he'd still be considering playing on for someone else if his knee was the single reason to stop him from playing for us. They would keep West over Eagleton because he is a champion of our club who would put in 100% every time he walked on the field. If they keep Eagleton, therefore denying opportunities to young players now, then they are just being hypocritical.

Fair enough point Underdog.

westdog54
25-09-2008, 02:30 PM

I think that pretty much summed it up, Cheers Underdog.

bornadog
25-09-2008, 03:16 PM

So based on that we should get rid of:

Aker: 32 in Feb 09
Eagle: 30 in Nov 08
Hudson: 30 in Feb 09
Johnson: 32
Welsh: 30 in Dec 08

LostDoggy
25-09-2008, 03:21 PM
So based on that we should get rid of:

Aker: 32 in Feb 09
Eagle: 30 in Nov 08
Hudson: 30 in Feb 09
Johnson: 32
Welsh: 30 in Dec 08

My turn to bat.

Aker, Hudson, Johnson and to a lesser extent Welsh all play vital roles in our team whereas Eagle doesnt. We have ready made replacements for Eagle in Hawbrow, Hill and Higgins and im sure they could do a greater job than Eagle has done in the past.

bornadog
25-09-2008, 03:28 PM
My turn to bat.

Aker, Hudson, Johnson and to a lesser extent Welsh all play vital roles in our team whereas Eagle doesnt. We have ready made replacements for Eagle in Hawbrow, Hill and Higgins and im sure they could do a greater job than Eagle has done in the past.

I agree, I just didn't agree the reasoning put forward by underdog. I think Eagle has been great for us, but maybe he is now passed it and should retire. No one will pick him up.

The Underdog
25-09-2008, 03:50 PM
I agree, I just didn't agree the reasoning put forward by underdog. I think Eagle has been great for us, but maybe he is now passed it and should retire. No one will pick him up.

Fair point Bornadog. I should have clarified with the point that I think there are younger players who can be more valuable contributors to our side than Eags, which is an extension of the logic applied to West by the club. It appears as though the club feels that way about West. Most of us would feel that West could be a bigger contributor than Eags if fit, therefore Eags is taking up space on the list similiar to what the club feels West was. The others you've mentioned are pretty much in our best 22 or in the case of Welsh fill a need that we don't have depth in. At least Aker and Welsh will be gone after next year also.

bornadog
25-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Fair point Bornadog. I should have clarified with the point that I think there are younger players who can be more valuable contributors to our side than Eags, which is an extension of the logic applied to West by the club. It appears as though the club feels that way about West. Most of us would feel that West could be a bigger contributor than Eags if fit, therefore Eags is taking up space on the list similiar to what the club feels West was. The others you've mentioned are pretty much in our best 22 or in the case of Welsh fill a need that we don't have depth in. At least Aker and Welsh will be gone after next year also.

I do agree with your points, as the midfield is a vital area for us and we need to give a go to some of our young up and coming midielders.

I would like to see Ward, Reid, O'Keefe, Addison, given ago in the midfield at some stage. Plus Higgins is also a potential midfielder.

LostDoggy
25-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I do agree with your points, as the midfield is a vital area for us and we need to give a go to some of our young up and coming midielders.

I would like to see Ward, Reid, O'Keefe, Addison, given ago in the midfield at some stage. Plus Higgins is also a potential midfielder.

Yep I agree... Bye bye Eagleton

Mofra
25-09-2008, 05:42 PM
My turn to bat.

Aker, Hudson, Johnson and to a lesser extent Welsh all play vital roles in our team whereas Eagle doesnt. We have ready made replacements for Eagle in Hawbrow, Hill and Higgins and im sure they could do a greater job than Eagle has done in the past.Aker has already said next year will be his last, Welsh hasn't said it but he is really just keeping Grant's spot warm for a few months and I doubt he'd be at the club in 2010.

Eagle is an interesting one - I don't think he is quite as bad as others make out, however he does play a role that can be filled by others given a solid pre-season (gut-running assist player). I can't seee another club taking a 29/30 y.o. that isn't a genuine match-winner.

Honestly, who'd take Eagle for 2 years over Cousins for 2 years? They'd cost the same.

FrediKanoute
25-09-2008, 05:50 PM

West and Eagleton play completely differernt roles in the team. West = inside midfielder who's strength is getting in and under packs and dishing the ball out to running players like Eagleton. Eagleton's role in the team is about receiving the ball, running the lines and kicking long goals on the run or hitting a forward inside 50. they play a different game.

West's problem was that we have Cross, Boyd, Cooney, Griffin and Harbrow who can play his position effectively and have guys like Reid, Stack and Ward looking to step up in 2009 and 2010. Eagleton's luck is that that he is really not being pressured by yonger guys, especially now with Ray asking for a trade.

The Underdog
25-09-2008, 06:03 PM
West and Eagleton play completely differernt roles in the team. West = inside midfielder who's strength is getting in and under packs and dishing the ball out to running players like Eagleton. Eagleton's role in the team is about receiving the ball, running the lines and kicking long goals on the run or hitting a forward inside 50. they play a different game.

West's problem was that we have Cross, Boyd, Cooney, Griffin and Harbrow who can play his position effectively and have guys like Reid, Stack and Ward looking to step up in 2009 and 2010. Eagleton's luck is that that he is really not being pressured by yonger guys, especially now with Ray asking for a trade.

Eagleton's problem though is that for a large portion of this year he wasn't particularly effective at his role. I'm sure we have some young guys who would be worth a crack at a hard running/receiving role. I just think that what we lose by not having Eagleton, based on the last half of this year, is something we can live with if it means a guy like Ward, Stack or O'Keefe gets a more regular shot at senior footy.

Mofra
25-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Eagleton's problem though is that for a large portion of this year he wasn't particularly effective at his role. I'm sure we have some young guys who would be worth a crack at a hard running/receiving role. I just think that what we lose by not having Eagleton, based on the last half of this year, is something we can live with if it means a guy like Ward, Stack or O'Keefe gets a more regular shot at senior footy.
Perhaps a fair bit will depend on where Everitt plays next year - he could well play a hard-running, link-type role as his disposal is quite good and he makes good decisions when he gets teh pill.

The Underdog
25-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Perhaps a fair bit will depend on where Everitt plays next year - he could well play a hard-running, link-type role as his disposal is quite good and he makes good decisions when he gets teh pill.

Harbrow also showed in the prelim that he could be effective up the field and while he doesn't have Eagleton's long range kicking ability he is quite capable of running the lines, hitting a target and, ahem, tackling and pressuring.