PDA

View Full Version : Dogs land in Fiji for recruiting drive

The Coon Dog
03-10-2008, 07:45 AM
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6281348,00.jpg

5000 islander hopefuls in recruiters sights (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24438501-19742,00.html)

Mark Stevens - October 03, 2008

THE Western Bulldogs are poised to sign up to four Fijians in an historic push into the South Pacific.

As many 5000 hopefuls are expected to attend Bulldogs trials in Labasa and Suva later this month.

Bulldogs recruiting manager Scott Clayton last night confirmed at least one player will be signed.

But the Dogs are willing to commit to as many as four under AFL international rookie rules.

After several months of planning, the Bulldogs hope the trials will uncover the next Nicholas Naitanui.

And they are leaving nothing to chance, distributing 3000 posters throughout Coca-Cola outlets in Fiji.

The posters urge anybody tall, fast and agile with a desire to play elite-level sport to attend.

Ruckman Will Minson, who will travel to Fiji for the trials, appears on the posters with Josh Hill.

The Labasa trial will be held on October 17, with the Dogs moving to Suva the next day.

Naitanui, a top-three draft prospect of Fijian origin, sparked Clayton's interest in what was uncharted recruiting territory.

Clayton, seduced by the athletic talents of Naitanui at first sight, has travelled to Fiji several times this year perusing talent.

The Dogs' "Project Fiji" has been bankrolled by influential supporter and businessman Shaun Bassett.

Clayton said the Fiji push was not a gimmick.

"Everyone is looking at internationals. There are eight clubs in Ireland," Clayton said.

"We aren't involved there, but we are on the ground now in Fiji."

The Dogs will take advantage of a rule introduced in March that allows clubs to secure internationals for an up-front $1000 payment.

It is likely the players signed will remain in Fiji next year, where they will be closely monitored.

There is a strong chance any signed player who shows significant progress will then be relocated to Melbourne and added to the Dogs' list as an international rookie.

Clubs can sign up to eight internationals a season for as little as $1000, in a move designed to promote international expansion.

Previously, they could sign six players and had to pay them $10,000 each if they remained in their home country.

The Herald Sun revealed the Dogs' Fiji experiment in April, but it has gathered significant momentum since, with trials and now a commitment to sign at least one player.

Fiji is renowned for producing rugby greats; the Dogs are eyeing taller mobile athletes.

The promotional material states: "Our primary focus will be on athletes with a strong vertical leap and exceptional ball handling skills who are tall, fast and agile . . . if you have these attributes, come along and try out, you might just be the next AFL superstar".

Clayton has already built a strong network throughout Fiji, including members of Naitanui's extended family.

He is intent of plucking players from the South Pacific before leaving to take up a new role with Gold Coast after the national draft.

Backer Bassett, who runs a cleaning business, said early indications from Fiji were that 5000 could try out.

He said the $1000 sign-on fee was not the main carrot, with Fijian athletes eyeing a five to 10-year career earning significantly more.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Sign them up before Clayton leaves, and introduce the new face to the locals instead of Scott.

I like the move.

Thanks TCD.

Mofra
03-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm a little worried that big Will is going over - rugby heritage or not, wont he scare the bejesus out of them?

bornadog
03-10-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm a little worried that big Will is going over - rugby heritage or not, wont he scare the bejesus out of them?

Have you seen the size of some of those blokes over there, they make Will look like a jockey:D

Go_Dogs
03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Pleased to see this is still happening.

Mofra
03-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Have you seen the size of some of those blokes over there, they make Will look like a jockey:D
Imagine the size of those fricken horses :eek:

Rocket Science
03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
"The posters urge anybody tall, fast and agile with a desire to play elite-level sport to attend."

Oh btw, did we mention tall?

bulldogtragic
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
"The posters urge anybody tall, fast and agile with a desire to play elite-level sport to attend."

Oh btw, did we mention tall?
News just in,

Peter Street has just filed for Fijian Citizenship.

Sockeye Salmon
03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
News just in,

Peter Street has just filed for Fijian Citizenship.

Someone should email him the dictionary definitions for "fast" and "agile" before he pays the money.

Scorlibo
03-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Does anybody else find this a little hopeless? I hope that the program is successful but I have an inkling that it'll just be a very expensive way to get an athletic Fijian onto our list for five years, never making the grade because of poor skills. Pleeaase Clayton, FOOTBALLER FIRST, ATHLETE SECOND.

Go_Dogs
03-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Does anybody else find this a little hopeless? I hope that the program is successful but I have an inkling that it'll just be a very expensive way to get an athletic Fijian onto our list for five years, never making the grade because of poor skills. Pleeaase Clayton, FOOTBALLER FIRST, ATHLETE SECOND.

A lot of the kids will come from rugby type backgrounds, so their ball handling/marking etc should all be decent. Teaching them how to kick and where to run is meant to be the easy part, especially given our new training facilities, so I don't really see it as a big issue.

We've received financial backing for this, so it's basically costing us nothing, and we could land a few very good prospects...its international rookies too, so has no effect on our draft or list management. Obviously its long-term, but if we pick up a few 17-20 year old kids, they could still play for 7+ years, even if it took them 3 years to 'learn' the game.

Scorlibo
03-10-2008, 01:43 PM
A lot of the kids will come from rugby type backgrounds, so their ball handling/marking etc should all be decent. Teaching them how to kick and where to run is meant to be the easy part, especially given our new training facilities, so I don't really see it as a big issue.

We've received financial backing for this, so it's basically costing us nothing, and we could land a few very good prospects...its international rookies too, so has no effect on our draft or list management. Obviously its long-term, but if we pick up a few 17-20 year old kids, they could still play for 7+ years, even if it took them 3 years to 'learn' the game.

Ok, all in all there isn't much to be lost then, I suppose I just get sick of Clayton's mentality and excitement over athletic players. I know that if I was a recruiting officer that the first thing I'd look for would be someone with a great kick and good field positioning - good knowledge of the game, not how high they could jump at draft camp etc.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2008, 01:44 PM
If we get one decent player, and it has cost us say (actually Bassett our befactor) $50,000 then it's worth it.

I'm sure he feels it's a saefr bet than putting Tommy Gun on the rookie list again.

Again Mr Bassett, on behalf of all members and supporters, i'm sorry you had to waste your money like that. But this time...

bulldogtragic
03-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Ok, all in all there isn't much to be lost then, I suppose I just get sick of Clayton's mentality and excitement over athletic players. I know that if I was a recruiting officer that the first thing I'd look for would be someone with a great kick and good field positioning - good knowledge of the game, not how high they could jump at draft camp etc.
Look at NicNat, a freak in terms of speed and agility, but he still seems to kick a little up and under from what i have seen.

Needs time, if we can get some raw talent for $1000 and cut out 15 other clubs from drafting them, than it's a decent move.

I'm sure 25 years ago we would have had this convo about moving into Ireland becuase of some young ruckman JimSty...

Scorlibo
03-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Look at NicNat, a freak in terms of speed and agility, but he still seems to kick a little up and under from what i have seen.

Needs time, if we can get some raw talent for $1000 and cut out 15 other clubs from drafting them, than it's a decent move.

I'm sure 25 years ago we would have had this convo about moving into Ireland becuase of some young ruckman JimSty...

That's what we said about Faz and his kicking, but it never showed a lot of improvement. NicNat's field positioning is quite shocking, yes it can be taught to him but it'll never be of the same standard of a player who has being playing footy since auskick level. I think this Fiji move is taking a step in the right direction for the game, just as we moved into Irish territory as you said. Clayton just seems to pick out some athletic smoky every draft now, as though to make himself look clever and insightful. It bugs me.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2008, 02:01 PM
That's what we said about Faz and his kicking, but it never showed a lot of improvement. NicNat's field positioning is quite shocking, yes it can be taught to him but it'll never be of the same standard of a player who has being playing footy since auskick level. I think this Fiji move is taking a step in the right direction for the game, just as we moved into Irish territory as you said. Clayton just seems to pick out some athletic smoky every draft now, as though to make himself look clever and insightful. It bugs me.
I'll second that.

Dylan '*******' Addison was a brilliant selection.

Jesse Wells, poo selection.

Sockeye Salmon
03-10-2008, 02:48 PM
How would be a big, athletic rugby player from Fiji be any different from a Tom Williams who was a big, athletic rugby player from Queensland?

They cost us next to nothing so if we can find a kid who is 6' 6" and athletic (but does have a neck so is therefore ineligible to play rugby) who can already kick a rugby ball a bit, well, maybe.

Stynes and Kennelly didn't have any idea of what they were supposed to be doing at first either.

bornadog
03-10-2008, 03:08 PM
How would be a big, athletic rugby player from Fiji be any different from a Tom Williams who was a big, athletic rugby player from Queensland?

They cost us next to nothing so if we can find a kid who is 6' 6" and athletic (but does have a neck so is therefore ineligible to play rugby) who can already kick a rugby ball a bit, well, maybe.

Stynes and Kennelly didn't have any idea of what they were supposed to be doing at first either.

Exactly SS, what is the difference with the Irish recruits, or the foray into South Africa. Wouldn't it be exciting if we found a big athletic Fijian for practically nothing.

Rocket Science
03-10-2008, 03:52 PM
agreed...at a grand a pop, what's the harm? We've surely plumbed worse depths via the more conventional means.

LostDoggy
03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Did anyone else get to the 'G early enough to watch the AFL 'World Cup' final before the first qualifying final against the Hawks? Fiji won it from NZ, and they've got some decent talent floating about, if that team is anything to go by. Perfect physical proportions for AFL, and the guy who won the Golden Boot and kicked the last goal of the match straight through the middle, after the siren, a set shot from 45 out on the right hand boundary line, looked to have pretty decent skills.

There was a time when the NBA were filled with white guys and they said that blacks were too undisciplined to ever make it as professional basketballers. Oh, and many English pundits said Brazil would never win a soccer World Cup because they didn't defend and play the game 'properly'.

You may not uncover the greatest player of all time in your first swoop, but it is a great initiative. I won't be surprised if we see an influx of Fijian players once Natanui kicks on, and being the first club in, and thus the most 'well-known' in Fiji is great brand positioning as far as potential recruiting goes.

LostDoggy
03-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Whoops -- it was PNG that won the International Cup, not Fiji. But my point stands -- there's talent out there in the islands, and they're the perfect build for the game.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2008, 07:24 PM
BUMP.

Today was the first of the two day try outs.

bigwoofa
17-10-2008, 08:15 PM
can anybody give me the odds of us picking somebody up?

Dancin' Douggy
17-10-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm bored to tears without footy, but I'm not THAT bored.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Any word, gossip, inuendo?

aker39
21-10-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24527403-19742,00.html

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' push to sign the next Nicholas Naitanui has seen them commit to two Fijians under the AFL's international scholarship scheme. The Bulldogs conducted two trials in Fiji at the weekend after months of research, and have decided on two promising teens.

Inoke Ratu, a 19-year-old 197cm tall with good pace and an excellent leap, will join Solomoni Loki, a 16-year-old midfield type on the scholarship list.

Both will remain in Fiji under a $1000-a-year commitment from the Bulldogs, but will follow a strict development program, visit Whitten Oval several times and play in a new Oceania zone of the International Cup.

Bulldogs recruiting manager Scott Clayton has travelled to Fiji five times this year as the club seeks to find the next freakish athletic talent.

The scheme is funded by devoted Bulldogs fan Shaun Bassett, with the club determined to look at new recruiting pathways with a compromised draft about to come into effect.

Clayton, who will join the Gold Coast side after this year's national draft, believes there is real promise in Fiji.

"We have watched quite a few sporting events and athletics carnivals and we have set up a pretty strong network, so there is a structure to go forward with," he said.

Development coach Simon Dalrymple, who attended the camp with Bulldogs ruckman Will Minson, said the players had been involved in athletics, rugby and soccer as juniors.

"They are starting from a long way back, but they have the athletic traits which give them a chance of success," he said.

"They need to be diligent about things, but we think we can provide a really strong program and give them every chance to be in a position to put their name forward in a number of years."

The next step for the players would be to relocate to Melbourne under the scholarship scheme.

The Bulldogs yesterday signed former Melbourne assistant Paul Williams as their new forward coach.

Williams has signed a two-year deal and will replace Wayne Campbell, who has returned to Richmond and is already being spoken about as a potential senior coach.

LostDoggy
21-10-2008, 04:03 PM
$1000 a Year doesn't sound great..

Im sure its plenty over there though :)

Good to hear we have signed a couple of potential-talents.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2008, 04:23 PM
$1000 a Year doesn't sound great..

Im sure its plenty over there though :)

Good to hear we have signed a couple of potential-talents.
$1000 AUD is $1207.70 Fijian Dollars.

Bread over here is $3 a loaf. Bread in Fiji is 70 cents a loaf.

Using that as a very unscientific guide, It's net worth is about $5000 per annum.

Unemplyment in Fiji about twice that of Australia, with the average wage being significantly less.

$1000 a year off the back of a try out of game most likely not played before is a good get for these kds. I hope with a few years of development and education they can show us something. I think we have to be very realistic though, but still a cause for some excitement.