PDA

View Full Version : Best and Fairest

LostDoggy
28-09-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm heading to Crown Tuesday night with my mob, anyone else going?

bornadog
29-09-2008, 10:33 AM

I will be there.

Bulldog Revolution
29-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm sure there will be a very fitting tribute to Westy, one of our all time greats

The club handled Monty, Robbo, Darc and Grant with absolute class last year

LostDoggy
29-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Ill be there.

LostDoggy
30-09-2008, 02:24 PM

I;ll be there with the better half

LostDoggy
30-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Is this tonight?

Wow, crept up.

Carn Coons

Bulldog Revolution
30-09-2008, 03:35 PM
It would be great to get a few posts summarising the night :D,

I know I'll be very appreciate of some insight

bornadog
01-10-2008, 11:11 AM
It would be great to get a few posts summarising the night :D,

I know I'll be very appreciate of some insight

Here are a couple of things in no particular order:

The evening started with the usual Smorgon speech, which basically didn't tell us anything we didn't know anyway. He did emphasise that there were 15 clubs that were unsuccessful for the season and only one that wins the premiership. He finished by saying if anyone knows a big key forward that is uncontracted to call Eade.

There was a very good tribute to Westy starting with a few quotes on screen from the players, followed by video highlights of his career, including a young number 14 kicking goals against Essendon. West then came on to the stage with his family and gave a pretty good speech. He started by having a go at Mike Sheahan who apparently has written that West is bitter and twisted over the ending of his career. West said he is not going to stoop to his low level by speaking about his article. He said despite what Sheahan has written he is not bitter at all. He may have been for two seconds when he was discussing his career with Eade, but then he just felt sadness that it had all ended. He thanked the club for giving him the opportunity to play AFL footy.

West also had a few of his footy mates that he played with there, including Monty, Steve Wallis, ( sorry can't remember them all).

Most players that won awards or were on stage, mentioned West and thanked him etc.

Eade's speech was ok, not dynamic but content was good. He said that after the 2006 finals, particluarly after the Collingwood win, the players had felt content. This year, after the prelim he was pleased in one way to see the players hurting and emotional about the loss to Geelong and the lost opportunity.

The B&F three place getters all gave a speech and all thanked West for helping them in the midfield (Boyd, Cooney and Cross). Cooney was funny again with a few things he said.

The night finished with a DVD that was made by the leadership group on the season and how they have felt about the prelim loss. It was put together to try and motivate the younger players to take their oportunities and put in even more effort than 2008 for 2009.

Other posters, please fell free to add to this.

LostDoggy
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the post bornadog appreciate the review.

bornadog
01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Mike Sheahan has given West a hard time over his career and not really rating him until a few years ago when he had to relent, after all the good performances and the 2nd in the brownlow (twice).

Is Mike a bulldogs supporter? A mate of mine saw him having a coffee in Richmond, where Mike's son runs a cafe. Mike had a bulldogs cap on.

Bulldog Revolution
01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks Bornadog, I'm disappointed not to have been there

Its normally very emotional to see guys finish their careers at a B&F, and its fabulous the way the club puts together all the highlights of them throughout their careers, and you realise how much joy they've brought you

bornadog
01-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks Bornadog, I'm disappointed not to have been there

Its normally very emotional to see guys finish their careers at a B&F, and its fabulous the way the club puts together all the highlights of them throughout their careers, and you realise how much joy they've brought you

Do you know if they put together DVD's of their highlights and sell to fans?

LostDoggy
01-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Mike Sheahan has given West a hard time over his career and not really rating him until a few years ago when he had to relent, after all the good performances and the 2nd in the brownlow (twice).

Is Mike a bulldogs supporter? A mate of mine saw him having a coffee in Richmond, where Mike's son runs a cafe. Mike had a bulldogs cap on.

Mike Sheehan is from Werribee and is a Carlton supporter as were many older residents as a result of the Comben influence.

The Coon Dog
01-10-2008, 12:57 PM

He was at the ELC a little while back with Coons & Aker & said he had a soft spot for 3 teams, of which he took out membership of; Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne & Melbourne.

LostDoggy
01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Great write up Bornadog, not more ill add to that except to say Bubba, Todd Curley and Jim Plunkett were also there, as well as a few older past players.

Gota say it was great to see Jimmy and Todd again, its been ages, found out Jimmy works around the corner from me hehe.

Bulldog Revolution
01-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Do you know if they put together DVD's of their highlights and sell to fans?

I dont think they do, I thought last year they should have just put the highlights that they show of Chris Grant's & the combined Robbo, Darc and Monty on Youtube

bornadog
01-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Just remembered something else.

I didn't realize the polling continued into the three finals, so they didn't stop at the home and away. Cross was still leading at the end of the 22 rounds and Cooney hardly polled during the finals. Boyd polled well to snatch third.

Go_Dogs
01-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone, made my lunch break all the more enjoyable. Sounds like a great night.

BulldogBelle
01-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the report bornadog, much appreciated. :)

Was the 'great man' Chris Grant there?

LostDoggy
01-10-2008, 09:38 PM
He was at the ELC a little while back with Coons & Aker & said he had a soft spot for 3 teams, of which he took out membership of; Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne & Melbourne.

Really? I don't know, I wouldn't know, but I find it kind of hard to believe, considering how he gave Coons a roast after he won the brownlow?

BulldogBelle
01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
I think that Mike Sheehan grew up in Bendigo and had 3 brothers. They lived in and owned the Rising Sun Hotel. Probably became associated with Carlton through their football and school mates Jeff Southby, Trevor Keogh and others.

That's if he is from the Sheehan's I'm thinking of.

Sockeye Salmon
01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Mike Sheahan is a Melbourne supporter.

Scorlibo
02-10-2008, 12:50 AM
including a young number 14 kicking goals against Essendon

Another argument for the number 7 to be handed to Callan Ward?

Leaves the #14 to another ruckman in Ayce.

LostDoggy
02-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Was the 'great man' Chris Grant there?

I didnt see him there, but then again i didnt see a few of the boys, i didnt really go looking for them tho, jsut wanted to enjoy the night with my friends.

But yeah none of them saw Granty either, im very suprised if he wasnt there.

BulldogBelle
02-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I didnt see him there, but then again i didnt see a few of the boys, i didnt really go looking for them tho, jsut wanted to enjoy the night with my friends.

But yeah none of them saw Granty either, im very suprised if he wasnt there.

Thanks minson27.

It wouldn't surprise me if Chris wasn't there he is not the type of person that actively seeks attention at every turn - he just likes to meld into the background.

LostDoggy
02-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Mike Sheahan is a Melbourne supporter.

Who has a membership with the Kangaroos & Bulldogs also (loved seeing him up cheering for us after the Semi Final Sydney win ;))

bornadog
02-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Who has a membership with the Kangaroos & Bulldogs also (loved seeing him up cheering for us after the Semi Final Sydney win ;))

Well, as I said, he was seen drinking coffee with a bulldogs cap.