PDA

View Full Version : Sheehans top 50?

GVGjr
04-10-2008, 12:09 PM
What did everyone think of Sheehan's top 50 players for the 2008 season?

One think that stood out for me is the way some in the media overrate Tom Harley. If he is in the top 20 then the standard of football wasn't great this season. Scott Thompson at 47 undervalues his season in my opinion. I admire Scarlet but surely he wasn't the 5th best player for the season.

Thoughts?

LostDoggy
04-10-2008, 12:35 PM
I noticed his underhand dig at the Brownlow medalist by having him at no. 9:confused:

LostDoggy
04-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I noticed his underhand dig at the Brownlow medalist by having him at no. 9:confused:

I didn't see it that way. Would you have had Cooney at number 1?
I have no problem with Ablett and Franklin being ahead of him.

wimberga
04-10-2008, 01:08 PM

I dont have a problem with those two being ahead of him, nor Hodge or B.Harvey. I do have a problem with Scarlett Bartel and Fevola being ahead of cooney.

LostDoggy
04-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Tom Harley is a good honest player but is supported alot by his teamates. If you put him into say Collingwood's backline he would be found out with his lack of skill and such. I dont know how Sheehan rates Harley above Hudgeton.

Stefcep
04-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Tom Harley is a good honest player but is supported alot by his teamates. If you put him into say Collingwood's backline he would be found out with his lack of skill and such. I dont know how Sheehan rates Harley above Hudgeton.

I reckon you can say the same for about 9 other Geelong players,

Mantis
04-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Joel Corey at 3 is a disgrace.

I wouldn't have in the top 15.

Scorlibo
04-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Joel Corey at 3 is a disagrace.

I wouldn't have in the top 15.

Agreed. Corey was the biggest ball winner in the competition but he doesn't have the effect on games of ten or so below him.

Cooney>Fevola, Corey, Scarlett

Harley is way too high at 20, I would rate Lake on par with him and yet Lake doesn't even make the top 50.

Osborne is the biggest boo-boo though, so many players deserve to be in ahead of him. Gilbee deserves a spot if Mackie does.

sobriquet
04-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Geelong were always going to have a bigger presence than they deserved, having only lost 2 games for the year. They don't deserve ten in the top 50, I think. Certainly don't deserve so many in the top 10. They're made to look better because of the support they get from those around them.

LostDoggy
05-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Probably would have had him around 5.

And I took it as a dig as Mike wrote an article the other week basically calling Cooney a hack and the worst Brownlow medal winner since Woewodin:o

Dancin' Douggy
05-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Boyd must be over the moon to have made Mike's top 50.

Dogs 24/7
05-10-2008, 01:59 PM

And I took it as a dig as Mike wrote an article the other week basically calling Cooney a hack and the worst Brownlow medal winner since Woewodin:o

Cooney at 5 is way to high. Top 12 is a fair spot. Do you have the link where Sheehan calls Cooney a hack and makes reference comparing him to Woey?

The Pie Man
05-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Where was Bob Murphy? Good enough to make the squad of 40 for AA.....

LostDoggy
05-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Where was Bob Murphy? Good enough to make the squad of 40 for AA.....

At number 40 IIRC.

Topdog
06-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Cooney at 5 is way to high. Top 12 is a fair spot. Do you have the link where Sheehan calls Cooney a hack and makes reference comparing him to Woey?

How is 5 too high? He is way better than guys like Corey.

People get blinded by players that are at fantastic teams. Corey never gets tagged and is basically given free reign by the oppostition club each and every week. Cooney has the number 1 tag every week and still has more affect on the game. I think 5 is right where he would slot in.
Gablett
Buddy
Harvey
Hodge
Cooney

MrMahatma
06-10-2008, 04:16 AM

Cooney will have a better season next year than he did this year, IMO. Watch for him to poll very highly again, and possibly go back to back.

He was a worthy winner this season. But his best is still ahead of him.

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Judd & Fev Top 10? No.

Judd & Fev Top 20? Yes.

Shuffle Cooney up a bit, he should be ahead of Brent Harvey without a question (Harvey 6th or so?)

Scarlett Top 10 i think is good, but not 5th..more towards the back of the 10

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2008, 12:25 PM
1. G. Ablett, Geelong.
2. L. Franklin, Hawthorn.
3. J. Corey, Geelong.
4. L. Hodge, Hawthorn.
5. M. Scarlett, Geelong.
6. B. Harvey, North Melbourne.
7. J. Bartel, Geelong.
8. B. Fevola, Carlton.
9. A. Cooney, Western Bulldogs.
10. C. Judd, Carlton.
11. S. Fisher, St Kilda.
12. M. Richardson, Richmond.
13. M. Pavlich, Fremantle.
14. N. Riewoldt, St Kilda.
15. D. Cox, West Coast.
16. J. Selwood, Geelong.
17. S. Black, Brisbane.
18. J. Brown, Brisbane.
19. S. Mitchell, Hawthorn.
20. T. Harley, Geelong.
21. D. Cross, Western Bulldogs.
22. C. Ling, Geelong.
23. M. Hudghton, St Kilda.
24. N. Bock, Adelaide.
25. A. Mackie, Geelong.
26. C. Bateman, Hawthorn.
27. D. Bradshaw, Brisbane.
28. D. Petrie, North Melbourne.
29. C. Enright, Geelong.
30. K. Cornes, Port Adelaide.
31. P. Medhurst, Collingwood.
32. S. Johnson, Geelong.
33. J. Roughead, Hawthorn.
34. D. Morris, Western Bulldogs.
35. R. O'Keefe, Sydney.
36. L. Davis, Collingwood.
37. D. Motlop, Port Adelaide.
38. A. Sandilands, Fremantle.
39. B. Sewell, Hawthorn.
40. R. Murphy, Western Bulldogs.
41. B. Kirk, Sydney.
42. B. Deledio, Richmond.
43. J. McVeigh, Sydney.
44. D. Swan, Collingwood.
45. L. Hayes, St Kilda.
46. L. Power, Brisbane.
47. S. Thompson, Adelaide.
48. M. Osborne, Hawthorn.
49. D. Hille, Essendon.
50. M. Boyd, Western Bulldogs.

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Corey definitely deserves a place in the top 50, he gets it more than any other player in the comp, but #3 is too high and reserved for the match winning type talents in my eyes

Scarlett is overrated at #5, he's very good but he spends most of the season playing on nobody, and plays more like a loose man in the backline, whilst Taylor etc frequently get given the main men. On Grand Final day he played on Buddy and did a good job, but he didn't provide anywhere near the run and drive he does normally.

A reasonable assessment of where Cooney is at,

Harley shouldn't be in there, did Hayes and Power have strong seasons?

Enright over Gilbee always seems ridiculous to me

Medhurst overrated I would have thought

I'd have McVeigh, Thompson and Murphy higher, and Cross lower even though I love him, as well as Petrie, Fisher and Selwood

Osborne had a brilliant finals series but I wouldn't have him in this list yet, nor Hudghton

Cox, Mitchell, Pavlich, Brown, S Johnson, Bateman would also be higher in my list, and I'd have Didak in there regardless of a club suspension

bornadog
06-10-2008, 12:48 PM
How is 5 too high? He is way better than guys like Corey.

People get blinded by players that are at fantastic teams. Corey never gets tagged and is basically given free reign by the oppostition club each and every week. Cooney has the number 1 tag every week and still has more affect on the game. I think 5 is right where he would slot in.
Gablett
Buddy
Harvey
Hodge
Cooney

I do not rate Harvey in the top 5, he is lucky to be in the top 20 for me. (umpires agree as well;))

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 12:49 PM
The joke ones are these

11. S. Fisher, St Kilda.
23. M. Hudghton, St Kilda.
26. C. Bateman, Hawthorn.
31. P. Medhurst, Collingwood.
48. M. Osborne, Hawthorn.

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Do you think Bateman is too high there Ernie

I thought he had a terrific season and has really turned into a very hard player to stop given his incredible running ability

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Do you think Bateman is too high there Ernie

I thought he had a terrific season and has really turned into a very hard player to stop given his incredible running ability

yes i do

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Fisher at 11?

That's ridiculous!

Mike has made some strange observations, many of which have already been noted.

Great to see Morris in the Top 50 though. He's starting to become well recognized as a seriously good defender, and he deserves every bit of it. For somebody who played Werribee VFL to make a Top 50 in the AFL, it's a wonderful achievement.

Great find by the club.

Mantis
06-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Fisher at 11?

That's ridiculous!

Mike has made some strange observations, many of which have already been noted.

Great to see Morris in the Top 50 though. He's starting to become well recognized as a seriously good defender, and he deserves every bit of it. For somebody who played Werribee VFL to make a Top 50 in the AFL, it's a wonderful achievement.

Great find by the club.

Same should be said of Matthew Boyd who was playing reserves for Frankston when he was placed on our rookie list, well not the defender part.

hujsh
07-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Who cares? His lists mean nothing and are based on fantasy