PDA

View Full Version : 2008 All Clubs B & F

The Coon Dog
02-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Top 3 in all clubs 2008 B & F. I'll fill these in as they come to hand:

Adelaide - Nathan Bock (162) Simon Goodwin (151) Scott Thompson (147)

Brisbane - Jonathon Brown (53.5) Simon Black (51) Luke Power (46.5)

Carlton - Chris Judd (472) Marc Murphy (417) Brendan Fevola (373)

Collingwood - Dane Swan (53) Paul Medhurst (47) Scott Pendlebury (46)

Essendon - David Hille (256) Matthew Lloyd (216) Brett Stanton (188)

Fremantle - Matthew Pavlich (30) Aaron Sandilands (27) Luke McPharlin (26)

Geelong - Joeal Corey (591) Gary Ablett (538) Jimmy Bartel (522)

Hawthorn - Lance Franklin (216) Sam Mitchell (177) Luke Hodge (175)

Melbourne - Cameron Bruce (75) Brock McLean (60) Brad Green (57)

North Melbourne - Brent Harvey (759) Drew Petrie (731) Brady Rawlings (671)

Port Adelaide - Kane Cornes (135) Domenic Cassisi (115) Daniel Motlop (99)

Richmond - Brett Deledio (250) Shane Tuck (223) Matthew Richardson (203)

St. Kilda - Sam Fisher (680) Nick Riewoldt (643) Lenny Hayes (627)

Sydney - Jarrad McVeigh (578) Brett Kirk (568) Martin Mattner (532)

West Coast - Dean Cox (450) Quentin Lynch (360) Adam Selwood (315)

Western Bulldogs - Daniel Cross (191) Adam Cooney (167) Matthew Boyd (163)

The Coon Dog
03-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Poor Little Gazza, just can't take a trick. I wonder if those Geelong supporters that felt fit to vilify Adam Cooney will do likewise to Joel Corey?

Mantis
03-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Poor Little Gazza, just can't take a trick. I wonder if those Geelong supporters that felt fit to vilify Adam Cooney will do likewise to Joel Corey?

It shows that missing games makes it extremely hard to win awards where every game counts unlike awards such as the ALFPA MVP.

Scorlibo
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM

I must admit to enjoying hearing the news that he didn't win the B+F. He is a great player, but he knows it and has always had a touch of arrogance about him.

LostDoggy
03-10-2008, 05:28 PM
I must admit to enjoying hearing the news that he didn't win the B+F. He is a great player, but he knows it and has always had a touch of arrogance about him.

Compared to who? A dud?

Mantis
03-10-2008, 11:52 PM

I don't think know how that statement could be further from the truth.

One of the the most modest players in the competition.

kempster
04-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Swan won Collingwoods
Mcveigh won Sydneys

The Coon Dog
04-10-2008, 05:57 AM
Adelaide, Collingwood, North Melbourne, Sydney & West Coast all held their B & F's last night. Results in post #1.

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't think know how that statement could be further from the truth.

One of the the most modest players in the competition.

Not a chance, I think that Brownlow night said it all really, Ablett was upset and even appeared angry not to win it and not to get those 3 votes in round 22, whereas Cooney was genuinely surprised to win it and didn't rate himself. Ablett reads into his own hype - and there's a lot of it.

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Adelaide, Collingwood, North Melbourne, Sydney & West Coast all held their B & F's last night. Results in post #1.

Thanks TCD, no real surprises in the B+Fs so far.

Mantis
04-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Not a chance, I think that Brownlow night said it all really, Ablett was upset and even appeared angry not to win it and not to get those 3 votes in round 22, whereas Cooney was genuinely surprised to win it and didn't rate himself. Ablett reads into his own hype - and there's a lot of it.

A professional sportsman showing some disappointment when he didn't win the most prestigious individual award in the game. What a shock.

Of course he wants to win, just as he wanted to win the GF andwas upset when the team couldn't.

He gets paid to compete and be the best he can be so of course he will show some emotion when he doesn't win, I would expect the same of our player's.

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
A professional sportsman showing some disappointment when he didn't win the most prestigious individual award in the game. What a shock.

Of course he wants to win, just as he wanted to win the GF andwas upset when the team couldn't.

He gets paid to compete and be the best he can be so of course he will show some emotion when he doesn't win, I would expect the same of our player's.

He expected to win that Brownlow. That showed in his reaction.

As a proffesional sportsman, you shouldn't expect or assume anything, especially when it is the most prestigious individual award in the game, and when your chance of winning is minimal. Brownlow night showed that Ablett thought he was the best and that is a thought that I never want one of our players to adopt, even if they are the best.

LostDoggy
04-10-2008, 05:42 PM
He didn't appear angry.
He was upset like any favourite would in the same situation. It was hardly arrogant.

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 06:28 PM
He didn't appear angry.
He was upset like any favourite would in the same situation. It was hardly arrogant.

Not my interpretation.

LostDoggy
04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Mattner finishing third was a bit surprising for me, but admittedly I don't watch a lot of Sydney matches. I like B&F's for this reason, it shows you who is doing the job the coach asked him to, which we are often unaware of.

I'm not sure what I think of Ablett, he obviously wanted to win a Brownlow, but who doesn't? We don't know if he expected to win it or not, but if he did expect to win it then he would be a bit arrogant, purely because he effectively missed 5 games, which is a fair chunk of the 22 matches...the voting from those rounds can't be ignored just because a favourite missed. I'd be upset if any of our players didn't show any emotion after a Grand Final loss, at least his fans know he gave everything he had- he wanted to win, they didn't and he knows that those opportunities don't come around every day, so we can't really have a go at him for that.

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Mattner finishing third was a bit surprising for me, but admittedly I don't watch a lot of Sydney matches. I like B&F's for this reason, it shows you who is doing the job the coach asked him to, which we are often unaware of.

I'm not sure what I think of Ablett, he obviously wanted to win a Brownlow, but who doesn't? We don't know if he expected to win it or not, but if he did expect to win it then he would be a bit arrogant, purely because he effectively missed 5 games, which is a fair chunk of the 22 matches...the voting from those rounds can't be ignored just because a favourite missed. I'd be upset if any of our players didn't show any emotion after a Grand Final loss, at least his fans know he gave everything he had- he wanted to win, they didn't and he knows that those opportunities don't come around every day, so we can't really have a go at him for that.

Yea I agree with all of that, I'm not having a go at him for wanting to win the Grand Final or for showing emotion after the Grand Final (Bubba Smith became my favourite player for the way he wore his heart on his sleeve, that image of him thumping the ground after '97 prelim will forever be imprinted on my mind), I just thought the way he reacted on Brownlow night was not right.

The difference between being angry after a Grand Final loss and being angry after a Brownlow count is that with the GF you are angry yourself for letting the opportunity slip, whereas with the Brownlow, if you are angry on the night, you are angry at the umpires' voting.

Back on to topic though, I agree with you DG38 with how the B+Fs bring out some of the players who do their job but go unnoticed. Who do we think will win the remaining B+Fs?

My prediction: Luke Power (Brisbane), Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle), Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn), Kane Cornes (Port Adelaide), Lenny Hayes (St Kilda)

The Coon Dog
04-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Who do we think will win the remaining B+Fs?

My prediction: Luke Power (Brisbane), Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle), Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn), Kane Cornes (Port Adelaide), Lenny Hayes (St Kilda)

Simon Black, Matthew Pavlich, Chance Bateman, Shaun Burgoyne & Nick Reiwoldt.

LostDoggy
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Not my interpretation.
Imagination not interpretation.

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Imagination not interpretation.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, even those as blind as yourself, even those as "imaginitive not interpretative" as myself.

LostDoggy
04-10-2008, 08:55 PM
If you think Albett is arrogant then what do you think of half the Hawthorn team and numerous other players in the league eg Fev, Richo, Bucks, Cuz?
In a measure of arrogance in AFL footballer Gary Abblet Jnr would not be near the top. You are misinterpreting him being a champ for arrogance.

Curly5
04-10-2008, 08:55 PM
I felt a bit sorry for Gary, but he shouldn't have believed his own publicity, no matter how good a player he is. The media will pump everyone up the way THEY want, for maximum drama and a "story". As we know only too well, with Scott West being touted as a Brownlow favourite more than once, the reality is very often quite different.

It was probably better for Cooney to win, as he obviously wasn't expecting to, and wouldn't have been that disappointed if he hadn't won. I thought it was disgraceful on the night of the Brownlow how they kept the cameras on Ablett and worked in a long interview with him, asking if he'd like to go one better than his Dad, etc. The AFL connived at his humiliation by going along with this, as THEY ALREADY KNEW THE OUTCOME. (Anyone who believes that the winner is a secret until the last vote is deluding themselves).

I have a poster of Adam on my wall marked WINNER, and the pics of the next 3 vote-getters on the bottom marked 1ST LOSER, 2ND LOSER and 3RD LOSER. :D

LostDoggy
04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I felt a bit sorry for Gary, but he shouldn't have believed his own publicity, no matter how good a player he is. The media will pump everyone up the way THEY want, for maximum drama and a "story". As we know only too well, with Scott West being touted as a Brownlow favourite more than once, the reality is very often quite different.

Exactly. No one here called West arrogant when he appeared disappointed in losing a deserved Brownlow.

I felt sorry for him too. He is seems like a honest and shy bloke with no where near the reputation his father had.

The Coon Dog
04-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Well said Curly5 & welcome, if belatedly to WOOF. Took you long enough! ;)

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 09:53 PM
If you think Albett is arrogant then what do you think of half the Hawthorn team and numerous other players in the league eg Fev, Richo, Bucks, Cuz?
In a measure of arrogance in AFL footballer Gary Abblet Jnr would not be near the top. You are misinterpreting him being a champ for arrogance.

Buddy Franklin is almost unbearable. His team can sometimes follow suit. Fev is just plain stupid, with the way he carries on you would hope for him to be playing in a top eight team. Richo can come across as a little arrogant but then watching Brownlow night, he was having a good chuckle, enjoying himself and then enjoying seeing another player in Cooney get up - contrasting Ablett's behaviour. Bucks is a champion bloke and modest. Cuz is another idiot who inflates his chest to go with his reputation.

I am not misinterpreting him being a champ for him being arrogant :p. I acknowledge that he is a champ, the best player in the game.

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Welcome Curly5! A considered first post:)

Happy Days
04-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Bucks is a champion bloke and modest.

So THATSSS why they call him figjam...

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 10:08 PM
So THATSSS why they call him figjam...

Its a nice little payout but one which Buckley doesn't deserve.

The Coon Dog
05-10-2008, 12:33 AM
I was surprised that Nick Riewoldt got pipped at St.Kilda. Just waiting on Freo's now.

The Coon Dog
05-10-2008, 03:24 AM
All done, here they are again.

Adelaide - Nathan Bock (162) Simon Goodwin (151) Scott Thompson (147)

Brisbane - Jonathon Brown (53.5) Simon Black (51) Luke Power (46.5)

Carlton - Chris Judd (472) Marc Murphy (417) Brendan Fevola (373)

Collingwood - Dane Swan (53) Paul Medhurst (47) Scott Pendlebury (46)

Essendon - David Hille (256) Matthew Lloyd (216) Brett Stanton (188)

Fremantle - Matthew Pavlich (30) Aaron Sandilands (27) Luke McPharlin (26)

Geelong - Joel Corey (591) Gary Ablett (538) Jimmy Bartel (522)

Hawthorn - Lance Franklin (216) Sam Mitchell (177) Luke Hodge (175)

Melbourne - Cameron Bruce (75) Brock McLean (60) Brad Green (57)

North Melbourne - Brent Harvey (759) Drew Petrie (731) Brady Rawlings (671)

Port Adelaide - Kane Cornes (135) Domenic Cassisi (115) Daniel Motlop (99)

Richmond - Brett Deledio (250) Shane Tuck (223) Matthew Richardson (203)

St. Kilda - Sam Fisher (680) Nick Riewoldt (643) Lenny Hayes (627)

Sydney - Jarrad McVeigh (578) Brett Kirk (568) Martin Mattner (532)

West Coast - Dean Cox (450) Quentin Lynch (360) Adam Selwood (315)

Western Bulldogs - Daniel Cross (191) Adam Cooney (167) Matthew Boyd (163)

GVGjr
05-10-2008, 08:34 AM
The two that stand out to me as their clubs getting it very wrong is Scott Thompson from the Crows and Matthew Richardson from he Tigers. I struggle to see how they could come third as both had great seasons. I could accept them being the runners up but third just doesn't seem right.

Scorlibo
05-10-2008, 05:04 PM
The two that stand out to me as their clubs getting it very wrong is Scott Thompson from the Crows and Matthew Richardson from he Tigers. I struggle to see how they could come third as both had great seasons. I could accept them being the runners up but third just doesn't seem right.

Best and Fairests tend to reward consistency and Richo, like Cooney, dropped off towards the end of the year. Bock has had a great year, I don't have any problem with him getting it but third for Thompson does seem a little strange.