PDA

View Full Version : Our back line

Stevo
27-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Having a look at our last couple of games where our back line performed so well it's easy to focus on our quest to recruit a key forward.
I think this was roughly the line up for those last two games.
Callan -- Lake -- Hargrave
Gilbee -- Morris -- Tiller

But given that we also have Williams, Everitt and Addison as viable contenders for games I'm starting to wonder if we should rob this line up of as couple of the stars.

If (and yes it is a big IF) Williams can come back and play a number of games and Everitt gets over the 2nd year blues we could resuffle this line up and send the likes of Lake and Tiller forward.
This revised line up doesn't look bad and we would still have Addison as an option as well.
Callan -- Williams -- Morris
Gilbee -- Everitt -- Hargrave

Would we be so bold and brave to move the likes of Lake and Tiller forward?
I know its a hard call to make in shuffling Lake forward but all this positions ourselves for marginal trades hasn't resulted in the outcomes we want.
All bar Callan are home grown recruits and I just wonder if we should keeping looking within before trying to pluck solutions from other sides? I can understand the need to trade for ruckman but if we have our recruiting right and I don't think we do the only other trading we should do is for guys like Callan with late picks.

GVGjr
27-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Hard call to pull the trigger on moving Lake to full forward which is the position I would assume you have allocated for him but it's an interesting suggestion. It's a shame that Wight hasn't developed into a strong candidate for key defensive position because then we might have the type of depth to cover for the inevitable Williams injury without having to drag Lake to the back line.

Perhaps getting someone like Jaymie Graham might give us some depth and mean we could play Lake as a forward.

FrediKanoute
27-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Hard call to pull the trigger on moving Lake to full forward which is the position I would assume you have allocated for him but it's an interesting suggestion. It's a shame that Wight hasn't developed into a strong candidate for key defensive position because then we might have the type of depth to cover for the inevitable Williams injury without having to drag Lake to the back line.

Perhaps getting someone like Jaymie Graham might give us some depth and mean we could play Lake as a forward.

I think if anyone will go frward it will be Everitt. Williams may go forward, but I think he will stay at CHB for the next few seasons. Tiller may be one to go forward as well.

GVGjr
27-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I think if anyone will go frward it will be Everitt. Williams may go forward, but I think he will stay at CHB for the next few seasons. Tiller may be one to go forward as well.

Agreed with all this but it does sound like you think Lake should stay at the critical FB position rather than being moved forward.

Mofra
27-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I would have earmarked Tiller as the player who can go forward; he spent plenty of time forward at Werribee/Willy and last year at senior level.

LostDoggy
28-09-2008, 01:57 AM
the lakester will never move from full bak. he has made that his home, his sanctuary, and when you move wild animals from their home they dont like it much. brizer reminds me of one such, and if we disturb him from his natural habitat be might do a barry hall on someone. then he will go to the tribunal and cause a coffufle which is what we do not need on our quest to become 2009 PREMIERS!!!

THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!

LostDoggy
28-09-2008, 03:52 PM
i recon the everitt will be a far better player if he was played on the wing rather than a key backman

Happy Days
28-09-2008, 07:21 PM
i recon the everitt will be a far better player if he was played on the wing rather than a key backman

Maybe so, but hes needed at CHB. I wouldnt trust Williams as far as I could throw him.

bornadog
29-09-2008, 10:39 AM
If Williams is up and running I see Everitt moving towards a CHF role in the next few years. He will have to put on some muscle. In the meantime his place is a third tall in the backline or on the wing.

bulldogsman
29-09-2008, 06:43 PM
When you look at it you don't really need Williams down there except for when maybe Franklin or Reiwoldt play. Just imagine a tall quick strong marking forward maybe he can't play that well forward, i don't know but its worth a trial in the NAB cup. Everitt could be trialled there as well or he can go back on the wing.

Cyberdoggie
29-09-2008, 07:57 PM

I agree with you there somewhat.

Last year we all marvelled a Everitt's run and carry without really focussing too much on his defensive work.

This year he started in a more key role in defense and struggled. Then he did his medial pre-season and took a long time to recover. When he got back he still looked sluggish and unfit. So when the run and carry left him so did his confidence and then i think we all got more critical of his defensive ability.

He was very slow off the mark and a long way away from his man on most occasions and still doesn't have much strength despite his increase in size, so he gets shoved out quite easily.

I'd like Everitt to get as fit as possible and work on getting that leg speed and his basic kicking skills back. He'll learn to be a defender in time but without his natural abililites he's just ordinary.

LostDoggy
29-09-2008, 09:32 PM
the lakester

Oh god. No. It brings back memories of the Hawks game and 50yr old train lady at 1 in the morning calling Buddy "the Budster". Horrid times.

Anyway, unrelated sorry.

I wouldn't feel safe without Lake in the backline for some reason. It's just not reassuring enough until someone can prove they can do his job i guess..

LostDoggy
29-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh god. No. It brings back memories of the Hawks game and 50yr old train lady at 1 in the morning calling Buddy "the Budster". Horrid times.

I dont even remember writing that :o

kempster
04-10-2008, 02:06 AM
I think we should play Williams forward look at the size of him perfect for our forward troubles

LostDoggy
04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I think we should play Williams forward look at the size of him perfect for our forward troubles

This could very well be an option but I think the coach believes he is a defender first and foremost.